Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

15 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I think it's reductive to say that people who didn't support the accusers just want to punish or silence women. Innocent should be presumed over guilt and honestly all this cancel culture bullshit is so toxic. ProJared is a good example that comes to mind of how the internet takes sides and then just eviscerates "the enemy".

I don't doubt that some dickheads supported Vic and were toxic online. That's the nature of things. But that's just more of example why internet vigilantism is go freaking dangerous anyway. And there were also plenty of people who wanted to crucify Vic without having even heard either sides full stories.

Some people just love to hate people. It needs to end.

I said it was a reaction to having to deal with that, not that it was all of, or even the majority of, I Stand With Vic. Honestly, I think the majority were anime fans that couldn’t accept that their favorite voice actor that was nice to them when they met him at a con is actually a douche, some people trying to jump onto when Comicsgate started collapsing, and the grifters trying to earn some bucks off all those people. But regardless, the reaction Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial got from Vic stans was not in proportion at all to what the average person should get when they speak out against someone. So yes, I do believe a fair chunk just hate that a man’s career was damaged by women who were hurt by him. The DBZ leaks had nothing to do with the court case. Why dig for dirt to air out in public besides out of spite?

Vic Mignogna took Jamie Marchi took court because she said he pulled her hair on Twitter and Vic stans 

Edited by eal

7 hours ago, eal said:

But regardless, the reaction Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial got from Vic stans was not in proportion at all to what the average person should get when they speak out against someone.

Marchi and Toye went beyond speaking out. They were spending every day #$*! flinging and attacking. There probably wouldn’t have even been a lawsuit if it weren’t for them.

There wouldn’t have been a lawsuit against Funimation and Monica Rial if it weren’t Marchi and Ron Toye? His lawsuit against Marchi was the weakest of them all. The judge threw out all claims against her from the bench because they couldn’t find substantial evidence for anything. And most importantly, didn’t Vic admit in his deposition that he pulled Jamie’s hair like she claimed? Amanda Winn-Lee and D.C. Douglas were flinging more #$*! then she was. As for Toye, I don’t care for him so you won’t see me defending him lol.

Edited by eal

Marchi shouldn't have been included. Her role in the suit has been more popular than any of her acting roles. There's still going to be a ruling on Rial/Toye and Funimation. Given the mountain of evidence that came from their own mouths, there should be a ruling against them, even if damages aren't awarded.

Honestly, I think the majority were anime fans that couldn’t accept that their favorite voice actor that was nice to them when they met him at a con is actually a douche

I think it goes beyond that. People started smelling a dogpile. The original article did not vet their source. They used pictures without permission. Some of the people in the pictures came out and said nothing nefarious was happening. As things snowballed the claims started becoming less and less credible. More crazy things started happening from the "right" side of things. The attacks, fake swattings, backstabbing, etc. People in general are starting to tire of the cancel culture / Trial By Twitter. People are starting to get tired of biased, poorly researched articles that are easily refuted. So they're going to rally towards someone they see as the true victim. Like I said, nobody in this situation is innocent, but it never would've gotten to this point had everything been kept off Twitter.

Comparing it to what's happening with comics is kind of apples to oranges. Twitter is that thing that makes them both fruit, though! Mark Waid did that #$*!. He knows it. He bragged about doing it. That's why he's using stalling tactics to try and burn through Meyer's money. If the facts are on his side, he needs to go to court and stand by his words. He won't, though, because the depositions made him look worse. If he hadn't done that, Meyer would've just been putting out an occasional book at a small publisher. Instead it just made him more popular.

In regards to Monica and Ron, I Stand With Vic was pretty confident the evidence was in their favor for TI, and it was thrown out or dismissed or whatever. So there are no guarantees that it will swing that way for those claims.

And regardless of that ANN article, the fact remains that people did come forward to share their stories. Like Monica and Jamie, who were sued for speaking up even though Vic admitted to pulling Jamie’s hair in his deposition, and Jessie Pridemore and a few other random people. There are people. Just because ANN did a bad job doesn’t mean there was no one with accusations to levy against him. False accusations or bad sources does not invalidate the genuine ones. This could go on forever and neither of us are gonna alter our views so I’ll just say that I apply my standards both ways and would like to see the accusations about Chris Sabat looked into after the Vic Mignogna situation is resolved (seeing as it was only dug up to be used in bad faith as a diversionary tactic). I noticed on Twitter that the ANN author of the Vic piece was bothered it wasn’t being talked about so maybe she’ll look into it.

As for Comicsgate, I didn’t compare KickVic to it, just commented that people are bored with it and are moving onto the next culture war outrage now that Meyer’s channel has turned into him giving mild complaints of a book instead of #$*!ing about the comic book industry like it’s an ex-girlfriend and making personal attacks towards writers (although he still keeps incorrectly saying the Ironheart writer got the job because of her hair tho!). And Ethan Van Sciver fleecing customers out of their money on three covers and a coin for the same 40 page comic that he’s a year late on. And between infighting and people leaving social media, there’s been a total collapse and KotakuinAction needs a new place to put their money to own the libs.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm at SeaWorld

You watch Blackfish?

