• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YangustheLegendaryBandit

• eal

• Democrobot

• Plattym3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On my way home I spotted three big dogs. They'd gotten out of their yard and were going on a grand adventure. Didn't want them to get lost or hurt, so I corralled them at a park and loaded them into m

Got good news this morning! Thank goodness! That’s a huge sigh of relief.

Happy Halloween everyone. Went to a small costume party dressed as Yoda and won a prize too. As tradition, I have to enjoy something Edgar Allen Poe related and wanted to share it here. Hope ever

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Of course. 3c8f9fba9200dda3af6aa78927a2b441.jpg

For the record, I never beat Jurassic Park on the Super Nintendo. I tried a lot, but always got stuck at "You need Dennis Nedry's key card"

I hate him almost as much as Jerry does

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Of course. 3c8f9fba9200dda3af6aa78927a2b441.jpg

Newman is just like Prince Charmles: he’s a misunderstood character everyone hates.

My kids are likely not sports stars. Don't claim they ever will be and after babysitting kids who were all-star worthy softball players a long time ago and seeing how their summer went, I hope they never are haha. But, as a teacher I'm stressed to my kids 3 things all teachers wish of their kids:
1. Shut up
2. Listen
3. Be nice

Those are the best kids.

It paid off big time in their first day of competitive soccer today. They'd played baseball/T-ball for years with my wife and I coaching them, but today we switched to soccer and were just regular parents in the stands.

Plattym5 is 4 and on a team with kids mainly younger than himself. He's been excited all week to listen to new coaches and do what he was told. His team won 5-0 and he scored 3 times and nailed the bar another time. Most other kids were busy crying or chasing dragonflies. Focus prevailed!

Plattym4 has been the strong-armed baseball player who I dread pitching to (he smacks line drives at my head too often). I've wanted him in soccer for years, but my wife loves baseball, so that's what we played. Today he started soccer, and after a quarter of playing stalwart defense the coach put him center forward and left him there the rest of the game. Because his ADHD goalie was too busy scoring own-goals and running out of the box after his team got creamed, but I was actually surprised how much he listened and did exactly what the coach said. He was breaking free up and down the field while 9 other kids just clumped together. Didn't score because he can't turn those corners or slow down yet, but damn. He got game MVP despite being quite upset after. I reminded him he listened to coaching yelling "spread out, don't clump together" and therefore found open space all over. Afterwards he told me soccer was WAY more fun than baseball. Mom was too busy with a garage sale to hear that today haha, we'll see what the future brings.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

My kids are likely not sports stars. Don't claim they ever will be and after babysitting kids who were all-star worthy softball players a long time ago and seeing how their summer went, I hope they never are haha. But, as a teacher I'm stressed to my kids 3 things all teachers wish of their kids:
1. Shut up
2. Listen
3. Be nice

Those are the best kids.

It paid off big time in their first day of competitive soccer today. They'd played baseball/T-ball for years with my wife and I coaching them, but today we switched to soccer and were just regular parents in the stands.

Plattym5 is 4 and on a team with kids mainly younger than himself. He's been excited all week to listen to new coaches and do what he was told. His team won 5-0 and he scored 3 times and nailed the bar another time. Most other kids were busy crying or chasing dragonflies. Focus prevailed! emoji23.png

Plattym4 has been the strong-armed baseball player who I dread pitching to (he smacks line drives at my head too often). I've wanted him in soccer for years, but my wife loves baseball, so that's what we played. Today he started soccer, and after a quarter of playing stalwart defense the coach put him center forward and left him there the rest of the game. Because his ADHD goalie was too busy scoring own-goals and running out of the box after emoji2369.png his team got creamed, but I was actually surprised how much he listened and did exactly what the coach said. He was breaking free up and down the field while 9 other kids just clumped together. Didn't score because he can't turn those corners or slow down yet, but damn. He got game MVP despite being quite upset after. I reminded him he listened to coaching yelling "spread out, don't clump together" and therefore found open space all over. Afterwards he told me soccer was WAY more fun than baseball. Mom was too busy with a garage sale to hear that today haha, we'll see what the future brings. emoji848.png

You’d be surprised, kids just need to find the right sport. I did soccer for 6 years because my dad was a coach, and I only scored a single goal that entire time. I was a decent hitter and runner when I played baseball, but I couldn’t catch or throw to save my life. I had the stamina for basketball that I couldn’t muster for soccer, but the team I was on lost every game and I struggled to make shots even though I could get the ball across the court no problem. 

