Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

I'm surprised you found a store that sells them, other then the majority of the first wave figures, the only ones stores bother to stock are the ones they have exclusively or Mario/Zelda themed figures. It's an endless sea of Mario and Peach in my electronics aisles.

Rosalina and Luma are only at Target in case you were unaware. They're priced the same as the others, which is like $13. I picked up a Rosalina this time last week and their were a couple left.

I'm surprised you found a store that sells them, other then the majority of the first wave figures, the only ones stores bother to stock are the ones they have exclusively or Mario/Zelda themed figures. It's an endless sea of Mario and Peach in my electronics aisles.

Had Link and Marth for a while now, but had Shulk on pre-order. The guy ahead of me at Gamestop asked if he could buy any more Shulks, which they denied him due to pre-orders. I wonder how hard to find he's going to be for a while.

I could never do the Amiibo thing. It just seems so frustrating to deal with Nintendo's supply hijinks.

However, I would like a Ness for the sole reason of it being official Earthbound/Mother 2 merchandise. But yeah, not gonna deal with the headache.

Oh geez, I know how you feel about Ness. I've been watching Amazon constantly to see when the pre-orders for his amiibo open up.  No doubt he's gonna be a (insert curse word here) to find if you don't pre-order.  I need him, Jigglypuff, Capt. Falcon, and Fox and then I'm calling it good for amiibos.  All I care about is the original 12 since I've grown up with them since the original Smash.

I mentioned it previously but all I'm really after is Samus (check), Rosalina and Luma (check), Marth, Robin, and Lucina. I'm probably gonna get a preorder on the last two because there's no way in hell I'll find them out in the ecosystem but I'm too nervous that the pre-order shenanigans that have been plaguing a lot of people will occur. I generally have bad luck with pre-orders to begin with.

I've got a couple other random ones that I got on a whim like Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Link, all of whom are easy to find. I also got a big, dumb Mario "?" block that you can store amiibos in. It adds a little bit of flare to my game shelf.

Had to babysit the terrors essentially by myself since the other two teens in the house did very little. Apparently lousy lunch and being on my feet for hours don't mix well.

My younger brother seems to be coming down with something, and I have two big interviews coming up... uh oh. I just recovered from something last week, too!

wlgyMpL.gif

So I gained the ability to compose again.

And lost all drive to draw in the process.

I hate blocks.

Edited by SlackerGuyS21

wlgyMpL.gif

So I gained the ability to compose again.

And lost all drive to draw in the process.

I hate blocks.

Shakespeare had a go at it with "honorificabilititudinitatibus" - which, depending on whom you ask, either means "the state of being loaded with honors" or is an anagram proclaiming that Francis Bacon, not the Bard, really wrote Shakespeare's plays.

PREPARE FOR IMPACT. WESTERN DRAGON QUEST RELEASE IMMINENT.

#Illuminati2015

Well, soon as my tablet has a higher charge, I'm leaving for the night. This place is nuts. Too nuts. Don't need this extra stress.

Tomorrow at school we are having a competition where girls wear a heart with their name on it and if they talk to a boy, the boy gets the heart. The one with the most hearts wins chocolate. I plan on winning this. After all, my puns make it hard for people to stay quiet around me. They tell me to shut up.

Edited by Democrobot

On today's adventure to find employment, a place is asking me to take an exam before I can be brought in for an interview.

I swear it was easier to get work BEFORE I got a my Bachelor's. I'm running into so many "do x before we will talk to you", it's not funny.

Yesterday I got a call for an interview. But it was early in the morning on the other side of town. Even if I caught the earliest bus out of here, I wouldn't have gotten there on time. I asked if it would be possible schedule it for later in the day, but the man on the other end said that he would only be available early in the morning. He also said that the shift that opened up started that early in the morning. Now, I could have probably asked my dad to drive me to the interview, but I definitely couldn't have him drive me to work every morning, so I told the guy I appreciated the call but that unfortunately I'd have to pass due to the fact that I don't have my own vehicle or any other way to get to that side of town that early in the morning.

Not only was that embarassing, but it also puts me in a catch-22. I can't afford to buy a car because I don't have a job, but I may not be able to get a job any time soon because I have no reliable source of transportation.

It's discouraging, to say the least.

I'm not going to give up though. Hell I have loans to deal with and 4 months before I need to start paying. I have an emergency fund to help with initial payments but...

My dad lost his job last summer (layoffs), and he hasn't been able to find work since. He's got age working against him though, not gonna be easy to hire someone who they think would retire in a few years (even though he won't be anytime soon).

#Illuminati2015

Well, soon as my tablet has a higher charge, I'm leaving for the night. This place is nuts. Too nuts. Don't need this extra stress.

Tomorrow at school we are having a competition where girls wear a heart with their name on it and if they talk to a boy, the boy gets the heart. The one with the most hearts wins chocolate. I plan on winning this. After all, my puns make it hard for people to stay quiet around me. They tell me to shut up.