You watch Blackfish?
Yep. But I've lived in Orlando more than half my life. Have tons of friends that work here. Tons of animals caught, treated, released. They do a lot of good. It's not 1984 anymore, no matter what PETA says. PETA kills more animals yearly than SeaWorld.

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm at SeaWorld

You ever been to Discovery Cove, Platty? That’s a really cool park/place to check out. I went there once years ago when I was in Florida visiting family and it was a fun time.

13 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
18 minutes ago, eal said:
You watch Blackfish?

Yep. But I've lived in Orlando more than half my life. Have tons of friends that work here. Tons of animals caught, treated, released. They do a lot of good. It's not 1984 anymore, no matter what PETA says. PETA kills more animals yearly than SeaWorld.

In regards to PETA, fun fact, they kill the vast majority of the animals they take in. Something around 75%.

• Like 1

You ever been to Discovery Cove, Platty? That’s a really cool park/place to check out. I went there once years ago when I was in Florida visiting family and it was a fun time.
No, but in a couple years we're planning to with both kids. Once my 3 year-old is old enough to do all the things there and remember it.

I've always heard it's a great day.

The reason we're here today is my 6 year-old got an up-close encounter with dolphins for his birthday. Not an in the pool thing, but a half hour doing tricks and such thing.

SeaWorld works well for our family. I get in free as a teacher. Just gotta renew each August, super-easy. Florida residents 5 years and younger on January 1 can get a free free yearly child pass. So for about $150/year my wife buys her pass and we're good.

All summer they have free beer for adults. They attempt to draw a mark on hands. It wipes off. Unlimited beer!

Have you ever been in such a bad mood that you want to be mad something, but you don't have anything to be mad at, so it makes your mood even worse?

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

No, but in a couple years we're planning to with both kids. Once my 3 year-old is old enough to do all the things there and remember it.

I've always heard it's a great day.

The reason we're here today is my 6 year-old got an up-close encounter with dolphins for his birthday. Not an in the pool thing, but a half hour doing tricks and such thing.

SeaWorld works well for our family. I get in free as a teacher. Just gotta renew each August, super-easy. Florida residents 5 years and younger on January 1 can get a free free yearly child pass. So for about $150/year my wife buys her pass and we're good.

All summer they have free beer for adults. They attempt to draw a mark on hands. It wipes off. Unlimited beer!

Nice! That’s a pretty good deal for a family of four to go have some fun whenever possible. I’ve been to Sea World twice and I remember liking it both times. 2nd time I went we went on the water ride they had and when we finished the guy asked if we wanted to go again since there weren’t many people in line. Of course we all said yes! Haha

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eal said:

Just because ANN did a bad job doesn’t mean there was no one with accusations to levy against him. False accusations or bad sources does not invalidate the genuine ones. This could go on forever and neither of us are gonna alter our views so I’ll just say that I apply my standards both ways and would like to see the accusations about Chris Sabat looked into after the Vic Mignogna situation is resolved (seeing as it was only dug up to be used in bad faith as a diversionary tactic). I noticed on Twitter that the ANN author of the Vic piece was bothered it wasn’t being talked about so maybe she’ll look into it.

As for Comicsgate, I didn’t compare KickVic to it, just commented that people are bored with it and are moving onto the next culture war outrage now that Meyer’s channel has turned into him giving mild complaints of a book instead of #$*!ing about the comic book industry like it’s an ex-girlfriend and making personal attacks towards writers (although he still keeps incorrectly saying the Ironheart writer got the job because of her hair tho!). And Ethan Van Sciver fleecing customers out of their money on three covers and a coin for the same 40 page comic that he’s a year late on. And between infighting and people leaving social media, there’s been a total collapse and KotakuinAction needs a new place to put their money to own the libs.

The reason why ANN's bad job is so important is they were the ones to really kick it off. People followed those bad leads instead of properly researching and vetting the sources. Then there was the Tumblr (was it?) where people could just submit accusations anonymously. It kept going down from there. Muddied waters like that lessen the seriousness and impact of real claims. If someone's crying for help, that cry can't be muffled by gossip and lulz. And I absolutely think Sabat needs to be looked into, but I doubt it will be a fair investigation. His claws are too deep in Funimation for him to get the boot. And that's a shame, because I've never liked his Piccolo and Vegeta. They sound practically alike anyway!

EVS is a YouTube personality now. Straight up. Tennapel is destroying him with two 9x12 books this year.  I can't hate Meyer for creating the books he wants to read. Some of the things he's said actually did have an effect. Marvel's staff has significantly toned down the polarizing political content and customer attacking. Things seem to be generally going well for independent creators. It's a good time to be one, but at what cost and is it sustainable? I just want to work on my books. I don't have enough time to do YouTube steams, pick a click, get others to fund my stuff, and so on.

I went to a wedding today that I thought was going to suck but actually turned out well. A couple saw my Dragon Quest tattoo so we started talking about the series. Turns out the girl works at a Gamestop near me and another one of my old coworkers from the Gamestop I worked at was there as well. Good times talking about our time working there and video games in general. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

And I absolutely think Sabat needs to be looked into, but I doubt it will be a fair investigation. His claws are too deep in Funimation for him to get the boot. And that's a shame, because I've never liked his Piccolo and Vegeta. They sound practically alike anyway!