However, I had a talent for karate. The only thing that held me back was I didn’t have the ability to go two times a week so I learned twice as slowly as everyone else and didn’t have the time for new concepts to stick as well as they could if I went more than once a week. I had the talent and skills just not the time, especially now. I went for 10 years but had to stop once I started working full-time and moved too far away from the karate studio.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eal said:

You’d be surprised, kids just need to find the right sport. I did soccer for 6 years because my dad was a coach, and I only scored a single goal that entire time. I was a decent hitter and runner when I played baseball, but I couldn’t catch or throw to save my life. I had the stamina for basketball that I couldn’t muster for soccer, but the team I was on lost every game and I struggled to make shots even though I could get the ball across the court no problem. 

However, I had a talent for karate. The only thing that held me back was I didn’t have the ability to go two times a week so I learned twice as slowly as everyone else and didn’t have the time for new concepts to stick as well as they could if I went more than once a week. I had the talent and skills just not the time, especially now. I went for 10 years but had to stop once I started working full-time and moved too far away from the karate studio.

Same for me. I got decent at softball and basketball. Enough to get play time in pick-up games, or if there were two or three local leagues.

I took gymnastics when I was little. Roller bladed ALL the time in my school days, and I learned I could break dance in 9th grade.

The thing that stuck for me was martial arts. The early gymnastics, constant roller blading (we had a limbo contest every week at the roller rink, where I would warm up by doing the splits), and the breakdancing all kept me flexible. The first thing I learned was how to fall, which is important for acrobatics.

I'll be 33 in November, and I can still do the splits. My strength and stamina still need work, though. Sometimes its not traditional sports that people excel at. I'm good at badminton, and I suck at frisbee. You never really know exactly what skill set people might have a knack for, or a dedication to.

You never know who a good coach will be either. Chad Curtis was helping me with softball. I got decent playing outfield and infield, but my swing was terrible. It was some random guy who helped me with my swing (the power comes from the hips, which I should have realized after Tae Kwon Do).

Edited by Wes

Tonight is the start of the Pokemon Player's Cup 2 qualifiers. Check out my Twitch to watch live starting at 6MDT

• Like 1
On 9/25/2020 at 6:01 AM, Plattym3 said:
On 9/24/2020 at 2:37 PM, Democrobot said:
Tonight is the start of the Pokemon Player's Cup 2 qualifiers. Check out my Twitch to watch live starting at 6MDT

How'd you do?

Currently 1577 globally. Won't know my NA results for a few days yet. I need top 256 though so it might be close

• Like 1

The only election worth following right now is the company election for the photos in our yearly calendar. It’s a tight race in terms of votes. One of my co-workers is leading in one category and I’m nearing second in another, which is a guaranteed spot in the calendar. 

Edited by eal
  • Like 1
The only election worth following right now is the company election for the photos in our yearly calendar. It’s a tight race in terms of votes. One of my co-workers is leading in one category and I’m nearing second in another, which is a guaranteed spot in the calendar. 
We had this thing in high school where we did "calendar couple". Basically people collected as much money (to donate to the yearbook) as they could and whoever got the most (male & female) were the calendar couple. Then the next 12 highest in order were Mr. & Mrs. January, February,... December.

I was the newspaper editor at school and part of Yearbook staff too. Once I found out only 12 males had entered, I put my name in and collected all of $5, which I promptly donated to others so I'd stay Mr. December & have a decent theme to dress for. Who the hell wants to be Mr. September or November? Boring.
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

We had this thing in high school where we did "calendar couple". Basically people collected as much money (to donate to the yearbook) as they could and whoever got the most (male & female) were the calendar couple. Then the next 12 highest in order were Mr. & Mrs. January, February,... December.

I was the newspaper editor at school and part of Yearbook staff too. Once I found out only 12 males had entered, I put my name in and collected all of $5, which I promptly donated to others so I'd stay Mr. December & have a decent theme to dress for. Who the hell wants to be Mr. September or November? Boring.