Fascinating tactic. My senior year they did this calendar couple thing. We walked around asking donations for a charity. The boy & girl with the most got to be calendar couple and a full page in the yearbook. I had lower goals. The next 12 people in order got to be Mr & Mrs _____ whatever month in order. Since I found most months to be boring, I continually contributed money donated to me to other guys so I fell to a nice 13th place and Mr December. Because a Christmas outfit was easier than any other last half of the year!

It's a terrible contradiction. You can't get experience without a job and you can't get a job without experience.

And that is the biggest problem, and it needs to end.

That's just...

OK, look at it this way. I work. A lot. My tasks are very time consuming, I have many of them, and there are only so many hours in a day. Say I need to hire someone to handle scanning and assembling images. My applicants are interested in the work, but don't really know how to scan or Photoshop basics. Know the gist of it? Awesome, let's get started! If not, it takes more time to teach the applicant how to do those things and it only puts me further behind. I'd be much more confortable with someone who at least knows the basics and has tangible proof of those skills. When deadlines loom, that's not time I can be a mentor. Now there are plenty of companies that do internships, mentor programs, apprenticeships, or simple assistants so people can learn those skills. Or you can build some skills yourself. When a business is moving, they need people coming that can do the work.

That's a higher level job that requires skills taught through schools and programs. I'm talking about basic, out-in-the-working-world experience. Bottom-end jobs like busboy positions and convenience store cashiers turn people down because of a lack of experience, yet they can't get the experience of being in the working world without these low-level positions. These places train you, you don't go into these jobs already knowing how to be a cashier (though it's considered a plus when applying if you were previously a cashier) and knowing their systems, the way you're expected to know this stuff in the example you provided, Dwaine.

My place doesn't have that issue, at least with the front end operations. Some of the other positions just depend on the scenario we have at the time.

Here's one scenario I remember: The store was looking to hire someone for Bakery who also had experience with cake decoration. I'm trying to remember why the experience was required, it might have been because they were short on experienced help(like a department head) and couldn't easily train anyone to do it. Some people left in a huff after finding that out, although I can understand the frustration(I had this happen once with a temp agency). This doesn't mean they won't train anyone in Bakery, it just meant that certain circumstances at the time would have made a far bigger pain in the butt to try.

Front end operations, which is the Cashier and Service Clerk section, doesn't have this problem when we need to hire someone. This is mainly due to there being enough help overall for training.

Edited by Stepchan

And that is the biggest problem, and it needs to end.

That's just...

OK, look at it this way. I work. A lot. My tasks are very time consuming, I have many of them, and there are only so many hours in a day. Say I need to hire someone to handle scanning and assembling images. My applicants are interested in the work, but don't really know how to scan or Photoshop basics. Know the gist of it? Awesome, let's get started! If not, it takes more time to teach the applicant how to do those things and it only puts me further behind. I'd be much more confortable with someone who at least knows the basics and has tangible proof of those skills. When deadlines loom, that's not time I can be a mentor. Now there are plenty of companies that do internships, mentor programs, apprenticeships, or simple assistants so people can learn those skills. Or you can build some skills yourself. When a business is moving, they need people coming that can do the work.

I agree with Dwaine's assessment.  I've hired many people who boasted about their skills on their resume only to find they don't know what they're doing and don't have the technical aptitude, once they start.  However, back in 2001, I was unemployed for 7 months after graduating college, and trying to find entry level work in web development.  I eventually had to settle for "a" job, as opposed to the job I wanted.  My career path went in a different direction and I've been in digital commercial operations for over 10 years.

And the job I got started in was data entry, which sounds terrible to from an idealistic perspective, and someone who is new to the job market, but it is a means to an end with paying your bills and allowing you to focus on a potential career elsewhere, or branching out into other departments within the company where you start.

I know the struggle well, though, so good luck Erdrick and everyone else here who find themselves in similar situations.

That's a higher level job that requires skills taught through schools and programs. I'm talking about basic, out-in-the-working-world experience. Bottom-end jobs like busboy positions and convenience store cashiers turn people down because of a lack of experience, yet they can't get the experience of being in the working world without these low-level positions. These places train you, you don't go into these jobs already knowing how to be a cashier (though it's considered a plus when applying if you were previously a cashier) and knowing their systems, the way you're expected to know this stuff in the example you provided, Dwaine.

There is an obvious paradox with entry level hiring, but it's a competitive job market.  Eventually a company will hire, but set your expectations to hear "No" 100 times before you hear "Yes."

All this talk about not finding work makes me feel lucky that I was able to get hired so quickly. I guess it helps to know a guy.

Edit: The heart game was cancelled. I'm disappointed. I was hoping to get some hearts like Link.

Edited by Democrobot

When I was but a fresh-faced young high schooler I had been looking for a job for 2 years and never even got to the interview portion. The only place that would hire me without experience was the literal bottom of the barrel: a fast food chain. They didn't even give me a proper interview. I handed in my resume, called a few days later to ask if they looked at it, was brought in and signed all the paperwork, and viola. I had to suffer through that for a year, but I can say the experience I gained there helped me get jobs at other places much easier.