Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Thank you! She had her first ultrasound today and they think she may be 9 weeks. Thankfully there's only one lol! She's a twin so everyone has been joking that we'll have twins. I wasn't able to go because of COVID so I'm pretty upset I wasn't there for such a big moment.

Somehow I missed this in your other post. Congrats!

10 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Somehow I missed this in your other post. Congrats!

Thank you! I left it until the end for a bit of a comedic effect.

17 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Thank you! She had her first ultrasound today and they think she may be 9 weeks. Thankfully there's only one lol! She's a twin so everyone has been joking that we'll have twins. I wasn't able to go because of COVID so I'm pretty upset I wasn't there for such a big moment.

Aww man! 

Yeah, a week after mine was born, they stopped letting ANYONE in labor and delivery. Meaning women were basically stuck giving birth by themselves. 

I'm not sure if that policy is still in place...

Aww man! 

Yeah, a week after mine was born, they stopped letting ANYONE in labor and delivery. Meaning women were basically stuck giving birth by themselves. 

Different rules in different places I guess. Thought that'd be the case, but we watched 3 kids in early April for a full week while my wife's BFF gave birth to #4, and her hubby (unfortunately, because we got stuck with the kids) was allowed there for everything and stayed for the week.

12 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
18 hours ago, cprmauldin said:
Aww man! 

Different rules in different places I guess. Thought that'd be the case, but we watched 3 kids in early April for a full week while my wife's BFF gave birth to #4, and her hubby (unfortunately, because we got stuck with the kids) was allowed there for everything and stayed for the week.

A  WEEK?!

We were in the hospital like 36 hours XD

A  WEEK?!

Don't get me started. The baby is fine. Mom was fine. Don't really know WTF went on, tiny tests, but we got stuck with a household of 5 for a long ass time.

I think we were only in there for a few days. Labor itself only took like 7 hours.

On 6/5/2020 at 8:07 AM, Plattym3 said:
On 6/5/2020 at 7:22 AM, cprmauldin said:
A  WEEK?!

Don't get me started. The baby is fine. Mom was fine. Don't really know WTF went on, tiny tests, but we got stuck with a household of 5 for a long ass time.

Hahaha. 

Well it's over now, yes?

Lets be happy about that!!

• Like 1

Since we haven't watched TV news for a decade, our young kids have no clue what's going on in the world right now. They know there's some sickness that's mainly keeping us at home, but that's it. Thanks to the aforementioned sickness I have free access to a kids' book database of 10,000 books, so we've decided to read as many books starring minorities this month before that app goes away at the end of June.

Of course then this morning I was watching the end of a certain series that ends with a gay male wedding. My oldest was yelling about the kissing (to be fair he sees all kisses coming in all movies and runs away screaming ) guys and it was a great teachable moment. Made sure to explain that love is love, period. Then pointed out that their Aunt Kathy and Aunt Marie are married to each other. And then pulled the magnet off the fridge to show the save the date to our male friends' wedding to each other later this year. They took it well and were more annoyed by which grandparents would be watching them when we went to the wedding!

• Like 2

Finally got a JP 3ds. The DQM2 remake one.

........ but because of the lithium battery, DHL would not transport it. And with coronavirus, the only option was Surface Mail :baa:

• Like 1

I kept hearing about how no one would shop at comic book stores anymore once they reopened. This was the first week my LCS was open that Marvel books were on the stand and it was packed. And I guess you could chalk it up to reduced orders but a number of books were totally sold out that aren’t normally. The only book that was in surplus was Batman #92 but DC was pushing that as a big collector’s item for months and the two stores closest to me had piles of them.

On 6/8/2020 at 4:00 PM, Plattym3 said:

Since we haven't watched TV news for a decade, our young kids have no clue what's going on in the world right now. They know there's some sickness that's mainly keeping us at home, but that's it. Thanks to the aforementioned sickness I have free access to a kids' book database of 10,000 books, so we've decided to read as many books starring minorities this month before that app goes away at the end of June.