There’s nothing boring about being Mr. September! You have a whole Earth, Wind, and Fire tune to use as your theme song. But it sounds like you’d sooner use a Green Day song to describe September.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eal said:

There’s nothing boring about being Mr. September! You have a whole Earth, Wind, and Fire tune to use as your theme song. But it sounds like you’d sooner use a Green Day song to describe September.

That's an October song. October 1st is when you wake Green Day up

• Like 1

So...Steve from Minecraft making it into Smash Ultimate has been an interesting ride the past two days. People are certainly upset about it. I’m actually surprised Minecraft is actually going to be in Smash at all, but if I’m being honest, I think the character looks interesting. Watching the reveal I felt that same kind of excitement I got from seeing Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Min-Min getting announced.

Now, Minecraft is a game I’ve never played nor have any desire to, but after playing stuff like Dragon Quest Builders I see the appeal of building games. I know I’ve probably put more thought into building the towns in DQ Builders 1 especially, so having a character from the game that essentially got that ball rolling for that genre makes sense. It’s a game that a generation of kids and/or teens grew up playing, and while we all know the jokes about how cringe or obnoxious Minecraft videos can be (Dedicated wham, anyone?), it being added to Smash does make total sense. I’m not defending it or trying to reason it’s inclusion, just giving my two cents.

Why I’m excited in particular is the moveset the character has. From the looks of it, it’s a very unique set of skills, and one that seems to encompass a lot about Minecraft and what you can do in it. It gives me a Mr. Game & Watch moveset vibe, where the animations from those various titles are essentially put together in one representing character.

So, as a long time Smash fan, I welcome the inclusion. The character seems like he (and his alts) will be fun, so I’m all for giving it a shot. I mean, characters like Byleth didn’t get me personally excited, but I still enjoy what the character brought to the game with their abilities.

Apologies if this isn’t the right topic for this, but hey, when do we care about staying on topic, right? 🤣

Before going to work today I managed to watch the Steve presentation for Smash Ultimate. Dang, he actually has a pretty impressive moveset. Seeing it fully explained was interesting, and I like the idea of him being a resource type character. His standard special move (or B button attack) being vastly different depending on the position is probably the most interesting thing about the moveset, and I’m glad there’s a way to move the crafting table as necessary. Not gonna lie, the full rundown on the character, stage, and music has me excited. It’s definitely looking like a lot of work went into making Steve work within Smash.

Steve and the Minecraft content will launch on October 13th, so we still have over a week. I have the 13th off for holiday pay, so I’m glad I’ll be able to give it all a try right away.

Also, super glad to hear about the Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Byleth amiibos are coming early next year. Banjo & Kazooie’s amiibo looks SO GOOOOOOOOOOD. A Golden Jiggy being part of the amiibo is a great touch.

I can't say that I am hyped for Steve. But his moveset looks pretty fun. So kudos on having more interesting gameplay styles with the DLC.

I mentioned this before. But as with previous DLC. I am enjoying the drama more then the DLC itself.

22 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I mentioned this before. But as with previous DLC. I am enjoying the drama more then the DLC itself.

I think Steve is getting more backlash than Byleth, which I didn’t think was going to happen. I get why Steve (and Minecraft content) wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but hoo boy...it’s been a very interesting past few days!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I think Steve is getting more backlash than Byleth, which I didn’t think was going to happen. I get why Steve (and Minecraft content) wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but hoo boy...it’s been a very interesting past few days!

I’ll buy him if his final smash is him performing a cringey Minecraft music video.

• Like 1
On 10/3/2020 at 10:53 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, and here I was thinking that the Byleth drama was bad.

I loved it when Terry got announced. "Who the hell is Terry, he isn't relevant!". As if Fatal Fury and SNK were somehow not relevant in gaming history. Goes to show that a lot of people who play Smash don't even like fighting games. Let alone know much about them. Or arcade games for that matter. I will never forget the guy on Reddit who commented an essay on how he has never heard of Terry and why he wasn't part of gaming history.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Steve in Smash. Was cool but not my style.

Got another tournament this weekend. Battle of Legends IC for Pokemon Sword/Shield. Should be fun. watch my stream please

Been sick the last few days but getting better. Over the Thanksgiving weekend I entered Salt Mines MSS for Pokemon Sword/Shield. Made 4th place provincially. Was cool.

• Like 1