Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest Your Story Trailer

20 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I mean other people can emulate Toriyamas art style. Look at Toyataro.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I don’t want imitators, I want something fresh. He draws Super because he won’t color outside the lines. Dragon Quest’s art style needs what Vigilantes with My Hero Academia.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eal said:

I don’t want imitators, I want something fresh. He draws Super because he won’t color outside the lines. Dragon Quest’s art style needs what Vigilantes with My Hero Academia.

Then it wouldn't be dragon quest, and it would almost certainly die in Japan.  Leaving only the West as the core audience base.

It doesn't have to be identical, but it has to have the feel and style of Toriyama.  However, I would argue against your position given the variety of changes in Dragon Quest monster designs since 7, and especially with 9, 10, and 11 (which mostly borrows from 10 for new designs).

I would say they're rather fresh. Whether that's Toriyama, or someone else in his studio making those more artful and complex monster design choices, they still feel like Toriyama.

The range of faces and body styles in 11 is by far the widest variety in the DQ series (outside of humanoids in DB and Dr. Slump).  So it isn't like you can't take the style and expand the variety and range of expression.

Edited by ignasia

7 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Then it wouldn't be dragon quest, and it would almost certainly die in Japan.  Leaving only the West as the core audience base.

It doesn't have to be identical, but it has to have the feel and style of Toriyama.  However, I would argue against your position given the variety of changes in Dragon Quest monster designs since 7, and especially with 9, 10, and 11 (which mostly borrows from 10 for new designs).

I would say they're rather fresh. Whether that's Toriyama, or someone else in his studio making those more artful and complex monster design choices, they still feel like Toriyama.

The range of faces and body styles in 11 is by far the widest variety in the DQ series (outside of humanoids in DB and Dr. Slump).  So it isn't like you can't take the style and expand the variety and range of expression.

It took until 8 for his artsyle to be fully realized in the game itself, not just the box art and manuals. Dragon Quest will be fine if they get a new artist.

• Upvote 1

I understand wanting to change it up so it's not just a retelling of a game the majority of the fanbase has played. If they don't have the twins in this one they'll probably be in a sequel.
My biggest question about the whole production is whether or not there will be an English release and will we get a subbed Blu-Ray version as well as dubbed? Even though my preference is in Japanese, I'd prefer both options. Japanese for authenticity, English dub to see the difference in tone. When it's released here, and it totally will be--look at the fact that it was just trending in NY, and SquareEnix knows (based on DQXI) that it can sell so many more games by exposing more audience to a major part of the series--it will be a huge event for the franchise in the west.

I've only played and heard DQ in English, so that's authentic enough for me. I mean the hero is me, and I speak English, so Japanese doesn't in any way shape or form put me in an RPG mode.

I'm a fan. It looks different but nice, and DQV is a great choice to base a movie on.

What's funny is I didn't even notice the art style as being different. Maybe it's just me enjoying so many different mediums of stuff, I really never associate a single style to a single thing.
Any chance this gets released in western theaters?
For serious...? Nah, you can't be. df2003e9f4f8cfdf54267fb11ba8ccca.jpg

I don’t want imitators, I want something fresh.

100% agree. Everyone says they love DQ because it never changes. To that I call one huge pile of . Never changes? Damned if I haven't loved all the Monsters spin-offs which were kinda different. Damned if I didn't love Slime Mori Mori and Rocket Slime, vastly different games. Damn if I haven't sunk 100 hours into each of the Heroes games, the first with old heroes, and the second completely with new characters. I was DYING to play something different and they scratched that itch. Dragon Quest XI was awesome of its throwbacks and its differentness. Yep, give me a new art style too, I'm a fan.

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

100% agree. Everyone says they love DQ because it never changes. To that I call one huge pile of emoji90.png. Never changes? Damned if I haven't loved all the Monsters spin-offs which were kinda different. Damned if I didn't love Slime Mori Mori and Rocket Slime, vastly different games. Damn if I haven't sunk 100 hours into each of the Heroes games, the first with old heroes, and the second completely with new characters. I was DYING to play something different and they scratched that itch. Dragon Quest XI was awesome of its throwbacks and its differentness. Yep, give me a new art style too, I'm a fan.