Of course then this morning I was watching the end of a certain series that ends with a gay male wedding. My oldest was yelling about the kissing (to be fair he sees all kisses coming in all movies and runs away screaming emoji12.png) guys and it was a great teachable moment. Made sure to explain that love is love, period. Then pointed out that their Aunt Kathy and Aunt Marie are married to each other. And then pulled the magnet off the fridge to show the save the date to our male friends' wedding to each other later this year. They took it well and were more annoyed by which grandparents would be watching them when we went to the wedding! emoji1787.png

Awwww. What an awesome moment!

Yeah, my little guy is growing up around Uncle Jay and his husband, Uncle Mike, so I don't think he will ever even know or care about who loves who :)

Congrats to @Sackchief for making it to the front page for a Google search of "Dragon Quest".Screenshot_20200617-220446.thumb.png.b2e6a16828d43eeabb95b095b9e90d72.png

15 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Congrats to @Sackchief for making it to the front page for a Google search of "Dragon Quest".imageproxy.php?img=&key=dd96f879ac6fd6e5Screenshot_20200617-220446.thumb.png.b2e6a16828d43eeabb95b095b9e90d72.png

Oh heck yes. I'll be watching this shortly.

Posted (edited)

I'm the kind of person that can't help but point out mistakes in film. I can understand people not liking it, and I won't generally watch TV or movies with those people.

Today I made the mistake of hanging out in the living room with my grandmother while she watched a movie. I pointed something out so she got all butthurt. So, I started to leave the room so she could watch her show. This caused her to start yelling and throwing a f**king hissy fit that I was leaving. I told her why, and she shut off her show and made a big deal about it. I told her to watch the rest of her show (only about 5-10 minutes left) but she threw a tantrum anyway. Now I'm gonna get blamed for making her miss the end of her show but it's her childish behavior that's at fault. She pulls this kind of crap multiple times daily and I can't stand it here anymore. I thought I was done putting up with idiotic drama when my stepmother kicked my sister and I out of our family home after my father's death and stopped being a part of my life.

Separate rant...

Also sounds like my employer might be downsizing... And nobody is hiring but retail. I would rather die than work another retail job. I can't stand being around a bunch of people (ESPECIALLY strangers) and I need more than a part time/minimum wage job. I've been looking for a new job anyway because this one is part time minimum wage (I'm scheduled 40hrs/week but I'm lucky to get half of that), but there just aren't any jobs available for high school graduates that pay enough to be worth having. I can't afford college and even if I could, it would be a waste of money. I don't learn so well in a classroom setting. Everything I know was either simple enough for me to teach myself, or it was taught to me by someone else one on one. In a classroom setting, most teachers don't seem to care whether or not the subject matter is understood by all of their students, they're only there to parrot what they're told to, collect a check, and go home. This was high school. From my short college experience, college professors care even less. Some even seem inclined to ignore you just so you'll fail and have to take/pay for the class again.

I really can't think of a single skill I learned in school. In elementary school I always already knew everything because my parents taught me well before school started, or I had learned on the internet. In middle and especially high school, this was mostly the same, but math suddenly became a different language entirely. Every math teacher might as well have been speaking Swahili because I would come into class, listen, and take notes, but when trying to actually do homework, nothing made sense. My parents usually couldn't help at all and the internet made just about as much sense as my textbooks (read: none). Of course math is the most important subject of required understanding for 90% of all good jobs. But I just barely got enough math credits to graduate high school, and that's with summer school and an boatload of extra credit that didn't actually teach me anything.

For the record, I can do basic arithmetic and algebra. It wasn't until we started working with roots of non-square numbers and imaginary numbers in general that math became completely hopeless. According to my parents, the kind math the school was "teaching" me at that level wasn't even offered as an advanced/honours class when they were in high school. My mom graduated high school with Algebra 1 - the level of math I completed in 8th grade. My parents were unable to help me with my homework throughout high school, and my teachers ignored me in class (on the offchance I wasn't ignored I'd be openly mocked by teachers, in front of the whole class, for asking "stupid" questions).

