Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

So, of course, I just got home from work, and because my stepmom, one of her friends, and my sister are all watching TV in the living room, she sees me right away and starts firing off questions about my day as soon as I walk through the door. (She always does this when she sees that I'm home.) Obviously, because we have guests, I didn't talk about that. But somehow the subject of girls came up and she said "you either need to commit to being amish or start dating". ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? IT'S NOT LIKE I HAVEN'T BEEN TRYING.

Getting ready for finals and whatnot for school.  I'm actually ahead on a lot of my work for finals (it all comes down to papers and only one actual test), so I can relax a bit.

Also, with the very recent English announcement of Etrian Mystery Dungeon so shortly after it's reveal is pretty exciting. I'm glad Atlus is so on the ball with translating games now.  It's nice knowing the waiting times between Japanese and English releases are short. Wish I could say the same for our dear Dragon Quest, but... (points at Sqeenix).  I feel like a kid in a candy shop with all this Etrian Odyssey love.

So, of course, I just got home from work, and because my stepmom, one of her friends, and my sister are all watching TV in the living room, she sees me right away and starts firing off questions about my day as soon as I walk through the door. (She always does this when she sees that I'm home.) Obviously, because we have guests, I didn't talk about that. But somehow the subject of girls came up and she said "you either need to commit to being amish or start dating". ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? IT'S NOT LIKE I HAVEN'T BEEN TRYING.

Amish don't date?

Sorry about girl A. You asked though, and that was my hardest part when I was younger. I let so many go unasked. Sounds good maybe about girl B. Very few people just buy people coffee/anything without even a tiny reason.

When I was dating online, I never had more than like a date every other week. I was picky and would rarely even chat with more than one girl at a time. Then it so happened that one girl took about 3 months to go out and I'd met another girl and suddenly I had back to back dates. Girl A was fun at Epcot on Wednesday. Girl B was fun the next night at a German place. Then I went on dates again the next week. Girl A was more compatible. Then girl B found me on Facebook (we had a friend in common actually) and sent me a long note about how she stupidly let her mom sign her up online and she wasn't ready to date again & there was this whole sad story. Which was fine, I'd gone on like 5 other dates with Girl A by that time!

P. S. - I'm married to girl A.

Damn. I wish I could go to Epcot for a date. Stupid west coast.

Dutch Bros. girl wasn't working when I stopped by for coffee.

Bought a Mario Kart 8 32 GB Wii U Bundle today. Since I got it at Walmart, it came with a free $50 gift card. In all honesty, if they hadn't run out of Smash Bros. copies, I can guarantee I was gonna turn right back around and get that as well. But Mario Kart 8 should be fine before Christmas and I can use the gift card to do the rest of my Christmas shopping.

• Upvote 1

DQ3 is fun. I know I nitpick (it's downright stupid that they downgraded it from the SFC version overall) but the game is still fun.

Coffee Girl sounds like a good thing for you, Erdrick. May the odds be ever in your favor.

I spent my lunch break talking about girls' periods. Very informative.

Coffee Girl sounds like a good thing for you, Erdrick. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Yep, sometimes you just have to go with the flow of conversation.

Coffee Girl sounds like a good thing for you, Erdrick. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Yep, sometimes you just have to go with the flow of conversation.

I was the one who instigated the conversation. Figured I might as well equip myself with more knowledge for the future.

Don't know if you missed the pun or chose to ignore it.

Either way:

24c40cc868b1526f78f6b95541d8c0d4.jpg

Edited by Plattym3

I actually missed it. I must be losing my touch.

Started playing Pokémon X (got a free copy thanks to a promotion Nintendo ran a few months pack). At this point it's more of a distraction than anything, but it's been fun so far. I'm up to the first gym with a full team. I figure it'll help me get used to the changes that are going to be present in Omega Ruby whenever I pick that up.

• Upvote 1

Hmm... Play DQ3 or work on Fortune Street Special? Decisions, decisions.

Why not do both AT THE SAME TIME?!

Because I lack the ability to actually accomplish two things at once. I could try to do both, but no progress would be made in either pursuit.

Because I lack the ability to actually accomplish two things at once. I could try to do both, but no progress would be made in either pursuit.

Well not with that attitude... :P

• Upvote 1

Erdrick, what was downgraded for DQIII, specifically?  It's been awhile since I've played the SFC version.

I noticed some of the music changed, like the opening questions where the spirit (Rubiss?) is asking the hero questions.  Originally that was new music made for the SFC version, and released on orchestral soundtracks, for the remake.

The movement seems a little sluggish on the iPad, but maybe it would appear more fluid on a smaller device.  I'm also used to playing DQIV, both iOS & Android versions, so there's a larger range of motion.  I'm not that far into it, so I don't know what else might have changed, besides Robbin 'Ood.  :rolleyes:

One of the downgrades referred to is the lack of Pachisi / T'n'T tracks.  They had them in the SFC (and GBC) but did not include them here.  Also, monsters were animated in the SFC version but are not here.  The introduction sequence was also removed, which is a bit of a shame because it was really cool.

There are also some features of the GBC game that are not included here, like monster medals and the second bonus dungeon.

I'm fine without monster medals, but the lack of animated monsters is a serious downgrade!

They didn't put very much time into this, if the 1996 version is still better.  I wonder how the Japanese are reacting to this version.

I hope they do the right thing and release a patch that animates the monsters, but since they haven't been releasing updates to the previous DQ games, I doubt that will happen.

One nice upgrade that no one seems to be talking about so far is the Party AI.  No other version of DQ3 has had this, and it has been begging for this feature since DQ4 on the NES.  Normal battles have always been so cumbersome when you have to define everyone's moves in every turn of every battle.  It wouldn't be so bad if you had a full line of Fighters or something, but for a more typical party:

Round 1:

Hero --> Attack --> Monster A

Fighter --> Attack --> Monster B

Priest --> Spells --> Heal --> Hero

Mage --> Spells --> Page 2 --> Page 3 --> Frizz --> Monster C

Round 2:

Fighter --> Attack --> Monster C

Priest --> Spells --> Heal --> Mage

Mage --> Spells --> Page 2 --> Page 3 --> Crack --> Monster D

etc....

I would find myself getting lazy and just having my mage and priest attack, even if it does less damage because I can't be bothered to go through all those menu options just for fighting some horny hares horny_hare.png

Now, it's just:

Round 1:

Round 2:

Ahhh, much better.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget they also changed the opening music, and they removed the opening movie showing Ortega's sacrifice (maybe that's why they wrote in "child named Ortega").

One nice upgrade that no one seems to be talking about so far is the Party AI.  No other version of DQ3 has had this, and it has been begging for this feature since DQ4 on the NES.  Normal battles have always been so cumbersome when you have to define everyone's moves in every turn of every battle.

Yeah, but then you can't Parry/Attack.  Remember that?  Parry, B, Attack, Repeat...except for the last guy in your party, he's just screwed.

Ugh, AI. What a waste of MP.

• Upvote 1

True.