It’s hurting the franchise. I’m gonna go that far with my views. Toriyama’s clearly lost his spark after 20 years. His designs are either similar to old ones or have some basis in his Dragon Ball Z work. Sugiyama’s too old to do the music anymore. New blood.

People have been #$*!ing about the weak Pokémon designs since Gen III and how long it takes for that franchise to adapt to the next gen, and yet any innovation is welcomed. Remember when people were supposed to have Let’s Go because of how different it was and how many features were stripped out? And then it came out and people loved it.

• Like 1

It’s hurting the franchise. I’m gonna go that far with my views. Toriyama’s clearly lost his spark after 20 years. His designs are either similar to old ones or have some basis in his Dragon Ball Z work. Sugiyama’s too old to do the music anymore. New blood.
People have been #$*!ing about the weak Pokémon designs since Gen III and how long it takes for that franchise to adapt to the next gen, and yet any innovation is welcomed. Remember when people were supposed to have Let’s Go because of how different it was and how many features were stripped out? And then it came out and people loved it.
Of course he's phoning it in. He's flat out said he wouldn't have done it in the first place had he known it was going on 30+ years. You know what I do when I don't want to do something?

Phone it in.

14 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I've only played and heard DQ in English, so that's authentic enough for me. I mean the hero is me, and I speak English, so Japanese doesn't in any way shape or form put me in an RPG mode.

I'm looking at this more as an anime and less as a game. Most anime I watch is in Japanese with subtitles. I almost never watch it dubbed unless it's the only option. It's just a personal preference, and not meant to be pretentious or anything. I know English voice acting has gotten a lot better since the 90s, but it still feels more culturally authentic to watch it in Japanese. Since my wife and I are raising our son bilingually in America we almost always go for the Japanese voice acting option for more exposure to the language.

I'm looking at this more as an anime and less as a game. Most anime I watch is in Japanese with subtitles. I almost never watch it dubbed unless it's the only option. It's just a personal preference, and not meant to be pretentious or anything. I know English voice acting has gotten a lot better since the 90s, but it still feels more culturally authentic to watch it in Japanese. Since my wife and I are raising our son bilingually in America we almost always go for the Japanese voice acting option for more exposure to the language.
Of course, you've got a completely different perspective with anime your son. Totally get it. I have watched 1 total movie in Japanese with subtitles in my lifetime. Haha. I'm most definitely an English Homer.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, but I would definitely feel the same about anime, even without a son who is half Japanese. 😀

With exception to Macross Plus and Howl's Moving Castle (which starred Brian Cranston and Billy Crystal, respectively) I've preferred subs to dubs since the early 90s.

For a Blu Ray release I'd just like to have the option for both.

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 2

More characters revealed via ANN

spacer.png

The newly announced roles include: (Top row, left to right in image above):

Kendo Kobayashi as Sancho

Ken Yasuda as Pusan (Dr. Agon in the English version of Dragon Quest V)

Suzuki Matsuo as Ludman (Rodrigo Briscoletti in the English version)

(Botoom row, left to right):

Chikako Kaku as Martha (Madalena in the English version)

Kōichi Yamadera as Surarin (Rocket in the English version)

Has Pusan/Dr. Agon had an official design before? He just had a generic NPC sprite as I recall.

Posted (edited)

A new trailer for Dragon Quest: Your Story is released today!

https://twitter.com/DQ_MOVIE/status/1141073096809615360

2694.png最新予告 公開2694.png

#映画ドラクエ 最新予告映像が遂に解禁1f4a5.png

父・パパスの意思を継ぎ、魔界の門を封じるために“天空のつるぎ”と“勇者”を探す旅に出た主人公リュカ。ビアンカ、フローラとの出会いや宿敵ゲマとの激闘シーンなど…これまで謎に包まれていたストーリーの片鱗が明らかに 2728.png

#DQ

#ドラクエ

Edited by Dakhil

Posted (edited)

Ok, that’s the first trailer I’ve watched for DQ Your Story...I’m totally sold. I love animated movies (and animated stuff in general, there’s SOOOOO many good shows nowadays) so seeing some of the DQ movie in action is pretty sweet. There’s a lot of cool details on character models like the Killing Machines and Golems, and the design of Ladja’s outfit is crazy. And those eyes, good lord! If I wasn’t a fan of DQ, I could definitely tell Ladja is either insane or brainwashed. I’m liking the way the characters move, and while I think the human characters could look a little closer to Toriyama’s artstyle, I’m not against how they look in the trailer.

