Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

Just beat The Last of Us. Wow. Just wow.

Hi im still alive

lots of stuff changing in my life. Some for the better, some not so much. I try to focus on the good nowdays though

anyways still playing video game when I can muster the will. Ultima III Exodus is a really good game, play it if you can. You can kinda see where the Dragon Quest spark came from

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2019 at 4:34 PM, Fates said:

Hi im still alive

lots of stuff changing in my life. Some for the better, some not so much. I try to focus on the good nowdays though

anyways still playing video game when I can muster the will. Ultima III Exodus is a really good game, play it if you can. You can kinda see where the Dragon Quest spark came from

I used to have the NES version of Exodus. Game was pretty bad in my opinion, but had a kick-ass soundtrack.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Saw Detective Pikachu. Good movie.

Thought I'd give you folks an update on my special friend the "free hugs" guy.

Originally I wasn't going to go to the convention. $60 for a pass and we get Chelsea Cain? C'mon, Houston. But then I realized I have to go. My boy needs his hug! This year was a special year. It's our five year hugaversary! I was going get shirts made of him. Hot pink with his picture drawn in his typical togs, but his face like All-Might's. It's on my Instagram. Sadly, all the printing places had a minimum order of 12. My best friend said to get a bunch printed and hand them out for free. (Next year...) Instead I drew a horrifying picture of us in yaoi style.

I was speaking to another artist when my friend texted me with a pic and said, "Is this him?" I immediately stopped and ran back to the other side! Caught up with him and said hi. He was very confused. Then I showed him the picture. The fear in that poor young man's eyes... He went on his way and I saw him a couple hours later. I showed him the shirt and he smiled. I'll win him over yet. Before I left I saw him walk by and I yelled, "Haaaaaay! ...I'm gon' get that hug!"

He probably thinks I'm a legit stalker now. It's all in good fun. So what should I do for next year? The shirt? Dress up AS him? Or make some body pillows. One of him and one of me. I can give him the one of me so we can hug each other every day!

Spoiler

Saw Chelsea Cain walking around. She looks like a legit crazy person. It's the eyes. That probably sounds mean, but she hates me what with being a part of the patriarchy and all.

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

She looks like a legit crazy person. It's the eyes.

Are we talking Judge Doom crazy eyes?

7 hours ago, Dwaine said:

Originally I wasn't going to go to the convention. $60 for a pass and we get Chelsea Cain? C'mon, Houston. 

I know it’s a gag but out of curiosity I googled who was there and you guys had Chris Claremont, Gerry Conway, Dan Jurgens, Jae Lee and Neal Adams. Even some minor artists that I would’ve liked to meet like Garry Brown and Leslie Hung.

1 hour ago, eal said:

I know it’s a gag but out of curiosity I googled who was there and you guys had Chris Claremont, Gerry Conway, Dan Jurgens, Jae Lee and Neal Adams. Even some minor artists that I would’ve liked to meet like Garry Brown and Leslie Hung.

The lineup is significantly weaker this year. The talent you mentioned are the best, but those folks are also at conventions all the time. Most of, maybe all of them have been to Houston or a neighboring city before. Adams and Claremont particularly - conventions and store signings. Hung was with the Felix Comic Art agency. Last year they brought Skottie Young, and Ryan Ottley. Nick Piterra was also with them last year, but I'm kinda used to seeing him since he used to live here! Compared to literally every other convention in the state this year, Comicpalooza didn't have enough talent to justify the price. Plus they held off on guest announcements while they continually jacked up prices. It's one thing to build hype, but that's shady. There's stronger talent in the artist alley. Many of them local to the state. There's a also an issue with that, because of how they run the artist alley they make it nigh impossible for anyone new to get in. Great for the good talent because it always guarantees them a spot if they want to come back. Bad because of the movie still tracers and splatter fill artists who buy multiple tables and endcaps.

I've been waiting for years for Comicpalooza to get it together. It's not a new convention anymore. There's no excuse. They're tied to the tourism bureau, so they make sure there are practically no competing conventions. The artists I know have been saying for years they haven't been doing well here and are more successful at other conventions. I could go on about that, but I'm sure it would be long and boring.

Are we talking Judge Doom crazy eyes?

Crazier.

