Dakhil

"Dragon Quest XI S Shows Off 2D Mode, Additional Story, and More in its New Batch of Screenshots"

Posted (edited)

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/03/13/dragon-quest-xi-s-shows-off-2d-mode-additional-story-and-more-in-its-new-batch-of-screenshots/

028-1.jpg

Square Enix is readying up the "definitive edition" of Dragon Quest XI with Dragon Quest XI S for Switch. The game shared a look at some of its features including 2D mode and more with new screenshots.

016-3.jpg

The first big addition to Dragon Quest XI S is the 2D Mode which was available exclusively for the 3DS version. It basically allows players to switch between 3D and 2D graphics at any time during the game.

Here's a comparison of what you see in the world in 3D and 2D:

3D Mode

017-3.jpg

018-2.jpg

2D Mode

019-2.jpg

020-2.jpg

Here are some more additions to the game:

022-2.jpg

The option to switch to an orchestrated soundtrack. Those who prefer the previous version will get the option to use that instead.

023-1.jpg

This time around, your party members will follow you when moving out on the field.

024-1.jpg

The original Dragon Quest XI on PS4 and 3DS didn't come with voiced lines in Japan. The new voiced lines include conversation scenes in 3D mode, quotes and breathing from characters during battle. Players will also get the option to toggle voicing off and on.

Here are the Japanese voice actors for the characters:

• Protagonist (CV: Mitsuki Saiga)
  • Erik (CV: Koki Uchiyama)
  • Vernoica (CV: Maaya Uchida)
  • Serena (CV: Sora Amamiya)
  • Sylvando (CV: Masaya Onosaka)
  • Jade (CV: Ami Koshimizu)
  • Rab (CV: Mugihito)

And here are some screenshots showing the new stories that features different part members as the protagonists:

025-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

Erik appears to be friends with a Healslime in his story, where he gets swarmed by monsters.

027-1.jpg

028-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

The game will have plenty more to share about the characters.

021-1.jpg

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition releases in Fall 2019 for Nintendo Switch. Square Enix has yet to decide whether they'll add the new stories and other features to the PS4 and PC versions of Dragon Quest XI.

Read more stories about Dragon Quest XI S & Nintendo Switch on Siliconera.

Edited by Dakhil

I can't believe they made it look this good on the switch, there is a big gap in power when going from PS4 to Switch. 2D mode seems fun for a second playthrough, but I really want to see the 3D world in it's full glory first. The tiles look a bit like DQ6.
Also I think the japanese menus look better with the classic style compared to the modified western menus. They started this with DQ8 iirc. Maybe they have polled players and most people want the medieval menus, while in japan players probably want the famicom nostalgia.

Speaking of menus, I know I'm being ridiculous here, but I'm not a fan of the font used in the menu/text box when playing in 2D mode on the western version of Dragon Quest XI S (which you can see below).

qyaMLiq439JAr6pvkQVITA-wiyGe6wtO.jpg

Whilst I like both the classic menu and the modified Western menu, I have a slight preference for the classic menu. Whilst it's very much unlikely, I would like an option to switch between the modified Western menu and the classic menu. And it would be nice to see the classic menu use the same font that the modified Western menu uses (as shown below) if there's an option I would like an option to switch between the modified Western menu and the classic menu.

Dragon-Quest-XI-Redeem-DLC-01-e153917438

I'm looking forward to the new story scenarios for the major characters.

Posted (edited)

That font is to mimic a 16-bit system font, so it's natural that they would use it. I'm just now getting around to playing 3DS VIII and I'm not a huge fan of the font like that. Mainly because it's anti-aliased at a low resolution. It looks blurry. I'd rather have no alias and jagged edges if it means clear and brighter text.

I'm mixed on 2D mode. I've always loved the option and am thankful we're getting it. The monster sprites are from the PS/DS era. I'd love it if they had some basic animation. Without it it looks like something's missing. It's a lot to ask for, plus that would mean mimicking Heart Beat/ArtéPiazza's earlier work. If it looked like DQ V, cool, but it's VI/IIIr, so my brain expects it. The monster animations should've been added back in for III mobile.

