YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI S Voice Drama DLC Announced; New Battle Features And Nice QoL Improvements

2019-03-27_071602

“Square Enix held its latest broadcast for the upcoming Switch title Dragon Quest XI S, where new Japanese voice actors were revealed along with a look at new gameplay footage and info on what else is new.

2019-03-27_071629

• Kinai/Booga (CV: Yuichi Nakamura)
  • Arena Announcer & Garlinga (Shunsuke Takeuchi)

2019-03-27_071451

• Queen Marina (CV: Atsuko Tanaka)
  • Grand Master Pang (CV: Ayumi Tsunematsu)
  • Don Rodrigo (CV: Akio Otsuka)

You can watch the voice cast in the video below:

We also got a look at the latest gameplay footage:

As for some of the new things we got to see, the footage further demonstrates field exploration with party members following the leader. You’ll also get to speak to party members through the menu.

While exploring the field, you can dash by pressing the R2 button, but a useful new item called “Horse-Calling Bell” will be added that allows you to call the horse at any time. Additionally, when knocking enemies off while mounted you’ll now gain some experience points.

In battle, players will get a new faster option “super fast” to go with normal and fast. This was made with the player’s time in mind. It was also revealed that the 3DS-exclusive quests that sent you through previous Dragon Quest games will be added, but it was hinted that there will be more to it.

Lastly, to conclude the live stream, the hosts read a letter from Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii who couldn’t make it but shared the announcement that they’re currently working on a DLC, which would be the first for the game. It is expected to be a voice drama of some sort, but more info on that and other details on the game will be shared in June.“

Posted (edited)

Here's some gameplay footage YangustheLegendaryBandit missed:

Whilst I didn't get to watch the stream live, I'm pleasantly surprised Square Enix showcased around 13 minutes of gameplay footage of Dragon Quest XI S. 

And I'm happy to hear that quests exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version are coming to Dragon Quest XI S, which gives me hope that content and/or features exclusive to Nintendo 3DS version (such as Yoochi Village, the Labyrinth Beyond Time, Yoochi's Important Mission, etc.) will come to Dragon Quest XI S. 

Edited by Dakhil

1 hour ago, Dakhil said:

Here's some gameplay footage YangustheLegendaryBandit missed:

It wasn’t in the article, so I didn’t know it existed. I just copy pasted what was in the article.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It wasn’t in the article, so I didn’t know it existed. I just copy pasted what was in the article.

Ah OK.  Sorry if I seemed very snarky and condescending. 

With that being said, I can't wait to hear more information on June (presumably at E3 2019).

Edited by Dakhil

Posted (edited)

Truly THE Definitive Version.  EDIT: I take it back, this isn't the "Definitive" version, this is the "Perfect" version!

All 3DS special content in, and implied expansion (would have to).  OMG...I am floored right now.  My heart literally stopped beating for a second or two after reading this on GameFAQs.

Horse grants EXP on contact, and speed up battles?

Extra costumes.

New quests the expand Act 2, and potentially Act 3?  Will be interesting to find all of those out :).

Likely new enemies.

It's happening again...I feel very lightheaded.  This is literally EVERYTHING I could want and more.  All I wanted was PS4 + 2D + yochi village, and this version gives this and extra.

YEEESSSSSS!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I #$*!ing love you guys.  I mean I always did, but wow does this make my day VERY bright indeed.  It was already good, but wow.  Just wow.  The only thing that could make it any better is I accidentally meet the girl I'm supposed to be with today ;) (lightning apparently doesn't strike twice in one day).

Edited by ignasia

I love how you can just change things on the fly. Undecided? Try the other soundtrack or 2D mode for a couple minutes then switch back.

Welp, now all I can hope for is a Definitive edition on PS4. I don't intend on buying a Switch, but I want to have these features too. 

I mean, not having these bonuses (the 3DS content I mean) wouldn't be fair now, would it? 

