Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

Well, I’m having a lucky day today. Got to work and they told me we’d be leaving at 1 or 1:30 since there isn’t much of the critical work to do, and we’ll be paid for a whole day’s work. Can’t say I blame our head manager for making that call since, like I said yesterday, we’re running into roadblocks. Figure today will make a good day to make a crockpot of that veggie soup recipe I found since I’ll be home way sooner than I was expecting to be.

I also got The Art of Cuphead book in the mail this morning before I left for work. I had pre-ordered it months ago and forgot all about it due to what’s been happening, so I was surprised to see it had arrived. I’m looking forward to cracking it open and looking through everything while listening to the game’s soundtrack.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Something funny for those in need of a laugh. Different parts of Paul Blart 2 as synced up with Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. I came across this video a while ago and laughed so hard over how it surprisingly DOES sync up with the album! Sounds like this comes from snippets of a podcast, but either way this #$*! is hilarious.

There's a decent chance our government will be firing doctors and nurses next week so that's fun

2 hours ago, Democrobot said:

There's a decent chance our government will be firing doctors and nurses next week so that's fun

Uh, why? Aren't they the most essential service right now?

2 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Uh, why? Aren't they the most essential service right now?

They were deemed unessential months back and the government hates people

What country is this?

42 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
52 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

What country is this?

Canada, but provincially this is Alberta

5 hours ago, Democrobot said:

Uh, what the actual #$*!? I feel like I'm not getting the whole story here.

It's because that #$*! Carol Baskin is hiding the facts.

The ice cream lady? 31 flavors?

9 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Uh, what the actual #$*!? I feel like I'm not getting the whole story here.

Basically our last government raised our deficit and people didn't like that so they voted them out. The new government promised to reduce the debt then they went and gave a 4.7 billion dollar tax break to corporations. These corporations took the money and relocated to the USA (Texas mostly it seems) so to make up for raising the deficit they cut funding to education, healthcare, infrastructure, and childcare. This then in turn caused mass layoffs and now we are in the biggest recession since the global price of oil dropped. We lose thousands if not tens of thousands of jobs per month because of the government. They also took away grants and other incentives that would entice new companies to come here and thus diversify our economy.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, Dwaine said:

The ice cream lady? 31 flavors?

I at first thought Dwaine said Carol Burnett, but that may be because I’ve been watching clips of it on YouTube lately.

The lockdown thing is wearing me down a lot. As I mentioned before, I had to do a self imposed lockdown because of my mom's health. I am usually an introvert, but going this long without playing a good matches of any fighting game is killing me. My mom's health hasn't gotten much better. Kinda worried I have to go take her into the hospital again. And we all know what those are like right now.

My doctor also had to cancel our appointments this month and is doing it by phone. The Hospital that we typically use apparently has some rooms left. But they are massively understaffed. So a lot of family doctors are going over to help. At least the rate of cases have been going down in the last couple days it looks like. Hopefully this means we are on the top of the curve for now.

With that $1,200 stimulus check coming in. I am going to set aside about $200 of it and host a fighting game party here. Probably mostly Smash brothers.

I got furloughed today. Other than feeling sick to my stomach I think I'll be okay. I already signed up for unemployment and my wife and I have good savings. I guess I'll have plenty of time to play games now.

The “critical work,” we have to do where I work feels really pointless to focus on right now, but at least I was able to work in the back of house all day by myself. I did get quite a bit accomplished, so I’m happy with that. Gave me plenty of time to just zone out and listen to another soundtrack. I went with Zelda: Breath of the Wild today, and good lord I forgot how much music was in that damn game! I only got up to the Korok Forest music, which is the start of disc 4.

I got furloughed today. Other than feeling sick to my stomach I think I'll be okay. I already signed up for unemployment and my wife and I have good savings. I guess I'll have plenty of time to play games now.
I'm so sorry to hear this. Hope the furlough is as short as possible!

Sugar, do do do do do dooo...

These are some well edited Simpsons clips.

21 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
22 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. Hope the furlough is as short as possible!

Thanks dude, me too.

Yeah, that sucks, hope this is all over sooner rather than later

We were furloughed at work until further notice. Good news is we will still have our health insurance active for all full timers.

