What's New With You?

Speaking of North Carolina...

The family and I are headed up there this week. Usually when we go, my parents have already been there a few weeks as they stay for 4-5 months in their house there every summer & autumn. My grandmother hasn't been doing well and she's transitioning from 94 years of living on her own to a nursing facility likely next week. So when we head up, it'll just be the immediate family for a week or so. Could be a great time for gaming! The last couple times this happened I beat Dragon Quest Builders completely in about 11 days and then most of Bravely Default 2 was up there. We go hiking a lot and then drive back, I get an afternoon nap and the kids are beat, go to bed early and I'm up all night gaming.

20 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

100% agree. Before I got married in 2013, I'd had 4-5 good week-long trips up to my parents place in North Carolina and while I didn't camp, I'd go for 5-8 hour hikes alone a ton! A backpack, food, maps, camera, and sometimes my DS. Alone in nature is amazing. My favorite place was this huge valley wirh maybe 20ish miles of trails, and about 20 cars worth of people total ever there at once. I could hike to half a dozen waterfalls a day and barely run into anyone. Eating lunch out in the sun on bare rock on a cool March day with a river trickling past. So silent, so nice. Eating wild blueberries off of bushes in late June at the top of tallest rise overlooking the valley. Special. emoji7.png

Yep! Nothing else like it!

• 2 weeks later...

Family and I took the new camp trailer out for a one nighter on Friday night. It was everything we wanted and more. It ended up being a 106 degree day, and the AC worked like a charm. Can’t wait to go out again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been a wild 3-4 weeks. Two out-of-town trips, kid was hospitalized with a severe case of croup, and I just finished working 20 hours of mandated overtime. one day off and I’m back to 11 hour shifts. 

I am ready for a little bit of rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bururian said:

You definitely deserve it after all of this, my dude

Thanks!

I’ve come to realize life’s hurdles tend to come in waves, this one’ll pass. Many people have it worse than I do, so I can’t complain too much. 

20 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Thanks!

I’ve come to realize life’s hurdles tend to come in waves, this one’ll pass. Many people have it worse than I do, so I can’t complain too much. 

While this is true, you're a person too.

• Like 1

It’s been a wild 3-4 weeks. Two out-of-town trips, kid was hospitalized with a severe case of croup, and I just finished working 20 hours of mandated overtime. one day off and I’m back to 11 hour shifts. 

I am ready for a little bit of rest.
And here I was going to complain about too much vacation. We went away for 23 days which included 3 days with some of my wife's family, 3 days kid-free alone drinking around Asheville, and 5-6 days of big Platty-side family reunion. We were starting to get frustrated with family that kept posting online about all these suggestions they wanted for things to do up in the mountains (and then never joined us as we actually did them), but reminded ourselves that we've grown used to that over the years with when my sister and family are up there with us. We just started texting plans and times to family & didn't give a flying F if they backed out. We went and had fun!

Still, 23 days is a long time. Got 1 day "off" yesterday to mow the jungle yard and unpack and such, one day "off" today to go to work and spend 4 hours setting back up for camp.

Back to work tomorrow. 3 weeks of camp, a 4-day weekend and then school already begins!
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

And here I was going to complain about too much vacation. We went away for 23 days which included 3 days with some of my wife's family, 3 days kid-free alone drinking around Asheville, and 5-6 days of big Platty-side family reunion. We were starting to get frustrated with family that kept posting online about all these suggestions they wanted for things to do up in the mountains (and then never joined us as we actually did them), but reminded ourselves that we've grown used to that over the years with when my sister and family are up there with us. We just started texting plans and times to family & didn't give a flying F if they backed out. We went and had fun!

Still, 23 days is a long time. Got 1 day "off" yesterday to mow the jungle yard and unpack and such, one day "off" today to go to work and spend 4 hours setting back up for camp.

Back to work tomorrow. 3 weeks of camp, a 4-day weekend and then school already begins!

Hahaha! Sounds like a blast, though I know that sometimes vacations can feel like work by the end. 

All in all though, sounds like a badass time! Happy for you!

• Like 1

I have been busy with my social life pretty much returning to normal. I have been catching up with a lot of friends that I haven't seen in over a year.

Ended up building a new PC last week. Everything went well. Though it was a nightmare getting the dumb RGB lights hooked up. Now that I have a better PC, I am going to be leaning more on PC games for a while that I need to catch up on.