In high school I wanted to get a math tutor but my parents wouldn't pay for it. "No son of mine needs a tutor, only r****ds need tutors!" is basically how that conversation went. Looking back on it, I don't think he meant the exact words he said; pretty sure he was avoiding saying "we can't afford that". We had a nice house and nice things but I think my dad and stepmother were struggling to keep up with the Joneses. They wouldn't ever, ever, EVER talk about finances around my sister or me. If we overheard something financial we'd get in trouble for eavesdropping, even if it was their fault for talking about it in the same room, or yelling at each other so we could hear from anywhere in the house. This admittedly has lead to my sister and I both being somewhat financially incompetent. I at least had the sense to take a finance class in high school, my sister didn't. She goes around spending money she doesn't have and people keep supporting her. I'm doing my best to be self-sufficient but if I have a problem people just say "deal with it yourself like a man". I lived on the street, still working, for half of last year and nobody gave a f**k, while my sister got to live with my mom, unemployed, sitting on the couch watching TV and stuffing her face all day everyday, and she repeatedly stole money from my mother.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

3 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'm the kind of person that can't help but point out mistakes in film. I can understand people not liking it, and I won't generally watch TV or movies with those people.

Today I made the mistake of hanging out in the living room with my grandmother while she watched a movie. I pointed something out so she got all butthurt. So, I started to leave the room so she could watch her show. This caused her to start yelling and throwing a f**king hissy fit that I was leaving. I told her why, and she shut off her show and made a big deal about it. I told her to watch the rest of her show (only about 5-10 minutes left) but she threw a tantrum anyway. Now I'm gonna get blamed for making her miss the end of her show but it's her childish behavior that's at fault. She pulls this kind of crap multiple times daily and I can't stand it here anymore. I thought I was done putting up with idiotic drama when my stepmother kicked my sister and I out of our family home after my father's death and stopped being a part of my life.

Separate rant...

Also sounds like my employer might be downsizing... And nobody is hiring but retail. I would rather die than work another retail job. I can't stand being around a bunch of people (ESPECIALLY strangers) and I need more than a part time/minimum wage job. I've been looking for a new job anyway because this one is part time minimum wage (I'm scheduled 40hrs/week but I'm lucky to get half of that), but there just aren't any jobs available for high school graduates that pay enough to be worth having. I can't afford college and even if I could, it would be a waste of money. I don't learn so well in a classroom setting. Everything I know was either simple enough for me to teach myself, or it was taught to me by someone else one on one. In a classroom setting, most teachers don't seem to care whether or not the subject matter is understood by all of their students, they're only there to parrot what they're told to, collect a check, and go home. This was high school. From my short college experience, college professors care even less. Some even seem inclined to ignore you just so you'll fail and have to take/pay for the class again.

I really can't think of a single skill I learned in school. In elementary school I always already knew everything because my parents taught me well before school started, or I had learned on the internet. In middle and especially high school, this was mostly the same, but math suddenly became a different language entirely. Every math teacher might as well have been speaking Swahili because I would come into class, listen, and take notes, but when trying to actually do homework, nothing made sense. My parents usually couldn't help at all and the internet made just about as much sense as my textbooks (read: none). Of course math is the most important subject of required understanding for 90% of all good jobs. But I just barely got enough math credits to graduate high school, and that's with summer school and an boatload of extra credit that didn't actually teach me anything.

For the record, I can do basic arithmetic and algebra. It wasn't until we started working with roots of non-square numbers and imaginary numbers in general that math became completely hopeless. According to my parents, the kind math the school was "teaching" me at that level wasn't even offered as an advanced/honours class when they were in high school. My mom graduated high school with Algebra 1 - the level of math I completed in 8th grade. My parents were unable to help me with my homework throughout high school, and my teachers ignored me in class (on the offchance I wasn't ignored I'd be openly mocked by teachers, in front of the whole class, for asking "stupid" questions).

