Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

Wait, Patton Oswalt and Wil Wheaton are douches in real life (or at least in social media)?  Someone explain, I'm curious about that...

Anyway, two finals down, two more to go on Thursday.

I'm so checked out. Stayed up late last night and woke up early just to beat DQIII. Fun. School is in its final week. Doing easy stuff, no homework this week. Grades and report card comments all due tomorrow, but it's all been done. Sliding into an easy next 2 weeks off!

I wouldn't say Wil Wheaton is a douche in real life. As a matter of fact, I quite like that video of him at a convention answering a little girl's question about how to respond to a bully. It came off as genuine, articulate, and he pretty much nailed what a bully is. But he just seems to come off as a bit of a douche in whatever work he appears in. He seemed way too smug in his dumb SyFy Channel Tosh.0 rip-off as a recent example.

He's basically the male equivalent of Felicia Day, a mascot for nerds and geeks, except not as, you know, funny or charming or interesting or even as talented as her.

Yeah, that was a nice video. Recently, though... eh. That's why I stay off the Twitters and Tumblrs. I've seen way too many people go down because of it.

Speaking of stand-ups, man, if you watch one or two specials on Netflix, that's going to be allllll the service will display for you and there's nothing else you can watch to kick it out! No Netflix, I don't want to watch Bill Burr. I will never want to watch Bill Burr.

I was able to pick up my PS3 today. The YLOD was fixed, but now there's something wrong with the disk drive. I think it's just a physical misalignment of the mechanics inside the drive, this probably happened when I took it apart to remove my friend's copy of CoD: Black Ops. (It was his PS3, when he got the YLOD, he bought a new console right away but his disk was stuck in the drive. He told me I could keep the system if I got the disk out, otherwise his parents were going to throw it in the trash.) I screwed around with it a bit tonight but couldn't get it to (physically) load a disk. I found a diagram online that shows how to re-align the gears step-by-step, but I'm too tired to keep working on it right now. I'll continue in the morning or after work tomorrow.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I was able to pick up my PS3 today. The YLOD was fixed, but now there's something wrong with the disk drive. I think it's just a physical misalignment of the mechanics inside the drive, this probably happened when I took it apart to remove my friend's copy of CoD: Black Ops. (It was his PS3, when he got the YLOD, he bought a new console right away but his disk was stuck in the drive. He told me I could keep the system if I got the disk out, otherwise his parents were going to throw it in the trash.) I screwed around with it a bit tonight but couldn't get it to (physically) load a disk. I found a diagram online that shows how to re-align the gears step-by-step, but I'm too tired to keep working on it right now. I'll continue in the morning or after work tomorrow.

I had an old PS3 that died because of the YLOD. I tried fixing it using an method I found online but it didn't work. I went to my local Walmart and bought a new one. It's currently sitting in my room. Man, this talk about finals takes me back to my college years. There were a couple of instructors that I like and I even had fun learning in the classroom. I missed those days...

D-d-d-d-doom huh Hm huh doom ow!

Listening to slime morimori music. :D

Things are starting to look up for me. I'm getting clothes tomorrow and possibly a shelter home in the near future.

• Upvote 2

Things are starting to look up for me. I'm getting clothes tomorrow and possibly a shelter home in the near future.

So you're moving out? Or have already moved out?

So... Saw The Hobbit last night.

First lemme tell ya about Houston. Traffic is getting worse. Close to LA level worse. Though during my trips to LA, the nightmare seemed to be contained to the freeways. It's traffic everywhere here. You can't even go the back ways to avoid it anymore. Constant cluster$#!&. 9 out of the 10 problems I encounter on the road are people on their phone. No joke. It's depressing, because so many traffic jams and accidents can be avoided if people would stop being so selfish and stay off their phones. There is major construction on every road in and out of my area for well over a year. Same with other parts around town. This construction won't solve the problems, especially when they decided to make them tollways instead! So that's even more depressing - stupid, selfish people clogging up the roads and stupid, selfish people that want to chop it up and make things worse for everyone just to line their own pockets. Something might be 5-10 miles away, but you've got to leave so early to avoid a slightly less of a cluster$#!&. I hate it.

My friends and I were going meet at their house close to the theater and caravan there. We got stuck in stopped traffic less than a mile from the freeway. So we turned around, went down the toll road, and exited on the street the theater is on. By the way, sweet of the tollway commission to erect more toll booths at exits, many of which are EZ Tag only! Guess what? MORE stopped traffic. Another wreck. Chances are someone on the phone and running a red. Or someone who goes out and sits in the middle of the intersection because the light's green, but traffic in front isn't moving or doesn't have room for their car. Happens all the time! One reason why I tend to drive myself is I become a very unpleasent person to be around when I'm trapped in traffic. When the stopped traffic finally starts moving, it doesn't move much, because the person in front of me is going 30 in a 45 because she's on her phone!

Figured we were going to miss the movie, but we got there and by some miracle were the first ones in the theatre. Our waitress was wonderful. In fact, I wrote the theater to tell them how fantastic she was. The movie was...well... I liked the first two a lot better. It's a two hour long battle. A lot of it blends together.

