AustNerevar

DQM+ Manga discussion

Vol 2 of the DQM manga arrived from Amazon yesterday. I'm not quite halfway through but its pretty great. I don't want to spoil anything, but its still worth reading if you're not a big fan of the Monsters series.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I’m waiting till it’s done publishing. Until then, I’m buying them as they come out. It’s short so I’d rather read it in a couple sittings instead of piecemeal over the course of a year and some change.

I totally forgot Vol. 2 was out this month. I bought Vol. 1 a while ago and was going to start it once I was finished with Watchmen, but never did. I do want to finish up the side material stuff in my Watchmen book first (the “book,” on Dr. Manhattan, the case study of Rorschach, etc.) but will get to DQM+ soon enough.

One thing I appreciate about Vol. 1 when I flipped through the book was that they used the original GBC names for certain locations and monsters. Specifically they left Watabou, Warubou, GreatTree, and GreatLog the same. With those games being my first DQ outings way back when, I was happy to see those.

I’m waiting till it’s done publishing. Until then, I’m buying them as they come out. It’s short so I’d rather read it in a couple sittings instead of piecemeal over the course of a year and some change.

Yeah it sucks waiting in between releases, but I'd rather not wait for the whole thing.

I totally forgot Vol. 2 was out this month. I bought Vol. 1 a while ago and was going to start it once I was finished with Watchmen, but never did. I do want to finish up the side material stuff in my Watchmen book first (the “book,” on Dr. Manhattan, the case study of Rorschach, etc.) but will get to DQM+ soon enough.

One thing I appreciate about Vol. 1 when I flipped through the book was that they used the original GBC names for certain locations and monsters. Specifically they left Watabou, Warubou, GreatTree, and GreatLog the same. With those games being my first DQ outings way back when, I was happy to see those.

Well they didn't have anything else to draw from since there's no modern localization of those games. They did keep the spell and monster naming conventions from the post DQ8 brand though.

24 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Well they didn't have anything else to draw from since there's no modern localization of those games.

I know. I’m still glad they used the old localization names.

And technically they do have a newer localization name for Watabou. In Joker 2’s English release his new name was Fluffy.

I need a slight hand understanding the climax of volume 2. Spoiler warning, just to be safe.

Spoiler

Is the teleportal version of Alefgard the original, or just a copy derived from the false DL's memories? It would explain why there were no humans aside from the hero, since you can't expect him to remember everyone but the most important persons.

On that note, I assume the hatched Mortamor is just a copy with full access to the original's abilities, hence the jewel of evil he infected Terry with. If I had to hazard a guess, the new Mortamor is using Terry to amass powerful monsters to sacrifice to empower the real one--it looks like the hatched version faded away after making his speech.

In any case, an immense thanks to the folks at Seven Seas for localizing this with such care and precision.