Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

Had a nervous breakdown... uh, Wednesday or Thursday, I don't know. All days are the same now. I was emotionally dead for an entire night.

Much better now thankfully. Cleaned up my room and my car too. Spring cleaning I guess, refreshed the soul.

I think there's an unspoken harm in this pandemic in the mental health of people. Thankfully it's something Telehealth can do better than a physical ailment. But with people losing jobs, they lose the insurance and well, that's a no go. I'm in an essential industry, so my job is still operating normally, but for those that are getting furloughed or worse, it's horrifying.

• Like 1

Got a new profile pic. It's the prize I won in an art raffle

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fates said:

Had a nervous breakdown... uh, Wednesday or Thursday, I don't know. All days are the same now. I was emotionally dead for an entire night.

Much better now thankfully. Cleaned up my room and my car too. Spring cleaning I guess, refreshed the soul.

I think there's an unspoken harm in this pandemic in the mental health of people. Thankfully it's something Telehealth can do better than a physical ailment. But with people losing jobs, they lose the insurance and well, that's a no go. I'm in an essential industry, so my job is still operating normally, but for those that are getting furloughed or worse, it's horrifying.

Yep.

I'm a landlord and I gave my Tenants some rent relief for May and June. 

I just beat Uncharted 2! What a great game. I'm not sure how much was changed graphically in the PS4 port (I never had a chance to play the PS3 versions), but it looks like a current gen game. The gameplay was as solid as the first, as expected from a Naughty Dog game. Looking forward to Uncharted 3 and 4.

• Like 1

I just ordered a custom, backlit Gameboy Advance. 

I decided to give DQotS a try. The fact I can play without holding my phone is nice

• Like 1

So there’s apparently a new Paper Mario game coming called Paper Mario: The Origami King. Just found it on the front page of the eshop this morning. 

You know, I REALLY wish Nintendo would get the hint that people want to see a Paper Mario game more in line with the first two. Hell, Super Paper Mario was drastically different in gameplay but still had the same approach to the character and world building the first two games had. Having replayed the first three a lot when I was growing up, it’s really disheartening to see the Paper Mario series continues to move away from what made the games so much fun and interesting in the first place.

• Like 2

So there’s apparently a new Paper Mario game coming called Paper Mario: The Origami King. Just found it on the front page of the eshop this morning. 

You know, I REALLY wish Nintendo would get the hint that people want to see a Paper Mario game more in line with the first two. Hell, Super Paper Mario was drastically different in gameplay but still had the same approach to the character and world building the first two games had. Having replayed the first three a lot when I was growing up, it’s really disheartening to see the Paper Mario series continues to move away from what made the games so much fun and interesting in the first place.

Paper Mario: Color Splash sold like 187,000. Ouch, that's bad.

Seems like they're following the $$¥$€£. Wait. Maybe not. What games were good & which were bad?

8816ec79953066085f8e811919a42408.jpg

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Seems like they're following the $$¥$€£. Wait. Maybe not. What games were good & which were bad?

First three games are the good ones, particularly the original and Thousand Year Door. Super Paper Mario has a different playstyle but it still retained many of the elements people liked about the first two.

Sticker Star sold alright, but you’re going to find it’s a mixed bag. It’s an RPG where combat is completely useless and you’re actually better off NOT fighting anything since you don’t gain anything from it, characterization and world elements from previous Paper Mario games is entirely absent that people liked about the three games prior, and the stupid sticker system...

I heard Color Splash improved on the gameplay of Sticker Star, but it’s like polishing a turd. Thankfully people have put out some really good fan mods for the first two games (and I think Super Paper Mario has some in the works) that change around enemies and can make the game more difficult or silly depending on your preferences.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

The new Paper Mario looks pretty neat. I like the circular battlefield. Wonder how exactly it'll work. Story also seems a bit darker.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

There is a game coming to the Switch later this month called Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling, and it goes for the style of game that Paper Mario fans like. I found out about it a while ago and I’m looking forward to it.

I can only hope for Mario RPGs that the Mario & Luigi series can continue despite Alpha Dream going into bankruptcy. 

23 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I just ordered a custom, backlit Gameboy Advance. 

It is going to be green. With Green Buttons. 

I am excited. I'm trying to decide what game to play on it first. 

• Like 1

Order a translated cart of DQM Caravan Hearts!

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Mother 3 is a good game. Get the fan translation patched onto a physical copy and you’ll be set. I think there are reproduction carts too.

Zelda: The Minish Cap is another good game, as is Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. It’s the easiest Fire Emblem game and is a good one for first time strategy RPG players/those who haven’t played FE. It was the first one I played through and I really enjoyed it.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Mother 3 is a good game. Get the fan translation patched onto a physical copy and you’ll be set. I think there are reproduction carts too.

Zelda: The Minish Cap is another good game, as is Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. It’s the easiest Fire Emblem game and is a good one for first time strategy RPG players/those who haven’t played FE. It was the first one I played through and I really enjoyed it.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:59 PM, Plattym3 said:

Oh hell yes!

I still need to Beat Cobi’s Journey as well. I’ve got it sitting on my shelf.

• Like 1

Oh hell yes!

It's a fantastic game

Oh hell yes!

That's a perfectly acceptable (ok, you got me, a BETTER) substitute!

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:
Oh hell yes!

It would be even better if it was Tara’s Adventure.

10 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
11 hours ago, cprmauldin said:
Oh hell yes!

It's a fantastic game

I loved the first DWM, so I figured it would be!

10 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
11 hours ago, cprmauldin said:
Oh hell yes!

Well maybe I’ll just start with that then :)

Brought out a new video today

On 5/14/2020 at 1:59 PM, Plattym3 said:

Ordered it on a whim at 3am when I was up with the little one. 

On 5/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Saw Mother 1, 2, 3, Fan translated, on a GBA cart. This may be my next purchase.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Ordered it on a whim at 3am when I was up with the little one. 

Saw Mother 1, 2, 3, Fan translated, on a GBA cart. This may be my next purchase.

The GBA version of Mother 1 does have an Easy Ring (or something similar to it) that lowers the overall game difficulty. Pretty sure it increases the EXP and money you earn. I’m not telling you that because you should avoid it, but because it’s REALLY helpful for the later parts of the game. Mother 1 unfortunately was rushed towards the end of development, with Shigesato Itoi and the dev team not properly testing it. So the end game monsters are...well, if you ever played the NES version of Dragon Quest II, it’s on the scale of The Cave to Rhône and what follows that. End game monsters in another 1 are brutal, even for an NES era RPG.

Can’t comment much on the GBA version of Earthbound/Mother 2, but other than the sound quality likely not being as good as the original, the game is a great SNES era RPG and is one of my favorite games.

Mother 3 is great too. Loved the story telling in the game and how it makes for a satisfying ending to the series as a whole. If you play the other games first, you’ll appreciate a lot of the nods found in the 3rd game. But even if someone jumps into Mother 3 first, they wouldn’t be lost or missing something from the first two games. It’s like DQ or Final Fantasy where, having played other games from the series, you’ll appreciate little details here and there while playing.

Sorry, went off a bit too long there. The Mother/Earthbound series is one of my favorite RPG franchises. 

Wow, that $13 Caravan Hearts is now $23!