Edited by Dwaine

23 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Whilst

23 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Whilst

Ye speaketh the olde language!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dwaine said:

That font is to mimic a 16-bit system font, so it's natural that they would use it. I'm just now getting around to playing 3DS VIII and I'm not a huge fan of the font like that. Mainly because it's anti-aliased at a low resolution. It looks blurry. I'd rather have no alias and jagged edges if it means clear and brighter text.

I'm mixed on 2D mode. I've always loved the option and am thankful we're getting it. The monster sprites are from the PS/DS era. I'd love it if they had some basic animation. Without it it looks like something's missing. It's a lot to ask for, plus that would mean mimicking Heart Beat/ArtéPiazza's earlier work. If it looked like DQ V, cool, but it's VI/IIIr, so my brain expects it. The monster animations should've been added back in for III mobile.

My sentiments on the animation, especially in DQ3...I'm just praying that if we get the PS4 (and perhaps even the 3DS...unlikely as it would be) release of 1~3, they add in animations (highly unlikely, unfortunately).  We don't know for sure though.  Hell with the amount of time they have left, there's a potential 2~5 months of development time they have.  Plus it isn't like they're going heavy yet on reveals.  Just the same bits as before, with emphasis on certain elements, and yet it's clear that they've already spent 2 years of development time on this game (so it's already a major expense as is).

I realize Japan is very funky as well with nostalgia elements, but I think SE has let the DQ3 mobile numbers in Japan get into their heads and confuse them as to why "free" = high numbers, especially when the Wii sold like ass compared to all other previous releases in Japan, and the PS4/3DS have sold even worse, to the point where it took me hours to find any number related to actual sales a few months ago, and it's bad...potentially under 100k for each game between both systems.

So there's potential time.  Plus if they really want it to be "definitive," it would behoove them to add in animations to the 2D models, which would define it as the next level beyond the 3DS and something the Japanese audience hasn't experienced for this mode as of yet, and one that would be readily experienced up front.

What I really hope to hear about, is the Yochi Village sidequest makes it in, in some capacity, with expanded elements.  I just can't qualify the term "definitive" without it.  It would seem hollow, as the 3DS would still be on par for me (especially as I prefer the 3D graphical style of the 3DS to the PS4).

Edited by ignasia

On 3/18/2019 at 9:32 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Ye speaketh the olde language!

You just noticed?  :P

But in all seriousness, even though "whilst" is considered archaic and pretentious in the U.S., "whilst" is still used in the U.K. and Australia. So "whilst" hasn't truly reached "olde language" status yet. :P

On 3/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, ignasia said:

My sentiments on the animation, especially in DQ3...I'm just praying that if we get the PS4 (and perhaps even the 3DS...unlikely as it would be) release of 1~3, they add in animations (highly unlikely, unfortunately).  We don't know for sure though.  Hell with the amount of time they have left, there's a potential 2~5 months of development time they have.  Plus it isn't like they're going heavy yet on reveals.  Just the same bits as before, with emphasis on certain elements, and yet it's clear that they've already spent 2 years of development time on this game (so it's already a major expense as is).

I realize Japan is very funky as well with nostalgia elements, but I think SE has let the DQ3 mobile numbers in Japan get into their heads and confuse them as to why "free" = high numbers, especially when the Wii sold like ass compared to all other previous releases in Japan, and the PS4/3DS have sold even worse, to the point where it took me hours to find any number related to actual sales a few months ago, and it's bad...potentially under 100k for each game between both systems.

So there's potential time.  Plus if they really want it to be "definitive," it would behoove them to add in animations to the 2D models, which would define it as the next level beyond the 3DS and something the Japanese audience hasn't experienced for this mode as of yet, and one that would be readily experienced up front.

What I really hope to hear about, is the Yochi Village sidequest makes it in, in some capacity, with expanded elements.  I just can't qualify the term "definitive" without it.  It would seem hollow, as the 3DS would still be on par for me (especially as I prefer the 3D graphical style of the 3DS to the PS4).