As a DQ, it’s pretty sweet to see moments from DQ5 in a new way. The hero giving Saber a big hug and reuniting with him, the hero and Pankraz having some one on one moments, the choice of Bianca or Nera...looks like it will be a good take on DQ5.

Also, I’m digging the Slime who seems to tag along with the hero. Yeah it’s the mascot, but it’s cool to see anyway. Reminds me of how I always try and keep a Slime in the wagon and see how powerful it can become when I replay DQ5.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I really hope we get even a fan sub or something. English dub would be preferred for me but I highly doubt that would happen. This movie looks dark...like I know the game story is, but these scenes are hitting me way harder seeing them this way than a 16 bit sprite. I think that's why the game didn't really wow me or hit me hard when I played it, the scenes didn't have any impact, sure they were heavy but...eh.

When you finish watching the video, one of the suggestions is a Looper video and the thumbnail is from a movie about two kids that die in a concentration camp. Very uplifting.

Anyway, I was sifting through Ichimura's Twitter the other day and found this pic. Really like how Sancho and Ludman look.

spacer.png

The look of this movie is really surprising. Japanese tend to stay restrictively on model. For example - when a wide-eyed character closes its eyes they make the pupils ^ ^ instead of the whole eyes. Drives me nerts. This movie remains faithful to the source while doing its own thing. Everyone is very detailed and expressive. I love how crazed, squishy, and spindly Gema is. I wonder how they're going to fit the entire story in. Since Abel is wielding the Heavenly Sword, maybe the kids were cut or will show up at the very end. Maybe Gema will be the main antagonist and not Ibuul or Mildrath. Maybe defeating Buon will be what grants the marriage. It'll be fun to see how much they can fit in 90 minutes or so.

Wow this looks amazing! I never really wanted a Dragon Quest movie but now this trailer has made me change my mind.

57 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Maybe Gema will be the main antagonist and not Ibuul or Mildrath.

I would like to see Nimzo present in the movie and if he is I hope they will do something interesting with him rather than have him appear near the end with only a bit of referencing here and there. Also, I love his second form and seeing it animated in this style could be really well done.

Spoiler

It would also be cool if we get to see him as a human as was confirmed in the DS and PS2 version of DQV (I think).

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Hendrik of Heliodor said:

Wow this looks amazing! I never really wanted a Dragon Quest movie but now this trailer has made me change my mind.

I would like to see Nimzo present in the movie and if he is I hope they will do something interesting with him rather than have him appear near the end with only a bit of referencing here and there. Also, I love his second form and seeing it animated in this style could be really well done.

Reveal hidden contents

It would also be cool if we get to see him as a human as was confirmed in the DS and PS2 version of DQV (I think).

That's the worst part about V for me. They should have kept Ladja as the big bad but instead, it's some guy you barely hear about and, in my case being leveled and equipped well, got beaten without any effort at all.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

38 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

That's the worst part about V for me. They should have kept Ladja as the big bad but instead, it's some guy you barely hear about and, in my case being leveled and equipped well, got beaten without any effort at all.

That’s one thing about DQ5 and 6 that bugs me: their real big bads have little presence and rely on their subordinates to do the dirty work. At least the good thing with 5 and 6 is that there are quite a few references to them in the game via NPCs or books.

However, while Nimzo lacks presence in the story until the tail end, he has one of the best final boss themes in the series. I also like his text/speech style in the DS version. You can tell he’s this otherworldly, ancient presence, and while it’s a little weird to read at first it totally works for him.

2 hours ago, Dwaine said:

Really like how Sancho and Ludman look.

Our boy Sancho got the treatment he deserved!

Seriously though, I’m a big fan of his design for the movie too. He looks great.

It’s not uncommon for the final boss of an RPG to be some giant creature or monstrosity borne from the efforts of the subordinates. The idea is to face an enemy that goes beyond anything you’ve faced yet. Sometimes they can manage to make it a character you’re familiar with, like Dr. Snapped in DQM:J, but I’m just as fine with it if they don’t. So long as this enemy is foreshadowed earlier I’m okay with it.