• Like 1

it's fair just like how historically nintendo exclusives ended up on sony platforms with special content 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Xiggy said:

Welp, now all I can hope for is a Definitive edition on PS4. I don't intend on buying a Switch, but I want to have these features too. 

I mean, not having these bonuses (the 3DS content I mean) wouldn't be fair now, would it? 

It's not about fairness.  Fairness is arbitrary, fickle, and like personal/cultural offenses and ethics, change with the wind depending on who one is talking to.  I certainly don't see it as unfair, despite not owning a switch and having to purchase one for this version (granted I have other games I'm interested in, like FF12 on the go, XB2, and the eventual XB1 and XBX ports).

It's always about right and wrong, and this falls in the grey scale of irrelevant.  It is neither right nor wrong when it comes to us, the players.

Now if you want to request of SE these additions as paid-for-DLC, and write in letters/etc. I'm completely behind that idea.  I'd be happy to purchase them as DLC for my PS4 version and still have Switch on the go.

There is a chance they might do a patch down the road (unlikely given precedent being zero), due to SE's willingness to discuss the matter.  Even if the answer is a simple "maybe" sentence, in SE terms, maybe usually means either "yes, but be patient," because the Switch has to sell to maximum potential (they are a business and I do not begrudge them the practice even if it is a bit shady to try to force PS4/PC players to buy the Switch), or it's a "we'll see how well the Switch sells," sort of deal (this is likely the real answer in this case, as it would cost extra to upscale and upgrade the graphics for all new content to the PS4 version...that part will NOT be cheap, as graphics is the most expensive part of game development.

---

There's also the fact that the only reason for the 3DS content in the Switch version is due to US/EU players.  Both demand (Horii mentioned the extra features were due to requests from players), and due to real marketable value they can put a potential price tag on for potential sales due to PS4 and PC sales meaning there is a market for the game.  As in they feel confident the payback will offset the cost and profit from it.

So in essence, as a result of PS4/PC sales and of fan requests for the 3DS version and 3DS content, we're getting it (and Japan is also getting it).  I'm sure some requests came in from Japan, but that was the core focus of everyone who had anything to request and demand regarding DQ11 from these shores, while in Japan you'd just have to buy a 3DS version (and unlock a fairly sizeable library of games) to play those elements if you wanted them, assuming you didn't have one already (though arguably 3DS ownership is statistically 65~70% are under 25).

So whatever you might be feeling, it's because you (and I and quite a few others who will be double/triple dipping with me), bought the PS4 and PC versions.

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 1

I personally hate the word "fair". The world would be a more accepting place if people ignored the idea of fairness as equating to equalness. Two completely different concepts. I'll stop here, but whenever this comes up in elementary school it's a good 5 minute lecture from me that assures kids never use that word again in my room.

That said, I'd pay good DLC money to turn my PS4 version into this, but I doubt that'll happen for a year or more, likely never. This sets the stage for DQIX remake with a good online group play component to come to Switch next.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I personally hate the word "fair". The world would be a more accepting place if people ignored the idea of fairness as equating to equalness. Two completely different concepts. I'll stop here, but whenever this comes up in elementary school it's a good 5 minute lecture from me that assures kids never use that word again in my room.

That said, I'd pay good DLC money to turn my PS4 version into this, but I doubt that'll happen for a year or more, likely never. This sets the stage for DQIX remake with a good online group play component to come to Switch next.

I will say, it was kinda lame of them to decide not to localize the 3DS version because, I assume, they planned on bringing over the Switch version that offered the same experience, and not explain why they did this. Like, I get that they wanted to reveal things at the right time on their own time, but a lot of people bought the PS4 version because they assumed they weren’t getting anything resembling the 3DS game. I think this is just a “me” thing though because I haven’t heard much #$*!ing about it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I will say, it was kinda lame of them to decide not to localize the 3DS version because, I assume, they planned on bringing over the Switch version that offered the same experience, and not explain why they did this. Like, I get that they wanted to reveal things at the right time on their own time, but a lot of people bought the PS4 version because they assumed they weren’t getting anything resembling the 3DS game. I think this is just a “me” thing though because I haven’t heard much #$*!ing about it.
Good business sense. They got people who wanted the game on PS4 and now they get everyone who wants the update for another full version price. #$*! them, but they did it to maximize profits.