In high school I wanted to get a math tutor but my parents wouldn't pay for it. "No son of mine needs a tutor, only r****ds need tutors!" is basically how that conversation went. Looking back on it, I don't think he meant the exact words he said; pretty sure he was avoiding saying "we can't afford that". We had a nice house and nice things but I think my dad and stepmother were struggling to keep up with the Joneses. They wouldn't ever, ever, EVER talk about finances around my sister or me. If we overheard something financial we'd get in trouble for eavesdropping, even if it was their fault for talking about it in the same room, or yelling at each other so we could hear from anywhere in the house. This admittedly has lead to my sister and I both being somewhat financially incompetent. I at least had the sense to take a finance class in high school, my sister didn't. She goes around spending money she doesn't have and people keep supporting her. I'm doing my best to be self-sufficient but if I have a problem people just say "deal with it yourself like a man". I lived on the street, still working, for half of last year and nobody gave a f**k, while my sister got to live with my mom, unemployed, sitting on the couch watching TV and stuffing her face all day everyday, and she repeatedly stole money from my mother.

I'm sorry. Sounds like you're having a tough time. 

Things will get better so long as you continue to put in effort!

For your own sake though, you may benefit from shifting focus from everything that got you into your situation, to what you can do to improve it. 

I'm not trying to give you a "Pull yourself up from the bootstraps" speech, i'm just saying that taking a tally of everything that went wrong and whose fault it is serves no real purpose in moving forward. 

If you'd like some general tips working your way out of the minimum wage arena, feel free to message me. I'd be happy to give you whatever advice I can.

And good luck!!!!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

I'm sorry. Sounds like you're having a tough time. 

Things will get better so long as you continue to put in effort!

For your own sake though, you may benefit from shifting focus from everything that got you into your situation, to what you can do to improve it. 

I'm not trying to give you a "Pull yourself up from the bootstraps" speech, i'm just saying that taking a tally of everything that went wrong and whose fault it is serves no real purpose in moving forward. 

If you'd like some general tips working your way out of the minimum wage arena, feel free to message me. I'd be happy to give you whatever advice I can.

And good luck!!!!!

I don't mean to be all dramatic and depressive over it, though I realize that's pretty much how it sounds. I've just had an awful day/week and needed to vent. I've recieved even more bad news since posting that - last night, the van I've been borrowing from a friend was broken into. I leave it around the corner at my mom's house because there's no room to park it where I live. Supposedly my mom's boyfriend texted me to let me know this morning, but I never got the message so I didn't find out until 20 minutes before I had to start work.

I do have problems in my life. I am willing to work through them but I don't see any solutions to work towards. What I'm not willing to do is keep running on the hamster wheel of poverty. I'll work this job until I find a better one or I'm laid off, but I'm not willing to accept another minimum wage or part time job. I need a real job, that will not only pay all my bills, but give me a chance to actually do something with my life.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

13 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I don't mean to be all dramatic and depressive over it, though I realize that's pretty much how it sounds. I've just had an awful day/week and needed to vent. I've recieved even more bad news since posting that - last night, the van I've been borrowing from a friend was broken into. I leave it around the corner at my mom's house because there's no room to park it where I live. Supposedly my mom's boyfriend texted me to let me know this morning, but I never got the message so I didn't find out until 20 minutes before I had to start work.

I do have problems in my life. I am willing to work through them but I don't see any solutions to work towards. What I'm not willing to do is keep running on the hamster wheel of poverty. I'll work this job until I find a better one or I'm laid off, but I'm not willing to accept another minimum wage or part time job. I need a real job, that will not only pay all my bills, but give me a chance to actually do something with my life.

What I did, and this might not work for everybody, of course, was I worked those minimum wage jobs for years. I worked in fast food, moved on to retail, got a promotion to the service desk that looked good on my resume, and went into banking, since I had experience in handling cash and being on the lookout for potential fraud.