And now a special message from Martin Freeman to the drivers of Houston, Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcvASfcSxkg

• Upvote 1

I've been couch surfing for the last week (I wouldn't even call it that since I have only stayed at two places so far). Today I got taken to an emergency shelter thingy where I was able to get some clothes, blankets, pillows, sheets, towels, pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, suitcase, shoes, etc. Tonight I have an appointment to see about a shelter home and I also have to look into getting welfare (they have one where I will get paid to go to school so I don't have to drop out, but I'm not too sure what those requirements are)

• Upvote 1

I wish you luck, Demo.

I've been couch surfing for the last week (I wouldn't even call it that since I have only stayed at two places so far). Today I got taken to an emergency shelter thingy where I was able to get some clothes, blankets, pillows, sheets, towels, pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, suitcase, shoes, etc. Tonight I have an appointment to see about a shelter home and I also have to look into getting welfare (they have one where I will get paid to go to school so I don't have to drop out, but I'm not too sure what those requirements are)

I wish you luck, Demo.

Ditto.  Best wishes, man!  It's time for a Christmas miracle for you.

Good luck, Democrobot!

I'll miss the Colbert Report, but I loved what they did to close out the show (the song) before the last commercial break.  I can't wait to watch Stephen on late night once he starts up, but I will miss watching the Report.

Anyway, I'm now on Winter Break till early January (2 full weeks off) and will be getting in PLENTY of game time between work and anything else I have to do.

Oh, and I've sorta made plans with a girl from one of my classes to meet up and hang out in the future, so that's nice. :thumbsup:

I've been invited to a bar crawl out of town with a bunch of my coworkers. I'm not old enough to drink obviously, and I don't want to anyways, but it sounds like most of the places they'll be going will be open to minors. One of my coworkers who's going to be sober the entire time said he'd hang out with me anytime there was a place I couldn't go in. I don't know if I want to be hanging around in a city I don't really know with a bunch of drunk people, but it's a chance to get to know my coworkers a little better. And a lot of them are girls. Pretty girls. (And before someone says something about it - I'm not the kind of person to take advantage of that. Not in a bad way at least - I may take the opportunity to make myself look like a really nice guy, but I certainly wouldn't "do" anything, know what I mean?) Oh, and our bosses are paying for transportation, so...

Anyways, I haven't made up my mind if I want to go yet.

@Yangus I'm not sure what to think about moving him to the Late Show. Part of his appeal is his character, which won't carry over. I hear most of his writing staff will carry over but I don't know how strong a transition that will be. Colbert fulfills a very niche role in late night television and he was basically taken away to do what any other charismatic host can do. Nobody will ever be able to successfully imitate what Colbert did the same way. They should have just done the sensible thing and moved Craig Ferguson to Late Night. He's definitely earned the spot.

@Erdrick They invited a minor for a night of drinking? That's odd. My drinking age friends wouldn't invite me over to their places if they knew they were going to spend all night getting drunk. I can't imagine you'd have a good time with a group of drunks, whose thinking will be impaired well past the point you can carry a good conversation with them. They'll be operating on an entirely different wavelength as you all night.

@Democrobot...buddy, best of luck to you.  I'll pray things work out in your favour.  Take care buddy, and you know we're here for emotional/buddy support.

@Eal/Yangus...was never much of a fan of Colbert.  I thought it was funny he made fun of Bill O'Reilly, and that Bill was a pretty good sport about it.  I thought his shtick was certainly unique (though I do rather miss the very old days of Steven versus Stephen on the Daily Show...ah the old daily show days just after Stewart took over).  I think he'll be a better host than Letterman, mostly because he's less prickly and a better writer.

@Dwaine...I hear all of Texas is becoming a nightmare, but the very notion of toll booths is insane.  It's what killed the Jersey turnpike, and it just causes traffic jams and more trouble.  There are better ways of funding roads, like not spending excessive amounts of state funds on stupid projects like helping out the largest local political donors!  Boo cronyism.

@Erdrick...careful about that, I've been there, done that.  It could mean some of them like you, but if you become the standard chauffeur, because they trust you that much, that's all you become.  It's fine to hang out, just make sure you're not going to eventually be used.  I'm less concerned with your taking advantage (seriously, I have a hard time envisioning anything remotely close to that personality type), and more that YOU will be the one used.  Anyhow, just relax, have fun, and assuming they don't get wasted, being around slightly buzzed people isn't too bad (it's only bad if they're drunk off their bloody butts).  For some people it's just a way to loosen up.  If you were asked by girls, and they pay attention to you while you're out, then you know you're liked and maybe one or two have some naughty thoughts about our little Erdrick (hey, I've dated girls 5+ years my senior).

Me, saw my sister.  Had some family time.  Monday I'm going to go visit her and we're going to watch the third Hobbit movie.

• Upvote 1

Went from having most of my Christmas shopping done to up $#!& creek without a paddle. I got something for a sibling under my folks' recommendation that was supposed to go with something they had. They waited until just tonight to clarify with him that I, in fact, have the right item (without letting on what I was getting him, of course) and I found out what I got him isn't compatible. So, now I have to try to return it without the receipt AND find a new gift. If I can't I just wasted what precious little money I have for something that I will literally never have any use for.

