Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

Psych appointment today, career fair tomorrow, ortho on Wednesday. Busy week.

12 hours ago, Twinkie said:

House almost caught on fire. The outlet for our dryer caught on fire, and we didn't even have the dryer on for a couple days. Ended up having the fire department show up to examine it to make sure everything is alright. Going to have an electrician look into it tomorrow. Plugs are easily replaceable for dryers, just hope it is salvageable.

Hopefully it isn't anything too bad.

4 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

That's pretty scary. My wife and I put in an offer for a house over the weekend so now the waiting game begins. It was a nice way to spend our anniversary.

Best of luck!

Posted (edited)

Yesterday some friends and I dropped into Goodwill to find a gag gift. Found a DVD of Gulliver's Travels starring Jack Black...in Russian!

This Goodwill had pilot jackets and pilot shirts. Cheap, too. This got me thinking. For only $30, I could never pay for a plane ticket again! I can just walk through security. Hop on a plane. Maybe even fly the plane if I wanna. It's just like driving a really long car, right? Figured it would at least get me into the pilot lounge. It worked for Leonardo DiCaprio in Catch Me If You Can. It was based on a true story and the only reason that guy got arrested was for forgery.

There was also a staff shirt for The Cheesecake Factory. Also highly beneficial. All you need is some black pants, walk into the back, and say, "I need some more bread!"

Edited by Dwaine

8 hours ago, Democrobot said:

Hopefully it isn't anything too bad.

It turned out pretty well. I had an electrician show up this afternoon to replace the outlet and change the cord to the dryer. Fortunately the dryer was saved in the process. I am $165 poorer, but all things considered I lucked out.

12 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

That's pretty scary. My wife and I put in an offer for a house over the weekend so now the waiting game begins. It was a nice way to spend our anniversary.

Awesome! Wish you the best of luck!

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Good luck!

18 hours ago, Democrobot said:

Best of luck!

10 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Awesome! Wish you the best of luck!

Thank you all. We're in the negotiating phase now and it seems like everyone has agreed upon some numbers. Big step in my life but I'm excited about it. I've been a nervous wreck all day.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

Since we're having a homeowners discussion here: turns out that our hosepipe has been running water into our backyard for like a month now.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Also on the topic of homeowners I met with a property management company that is hiring. Low odds but we can hope!

So...we got the house! The inspection is tomorrow and closing is mid September so we'll be moving in before October.

• Like 1

My mom and her boyfriend just got a nice house. Relatively big, too. I'm happy for her.

• Like 1

This was one of the best days I’ve had in a quite a while, or I guess Wednesday was since I’m technically posting this on Thursday. Had a really good time at the Iowa State Fair, got to meet our founding father of the Dragon’s Den. @Woodus, in person at long last, and finally got to see Gabriel Iglesias in person at the Grandstands for his show this evening. Meeting Woodus in person and having someone to bounce back some Dragon Quest related jokes/comments with in person was awesome, got plenty of tasty fair food, saw a lot of cool stuff, and Gabriel’s show was absolutely hilarious. It was all new material with some fan favorite stories at the very end, and he ended up going 30 minutes his planned show time!

This was probably the best State Fair trip I’ve had in the last few years. Great, great day!

21 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

My mom and her boyfriend just got a nice house. Relatively big, too. I'm happy for her.

You're welcome to visit any time.

Just uh...call first.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

This was one of the best days I’ve had in a quite a while, or I guess Wednesday was since I’m technically posting this on Thursday. Had a really good time at the Iowa State Fair, got to meet our founding father of the Dragon’s Den. @Woodus, in person at long last, and finally got to see Gabriel Iglesias in person at the Grandstands for his show this evening. Meeting Woodus in person and having someone to bounce back some Dragon Quest related jokes/comments with in person was awesome, got plenty of tasty fair food, saw a lot of cool stuff, and Gabriel’s show was absolutely hilarious. It was all new material with some fan favorite stories at the very end, and he ended up going 30 minutes his planned show time!

This was probably the best State Fair trip I’ve had in the last few years. Great, great day!

Yeah it was a good time walking around, checking out the sights and chatting about DQ. Glad your concert went well and it didn't rain :)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, DrippySlimeStar said:

So...we got the house! The inspection is tomorrow and closing is mid September so we'll be moving in before October.

The inspection went well. We went to a brewery down the road for dinner and I took a 4 pack home...and had one too many. Thank god for Advil and bacon, egg, & cheese sandwiches from Dunkins.

• Like 1

I got an offer to move to Mallorca

Posted (edited)

My newest gaming soundtrack was waiting in the mail when I got home from work this evening: the original soundtrack to Mario Kart 8.

I was really impressed with the music quality when I first played MK8 via a friend’s copy, and over the last few years I’ve been meaning to buy it. With me getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for my birthday, I figured it was time to finally get the soundtrack once and for all.

I’m pretty stoked to be able to listen to it wherever now.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Via email from a Nairobian princess in exile?

Posted (edited)

At Fan Expo Boston for the day. The first thing I did was get into Dan Slott’s line to get some books signed because the last time I tried to get into his line at a convention, it was just after Peter Parker came back and the wait was ridiculous. I succeeded in meeting him today and he signed ASM #655, which got me into reading modern comics. Dude was really friendly. Met a couple other artists but that was probably the most significant.

More in line with this forum’s interests, I did also met the voice of Zelda in Breath of the Wild and she signed my Wii U copy!