Certainly wasn’t news I was expecting today. Guess it’s a good thing I have a few RPGs I need to finish off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

We were furloughed at work until further notice. Good news is we will still have our health insurance active for all full timers.

Certainly wasn’t news I was expecting today. Guess it’s a good thing I have a few RPGs I need to finish off.

How does one get a full time job? I've only ever seen openings for part time positions because part timers don't have to be given benefits.

I guess that's not entirely true. I see full time positions sometimes for people who have several years of dedicated experience. But I never see jobs available to earn that experience - unless you're rich enough to afford college or poor enough / a minority / a savant so that someone else will pay for your schooling as a charity case, all that's available are part time labor jobs. I'm lucky to even work in an office but it still doesn't really make a living because hours are scarce (even before the pandemic). I was about to search for a second job before I got sick and then the shutdowns started happening. Now, because what little savings I had managed to scrounge up have burned away, I basically have no choice but to find one as soon as the shutdowns are lifted.

I'm even tempted to go apply at GameStop or something that is open during this crap, that's how bad my household and I have been hit.

52 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'm even tempted to go apply at GameStop or something that is open during this crap, that's how bad my household and I have been hit.

I don’t like to to give advice to people when I don’t know anything about their personal situation so feel free to totally disregard what I say, but GameStop seems to be in a volatile place right now. There’s a chance this crisis could kill the company, or, at the very least, shrink it. And I don’t need to say anything about how it treats its employees because it’s such common knowledge. So I don’t know if I’d want to work there. Walmarts, at least in my area, are doing on-the-spot hiring so that’s an alternative. Retail jobs are going to be a mess for the next few weeks. It just can’t be avoided.

59 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

How does one get a full time job? I've only ever seen openings for part time positions because part timers don't have to be given benefits.

I stumbled into my full time job. I initially picked up a second part time job and planned to work about 40 hours to Frankenstein it into working full time, but then my second job just so happened to have an opening a couple months later due to a retirement in our office and I jumped on it.

1 hour ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I guess that's not entirely true. I see full time positions sometimes for people who have several years of dedicated experience. But I never see jobs available to earn that experience - unless you're rich enough to afford college or poor enough / a minority / a savant so that someone else will pay for your schooling as a charity case, all that's available are part time labor jobs. I'm lucky to even work in an office but it still doesn't really make a living because hours are scarce (even before the pandemic). I was about to search for a second job before I got sick and then the shutdowns started happening. Now, because what little savings I had managed to scrounge up have burned away, I basically have no choice but to find one as soon as the shutdowns are lifted.

Good luck out there, man.

Multiple part time jobs are common in Oregon, from what I understand. If you see something full time that interests you, just apply. When things open back, drop in and talk to some people. If you're capable and get along with everyone, you just might get hired.

Apply to someplace like Target before Gamestop. They treat their employees better overall and who knows where Gamestop is gonna be in a few weeks.

I wouldn't actually *want* to work at GameStop specifically. They just stuck out in my mind as something that is actually doing business right now (even if it's not for long).

13 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Well here is the path I took:

Age 14 and 15 - Worked seasonal full-time at a waterpark as a lifeguard in the summer

Age 15.5-17 - Worked part time at  pizza place while finishing high school then started college part time. I was living on my own in a multiple-room mate situation to make ends meet. 

Age 17 - Moved geographically for opportunity, graduated high school and continued college, worked at a pizza place and fast food joint for a total of 70 hours a week. Still needed a room-mate. Did not sleep much, rode my bike about 10 miles between jobs and home every day. 

Age 18 - Promoted to supervisor at the fast food joint, went full time. 

Age 18-19 - Used Management experience to go into the restaurant maintenance field and was a supervisor shortly thereafter, full time. Continued part time college

Age 19 - Drifted toward my career field. Moved from a management position at a retail store to a loss prevention position. Full-Time.

Age 20 - Culmination of all of my experience allowed me to break into the career field I'm in love with and will be in for the rest of my life (hopefully). 

Age 27 - Going strong in my full-time government job. I've moved agencies and titles a bit, but I've loved every minute of it. Benefits and the whole shebang. 

In conclusion, it took a lot of working my butt off, working multiple jobs, working 70+ hours a week, gaining experience, etc to get where I am.

So that is how I got my full time job. Everyone's path in life is different, find what works for you. I wish you the absolute best! Good Luck!

• Like 1