I would love to see monsters in the 2D mode of Dragon Quest XI S have the same animations as the monsters in the Nintendo DS Dragon Quest remakes (although it's highly unlikely).

I would also love to be able to access Yoochi Village and partake in the Labyrinth Beyond Time and Yoochi's Important Mission in Dragon Quest XI S.

But I guess we'll have to wait until E3 2019 for more information.

Whilst highly unlikely, I hope that Dragon Quest I, Dragon Quest II, and Dragon Quest III, if coming to the Nintendo Switch, are more than the ported over mobile versions (as is the case with the games released on PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo 3DS in Japan). I would like to see improvements, no matter how minor the improvements are. One example is monsters in Dragon Quest III having the same animation as monsters in the Nintendo DS Dragon Quest remakes.

Posted (edited)

They could make a mobile port of the 2D mode.

Edited by Billy MK
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

it would have been so much better to have the 3DS version instead of the HD version for the 3D version on Switch because I'm afraid for the rendering and the frame rate on the final game.

Otherwise cool that they included the 2D version and the symphonic music will be a blessing for the ears that will have suffered on PS4 (since on PC we have the orchestral music mods).

Now these additions could be included via downloadable content on PS4 and PC? Yes. Will Square Enix do it? No.

Appvalley TutuApp Tweakbox

Edited by avensis

On 4/2/2019 at 6:11 AM, avensis said:

it would have been so much better to have the 3DS version instead of the HD version for the 3D version on Switch because I'm afraid for the rendering and the frame rate on the final game.

Otherwise cool that they included the 2D version and the symphonic music will be a blessing for the ears that will have suffered on PS4 (since on PC we have the orchestral music mods).

Now these additions could be included via downloadable content on PS4 and PC? Yes. Will Square Enix do it? No.

I wouldn't be.  It'll likely be a solid 30FPS virtually everywhere, save in a very small number of places (maybe the Fortress of Fear, even then I don't see it likely the dips will be everywhere or lower than 25FPS, if they show up at all).  It isn't like the game is accounting for multiple flashy actions at once, which is where frame drops come from in other games, especially Heroes.  You'll notice that even in normal battling in videos over Frame rate in Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 on Switch (sad it hasn't come out here yet), the frame rate is consistently high, usually around 30FPS, even accounting for far more monsters moving in screen in a single area than what appears on the entire map in most maps in Dragon Quest 11.  Plus the distance draw for enemies is longer for Heroes than it is for Dragon Quest 11 (and that's comparing to the PS4 Pro), but then the design for most maps in Heroes are for wide, large open fields, whereas there's more rocky terrain, bends, etc. blocking views anyhow, except for Heliodor Field, in front of Gallopolis, and one section of Emerald Coast, and there it's about halfway to 1/3rd of the full distance of the map where you can see monsters spawned in, whereas in Heroes, it's almost the whole field.

So given this, they should be consistent, even when bumping with the Horse.  The videos shown so far indicate no frame drops of any kind, just as I would suspect.

the 3ds version is overrated

I wish they'd use the old Dragon Warrior NES font for 2D mode. The NES and SNES were pretty close when it came to resolution, and font sizes were typically about the same on each system (as both systems had similar sprite/tile size constraints - usually 8 x 8 or 16 x 16 pixels). That'd be a really neat callback.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2019 at 10:10 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

I wish they'd use the old Dragon Warrior NES font for 2D mode. The NES and SNES were pretty close when it came to resolution, and font sizes were typically about the same on each system (as both systems had similar sprite/tile size constraints - usually 8 x 8 or 16 x 16 pixels). That'd be a really neat callback.

Like this?

Dragon_quest_battle_2.png

I think it would be a nice option.

Maybe that font could be used when entering the Dragon Quest I universe during Yocchi's Important Mission.

Edited by Dakhil

Yep, that one!

Hey @Michi...

