Erdrick The Hero

Advice needed: Relocating for a Job

Posted (edited)

So, my best friend (we'll call him Danicka - that's the name of his DQX character) and I both just received offers for a nice job that pays more than I've ever made and offers full medical/dental/optical benefits, as well as all sorts of on-site benefits including a gym and a cafeteria run by gourmet chefs. We're already guaranteed at least twice the amount of hours I work now (my current job only gives 20-25 hrs/week) with built-in overtime each day and alternating 3-4 day weekends (the shifts are really long to make this work, but it sounds totally worth it). Suffice to say, we both accepted the offer. 

There's a problem though: It's in a city about 2 hours north and we are both broke. Like, we have no money. My current job, as stated above, doesn't give me very many hours, and it pays minimum wage. As it is, I've already had to start living with Danicka at his grandmother's home just to stay off the streets. He currently works delivering the local newspaper. It used to be a decent gig, but subscriptions are dropping like flies and the price of gas has risen to the point where between the two of us, he can barely afford to make the deliveries. Once gas is bought and we pay off the bills, we've barely got money for food. Neither one of us can afford to move. And we have to move in less than a month, now. Rent in the area is bare minimum $1200/month for a two-bedroom or $1600/month for a three-bedroom. Now, we plan on renting a three-bedroom with another friend of mine (who also got the job, he starts a week or two before us) as soon as we can afford to, but we have to save money first (he lives just close enough now that he can afford to carpool to work with a few others in the area, but he's about an hour in the opposite direction of our destination as we are).

Right now, our best plan is to camp in Danicka's van on public land in the area for 3-4 days a week on worknights, and come back down to his home for the weekends. We've got a deep-cycle leisure battery in the van with a power inverter so we'll have power (though we still need a charger of some sort, whether it be a wall-powered charger we can charge when we're home/parked somewhere, or a split-charger powered by the alternator), and we're looking into starting memberships at a gym in the area so we'll have access to a bathroom/shower. (We both could use some time at the gym anyway. We don't get access to the company gym until we've been there for a few months.)

Obviously, that doesn't sound ideal. That's why I've written up this post, asking for advice. If you guys have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

So, my best friend (we'll call him Danicka - that's the name of his DQX character) and I both just received offers for a nice job that pays more than I've ever made and offers full medical/dental/optical benefits, as well as all sorts of on-site benefits including a gym and a cafeteria run by gourmet chefs. We're already guaranteed at least twice the amount of hours I work now (my current job only gives 20-25 hrs/week) with built-in overtime each day and alternating 3-4 day weekends (the shifts are really long to make this work, but it sounds totally worth it). Suffice to say, we both accepted the offer. 
There's a problem though: It's in a city about 2 hours north and we are both broke. Like, we have no money. My current job, as stated above, doesn't give me very many hours, and it pays minimum wage. As it is, I've already had to start living with Danicka at his grandmother's home just to stay off the streets. He currently works delivering the local newspaper. It used to be a decent gig, but subscriptions are dropping like flies and the price of gas has risen to the point where between the two of us, he can barely afford to make the deliveries. Once gas is bought and we pay off the bills, we've barely got money for food. Neither one of us can afford to move. And we have to move in less than a month, now. Rent in the area is bare minimum $1200/month for a two-bedroom or $1600/month for a three-bedroom. Now, we plan on renting a three-bedroom with another friend of mine (who also got the job, he starts a week or two before us) as soon as we can afford to, but we have to save money first (he lives just close enough now that he can afford to carpool to work with a few others in the area, but he's about an hour in the opposite direction of our destination as we are).

Right now, our best plan is to camp in Danicka's van on public land in the area for 3-4 days a week on worknights, and come back down to his home for the weekends. We've got a deep-cycle leisure battery in the van with a power inverter so we'll have power (though we still need a charger of some sort, whether it be a wall-powered charger we can charge when we're home/parked somewhere, or a split-charger powered by the alternator), and we're looking into starting memberships at a gym in the area so we'll have access to a bathroom/shower. (We both could use some time at the gym anyway. We don't get access to the company gym until we've been there for a few months.)
Obviously, that doesn't sound ideal. That's why I've written up this post, asking for advice. If you guys have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thank you for your time.
Check on shelters or halfway homes or Federal housing in the area.

What do you consider too long of a commute?

I was recently in a position where I could take a job 80 miles from my apartment.  Thats about a 2-3 hour commute each way.  Pay was about 30% more than i was making.

I took it.  I drove 80 miles each day.  It sucked, but after a couple months I was able to move closer to work.  I now live about 40 miles away.  I didnt want to move further because I'd miss my friends.  My commute is now about an hour long.

I live in SoCal.  We're used to driving a long time here.  But I can tell you, long commutes don't need to be permanent.  My suggestion is to just suck it up until you can afford to move closer

It's not the length of the ride that's the problem, it's the cost of the gas. It's about 100 miles away. (Traffic is much less congested up here than down in Cali.)

Danicka's grandmother just "lost" her house. Legally, it's still in her name (jointly owned by her and her husband), but she's got a restraining order against her husband (for very, very good reason) but the court ordered her to let him in the house since she stays part time with her son. Now all three of us have to leave by tuesday. I don't have anywhere to live anymore.

Side note, this guy is verbally/mentally and physically abusive. Anything I might legally be able to do to make sure his life is a living hell?

On 4/21/2019 at 4:05 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 4/19/2019 at 8:30 AM, Erdrick The Hero said:

Check on shelters or halfway homes or Federal housing in the area.

It appears everything is full. With months-long waiting lists. (Closer to one year than one month.)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

The way I was going, i actually didn't hit traffic.  I was driving 78 miles.  But Yeah I was spending a lot on gas.  Like 600 a month.