Hendrik of Heliodor

New Monsters Game: Wants and Wishes

I'm interested in what you guys want to see, and any ideas that should be in the next Monsters game that was announced last year during the twentieth anniversary of the Monsters series. The game was said to be on a console (Switch would be perfect in my opinion) and it features the characters Erik and Mia from Dragon Quest XI. Also would you prefer it to be in the style of the original gameboy Monsters games or more like the Joker games (it won't be a Joker game though as Joker 3 Pro was the last of that series).

Personally I would like to see it resemble the style used in the first 2 Joker games, as I prefer those two than the third. I want it to have a strong competitive aspect and possible other multiplayer options as these games are really fun to play with your friends or others. I hope that they don't include a riding feature for ALL of the monsters like they did in Joker 3 because that led to a lot of palette swap monsters and fewer actual designs. I think it will use the traditional medieval-like Dragon Quest setting rather than the more modern Joker settings as it features Erik and Mia. Lastly, I want to have some sort of legacy boss fight system similar to that of Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 or Dragon Quest IX.

No recolors (outside of slime species that have diffirent properties otherwise and, well, Darkdrium) and back to system of GBC games - I know it won't happen, but I liked not having set learnsets(

I just remembered that the size system became a thing in Joker 2 where monsters could take up multiple spots in the party. I liked this feature but many did not as I think it was very unbalanced and damaged the competitive aspect of the game. Personally, I'd like to see it return but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. Also in Joker 3/Monsters 2 3DS (I think), you were able to alter the size of your monsters, so that may be the solution that is used in this game.

8 hours ago, Mefista said:

No recolors (outside of slime species that have diffirent properties otherwise and, well, Darkdrium) and back to system of GBC games - I know it won't happen, but I liked not having set learnsets(

Yeah, the recolours in Joker 3 was a real let down. I don't mind the odd recolour here and there like in Joker 1 and 2 but I'd like to see a lot more variety.

The skillsets used in the GBC games are fun to use and I think that not having set learnsets is a good idea and can make the game very interesting (a prompt to breed more monsters as well). However, I'd also like to keep stat boosters (Attack Boost etc.), so maybe they could put stat boosters into a seperate system than the learnsets.

• Like 1

What I want is lots of books and PNJ talking about the game's lore. I want to know more about XI's past. 

As for the gameplay, I'd be fine with any mechanics, from Monsters 1 to Joker 2. I think the size element was a nice logical addition. The 4 sized monsters of Monsters 2 3D were also impressive, so that would be cool to have them, if there are any in XI to begin with. 

What I'm mostly curious about, is how the game will begin. Like, are Erik and Mia going to travel in Erdrea, or are they going to travel to another world/realm, like all the other Monsters game? 

I'm not sure if it's feasible to have every monster that they've included in the Monsters games so far, but if possible combining the monster lists from the DWM2 remake and DQMJ3Pro would be nice, maybe adding some of the all-stars from other Dragon Quest games. I'm fine with the palette swaps as long as they have enough unique monsters too, and there are definitely more palette swaps that they could include. With the capabilities of the Switch, I wonder how many they could add. For skills, DQMJ3Pro has a very good variety of things available, so using that as a baseline and adding more would be nice. Having a good variety of effects and appearances would be nice. That game was perhaps a bit too generous with letting you swap around traits and such, but having some flexibility in customization without turning every monster into "let's put all the broken traits on this one monster and see what happens" could be nice.

Speaking of traits, I kind of like the size system and being able to fiddle around with how big monsters are; keeping this and the color change system from DQMJ3, and maybe riding too, would be nice. 

Something which was present in the original DWM2 that was somewhat deficient in more recent games is having some sort of random dungeon/Magic Key system. Having something to satisfy my inner dungeon-crawler while taking full advantage of however many monsters they add would be awesome, although this naturally shouldn't take away from the actual game play. Also, having some sort of boss gauntlet with all the bosses from the previous games souped-up would be pretty fun, just for nostalgia; what matters most is that there's always a post-game challenge no matter how good your team is.

As for the story, I'm not too much of a lore person, but having some call-backs to older Dragon Quest games would be fun. I would care far more about having a good monster variety (including skills and traits), a good competitive scene, good challenge, and some sort of random dungeon-like thing to ensure replayability (Maybe instead of or in addition to the Endless Battle key or whatever, some sort of endless dungeon with occasional boss battles and such could be fun, with rare monsters and skillsets as rewards.) 

One other small thing: although this is somewhat unlikely, having everything be available without Wi-Fi would be a great added bonus. I don't like how the most recent Joker games forced you to connect to Wi-Fi and deal with that to get additional copies of rare monsters and such. Having the gate or key or whatever like the Game Boy remakes would probably be best. 

Maybe recolors can appear as in-specie variations - say, you bred a real strong balhib, and it got the colors of stronger recolor from main series. Use some kind of item to prevent this, if you want old colors. Or other way around) Would add variety and allow for references.

18 minutes ago, Mefista said:

Maybe recolors can appear as in-specie variations - say, you bred a real strong balhib, and it got the colors of stronger recolor from main series. Use some kind of item to prevent this, if you want old colors. Or other way around) Would add variety and allow for references.

I feel like Joker 3 played with this idea with Fondeww, but they also misstepped elsewhere.

• Like 1

In the style of the Joker games, preferably with a wider variety of monsters, and not just stuff like multiple gem slime recolours (although platinum king jewel's return would be nice), and even some monsters not previously covered in any proper DQM game to date (the manguini family of DQIX and toady of DQIII come to mind).

• Like 1

In the style of the Joker games, preferably with a wider variety of monsters, and not just stuff like multiple gem slime recolours (although platinum king jewel's return would be nice),

Yes it would!

Yeah, Joker 3 burnt me out on recolors. They have SO many monsters to draw upon, hope Erik's game is a new start for the side franchise!

One thing that I would also love to see return in the next monsters game would be legacy boss fights, like those in DQIX. There were some sort of legacy bosses in the first monsters game, I think, and I would like to see a system of legacy boss fights return. Probably as post post-game content or something like that. However I guess it's not very likely that all legacy boss fights will be included as it would be weird to see Erik and Mia fighting the final boss of DQXI before DQXI.. Likely scenario is that we get Estark and some other monsters.

• Like 1

1. Nokturnus, obviously, and make him absolute god tier. If it's impossible have his true form essence abstract thingy from DQX be the ultimate monster

2. I am divided on removing the size system, IDK

3. Clean out the top tier/god tier roster, simplify it. I'd suggest conflating the King of Darkness to one being, the Baboon Beast to one, ignore Zemergias' two ingredients and have him standalone, and keeping Libranex/Leonyx/Master Dragon up there too, also that fairy dragon, metal  goddess, and grand estark would be fine. It got pretty bloated. Just clean up all the gunk.

4. Likewise, keep the legacy bosses from I-XI all still very viable god tier monsters and not merely recipe fodder for the next form. While monsters did this, it wasn't to such an extreme degree that Joker would do so.

5. I preferred the breeding and levelling skills of the old monsters games, where you can combine specific spells to get a better one. I'd like a return to that

6. Bonus raid dungeons or seed dungeons ala DQM2/DQIX so that there's tons of post game

7. I would prefer if the old type system from DQM1/2 came back, less cluttered and motley

I'd like to see monster rideability on a smaller scale. While I had a huge problem with Joker 3 being Recolors: The Game, I also really liked the freedom of movement on the field that mounts provided. maybe having them be something you get after the first half of the game to speed field movement (like how you get 3x battle speed in DQM2), and being limited to a handful of monsters?

Agreed on combining the Joker 2/3 and DQM2 monster sets, that just makes sense.

I like multiple monster sizes, I'd like to see them kept, though I'd be okay with just seeing 2-size monsters, or 2 and 3 size, I don't need the biggest guys coming back except maybe as special bosses.

I really want to see the key/disc system tweaked, I vastly preferred the way DQM2 did it, where each key had its own cooldown timer. I'm not a fan of the mobile wait-to-play style but I figure that's here to stay. I'd love random dungeons like the old DWM magic keys, with random towns full of random people, but I know procedural generation opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

Splitting skills again ala DWM1 and 2 sounds great, honestly, but I'd like to keep the passives too. +attributes and Wards could maybe be passives that don't take up active skill slots, but you could only have so many?

I think other than that my biggest one: keep color mutations! Seriously, I love stuff like this in monster games. Give me a chance to show everyone online how much I love certain monsters or colors or to make goofy theme teams. I also like the idea of monsters getting more options for color as they get stronger, but maybe it's something you'd unlock rather than it happening automatically.