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Good business sense. They got people who wanted the game on PS4 and now they get everyone who wants the update for another full version price. #$*! them, but they did it to maximize profits.

Square Enix barely cared about the 3DS in the west. They only self published 4 games as I recall, three of them having Final Fantasy in the title.

Square Enix totally passing over the 3DS version for the west is no surprise. Thank god the content from that version will be in the Switch release.

• Upvote 1

Well, good thing I haven't bought the game yet. After the FFXV (and Dissidia NT and now KHIII) thing, not buying a SE game when it comes out has become mandatory for me. 

I'll wait for the PS4 version to have a paid DLC, or, like FFXV, I'll buy a "all DLC content included" or something. 

All I hope for is for the next DQ games we got to have the same amount of content whatever console I play it on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xiggy said:

Well, good thing I haven't bought the game yet. After the FFXV (and Dissidia NT and now KHIII) thing, not buying a SE game when it comes out has become mandatory for me. 

I'll wait for the PS4 version to have a paid DLC, or, like FFXV, I'll buy a "all DLC content included" or something. 

All I hope for is for the next DQ games we got to have the same amount of content whatever console I play it on. 

Ok...so you're actively admitting you don't want to support the game at all.  Why are you here?

It's a common practice, especially when a game is postponed for a separate system.  It's the rule, and not just for SE, even for Western companies, to add content to later releases on other systems.  Some downplay it, some add just cosmetic stuff (and see low sales, then the next time go for bigger stuff like features not added to the original or substories that were initially planned).

---

Dragon Quest nearly always, when releasing on a new system, adds extra content.

There has been NO news regarding DQ11S for us specifically.  Meaning only fans or people who traverse fansites will know about DQ11S.  Casual DQ fans, general JRPG fans, etc. have little to no idea, because they don't frequent Siliconera or Gamatsu.  No major publication is putting out DQ11S details for good reason: SE wants focus on Builders 2, which is the current mainstay for the series, and would likely share sales consideration with DQ11S as many of the same types of gamers would play both and would likely focus on one or the other.

So essentially, for the US/EU, we're not supposed to know this stuff.  In the past, pre-internet, we wouldn't.

The only reason we do is Japan has waited for nearly 2 years now, and when this releases, it will be over 2 years, probably several months over.

The only reason we are so close to release date for the Switch is due to the extra time SE took in consideration for PS4 and PC fans in the West, and I don't mean the VA work, which would NOT have added time, as that would have easily been finished following the script completion, and could have been done alongside it after X amount of localization is done, Y amount of VA work is completed.  No, the only logical reason we took so long, as it was another 5 months past the average release period of 10 months for a DQ game, is the Draconian mode additions, mostly the Super Strong Monsters, which was clearly heavily tested as the bonuses range wildly.

The only reason for the Switch delay was an oversight in development that wasn't expected and couldn't have been expected as Epic took longer to finalized the Switch release of UE4 than they initially planned (or clearly told development companies, as SE would not have bothered announcing it so early on had they not been promised the system was operational and fully compliant by a certain point after they began initial development).

----

One last thing.  Whenever a Dragon Quest releases with the EXACT SAME CONTENT as the previous released (or reduced content as in the case of DQ3 mobile, as the original version was too large for average phones at the time, and they were lazy with the second mobile release on smartphones), sales are VERY LOW.  Abysmally low.  Average is somewhere around 200k.  Whenever a Dragon Quest releases with EXTRA CONTENT on a new system down the road, regardless of how long, it sells around an average of 1.25m.

