Jump to content
Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I'm in a weird headspace with Dragon Quest at the moment. I've been running a little Dragon Quest art tumblr. My most popular pieces are all Dragon Quest 7 art. I never would have guessed that before. I guess the new generation of DQ fans got their start with DQ7 and it's ultimately become the starting point for the new gen, much like FF7 was for a lot of people. It's still weird to me.

The 3DS port of 7 was kind of the kick off time for me. It began a new age of the fandom I'm guessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I'm in a weird headspace with Dragon Quest at the moment. I've been running a little Dragon Quest art tumblr. My most popular pieces are all Dragon Quest 7 art. I never would have guessed that before. I guess the new generation of DQ fans got their start with DQ7 and it's ultimately become the starting point for the new gen, much like FF7 was for a lot of people. It's still weird to me.

My impression has been that Dragon Quest XI has been the start of the next generation. I’ve seen a lot of videos, art, and just general engagement around Dragon Quest XI. I haven’t seen it since VIII.

Running with my theory, Id guess VII became popular because it’s harder to find content for VII then XI, so people are clamoring for it more. A new fan of Dragon Quest that was brought on by XI might have gone back to play older, yet still easily available games, such as the 3DS ports. That’s just my guess though.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eal said:

 A new fan of Dragon Quest that was brought on by XI might have gone back to play older, yet still easily available games, such as the 3DS ports. That’s just my guess though.

This is a pretty good insight. It's true. the old DS games are becoming really hard to find, IX is in the middle ground there. VII/VIII on the 3DS are the next best bets so I can see after XI and the I-III switch ports this is where people would logically go next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bururian said:

This is a pretty good insight. It's true. the old DS games are becoming really hard to find, IX is in the middle ground there. VII/VIII on the 3DS are the next best bets so I can see after XI and the I-III switch ports this is where people would logically go next.

It’s just too bad this hasn’t translated to new, active members on the Den. I remember a huge influx during the IX days, myself included. My theory for this is that a lot of quest information and alchemy recipes and the like could be found on the Den. IX has a lot of item grinding and scrounging stuff up and a number of other post-game activities. You’ll spend more time doing all that stuff than the main story. I know that’s how I found the main site, researching where to find things. There isn’t as much call for that in XI, even though there are still things like alchemy.

People looking for community are going to places you’d expect: Reddit, Tumblr, popular forums like GameFAQs, etc., not realizing there’s also an active forum for Dragon Quest fans in particular.

Edited by eal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the site for nearly 15 years without signing up for the forum and I only joined around the time Heroes came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a grey blotch show up in my vision on Saturday. Made me panic since it didn't go away.

Turns out it is a really big floater. It will go away over time. But it is really hard for me to accomplish anything with part of my vision blocked. I have to take the time to fully read things since it is in the center of my vision.

Rune Factory 4 is only a week away. I am going to be pissed if it doesn't go away by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I had a grey blotch show up in my vision on Saturday. Made me panic since it didn't go away.

Turns out it is a really big floater. It will go away over time. But it is really hard for me to accomplish anything with part of my vision blocked. I have to take the time to fully read things since it is in the center of my vision.

Rune Factory 4 is only a week away. I am going to be pissed if it doesn't go away by then.

 

I had a big ol' floater appear directly in the center of my right eye's vision. It was black to begin with but over the last...6 months to a year it has faded to a dull gray so it'll eventually go away. Looking at brighter colors and white I can see it easily, but I've also learned to tune it out for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bururian said:

 

I had a big ol' floater appear directly in the center of my right eye's vision. It was black to begin with but over the last...6 months to a year it has faded to a dull gray so it'll eventually go away. Looking at brighter colors and white I can see it easily, but I've also learned to tune it out for the most part.

Yeah that is exactly what I am going through right now. I am pretty confident that they are the same floaters that were in the corner of my vision about a half a year ago. It is duller then it was when it showed up last week. So it seems to be going away just fine. It has gotten to the point where I am used to it and able to get things done without it being too distracting fortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After receiving some really rough news yesterday, something like this is a small something to brighten my spirits. I’m glad it will be both the original Gameboy soundtrack and the newly arranged stuff for the remake. I’ll definitely get this next month.

https://www.siliconera.com/the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-dreams-up-an-original-soundtrack-release-on-march-18/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been doing esport stuff lately. I keep missing top cut by a merge smidge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Work
Toddler
Star Trek Online ocassionally
Writing
Roleplaying
Reading

Not much else other than that.