I'm giving him my old Wii at some point but no one wants to tell me if he wants it shipped to his place or just give it to him as a gift and they don't seem to be able to wrap their heads around how crucial it is that I know because it would certainly help to know so I could get him some games or something to go along with it. Wouldn't make sense to give him games or controllers and then the Wii itself a month later. I wish I could ask but I don't have his contact info (long story). I already missed the boat on getting him some Wii Pro Controllers online before Christmas that I'm sure he would have liked since he will probably just get Virtual Console games.

And on top of that, I had been eyeing a gift for my friend for a while now but was too broke to afford it. Today, I went to get it, and of course, it's not there anymore. It's a game that came out a year ago and I'm sure I could find a copy at Gamestop, but I don't want to buy what is sure to be an opened display copy with an impossible-to-remove sticker on it displaying how much I spent on it. I also don't want to go on a wild goose chase to every store that sells electronics. Worse yet, tomorrow's about the only opportunity I have to get it since we'll be exchanging gifts this weekend. This means I can't even get it online without having to pay a ridiculous fee to get it a day or two from now.

It might not seem like a big deal to you guys but I'm sure we can all agree that the shopping experience itself is vomit-inducing and everyone has their own shopping stories to tell.

The worst part about it was I was sitting pretty just a few hours ago and now I need to find new gifts for people in a time crunch.

• Upvote 1

Found out I've got to use my time off from work before the year ends or I lose it, which amounts to about four extra days I get out of work around the holidays. We had an auditor that I had to work with, so that may explain why they decided to tell me now, after he's come and gone, instead of earlier. Oh, well. Guess that means extra time for Smash and writing.

Best of luck to you, Democrobot. Hope it all works out.

@Dwaine...I hear all of Texas is becoming a nightmare, but the very notion of toll booths is insane.  It's what killed the Jersey turnpike, and it just causes traffic jams and more trouble.  There are better ways of funding roads, like not spending excessive amounts of state funds on stupid projects like helping out the largest local political donors!  Boo cronyism.

And it's going to get worse. Last night I read a story in regards to my area that the township wants to work with the Department of Transportation to find "solutions" to I-45 and the solution is to tear everything up with more pointless, endless construction. Let me tell you a couple of stories.

In October of 2013, they were supposed add a lane to a one mile stretch of  the main road. It was only supposed to take a month. They still haven't finished it. They went with the lowest bid and these contractors did nothing but $#!& around. A crew of 50+ people and I'd see maybe five of them work. My favorite part was a low spot that collected water every time it rained. They put the drainage grate BESIDE the low point. It was doing this for months. They knew damn well where it needed to go and they still wasted time and resources putting in a useless grate that, of course, had to be torn up and moved. Back in February people started to realize that it was taking too long. The contractor - "It's their fault!" TxDOT - "It's their fault!" Township - "It's their fault!" I don't care whose fault it is... FINISH THE $#!&ING JOB! The contractor was eventually fired. Millions of dollars wasted. Now there's another contractor working on it, who I'm sure was the lowest bid and uses unskilled workers. It's shameful, not only to gloriously $#!& up something so simple, but all the wastfulness and childish finger pointing.

There's another part of town that had an extensive remodel. Took over a year. Did they add any lanes? No. Did they add any lights? No. Was the road in bad shape? No. Actually, now it's worse in some spots. All that construction, time, effort, resources, wasted on nothing.

For nearly two years there has been construction on a flyover bridge from the freeway to another main road in the area - 242. There's a college, high school, a Wal-Mart, a hospital, and other assorted restaurants. General traffic really wasn't that bad. It was a 55 MPH street. Traffic moved along nicely until they started putting in lights everywhere. Out of all the lights, there are only two or three intersections where they're necessary. Since they're not synced, that's what backs everything up. The bridge was meant to serve the college. That college has been there for 20 years and has never been difficult to access. Building the bridge had disrupted more traffic not only on 242, but I-45 1-2 exits in both directions. Recently they announced that it's going to be a toll bridge. So not only will it significantly back up traffic on I-45 where it never did before, it's going to back it up even worse on the feeder and 242. That's the most depressing part about it. This wasn't done to make things easier to get around. This wasn't done to improve anyone's lives. This was done to line someone's pockets and everyone's going to suffer for it. Maybe they'll realize it when they or someone in their family needs help and there's no way to get to St. Lukes or Memorial Hermann in time.

The shelter is full, but I did get a number and address for this other place that may be able to help. I'll see what happens. I also got a delivery of my own stuff from my dad yesterday.

I did horrible on my Physics test yesterday. Mostly stupid mistakes, but the Rutherford experiment cost me 7 marks.

Edit: I actually did better than I thought on that test. The mark on it was wrong. I did 23% better than I thought

Edited by Democrobot

Just sent a message via Facebook the girl I mentioned a few posts back.  While I'd like to plan out possibly meeting up over break, I don't want to "jump the shark" as it were, so it's baby steps for now.  Fingers crossed I'll get something planned out with her!