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

The lineup is significantly weaker this year. The talent you mentioned are the best, but those folks are also at conventions all the time. Most of, maybe all of them have been to Houston or a neighboring city before. Adams and Claremont particularly - conventions and store signings. Hung was with the Felix Comic Art agency. Last year they brought Skottie Young, and Ryan Ottley. Nick Piterra was also with them last year, but I'm kinda used to seeing him since he used to live here! Compared to literally every other convention in the state this year, Comicpalooza didn't have enough talent to justify the price. Plus they held off on guest announcements while they continually jacked up prices. It's one thing to build hype, but that's shady. There's stronger talent in the artist alley. Many of them local to the state. There's a also an issue with that, because of how they run the artist alley they make it nigh impossible for anyone new to get in. Great for the good talent because it always guarantees them a spot if they want to come back. Bad because of the movie still tracers and splatter fill artists who buy multiple tables and endcaps.

I've been waiting for years for Comicpalooza to get it together. It's not a new convention anymore. There's no excuse. They're tied to the tourism bureau, so they make sure there are practically no competing conventions. The artists I know have been saying for years they haven't been doing well here and are more successful at other conventions. I could go on about that, but I'm sure it would be long and boring.

Crazier.

The two conventions closest to me, Boston and Rhode Island Comic Con, don’t usually have good talent either. Boston tries to be a Jack of Alltrades but ends up instead being a Master of Nu’un with their guests. One or two superstar creators, a couple well known ones, and then some local artists. Last year they had John Byrne but then he didn’t end up being there on the day I went despite advertising he would be. And the year prior to that was Stan Lee’s final East Coast convention appearance. Rhode Island dumps all their money into TV and movie stars and gets almost nobody in comics.

However, Boston’s got some strong names announced so far this year. Mike Mignola, Gail Simone, Arthur Adams, Charles Soule, Frank Cho, Clayton Crain (even though I think he charges for autographs...), and Jeff Dekal. Last year they had I think Donny Cates, Tony Moore, John Byrne, Clayton Crain, and Ed McGuinness but that’s not as impressive to me (Donny Cates only had maybe 4 issues of Venom out at the time). Maybe Neal Adams was there too because he’s at every convention in the US now?

When I go to Chicago every year, C2E2 packs the convention with names. Ryan Stegman drew a quick sketch of Mary Jane for me on a blank cover last year actually! I’m annoyed that I didn’t go this year because they had a bunch of people I would’ve loved to have seen. 

I'm glad they have the movie and TV stars. They certainly bring people in. A lot of them enjoy going to conventions and meeting fans. I've read lots of nice things about certain folks in the convention rating and management groups. It's all about striking the right balance. Comicpalooza has the Animaniacs cast, which is awesome. If they had that with stronger comic talent, I would've paid for a badge for sure.

Jump on Boston. That's a great lineup! Even last year. Sometimes creators will sign one thing for free and charge $10-20 For each item after that. When Greg Capullo was here a few years ago, he signed for free and there were dudes who brought MULTIPLE long boxes. Don't forget Donny Cates had God Country, Redneck, Baby Teeth, and Doctor Strange before Venom. He was going to be here two years ago, but cancelled. There's got to be something up with the Comicpalooza management, because he lives in San Antonio and does practically every Texas convention. I hear it's really slow today, which doesn't bode well for the convention as a whole. With the holiday tomorrow there's bound to be a dip in attendance too. It sucks. My friends do great work and I want them to succeed!

I remember one year I went to meet Rick Remender to get a Venom comic signed by him and the line was nuts. I was in it for maybe an hour or so. I talked to some nice people so it was fine, but word up the grapevine was that it was taking so long because someone dumped like a massive pile of comics on his table for him to sign. I see that stuff at conventions all the time, guys carting around shortboxes of comics, literally on a cart, full of dozens of comics for each artist in artist alley. It bothers me because it holds up the line. I’ll never forget being in Greg Rucka’s line and seeing a dude just stack dozens of graphic novels onto his table, pulling out more and more, and Rucka just looked so miserable the whole time he was doing it. Then the very next person to come up was an incredibly excited fan dressed as Batwoman and she wanted a picture with him and his face just absolutely lit up and his mood completely turned around.

As for Donny Cates, I was reading, and enjoying, Dr. Strange but it wasn’t like something that got me super stoked about Donny Cates. I actually remember being annoyed that they rebooted Venom to #1 again after making a big deal about his legacy numbering. And you didn’t really get a sense that Cates’s Venom run was going to be the biggest deal until the issue where you got Knull’s origin.

