Sign in to follow this  
Cranberry

Chinese Version of Dragon Quest X shutting down May 30th 2019

In Late 2016, Dragon Quest X launched in China.  It has now been announced that service will close for that version of the game on May 30th.

http://dq.sdo.com/web1/index.html

Thanks to Mimas for tipping me off to the closure.

Version 3.5, the finale for V3, was released on February 28th.  If anyone happens to be playing the Chinese version of the game and wants to finish out the story, do so while you can!

The Japanese version of Dragon Quest X is continuing on.

This doesn't bode well in my eyes... I was hoping a success in China would convince SE that a broader worldwide release would be worth it.

• Like 2

This doesn't bode well in my eyes... I was hoping a success in China would convince SE that a broader worldwide release would be worth it.
"If it does well in China, then..."

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

"If it does well in China, then..."

“...nothing will be fine-a.”

• Like 1

Earlier today, the Chinese version of DQX officially closed.

The Chinese site has a farewell message from one of the staff where they talk about attending an event and making memories with the fans.

Was it not doing well, or was it cost prohibitive to translate and support servers, or both?

Square Enix has made the vague statement of "For a number of reasons" (per Google translate) and did not go into specifics.  

We know precious little about what went on there due to the only known Chinese version Den player, Tommy, being inactive since shortly after the servers went live, and there being next to no news coverage of them.  

From what little I have been able to gather from searching around and reading some Google Translated Chinese comments, the servers were largely deserted.  Given how quickly the game was shut down, I'm inclined to believe that was the case.

Looks pretty deserted to me....... pic of bazar in Early April

spacer.png

One might say bizarrely empty.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

One might say bizarrely empty.

It definitely is. China having a long standing control over video games in their country (before they finally lifted it) could be why the game wasn’t the success SE was hoping for.

Shame it’s getting shut down. This is why the game needs an offline version of some kind so people can experience the game for years without fear of services being shut down or always needing to be connected to wifi and other stuff like that.

Maybe one day it will happen for Japan and we’ll see a full fan translation.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 7:22 AM, Cranberry said:

Square Enix has made the vague statement of "For a number of reasons" (per Google translate) and did not go into specifics.  

We know precious little about what went on there due to the only known Chinese version Den player, Tommy, being inactive since shortly after the servers went live, and there being next to no news coverage of them.  

From what little I have been able to gather from searching around and reading some Google Translated Chinese comments, the servers were largely deserted.  Given how quickly the game was shut down, I'm inclined to believe that was the case.

Hi, Cranberry. For the last few months,  I was a little busy for my graduation and jobs.

The shutup of Chinese server made me very disappointed, because this is the only mmorpg I played for years. According to what I know, SDO closed the server, because SDO was acquired last year. The new boss doesn't like DQX, as it didn't make profit as much as FF14.  

Many of my friends in Chinese server have gone to the Japanese one. They also invited me to be there and I just created my  character last month. Btw, what's your ID in the game? or you are welcome adding me to your friend list.

My ID is トミー    TS498-134

That really stinks, as previously stated I was hoping that the Chinese version would encourage SE to create a US/Europe translation into English. My hopes still aren't dead but with the IP block being dropped here in the US I decided to just take the plunge and try the game out. I've gotten through the Offline mode twice (I started as a guest I think so I had to play it again when I actually logged into my account). Now I have a Level 1 dwarf and I'm eager to see the world later tonight after work.

Depending on how well I can adapt to the game I may buy a full version. I can say that as a fan SE is making a mistake not bringing DQX to the west. So many MMORPG players these days complain that there are no "fresh" experiences out there. To me DQX is probably the most unique MMORPG I've experienced since Everquest 1 lol (mainly because so many MMORPGs copy it's formula). If advertised right I'm sure the game could find a solid footing here in the US and in Europe.

That being said I'd just be happy to play an offline version of the game, preferably with some form of online "borrow your friends" kind of party system.