On 4/6/2019 at 10:51 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

Yep, that one!

Hey @Michi...

Dragon Quest XI S is being completely handled by Nintendo outside of Japan. I work for Square Enix America. 😛

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Michi said:
Dragon Quest XI S is being completely handled by Nintendo outside of Japan. I work for Square Enix America.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Nintendo's handling the publishing of Dragon Quest XI S outside Japan and is paying Square Enix for the localisation?

Edited by Dakhil

1 hour ago, Dakhil said:
2 hours ago, Michi said:
Dragon Quest XI S is being completely handled by Nintendo outside of Japan. I work for Square Enix America. emoji14.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Nintendo's handling the publishing of Dragon Quest XI S outside Japan and is paying Square Enix for the localisation?

No, because that would cause conflicts with the original localization and VA work.  That would be 100% Square-Enix Japan handling that, then Nintendo handles all the rest, from prints, to box art (which would be handled between NoJ and SEoJ ahead of time.  SE would have to own ALL work, and that means ALL localization work (same with DQ's 9, 6 DS, Joker 2, 8 3DS, and 7 3DS).  Nintendo might have hired 8-4 for DQ6, but because of the mobile release, it's SE's money that paid for it, Nintendo just handled the job (DQ9, it was SE that handled it).  We can already tell this because of all the non-issues with DQ6 mobile, and Nintendo's name not present anywhere.

We won't see box art or any of that until about a month after Builders comes out (so probably not till e3, or just prior to it).

It's just like with DQ's 8 and 7 though (and unlike 9/6/J2), where Nintendo handles all production elements.  Localization would be "development," and again, because 90% of the text/VA work is already property of SE, and SE might release the game again down the road, and would require that work and no contractual conflicts due to copyright, as with Armor project, it's Armor Project who would fully own those rights, SE of Japan pays for it, so they can do remakes without having to redo the text or argue with Nintendo on what system it should go on if it's going to use the text related to the Switch specific elements.

Meaning why bother with red tape and irrational conflicts that can bottleneck projects down the road?  They won't, as SE learned that issue from their former partnership with Electronic Arts (well, the Square part did), while Enix has always been VERY familiar with it due to their contracts.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ignasia said:
No, because that would cause conflicts with the original localization and VA work.  That would be 100% Square-Enix Japan handling that, then Nintendo handles all the rest, from prints, to box art (which would be handled between NoJ and SEoJ ahead of time.  SE would have to own ALL work, and that means ALL localization work (same with DQ's 9, 6 DS, Joker 2, 8 3DS, and 7 3DS).  Nintendo might have hired 8-4 for DQ6, but because of the mobile release, it's SE's money that paid for it, Nintendo just handled the job (DQ9, it was SE that handled it).  We can already tell this because of all the non-issues with DQ6 mobile, and Nintendo's name not present anywhere.

We won't see box art or any of that until about a month after Builders comes out (so probably not till e3, or just prior to it).

It's just like with DQ's 8 and 7 though (and unlike 9/6/J2), where Nintendo handles all production elements.  Localization would be "development," and again, because 90% of the text/VA work is already property of SE, and SE might release the game again down the road, and would require that work and no contractual conflicts due to copyright, as with Armor project, it's Armor Project who would fully own those rights, SE of Japan pays for it, so they can do remakes without having to redo the text or argue with Nintendo on what system it should go on if it's going to use the text related to the Switch specific elements.

Meaning why bother with red tape and irrational conflicts that can bottleneck projects down the road?  They won't, as SE learned that issue from their former partnership with Electronic Arts (well, the Square part did), while Enix has always been VERY familiar with it due to their contracts.

I meant to say pay Square Enix to do the localisation. Bad wording on my part.

So Square Enix is responsible for the localisation whilst Nintendo's responsible for the marketing and the publishing. Does that sound correct?

Edited by Dakhil

4 hours ago, Dakhil said:

I meant to say pay Square Enix to do the localisation. Bad wording on my part.