I’m also not against artists getting paid for signatures. My dad’s favorite gift I’ve ever given him was a print of the Superman vs. Muhammad Ali cover I bought at Neal Adam’s booth and I got signed by him, and it ended up being like $40 altogether or something. But that was a print that I bought, not a comic I brought with me. It just sometimes seems like it’s tied to the grading and speculating culture of modern comics. I actually got a signature from Ed McGuinness at last year’s convention but he offered free signatures with your name or $10 without the name. My view is that a comic won’t sell as well with someone’s name as a part of the signature and that’s why it was free if you got it signed that way. It was sort of a “speculator’s tax,” if you will. I don’t fault him or anything, it was just a sign of the times. I know Declan Shalvey made a big thing about how he was specifically not going to sign comics going to CGC anymore. And that’s what I was thinking when I saw that Clayton Crain charged for signatures.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, Democrobot said:

Saw Detective Pikachu. Good movie.

I saw it too. Best movie I've seen in years I loved it. It got me really excited for the upcoming Mewtwo movie.

Applied to a Costco job and I have a guy on the inside so here's to hoping. I think I'm going to get a property management license

• Like 1

I’m going to put my job complaining in spoilers, so ignore it everyone. Just need to vent.

Spoiler

I’m still having mixed opinions on my new job. The work itself isn’t a problem, it’s the #$*!ing lack of training they’ve given me. Yet the new part timer who was there for his 3rd day of work got all kinds of training help from the other manager who was there. And yet I, a new full time assistant manager at the store, has gotten jack squat for training unless I ask! You would think they’d actually give the full time guy an entire rundown in the first few days he had been at the job instead of feeling like he’s learning every damn thing piece by piece!!! God, this job is such a mixed bag it’s starting to drive me nuts. 

Other than that, I got my mom a nice Mother’s Day gift. Several family members went out to my grandparents and we had breakfast with my grandma, so it was a good time. She seemed happy we came out and surprised her.

Technically I graduated in January from my college in London. But the diploma took forever to arrive. So I did a whole phitoshoot today of the mail arriving/my graduation. Did the program online so I took some shots "around campus" in my favorite study spots. 94ad54773cbfac76f9654e9943205524.jpg896413fe3f32330811aecebaeb6f349e.jpg284ae733bb82d0303ae33a8cd08e4d8d.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Technically I graduated in January from my college in London. But the diploma took forever to arrive. So I did a whole phitoshoot today of the mail arriving/my graduation. Did the program online so I took some shots "around campus" in my favorite study spots. 94ad54773cbfac76f9654e9943205524.jpg896413fe3f32330811aecebaeb6f349e.jpg284ae733bb82d0303ae33a8cd08e4d8d.jpg

These photos are beautiful. 10/10 IGN

• Like 1

Say hi to Sancho

D6fTd7cUwAAy7cX.jpg

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

@eal seems like a good thing you picked up a Switch.  You might get the next chapter in the series you missed out on when it got cancelled last year: https://gematsu.com/2019/05/omega-labyrinth-life-for-switch-launches-alongside-censored-labyrinth-life-for-ps4-on-august-1-in-japan

We’ve been getting some of the weirdest games from Japan lately on Switch, including Senran Kagura Relexions, which is literally just poking and prodding Senran Kagura girls.

• Like 1

We’ve been getting some of the weirdest games from Japan lately on Switch, including Senran Kagura Relexions, which is literally just poking and prodding Senran Kagura girls.
That doesn't sound relaxing for the girls.

27 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Not to mention embarrassing for the girls if the person playing the Switch is out in public with the system.

33 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
34 minutes ago, eal said:

That’s how weebs like it.

I just woke from a dream in which Reggie Fils-Aime delivered a piping hot stuffed crust pepperoni pizza to "my" house, saw me playing Crash Team Racing, and pulled out his Switch to play an early build of CTR Nitro Fueled with me.

If only pizza still came with game demos.

Posted (edited)

Mostly just getting old, but also playing some DQ Builders, and trying to fish between these waves of ridiculous rainstorms we've been having the last couple months. 

I got pushed up to a desk job recently, so that means less overtime, which means more fishing and gaming time with my boy.

Edited by zcm

I have the entire weekend off, which I’m thankful for since I was sick all last week and early this week. Had a day off on Wednesday, but didn’t have much time to relax since I had errands that day. So I was pretty happy to have a full weekend off.

Been taking it easy today. Got to enjoy some good food on the grill for lunch before the stormy weather kicked in again, made homemade punch, and finally managed to finish off Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon and platinum all three games in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

spacer.png

Really enjoyed the trilogy, and after playing through it my favorites still go Ripto’s Rage, the original, and then Year of the Dragon. All three are as fun as I remember and I’m glad I finally got the trilogy.

Tomorrow will be a good day too. I’m going to a Harry Potter music concert in the afternoon with my mom as a late Mother’s Day celebration since I had to work all day on Mother’s Day, and we’re planning on checking out one of the local restaurants that’s downtown in the city the concert is at. Should be a fun Sunday!