• Like 1

That’s one thing about DQ5 and 6 that bugs me: their real big bads have little presence and rely on their subordinates to do the dirty work. At least the good thing with 5 and 6 is that there are quite a few references to them in the game via NPCs or books.

I would disagree on Deathtamoor not having big of a role; while he does appear late he is one of the more hands on villains with him striking down the sorceress of Calberona and causing mass chaos in his realm to the town of sorrow and greed. He is one of the more interesting villains unlike Malroth for example because he is more of a cosmic horror who literally feeds on negativity and needs it to live, he doesn't simply want to shroud or destroy the world. He's no Orgodemir or Psaro in level of influence, but he's still got a presence.

For the movie, here's my thoughts

1. Bianca looks hot

2. I hope Abel marries Bianca, she's hot and I will not see the movie if he marries Flora or Deborah

3. I hope Abel doesn't dump his father's sword and when he gets the Dragon Staff uses it in conjunction ala Gandalf or something

4. Buorn looks smaller than I would think, might just be used to however

5. Gema's design looks great, kinda of wish they got Ryusei Nakao however as I'd imagine him as the perfect voice of Gema. I hope he is still at Evil Mountain for the finale.

6. Honestly the movie would work best as a 3-part trilogy, one with him as a kid, the next with him as a teen, the last with him as an adult. Would fit the pacing far better

7. They are intentionally obscuring Abel's son, hiding who his mother is I think

8. I hope they make the scale of the game feel large, like Mildrath is the existential cosmic threat he is described in lore

9. For the artstyle, I didn't even know Akira Toriyama did Dragon Quest until I was like 10 and that was 4 years after being a massive Dragon Quest fan and only having been into Dragon Ball for about a year. Most of my memories and nostalgia for the series come from Sugiyama's magical score and the sprite, map, and setpeice designers. The magic comes from the nostalgic dreamlike moments in the games, deep emotional impact, and hauntingly beautiful music and itself and his art is just the cherry om top of it.

Dragon Quest V used to be like my 3rd favorite DQ game (To III and VI), played it the first time when I was 8 and it was maybe slightly more impactful than other DQ games, but replaying it on DS when I was 14 was one of the greatest gameplay experiences of my life. It is now probably my favorite game of all time (Stiff competition with Portal 2). I sometimes wish I could have a button which resets all my memories of a game just so I can replay and relive the game again because it's just so amazing. When I realized this movie was being made I was so excited. I hope it does well.

Posted (edited)

The trailer looks great. I was thinking they would cut the kids and have Abel be the Zenithian Hero, but looking at the color of the clothes it can't be him:

image.png.d9544a6184909a91a01827635a75e6d4.png
It's also looks like a rather "small" person.

Edited by Billy MK

47 minutes ago, Billy MK said:

The trailer looks great. I was thinking they would cut the kids and have Abel be the Zenithian Hero, but looking at the color of the clothes it can't be him:

image.png.d9544a6184909a91a01827635a75e6d4.png
It's also looks like a rather "small" person.

That's a pretty drastic change. When I saw the trailer I thought this person way the Boy.

I hope Luca marries Bianca too. Out of the two choices he has in the original (on which the movie is based apparently) Nera was just too bland and uninteresting imo. 

I kinda hoped that the movie would be cut in two, the first ending with Luca being turned into stone, and the second starting with his two kids traveling around the world with Sancho (kinda like in the DQV manga) with a final against Mildrath. But if the Zenithian Hero is already here... Welp. 

I really like the AD that the movie took. Luca looks just so sweet in the movie! 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Xiggy said:

I hope Luca marries Bianca too. Out of the two choices he has in the original (on which the movie is based apparently) Nera was just too bland and uninteresting imo. 

I kinda hoped that the movie would be cut in two, the first ending with Luca being turned into stone, and the second starting with his two kids traveling around the world with Sancho (kinda like in the DQV manga) with a final against Mildrath. But if the Zenithian Hero is already here... Welp. 

I really like the AD that the movie took. Luca looks just so sweet in the movie! 

I think the movie would work best split in three, given it takes place across 3 arcs and that can help flesh out the childhood arc, but I agree that it should be split up in some form to help keep the characters fleshed out

Since this is based on the original, does that mean Gema/Ladja will be killed in the Dragon Tower? Or do you think they will still bring him up to Evil Mountain/Mount Zugzwang given I hear he is pretty popular.

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee