Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest Your Story Trailer

Recommended Posts

 

I think Dragon Quest Your Story has promise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wait, did I miss something here?

Dragon Quest 1, 2, 3, and even 4 get skipped over for a DQ11 makeover, and Dragon Quest 5 gets picked, and instead of calling it the obvious, Dragon Quest V again, they're calling it Dragon Quest: Your Story?

Odd choice.  Looks fantastic for the next DQVr though.

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The CG has a very “Western” aesthetic, and combining that with its medieval fantasy setting, the Japanese voice acting is really throwing me off. It could really due to have an English dub.

Only fear is that, it kind of gives me “Straight-to-DVD movie you’d see being advertised on the security bars at a Walmart entrance” vibes. I can see it now: featuring an c-list male actor whose voice doesn’t fit, a slightly more prominent female singer that does some light acting, and a washed up older male actor. It’ll have a childish poster of the main character standing heroically and the rest of the cast to his left and right behind him with a bubble lettered font used for the title and a goofy tag line (“Saving the World is a Family Affair”). Okay, it didn’t look that bad but I can easily see it getting purchased for a US release by a company that doesn’t really do anime and wanting to adjust the marketing to give it that kind of release.

Edited by eal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wait, did I miss something here?
Dragon Quest 1, 2, 3, and even 4 get skipped over for a DQ11 makeover, and Dragon Quest 5 gets picked, and instead of calling it the obvious, Dragon Quest V again, they're calling it Dragon Quest: Your Story?
Odd choice.  Looks fantastic for the next DQVr though.
Its a movie, not a game.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s weird how many series I like have released some sort of entry on my birthday (August 2nd). The day and year I was born, Super Mario All Stars released in the US. Last year on my birthday, Etrian Odyssey Nexus released in Japan. And now the Dragon Quest movie will be released in theaters on my birthday in Japan.

 

Now all I need is something Dark Souls and Monster Hunter related released on my birthday at some point and I’ll be set! Haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It’s weird how many series I like have released some sort of entry on my birthday (August 2nd). The day and year I was born, Super Mario All Stars released in the US. Last year on my birthday, Etrian Odyssey Nexus released in Japan. And now the Dragon Quest movie will be released in theaters on my birthday in Japan.
 
Now all I need is something Dark Souls and Monster Hunter related released on my birthday at some point and I’ll be set! Haha
Sounds like you should've been saving all year to go to Japan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Sounds like you should've been saving all year to go to Japan!

Haha, I think if I went to Japan any money I had would get used on other Dragon Quest merchandise first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eal said:

The CG has a very “Western” aesthetic, and combining that with its medieval fantasy setting, the Japanese voice acting is really throwing me off. It could really due to have an English dub.

Only fear is that, it kind of gives me “Straight-to-DVD movie you’d see being advertised on the security bars at a Walmart entrance” vibes. I can see it now: featuring an c-list male actor whose voice doesn’t fit, a slightly more prominent female singer that does some light acting, and a washed up older male actor. It’ll have a childish poster of the main character standing heroically and the rest of the cast to his left and right behind him with a bubble lettered font used for the title and a goofy tag line (“Saving the World is a Family Affair”). Okay, it didn’t look that bad but I can easily see it getting purchased for a US release by a company that doesn’t really do anime and wanting to adjust the marketing to give it that kind of release.

I sure can see that tag line XD. But I don’t know if they thought moving away from Toriyama’s style was simply an aesthetic choice, or if maybe they want to try to appeal to the West’s tastes or if maybe they just don’t want people in the West to lump this in with DB and have them think it’s some sort of spinoff (which I don’t think would be a bad thing considering how popular DBZ is).

 

I think Gkids would be a good bet (they get solid talent and don’t necessarily go for the big or “washed up” stars either), mayyybe Netflix, but I hear they tend to cheap out on voice work when they acquire rights to something (as opposed to producing it themselves)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not used to seeing anything Dragon Quest in a non-Akira Toriyama art style. With that being said, it's not a bad looking film and it shows promise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Its a movie, not a game.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
 

 

Oh, thanks.  Though seeing it, it really should become the look and feel of the next iteration of DQV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Choppasmith said:

I sure can see that tag line XD. But I don’t know if they thought moving away from Toriyama’s style was simply an aesthetic choice, or if maybe they want to try to appeal to the West’s tastes or if maybe they just don’t want people in the West to lump this in with DB and have them think it’s some sort of spinoff (which I don’t think would be a bad thing considering how popular DBZ is).

 

I think Gkids would be a good bet (they get solid talent and don’t necessarily go for the big or “washed up” stars either), mayyybe Netflix, but I hear they tend to cheap out on voice work when they acquire rights to something (as opposed to producing it themselves)

Netflix almost exclusively hires Bang Zoom! for their exclusive anime. That’s why you hear Erika Harlacher, Bryce Papenbrook, and Cristina Vee in every anime Netflix is involved in.