It doesn't feel like I should have time for all this now that I've written it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally getting back to working on my writing. Ever since I discovered my passion for Golden Age(-styled) detective novels I've been trying to craft my own mystery worthy of the Dorothy L. Sayer and Christianna Brand greats, but sadly there's so much form and artifice to the genre I have yet to fully master beyond just theory. It just goes to show that you can study and analyze a craft however much you like, but there's no teaching pair greater than Mr. Practice and his partner Mrs. Failure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a pain but I managed to get my latest YouTube video up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went on a crayon-based field trip today with my son. We made a gift for a friend of ours. ea734dab32cd26a15826bf689fc618c7.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Went on a crayon-based field trip today with my son. We made a gift for a friend of ours. ea734dab32cd26a15826bf689fc618c7.jpg

You should've  made me a green one cause I'm that color with envy.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an eye exam yesterday. My left eye needs nearly twice as strong of a prescription now.

I've been going to Discord servers I'm in and streaming Dragon Quest: Your Story. The Spanish community seems to enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made top cut at a Pokemon tournament today! Making my way to London slowly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Democrobot said:

I made top cut at a Pokemon tournament today! Making my way to London slowly

Awesome! Keep up the great work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, eal said:

It’s just too bad this hasn’t translated to new, active members on the Den. I remember a huge influx during the IX days, myself included. My theory for this is that a lot of quest information and alchemy recipes and the like could be found on the Den. IX has a lot of item grinding and scrounging stuff up and a number of other post-game activities. You’ll spend more time doing all that stuff than the main story. I know that’s how I found the main site, researching where to find things. There isn’t as much call for that in XI, even though there are still things like alchemy.

People looking for community are going to places you’d expect: Reddit, Tumblr, popular forums like GameFAQs, etc., not realizing there’s also an active forum for Dragon Quest fans in particular.

I do see a lot of new people on the Dragon Quest subreddit, but I really don't think content is really all that good there, to be honest. Most of the time it's people asking what game they should play. Due to how Reddit is structured, threads are there until they aren't popular so everything gets pushed down and then you see the same posts that keep cropping up. This is why I don't like Reddit all that much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I do see a lot of new people on the Dragon Quest subreddit, but I really don't think content is really all that good there, to be honest. Most of the time it's people asking what game they should play. Due to how Reddit is structured, threads are there until they aren't popular so everything gets pushed down and then you see the same posts that keep cropping up. This is why I don't like Reddit all that much.

Reddit works for individual content. It’s not really a “community.” Very rarely do you talk to familiar faces and the content is, like you said, mostly people asking questions, and also sharing content that fans of that subreddit would like. I like it for memes and news on deals and some general opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting kind of worried about PAX. The two things I want to see are likely gonna rely on me getting lucky and getting a ticket for a certain time. Animal Crossing has online registration that I gotta get right at 5pm on Thursday to get a time for Friday. I can likely get into there without a ticket but that line is gonna be chaos. Final Fantasy is doing a ticket system as well but there's limited spaces. They start handing out tickets at 10:30 and once they're gone, they're gone. I'm hoping I get my AC ticket for Friday so I can go to Square first thing Friday and grab a ticket to play Final Fantasy later in the day.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oof...tickets for FFVIIr? They must be expecting a massive crowd. Any chance you could hit up Michi and try to snag a spot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Liamland said:

Oof...tickets for FFVIIr? They must be expecting a massive crowd. Any chance you could hit up Michi and try to snag a spot?

I might talk to her on Friday and see if she'd be able to help me out. I don't expect any special treatment but it would pretty cool if she was able to do that for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I might talk to her on Friday and see if she'd be able to help me out. I don't expect any special treatment but it would pretty cool if she was able to do that for me.

np, but if they have any spare tickets, the sooner you can reach out the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

n9f4gj43f7j41.jpg.412fc7ae2b255339423072e25b7d967f.jpg

On 2/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, Bururian said:

I used the site for nearly 15 years without signing up for the forum and I only joined around the time Heroes came out.

Same. I first really started using it in high school to look up DQVIII stuff. (I owned the game, but never actually finished it due to storage and moving).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...