That's Japan.  Historically it's not JUST Japan that sees higher numbers of releases on a new system later on when extra content is present.  Sales tend to be VERY low when they're not.

It also means other people get the benefit of more content, often good content.  This is not like Square Co. LTD's shitty as #$*! enhanced port additional content in the late 90's and early 00's.  Where we'd see hackneyed randomly put together dungeons, with random bosses, insanely OP weapons, and no rebalancing of the original for what monsters are left to make the OPness worthwhile, or no removal of damage caps to make them worthwhile at all as 9999 was already achievable in the original.  One or two bosses function like an easter egg, like FF4 Easy Type's Bug Version of Zeromus as the ultimate post-game dungeon boss.

No, this is thoughtful content.  Content not present for the US as well due to the 3DS, and content that at the time would have taken way too long to put on the PS4/PC as it would have required heavy costs.  I don't believe for a second any of the 3DS stuff was added for any other reasons than:

1. US/EU sales were higher than expected, not super fantastic, but mid-range in their desired numbers, and better than previous releases, showing real growth.
  2. US/EU gamers writing in messages asking for the 3DS version a lot.  There's a petition that's done well (I had nearly 2.5k signatures back in later September, early October of last year...it's gone up slower since as I stopped promoting it, as did everyone else), and apparently people have written in.  The only people who would request this?  Not Japanese gamers, as they can just buy the 3DS, and wouldn't expect that content in the Switch.  No, US/EU.

They needed to assure investment was worth their time and money spent.

So why are you here?  If you're a fan, you support the game that the company makes clear is THE SINGLE DETERMINANT for DQ's future in the West.

• They haven't announced DQHeroes Switch in the time they would, since they started focusing on DQ11.  When 11 was first announced they made it clear this game would determine the future of the series.
  • NO DQ game of any kind has been announced for the West from October of 2017, through February of 2019, technically we can say October 2018.  October 2017 being the original planned announcement month, and October 2018 being the official worldwide Switch title announcement and reiteration since the NA/EU release of absolute reassurance that the Switch is Westward bound (they did tell us with the March 28th, 2017 PS4 announcement, but as a to-be-released-later).
  • We still do not have DQ7 Mobile, and the missing 3DS games are now definitely not coming, and there's as yet no word on DQHeroes 1+2 Switch
  • Dragon Quest 10 hasn't had any positive mention for the West since shortly after the PS4/PC release, when SE indicated sales were better than expected they're happy, and they are considering an offline DQ10.

This is not a game in the sense that SE is playing us.  JRPG sales in Japan for most series are slumping due to overshadowing by mobile games.  This is likely not unnoticed by SE with their other series.  They need to assure Western expansion to have any real growth or potential for a healthy overall worldwide sales number in case even DQ is hit by this issue.  Do note the only DQ mobile game to sell well is DQ3 mobile, and ONLY after it went free to play.

The point is without PS4/PC sales, the Switch wouldn't have nearly as much content.

Without PS4/PC sales, likely Builders 2 would still be released, but only as a continual testing ground to see how well it can continue to sell, much like the monsters series were always in a form of sales probation and monitoring, then pulled if they don't see real growth as they're too risk averse, not for profit as no DQ has released here that hasn't profited, but far more likely for the embarrassment of SE's Japanese flagship series doing so poorly outside Japan.

Now, SE can take a bit of a deep breath, and rethink their Western strategy for DQ as a result of the PS4/PC sales.  As if they were low, there is a very good chance we would see them react differently and we wouldn't hear a peep of positivity, and it might actually be very iffy if a remake comes out down the road, or any spinoff.  As things are now, even if we feel a need to start a fan campaign, SE is more likely to listen and react positively.

=====

TL;DR version:

1) Japan has been waiting a bloody long ass time.  2+ years by release.  They are the main audience.  Our release was heavily delayed so timing sucks to improve the PS4/PC.