• 2 weeks later...

Took our new trailer out for it’s second trip and loved it! Didn’t get any gaming time out there, I was too busy chasing my 16 month old around. Had tons of fun though.

• Like 1

Been back at work doing camp for a couple weeks. Looks like a small Covid quarantine is going to screw me out of a couple hundred dollars next week as a pair of students won't be able to come to my camp due to contact at another one. Oh well. 11 days until we go back to school for real.

• Like 1

The other day I finally defeated Zoma and earned my username.

Just VI, VIII, and the expansions for X left!

Oh, and XI's post game.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 11:03 AM, Erdrick The Hero said:

The other day I finally defeated Zoma and earned my username.

Just VI, VIII, and the expansions for X left!

Oh, and XI's post game.

Boom! Congrats!

The post game for XI is amazing. I didn’t complete it until my second playthrough of the game, on the Switch.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:34 PM, cprmauldin said:

Boom! Congrats!

The post game for XI is amazing. I didn’t complete it until my second playthrough of the game, on the Switch.

I've done the second trial several times. It's been a while, but I think I still have a couple wishes left. Then the third trial, then whatever is after that.

Can't remember if I ever finished the Wheel of Harma.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

first time in my life got a pretty decent bump in pay... hard work paying off I guess 🥵

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Fates said:

first time in my life got a pretty decent bump in pay... hard work paying off I guess 🥵

Congrats! That’s awesome to hear! 

Make sure your employer keeps those raises coming 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the zoo with my girlfriend today and while we had a good time looking at the elephants and red pandas, on the way home I had this little itch at the back of my head telling me I should swing by the Walmart that I pass on the way home, but I just couldn’t figure out why I was thinking it.

Then I remembered we have a storm coming! Hurricane Henri, and we should be getting decent wind and rain in my area. I don’t have candles, a flashlight, or even a lighter. I also basically emptied my kitchen of canned foods when the food pantry came by my work a couple days ago. I don’t care about a power outage all that much, I’m more concerned about the winds doing severe damage to my apartment. It’s an old building, and if I’m being honest, not much of a technical marvel in terms of construction. I’ll have to go out an hour before Walmart closes to avoid crowds, even if there won’t be much left to go around in terms of supplies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Quite literally all I see. emoji106.pngemoji106.png

Congrats on dating during a pandemic! That couldn't have been easy.

lol thanks! Now that everything is opening up again we can do more stuff now, but for the last few months it’s mostly just been restaurants. The only thing you can really do in the summer is take a day trip or something out to the Cape (but good luck planning one of those with every place booked) or visit a beach. There will be more to do in Fall. There’s a lot of Halloween activities in the area.

As for the storm, we didn’t get it. The day of, the storm’s path shifted to pretty much miss us. Just some rain in the morning and that was it. All that stressing for nothing haha.

lol thanks! Now that everything is opening up again we can do more stuff now, but for the last few months it’s mostly just been restaurants. The only thing you can really do in the summer is take a day trip or something out to the Cape (but good luck planning one of those with every place booked) or visit a beach. There will be more to do in Fall. There’s a lot of Halloween activities in the area.
As for the storm, we didn’t get it. The day of, the storm’s path shifted to pretty much miss us. Just some rain in the morning and that was it. All that stressing for nothing haha.
Since we're discussing romance...

Watched Netflix's He's All That movie today. It's the updated, gendered flipped version of the Freddie Prince & Rachel Leigh Cook movie from '99. They even had Rachel Leigh Cook back as the protagonist's mom & Matthew Lillard back as the principal. Only a small nod to the first movie when that movie's theme song played at prom & Cook mentioned knowing it. But what cracked me up immediately was the movie opened with Electric by Katy Perry. WTF. That's so ingrained with Pokémon, so out of place.

Life goes on. I’ve grown, found new music to listen to, gotten my hair cut, broke into the stock market and became a multi-millionaire but lost it all because of a sneaky leprechaun….

You know, the usual.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice weekend.  I got talked into coaching my oldest son's soccer team despite me knowing little to nothing about the sport.  It ended up OK as another clueless dad joined up and despite our practice being kinda lame, we kicked ass in the game.  My son got a hat trick and two others scored twice for a 7-2 win.

Of course to keep me humble, I did 3 loads of laundry the next day... without detergent. 🥵 So had to do them all again, lasting all evening/night.