EVS is a YouTube personality now. Straight up. Tennapel is destroying him with two 9x12 books this year.  I can't hate Meyer for creating the books he wants to read. Some of the things he's said actually did have an effect. Marvel's staff has significantly toned down the polarizing political content and customer attacking. Things seem to be generally going well for independent creators. It's a good time to be one, but at what cost and is it sustainable? I just want to work on my books. I don't have enough time to do YouTube steams, pick a click, get others to fund my stuff, and so on.

The problem with a potential investigation into Sabat is that he founded and runs OkraTron 5000, a studio that Funimation utilizes. It’s my understanding they have multiple studios, but losing access to one would be a severe blow for a company that specializes in quick, sometimes same-day dubs. And though Vic Mignogna is more over a superstar, Sabat is in everything, and he plays prominent roles for shows that are still popular and still come out. Most of Vic’s iconic roles are finished, aside from Broly, who mostly just screams and makes noises and grunts, so replacing that role won’t be particularly difficult. Unless an avalanche of women corroborate the casting couch claims, and not just an angry friend and disgruntled former employees, I doubt we’ll see anything come of this, which would be unfortunate if it was true.

I still watch Meyer’s videos. Not because I value his opinions (he probably dislikes, or is at least lukewarm, about the majority of the books I read), but because sometimes he says bizarre stuff about comics and I find them funny in an ironic sort of way. I don’t really care about his comics. Not my taste and if he wants to make them, I don’t care. At least he’s the most consistent person in CG. The reason eyes are off him now is simply because lately he’s only had very milquetoast things to say about creators so the shock value compared what he used to say is gone.

I think independent content is sustainable, personally. Comicsgate gave people the impression that crowdfunded books should be making six-figures, when really $10,000-40,000 is about right. I see a lot of stuff on Kickstarter and Indiegogo that do about that much. CG is just very clique-y and you need EVS to promote you, or else you won’t make nearly as much. Also, I hear Tennapel left CG on bad terms but I could never find the reason anywhere, just that he had a falling out.

Sometimes I'll watch a Meyer video or two. I have him to thank for introducing me to Space Bandits and No One Left to Fight, which are great. That's actually one redeemable thing about Meyer. He's not afraid to praise an author he doesn't like personally. Sitterson really dug himself into a hole, but he came back with a fun book that has stellar art that's selling out. (It obviously started out as Dragon Ball fan fiction, but that doesn't make it any less fun.) I actually follow the artist for Space Bandits on Instagram, but he only posts his convention commissions in bursts.

Independent content IS sustainable if an audience is built with good, consistent work. Someone like Tennapel understands this. Meyer seems to have an actual business plan. Practically everything else sounds very similar to the Image boom. Lots of creators, lots of money, but they all crashed and burned before they had enough content for one trade. It sounds easy enough to be tempting. Align yourself with these people and your project is funded and then some. I just don't want to build my audience like that. Don't wanna be part of a movement or labeled. I want everyone who wants to read a fun story and likes cool artwork to check it out. I don't feel entitled to my audience's money. The only Kickstarters and Indiegogos I'll back are from trusted creators or projects where the book just needs printing/distribution.

Still recovering. Not much going on. Swelling is going down

• Like 1

I’m not sure what to make of this news. KFC is making a dating game where you romance Colonel Sanders.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/10/i-love-you-colonel-sanders-a-finger-lickin-good-dating-simulator-will-let-people-date-the-colonel/

13 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m not sure what to make of this news. KFC is making a dating game where you romance Colonel Sanders.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/10/i-love-you-colonel-sanders-a-finger-lickin-good-dating-simulator-will-let-people-date-the-colonel/

Just when you think you have seen everything in life. What a time we live in.

I was supposed to close on my house today but the loan office didn't have everything ready so we got pushed back to tomorrow. I took a day off of work for this and they delayed us to later today before canceling. The lesson I learned is that if something doesn't go the way you plan, especially if it's out of your control, is to just breath and don't act rashly. Time for some video games.

2 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Just when you think you have seen everything in life. What a time we live in.

We live in a world where you can date birds in a visual novel. I’m not surprised.

10 minutes ago, eal said:

We live in a world where you can date birds in a visual novel. I’m not surprised.

Yeah, but a mascot dating sim that is actually published by said company? KFC is a game publisher now.

23 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Yeah, but a mascot dating sim that is actually published by said company? KFC is a game publisher now.

I hope there’s a colonel based on every actor/person who portrayed them in the commercials.

Give me Reba Colonel or give me nothing. It won’t get me to play the game, but I still want to see it happen.

19 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I hope there’s a colonel based on every actor/person who portrayed them in the commercials.

Give me Reba Colonel or give me nothing. It won’t get me to play the game, but I still want to see it happen.

It can't be a good dating sim without options.

It is going to be one of those throw away games for Youtubers. So I won't play it. If they make a KFC DOOM clone, then I might play it.