2) Releases on new systems after the fact do very poorly if lacking extra content, especially in Japan.  (FPS are the sole exception, even Skyrim...yes, Skyrim post original console and PC releases, Shmups, Beat'em Ups, Fighters and Racing games run into sales problems)

3) Without PS4/PC sales being good in the West, the Switch would have just PS4 mode and the originally announced extra content, and Japanese VA work.  I'm not saying maybe, I'm saying definitely.  I don't have a source, but I don't need one, logic and analysis is aplenty.  We didn't get the 3DS version, but at least we're getting its content.  SE is buffing out the story and character drama in the Switch to add extra emphasis on Act 2.  That's not wrong, that's positive additional content...why would you NOT want that to be created and added?

13 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Ok...so you're actively admitting you don't want to support the game at all.  Why are you here?

What nonsense is that? Supporting the game? I'd be more than happy to play DQXI on PS4, and to buy a paid DLC to have the extra content the Switch version will have, or even better, to buy a game+DLC on the same disk. 

Just like I would have bought any DQ on 3DS, just like I bought VII and VIII. Heck, I even bought DQI to III on mobile and the entirety of the Emblem of Roto (and its sequel now being published) when they came out. 

I fully support more DQ being published outside Japan. That's precisely because I do that I'd be really pissed not to have an equivalent of DQXIS on the platform I play on (PS4). That being said, I'm not going to buy a game on PS4 just so that people playing on another platform can get contents that PS4 players won't get. Those contents are available because the game saled well eh ? Then why not showing kindness or some kind of reward to those who actually payed for the game and made it a success? 

I know I haven't bought the game yet, don't get me wrong. I was far too busy playing Builders and Heroes 1 and 2, as well as VIII on 3DS to consider buying XI when it came out. But my bet is there were enough people out there buying the game on PS4 and PC for the game to receive more content on Switch. Hurray, that's great for Switch players. But what about those who don't own/want a Switch and play on PS4 and/or PC? 

I do know that any new contents added to the PS4 and PC version will need extra work and therefore will require more money from players. I suspect we all are aware of that. And I suspect it is likely that many of us playing on PS4 or PC will be okay with paying to get these new contents (I know I will). 

So really, what's the problem? Why I am here? Because I love Dragon Quest would be my guess. But that doesn't mean I'm going to buy anything blindly. They announced soon enough after the PS4 and PC version that the Switch version would get extra content. So I'll be patiently waiting for those content to be confirmed on the vanilla version before buying it. And if these extra content aren't going to be on the vanilla version... Well, I'll then get the cheapest collector PS4 edition of the game I can find and play it while being salty. 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xiggy said:

I imagine if Square Enix decides to put the exclusive features of Dragon Quest XI S as paid DLC for the PlayStation 4 & PC versions, you'll probably have to wait for a minimum of a year after Dragon Quest XI S is released on the Nintendo Switch.

I wouldn't expect future Dragon Quest games (or any future JRPGs in general) to have the same amount of content no matter what console it's being played on, if I were you, since there's always going to be definite versions of JRPGs released on consoles other than the consoles the games were originally released on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Xiggy said:

don't support companies that stand for censorship, use hardware that lets 3rd parties do whatever they want

29 minutes ago, wiregu said:

don't support companies that stand for censorship, use hardware that lets 3rd parties do whatever they want

Well, in this situation he’s supporting Square Enix moreso than Sony.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wiregu said:

I suspect you're talking about the game where you play the guy with the red coat and white hair, yes? 

As silly as censoring is, I couldn't care less about what Sony did for the game. Unless you absolutely wanted to see a couple of butts, that's not going to change the game's content. 

And yes, I don't support Sony, or Nintendo. I want to support Square Enix I guess. 

16 hours ago, wiregu said:

Of course, there's Steam on PC, and Dragon Quest XI so happens to be on Steam.