So Square Enix is responsible for the localisation whilst Nintendo's responsible for the marketing and the publishing. Does that sound correct?

Yep, that would accurately describe it. 

Also any online stuff.  Since the whole DQ9 DQVC debacle, it seems that Nintendo is fully handling all online content now.  

On 4/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, Michi said:

Dragon Quest XI S is being completely handled by Nintendo outside of Japan. I work for Square Enix America. 😛

Awww. It's so sad that Square Enix still won't put in all the effort necessary to make the series succeed in the west themselves. Why must Nintendo handle every release from the series that is exclusive to their consoles?

That said, at least we're getting it from SOMEBODY... @Michi, know who I should bother about this idea, then?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Awww. It's so sad that Square Enix still won't put in all the effort necessary to make the series succeed in the west themselves. Why must Nintendo handle every release from the series that is exclusive to their consoles?

That said, at least we're getting it from SOMEBODY... @Michi, know who I should bother about this idea, then?

Might have to do with the audience size for Nintendo vs SE, and the potential belief that any SE fan with a Nintendo system is likely to be paying attention to Nintendo channels, and perhaps because a lot of DQ fansites and general sites are also likely to see posts about anything DQ related, so this would include Nintendo Directs, thus widening the scope of the audience and reducing overall potential costs for marketing (at least in their eyes).

It would also make for an easier release as SE will have to go all out to push DQ11 Switch in Japan, and rather than split resources, as virtually all SEoA/E decisions will be made at the SEoJ level, it would reduce the wait time and processing period in the different marketing.

Plus, SE hasn't been as consistent when it comes to marketing DQ until recently, and only in lieu of using Conventions as a go-to easy access and possibly cheaper alternative than buying TV spots while providing for a wider audience?

Could also be Nintendo has had overall generally better success when pushing new games (as compared to remakes), on their specific systems in the West and they have exponentially greater overall experience, not just reach.  So it serves as a triple whammy.  Plus there's also a lot of rumour that FF7r will appear at this e3, and they seem very credible, with a likely November 2019 to April 2020 release window for the first release.  So they're probably more concerned with conflicts that could cause general oversight of DQ11 Switch on their own social media outlets, as most FF fans are clamouring for just FF news.  Just look at the feed for DQ11, Heroes 1, Builders, and now Builders 2, whenever a stream is done.  There are quite a few people bashing that it's a DQ game, and not KH or FF being shown.  I don't doubt the marketing departments look at the commentary and consider potential issues if there's a truly desired release.  KH3 vs DQ11 saw a lot of KH3 commentors shitting all over DQ (and not one DQ commentor shitting on KH threads), filling up the twitter feed with nearly 30% "boring, KH3 now please" or something akin to that.

FF7 has a bigger potential draw than KH3 would, and given time and cost, SE needs to start putting up or shutting up concerning FF7, especially given cost overruns and glaring issues with stock drops thanks to FF development cycles since 13 (well, technically 12, but 13 was much worse).  That can't look good for investors to note that quite a few series aren't performing as well as they should, and FF7r is costing an arm and a leg in continued development, and other games are seeing FF development cycle hell, like KH3, because of poor management. 

So I imagine that's the core reason.  Assuring DQ11 gets maximum exposure, and assures maximum sales, as Nintendo will have a much easier time focusing on it.  Plus given the emphasis from Nintendo themselves on "Definitive Edition," they themselves are already turning this into a contest, which bodes VERY well for potential marketing after Builders 2 has settled down in sales.  I get the impression they want the current crop of DQ enthusiasts, connoisseurs, and curious gamers to think of Nintendo when they think of DQ.

===

That said, yes, I agree, SE should be handling this on their own to show their level of desire to see DQ succeed, but consider the behaviour of the DQ7 producers and main programmer at e3.  They were apprehensive to approach any conversation about why DQ7 is a worthwhile game, as they were clearly scared and very unsure about what they would say that might be seen as detrimental in US eyes, as they had no clue how to approach DQ to US audiences.  They were stuttering half the time, not looking people in the eye, and a lot of pauses to consider how to answer even rudimentary gameplay questions.  Except for Horii's enthusiasm, even with DQ11 there's still a hint of risk aversion based on fear of potential failure, and from certain tweets from everyone in the team who isn't Yuji Horii, it seems fairly strong even with DQ11's release being "made with Westerner's in mind."