However, a lot of it was luck. Massachusetts was in the middle of raising its minimum wage a dollar a year by the time I went to retail, and the state plans to reach $15 by 2023 (we’re at $12.75 currently). And I started part time at the place I’m currently working, but quickly moved to full-time when a co-worker retired. That might sound like just a stroke of luck but promotions are generally only available after someone leaves, which was also the case for my old service desk job. Unfortunately, luck plays a big part in future success for everyone, but oftentimes a minimum wage job can pave the way to a full-time job.

Sorry I can’t offer better advice. :(

• Like 1

I echo@eal s post. I pretty much lucked into my job. And even though I don't make a lot, it's pretty cushy.

Or it was before COVID anyway.

• Like 1

So this is weird, and I don’t know how to feel about it. A couple months ago, after I finished playing VA-11 Hall-A, I ordered the soundtrack CD and it just came in the mail and it’s the vinyl. Obviously the vinyl is nicer and will probably sound nicer, but I don’t have a record player and it doesn’t come with any codes like records sometimes do (I once bought a record because I couldn’t find a CD of the same album but it came with a digital code so it didn’t matter). I got a deal but it wasn’t what I wanted even though it’s probably the better product. 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 6/20/2020 at 7:38 AM, eal said:

What I did, and this might not work for everybody, of course, was I worked those minimum wage jobs for years. I worked in fast food, moved on to retail, got a promotion to the service desk that looked good on my resume, and went into banking, since I had experience in handling cash and being on the lookout for potential fraud.

However, a lot of it was luck. Massachusetts was in the middle of raising its minimum wage a dollar a year by the time I went to retail, and the state plans to reach $15 by 2023 (we’re at $12.75 currently). And I started part time at the place I’m currently working, but quickly moved to full-time when a co-worker retired. That might sound like just a stroke of luck but promotions are generally only available after someone leaves, which was also the case for my old service desk job. Unfortunately, luck plays a big part in future success for everyone, but oftentimes a minimum wage job can pave the way to a full-time job.

Sorry I can’t offer better advice. :(

This is actually great advice, I think. 

• Like 2

This is actually great advice, I think. 

Very true. I got my masters degree for free through my school with the hopes of getting a promotion. The lady above me was there forever. She just moved across the country as her husband got transferred and they're not replacing her due to budgetary reasons next year, but I've been very busy volunteering to do a couple of her summertime tasks. Maybe in a year...?

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Very true. I got my masters degree for free through my school with the hopes of getting a promotion. The lady above me was there forever. She just moved across the country as her husband got transferred and they're not replacing her due to budgetary reasons next year, but I've been very busy volunteering to do a couple of her summertime tasks. Maybe in a year...?

Yep. I slowly squirmed my way from food service to retail, then retail to a kind-of-sort-of job field related to my current career, meanwhile going to college, and eventually everything added up to me getting into my field and being happy ever since. 

I will say, I've always put maximum effort into every job I've held, from frying chicken to managing a restaurant maintenance company. Eventually things like that get noticed. It's just that sometimes eventually feels like eternity. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 8:15 PM, eal said:

So this is weird, and I don’t know how to feel about it. A couple months ago, after I finished playing VA-11 Hall-A, I ordered the soundtrack CD and it just came in the mail and it’s the vinyl. Obviously the vinyl is nicer and will probably sound nicer, but I don’t have a record player and it doesn’t come with any codes like records sometimes do (I once bought a record because I couldn’t find a CD of the same album but it came with a digital code so it didn’t matter). I got a deal but it wasn’t what I wanted even though it’s probably the better product. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Are you interested in getting a vinyl player? They can be gotten pretty cheap and there's a good amount of video game soundtracks on vinyl out there. I initially got a Star Wars 40th anniversary Crosley but my Dad got me a nice stereo setup with a vinyl player that I use now.

Please don't get a Crosley lol