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, eal said:

At Fan Expo Boston for the day. The first thing I did was get into Dan Slott’s line to get some books signed because the last time I tried to get into his line at a convention, it was just after Peter Parker came back and the wait was ridiculous. I succeeded in meeting him today and he signed ASM #655, which got me into reading modern comics. Dude was really friendly. Met a couple other artists but that was probably the most significant.

More in line with this forum’s interests, I did also met the voice of Zelda in Breath of the Wild and she signed my Wii U copy!

I wanted to go to that with my wife but totally forgot about it. Super jealous Zelda signed your game!

14 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I wanted to go to that with my wife but totally forgot about it. Super jealous Zelda signed your game!

There’s one more day left! You can still go! It was great for me as a comic fan. Got a lot of autographs, met a lot of pros whose work I enjoy. I got into a lot of weird lines. One of the strangest was a few editors for an up-and-coming comic book company asked a pro I was waiting to meet if they wanted to work for them. I was in Steve Rude’s line and I’m second in line when another pro comes up to him and they start chatting like old friends for like 15 minutes. When he left, Steve Rude tells us how great a man this guy is and he wants all the best for him, which was pretty nice to hear, honestly. Also, he tells us Howard Chaykin apparently doesn’t like to be called Howie.

I noticed a lot of pros are starting to charge for comics. Usually they’ll be gracious and offer 2-5 for free and charge from then on, but sometimes it’s $5 for every signature. I get it. A lot of people get signatures of dozens of comics at a time with the intention of getting them graded and selling them for a profit, so charging cuts down the number of books people come up to them with and also lets the writers and artists get a cut of that, if these people are just going to try to make money off their signatures.

However, if that’s the case, it’s not working. I was in a line where a guy got at least a dozen comics signed with the intention of getting them graded (so there was also a witness for CGC observing them). And not just some $4 comic either. Like, $15-45 special variants sold on artist’s websites and at cons. This particular artist charges extra for signatures for CGC comics. I wouldn’t be shocked if that stack cost him, between CGC fees, the cost of the books, and the cost of the signatures, a couple hundred dollars.

(One of these days I’m gonna disparage a reseller online and someone’s gonna be like, “Hey, that was me!” lol)

15 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
On 8/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, Democrobot said:

Via email from a Nairobian princess in exile?

Actually my friend is a pilot for Transavia and has a residence there that is almost always empty.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

My newest gaming soundtrack was waiting in the mail when I got home from work this evening: the original soundtrack to Mario Kart 8.

I was really impressed with the music quality when I first played MK8 via a friend’s copy, and over the last few years I’ve been meaning to buy it. With me getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for my birthday, I figured it was time to finally get the soundtrack once and for all.

I’m pretty stoked to be able to listen to it wherever now.

I’m happy to say that disc one sounds great from the soundtrack. I was afraid it was going to be damaged/scratch in my iTunes library when it played because it looked like there were some scuffs on the disc. Everything checked out for the soundtrack being official and I figured it would be fine, but still, glad all the music plays ok on disc 1.

I like how they handled the music with different renditions on the race tracks. For example, on the Cloudtop Cruise track, it plays the regular version twice and then, in a third loop, you wind up hearing the rock version that plays in the storm cloud area of the track. Another example is the Music Park track, where on loop two it mixes in the piano, xylophone, marimba, and timpani drum sections at different parts. It’s really cool they did that.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eal said:

There’s one more day left! You can still go! It was great for me as a comic fan. Got a lot of autographs, met a lot of pros whose work I enjoy. I got into a lot of weird lines. One of the strangest was a few editors for an up-and-coming comic book company asked a pro I was waiting to meet if they wanted to work for them. I was in Steve Rude’s line and I’m second in line when another pro comes up to him and they start chatting like old friends for like 15 minutes. When he left, Steve Rude tells us how great a man this guy is and he wants all the best for him, which was pretty nice to hear, honestly. Also, he tells us Howard Chaykin apparently doesn’t like to be called Howie.

I noticed a lot of pros are starting to charge for comics. Usually they’ll be gracious and offer 2-5 for free and charge from then on, but sometimes it’s $5 for every signature. I get it. A lot of people get signatures of dozens of comics at a time with the intention of getting them graded and selling them for a profit, so charging cuts down the number of books people come up to them with and also lets the writers and artists get a cut of that, if these people are just going to try to make money off their signatures.

However, if that’s the case, it’s not working. I was in a line where a guy got at least a dozen comics signed with the intention of getting them graded (so there was also a witness for CGC observing them). And not just some $4 comic either. Like, $15-45 special variants sold on artist’s websites and at cons. This particular artist charges extra for signatures for CGC comics. I wouldn’t be shocked if that stack cost him, between CGC fees, the cost of the books, and the cost of the signatures, a couple hundred dollars.

(One of these days I’m gonna disparage a reseller online and someone’s gonna be like, “Hey, that was me!” lol)

If we were to go it would be to meet the Boy Meets World cast for my wife lol. I'm more of a PAX guy and comics/pop culture aren't my thing so $50 a ticket to maybe get to buy something from a video game vendor and $175 for a photo opp with the BMW cast is something I was not on board for.

Actually my friend is a pilot for Transavia and has a residence there that is almost always empty.
That's pretty cool! Also pretty remote. Sounds like a nice place to visit.

17 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
23 hours ago, Democrobot said:

That's pretty cool! Also pretty remote. Sounds like a nice place to visit.

I'm quite intrigued by the offer. I'm definitely tempted.

Posted (edited)

In the middle of getting my Dragon Quest tattoo. Will update with pictures later. 

Edit: woohoo!

IMG_10081.jpg

• Like 2

That looks awesome! :thumbsup:

• Like 1