But yes, I would put money on GKids. I also think maybe Shout! Factory or Eleven Arts might release it too. All three of them have been spamming out a bunch of anime movies lately. Between all three of them, we’ve got Perfect Blue, A Silent Voice, Maquia, Liz and the Blue Bird, Mirai, Lu Over the Wall, and Night is Short, Walk on Girl on Blu Ray and DVD just this year alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm a fan. It looks different but nice, and DQV is a great choice to base a movie on.

Edited by TriforceBun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks damn good.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks awesome. I'm really surprised they're going for a different art style, and I think it's a good idea. Also, by the looks of it, it seems it's not a straight DQV adaptation, they seem to be changing thinks so Gema is the bad guy, and maybe there won't be the hero's children. It's understandable, since how could they adapt it all in a single movie? This could explain why it's not called Dragon Quest V.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I understand wanting to change it up so it's not just a retelling of a game the majority of the fanbase has played. If they don't have the twins in this one they'll probably be in a sequel.

My biggest question about the whole production is whether or not there will be an English release and will we get a subbed Blu-Ray version as well as dubbed? Even though my preference is in Japanese, I'd prefer both options. Japanese for authenticity, English dub to see the difference in tone. When it's released here, and it totally will be--look at the fact that it was just trending in NY, and SquareEnix knows (based on DQXI) that it can sell so many more games by exposing more audience to a major part of the series--it will be a huge event for the franchise in the west.

Edited by Liamland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, the amount of times today I've seen people say "DQ without Toriyama isn't DQ" is astounding.  The movie still has traces of his art throughout and DQ is much more than Toriyama these guys aren't realizing.  The first seven games were mostly pixelated.  He only did concept art that the monsters and world would end up being based off of.  Look at the Sabrecat, the Killing Machines and the Slime in the trailer and tell me they don't look exactly like the ones Toriyama drew.  I'm really glad the characters don't have manga faces, but its still retaining Toriyama's art.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sackchief said:

Man, the amount of times today I've seen people say "DQ without Toriyama isn't DQ" is astounding.  The movie still has traces of his art throughout and DQ is much more than Toriyama these guys aren't realizing.  The first seven games were mostly pixelated.  He only did concept art that the monsters and world would end up being based off of.  Look at the Sabrecat, the Killing Machines and the Slime in the trailer and tell me they don't look exactly like the ones Toriyama drew.  I'm really glad the characters don't have manga faces, but its still retaining Toriyama's art.

My problem with the artsyle is that they tried to have it both ways by maintaining faint traces of his artsyle while also trying to give it a new asthetic and it just didn’t mesh well. It’s like How to Train Your Dragons x Dragon Ball Z. Go all in on one or the other, that’s the magic of CG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Man, the amount of times today I've seen people say "DQ without Toriyama isn't DQ" is astounding.  The movie still has traces of his art throughout and DQ is much more than Toriyama these guys aren't realizing.  The first seven games were mostly pixelated.  He only did concept art that the monsters and world would end up being based off of.  Look at the Sabrecat, the Killing Machines and the Slime in the trailer and tell me they don't look exactly like the ones Toriyama drew.  I'm really glad the characters don't have manga faces, but its still retaining Toriyama's art.
I mean come on...that Toriyama art style is iconic and its one of the primary things that DQ is known for. If a game abandoned the Toriyama art style it would cease to be DQ for a LOT of people.

That said, this is a spin off movie so they can get away with it. Like I said in my reply to your tweet, I think it would have been way more impactful had they taken the Toriyama art style and gave it the fine level of detail you would expect from a modern CG film. It would have to be better looking than even DQ11 to avoid looking just like a video game cutscene.

I'm not outraged or even upset about this art style though. Though I would definitely be a bit happier if they had gone a more traditional Toriyama-route. But that's just because the DQV hero is, to me, a more iconic representation of the series than even Erdrick. However, I understand that the majority of DQ fans and even the gaming community would disagree with me there.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I mean come on...that Toriyama art style is iconic and its one of the primary things that DQ is known for. If a game abandoned the Toriyama art style it would cease to be DQ for a LOT of people.

That said, this is a spin off movie so they can get away with it. Like I said in my reply to your tweet, I think it would have been way more impactful had they taken the Toriyama art style and gave it the fine level of detail you would expect from a modern CG film. It would have to be better looking than even DQ11 to avoid looking just like a video game cutscene.

