Sign in to follow this  
NecroMalroth

Dragon Quest XI True Ending and Ramifications Thereof (Spoilers!)

Heya folks!  So I finally got myself a PS4 last month, and of course the first (and so far only) game I have for it is DQXI.  I just finished up the post-game by defeating Calasmos, and I have questions concerning the ramifications of the true ending.

Question the First

DQXI's world is Erdrea.  Assuming that I'm understanding the true ending correctly, Erdrea and the initial world of DQIII (the one that looks a lot like Earth) are one and the same, with DQXI being a prequel to DQIII.  So far, so good (minus the radically different geography, but hey, we've been dealing with that since the Zenithian trilogy).  Yggdragon bestows upon the Luminary the title of Erdrick, in what I assume is supposed to be the first such instance.  We've known since DQIII that "Erdrick" was actually a title and that others have held the title before.

Now, the hero of DQIII ("The" Erdrick) is given the title by the King of Alefgard.  But Alefgard isn't on Erdrea.  It's on Torland.  (Yeah, as far as I know "Torland" was only used in the NES English instruction manual for DQII, but I need to call this planet something.)  So I found myself wondering how the King of Alefgard knew of the title.  We know "The" Erdrick wasn't the only person to fall from Erdrea down to Torland.  So did Ortega, Kandar, and the blacksmith from Jipang.  So I have to ask...  Is Torland entirely populated by people who fell from Erdrea (or descendants thereof)?  Otherwise, how would the King of Alefgard know enough about Erdrean culture to have heard of the title?

Question the Second

Yggdragon not-so-subtly hints that she's going to turn evil someday, and we cut to the hero of DQI looking at Charlock from a distance.  Now, I presume that Yggdragon and Dragonlord are not actually one and the same due to the fact that Yggdragon is female and Dragonlord is male.  However...  is Yggdragon the Dragon Queen from DQIII?  I know there's been the theory that Dragonlord hatched from the egg the Dragon Queen left behind when she died.  The Dragon Queen's castle is surrounded by a circular range of mountains which might be interpreted as the crater that Yggdrasil floated over.  And one could pick up an Yggdrasil leaf practically right next door to that same mountain range.

I don't think there have ever been clear answers for those questions in the games given the timelapse between DQXI and DQIII (plus the decades separating the two games distribution). However, if you accept other source material like the novelizations, the mangas, and other media (all supervised by Yuji Hori) then there might be some answers for you. ^^

One key element, I believe, is the Mu continent (https://wikiwiki.jp/dqdic3rd/【ムー】), a continent that existed on Edrea millennia before the events of DQIII. Long story short, the continent was sunken in the ocean's depth (much like the fabled Atlantis continent #AtlantisForever #Namor>T'challa), but some of its people were saved by Rubiss, who created Alefgard to put them on. 

So, yeah, I do believe that everyone on Torland is people from the upperworld, Erdrea. Or at least most of them are, since, in the manga Emblem of Roto, which takes place after DQIII and centuries before the original Dragon Quest, some kind of portals between the two worlds had been created. 

For your second question, I personally don't think Yggdragon is the Dragon Queen. Sure we don't know the lifespan of sacred dragons, and I wouldn't be surprised if they lived centuries if not millennia, but her being already ancient in DQXI would be reaaaaally old in DQIII, and the Dragon Queen "human" depiction is rather young looking, albeit ill enough to die shortly after given birth to he who shall become the Dragon Lord. But that's just a personal opinion and I might be mistaken :)

12 hours ago, NecroMalroth said:

Yggdragon bestows upon the Luminary the title of Erdrick, in what I assume is supposed to be the first such instance.

In-game this is most probably true, but again, if you take the extended DQ lore, the novel/manga Spirit Rubiss Legend (https://wikiwiki.jp/dqdic3rd/【精霊ルビス】#m4e7c4dd) give more depth to the title and its history. Long story short (again) Rubiss was in love with a semi-spirit guy, named Dialto, but whose real name was Roto (as you probably know the Japanese Erdrick). Dialto and Rubiss fled the Spirit world together on the back of a Ramia and end up on the human world. Dialto eventually died since he was only half-spirit, and most probably gave his name to the world. (Erdr-ick; Erdr-ea / Roto; Roto-retiza)

In the novel and the manga, we also learn that Roto/Erdrick means "close to god" as in loved by. A common theory is that most of the heroes from the first trilogy are descendants/reincarnations of Dialto. Therefore, Rubiss dubbing DQIII's mc Erdrick would be rather sad, since she'd see her passed loved one in him but couldn't actually be  with him. 

Or its just a storybook.

That's my take on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redneckpride4ever said:

Or its just a storybook.

That's my take on it.

I assumed DQ11 takes place in the far off past of DQ3’s world. I didn’t think much on it, but after seeing the book at the end that’s where I got my idea from.

It hurts my head all this. But I think the OP has laid out a decent idea. And yeah, all those storybooks on the shelf. Hmmm...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

It hurts my head all this. But I think the OP has laid out a decent idea. And yeah, all those storybooks on the shelf. Hmmm...

This is one of those things I feel is entirely up to interpretation, and I appreciate that. Ambiguity can be a good thing every now and then.

It’s like Marcello’s fate in the PS2 version of DQ8: you don’t know exactly what happens to him after he walks away at the end of the game, and I thought that really worked for his story/character.

Spoiler

I’m not a fan of the continuation they added in the 3DS version for his story, but whatever, that’s just my opinion. If others like it, great.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I assumed DQ11 takes place in the far off past of DQ3’s world. I didn’t think much on it, but after seeing the book at the end that’s where I got my idea from.

That's really heavily implied. The "true ending" of DQ11 obviously shows "look at all these adventures [that you already know] that are going to happen in the world after this!".

But that said, there's hardly any more thought put into it than that. It's a fanservice ending first and foremost, and I doubt any attempt was made to create serious connections between the series. The game also already treats the past of Erdwyn and his team as a callback to DQ3, but of course that's more of a "history repeats itself" fairytale take.

All that said, I liked reading your speculations. It actually makes sense, and I don't see any reason the Dragon Queen couldn't be retconned into being the Yggdragon if Square Enix feel like doing that - it wouldn't conflict with what's already out there.
Dragon Quest is all about revisiting familiar ideas and concepts, and I don't think it would be entirely foreign to try to tie future games into existing cannons, most notably the Erdrick/Loto one. The Builders games are already doing that (in a kind of one-sided way).