So despite that I think this is a smart move as they become more and more relaxed and confident in light of DQ's potential future outside Japan. 

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

there's also a lot of rumour that FF7r will appear at this e3,

Square are the real kings of vaporware. Remember 13 "versus"? FF7 remake will become FF 16 lol

Not that I hate FF, I just think the hype is too surreal.

most FF fans are clamouring for just FF news.  Just look at the feed for DQ11, Heroes 1, Builders, and now Builders 2, whenever a stream is done.  There are quite a few people bashing that it's a DQ game, and not KH or FF being shown.  

I have also noticed westerners bashing DQ whenever there's an announcement, in different languages. I think it's a real trend.
Maybe with positive growth, negativity also increases, the series is getting more attention, in both ways.

It annoys me because I love DQ and I think it's underappreciated.

I don't want SE demoralized and stopping localizing DQ internationally. DQ and Persona are the only kind of games that I really enjoy lately.

Edited by wiregu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

That's not really what's going on. The business side is more complicated than "not putting in effort" or anything like that. That said, you'd wanna bother Nintendo anyway.

3 hours ago, Michi said:

That's not really what's going on. The business side is more complicated than "not putting in effort" or anything like that.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it really is more complicated than that - but I (and I'm sure others feel this way too) can't help but feel like once again, SE is trying to weasel it's way out of worldwide Dragon Quest releases. We've had such a hard time throughout the decades actually getting to play the series, any inkling of hesitation on a release is enough to make it feel as if the series is doomed simply because, well, f*** everyone who isn't Japanese. It certainly doesn't help that they actively try to keep us from playing the best game in the series IMO (X), even if we go through the trouble to buy the game and pay the monthly subscription. This isn't personally towards you, Michi, but I have no trust whatsoever in Square Enix.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure it really is more complicated than that - but I (and I'm sure others feel this way too) can't help but feel like once again, SE is trying to weasel it's way out of worldwide Dragon Quest releases. We've had such a hard time throughout the decades actually getting to play the series, any inkling of hesitation on a release is enough to make it feel as if the series is doomed simply because, well, f*** everyone who isn't Japanese. It certainly doesn't help that they actively try to keep us from playing the best game in the series IMO (X), even if we go through the trouble to buy the game and pay the monthly subscription. This isn't personally towards you, Michi, but I have no trust whatsoever in Square Enix.

I agree. I have no qualms against Michi and the Dragon Quest team since she and the rest of the team did the best they can with the budget they got from Square Enix (I'm talking about Square Enix in Japan, not in the U.S.), but I feel like Square Enix didn't really market Dragon Quest XI that much. Maybe it's because I intentionally avoid looking for Dragon Quest XI news before it got released, so I can stay away from spoilers. But I think it's a good indicator of how little Square Enix marketed Dragon Quest XI, because I feel like people who haven't heard of the Dragon Quest series nor have they actively search for news about the Dragon Quest series aren't going to know much about Dragon Quest XI since I've barely seen any Dragon Quest XI advertising nor any mention of Dragon Quest XI on the internet before its release (I think I remember only seeing an advertisement of Dragon Quest XI on Reddit, at least for me personally). 

With that being said, I have hope that Dragon Quest XI S will sell well, because from what I've seen so far, Nintendo's been doing a very good job at marketing Dragon Quest XI S. And it was thanks to Nintendo that Dragon Quest IX sold around 1.02 million copies in North America and Europe (which is why Square Enix entrusted Nintendo to market and publish Dragon Quest titles coming to Nintendo consoles) and Octopath Traveler selling around 1.5 million copies worldwide. So I'm cautiously excited about Dragon Quest XI S sales.

Edited by Dakhil