I'm not outraged or even upset about this art style though. Though I would definitely be a bit happier if they had gone a more traditional Toriyama-route. But that's just because the DQV hero is, to me, a more iconic representation of the series than even Erdrick. However, I understand that the majority of DQ fans and even the gaming community would disagree with me there.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
 

Yet Dragon Quest V is Horii's favourite storyline, and this is the story they decided to go with for a movie.  It's also the most impactful as it's the most human story, the most cutting, and the only one prior to 11, where everything is tied to the main character, only in a far more direct manner, rather than an esoteric or ethereal matter of some larger game that the Hero is but a key player born for the role.  It's not my favourite storyline in the series, and for sure, Erdrick is, in terms of game, the mascot hero for the series, so much so elements have been utilized since that call back to Erdrick in some way, but that story would make a fine anime if you really expand on it (which we all know exists), but a movie?  It's too long an adventure in many ways.  Were the story fleshed out in the same way as 5's, it would be a substantially longer game.

5's is short, sweet, to the point, requires little embellishing, and any fleshing out would just add to what's already present, rather than actually fill in new material based on side events and extra towns visited.  It's perfect for a movie, and the right kind of story to really hit home with most audiences worldwide.  Betrayal, sacrifice, human tragedy, slavery, redemption, and all tied to family.  It's like the Swiss family Robinson, and Lost in Space, only with real deaths and real suffering.

3 hours ago, Liamland said:

I understand wanting to change it up so it's not just a retelling of a game the majority of the fanbase has played. If they don't have the twins in this one they'll probably be in a sequel.

My biggest question about the whole production is whether or not there will be an English release and will we get a subbed Blu-Ray version as well as dubbed? Even though my preference is in Japanese, I'd prefer both options. Japanese for authenticity, English dub to see the difference in tone. When it's released here, and it totally will be--look at the fact that it was just trending in NY, and SquareEnix knows (based on DQXI) that it can sell so many more games by exposing more audience to a major part of the series--it will be a huge event for the franchise in the west.

 

Yep, and it's the right type of story to really hit home with most Western audiences, whether in the US, Mexico, or the EU.  I'd say Canada, except that they're a collection of clones and french canadians, with the exception of King Zenith of course.

Just teasing, but you have to admit, when even Canadians themselves make fun of everyone having the same accent, verbal greetings, and general colloquialisms unique to two groups, Quebec, and the rest of Canada, it's kind of true...

Edited by ignasia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erdrick is the most iconic hero of the series, but I bet of lot of western players would say 8’s hero is the iconic one since that’s the one a good chunk of western DQ fans have played (or one of the ONLY ones they’ve played besides XI).

Personally my favorite hero has always been IV’s, particularly the male design (though I have to give props to the female hero for that green afro hair). It helps that IV’s hero/heroine has one of the best spell/ability lists in the series as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the people complaining the movie does not look like Toriyama’s style the boxart for the original Japanese Super Famicom release did not look like Toriyama’s style nor did the illustrations in the main Japanese Super Famicom guidebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
For all the people complaining the movie does not look like Toriyama’s style the boxart for the original Japanese Super Famicom release did not look like Toriyama’s style nor did the illustrations in the main Japanese Super Famicom guidebook.
Huh? It definitely does look like Toriyama art from that time period. I have the box sitting on my shelf.

His art style has evolved over the years. Compare OG Dragonball to late Dragonball Z and you'll see this.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be a bit of a hot take but I personally feel that, if one element is removed from something and it damages it in some way, then it’s a franchise made out of straw.

All three men are going to die one day, and there’s nothing that can be done about it and Dragon Quest will have to be able to carry on without them, and I personally think it can. In fact, I think it would be to the series benefit if both Toriyama and Sugiyama handed over their reigns to fresh talent. Their recent work has been lackluster, whereas a newer artist could inject some life into the designs and music.

Just because their old work is beloved and associated with the franchise doesn’t mean future games deserves to be saddled with bland designs and audio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eal said:

This might be a bit of a hot take but I personally feel that, if one element is removed from something and it damages it in some way, then it’s a franchise made out of straw.

All three men are going to die one day, and there’s nothing that can be done about it and Dragon Quest will have to be able to carry on without them, and I personally think it can. In fact, I think it would be to the series benefit if both Toriyama and Sugiyama handed over their reigns to fresh talent. Their recent work has been lackluster, whereas a newer artist could inject some life into the designs and music.

Just because their old work is beloved and associated with the franchise doesn’t mean future games deserves to be saddled with bland designs and audio.

They need to start "experimenting"  in this direction. I don't believe that's the reason they changed the art style for this movie but it's a good start. Next should be a spin off game, though, Itakaki Street and Slime Mori Mori already did that, they should do an RPG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This might be a bit of a hot take but I personally feel that, if one element is removed from something and it damages it in some way, then it’s a franchise made out of straw.
All three men are going to die one day, and there’s nothing that can be done about it and Dragon Quest will have to be able to carry on without them, and I personally think it can. In fact, I think it would be to the series benefit if both Toriyama and Sugiyama handed over their reigns to fresh talent. Their recent work has been lackluster, whereas a newer artist could inject some life into the designs and music.
Just because their old work is beloved and associated with the franchise doesn’t mean future games deserves to be saddled with bland designs and audio.
I mean other people can emulate Toriyamas art style. Look at Toyataro.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...