What's New With You?

I made the Switch today.
Whatcha using the $35 on?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
2 hours ago, eal said:
I made the Switch today.

Whatcha using the $35 on?

Initially it was gonna be Deemo. I was hoping the controller support would make it feel better. I really wanna like the actual gameplay as much as I do the songs. But then I saw it had a physical version recently, and then I downloaded the demo and it didn’t feel that much better and so I threw that out the window and now I dunno. I’d prefer to use digital money on a digital-only game. Maybe Gris, now that I think about it.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

I picked up Dragon ball FighterZ for Switch a couple of weeks ago but didn't realize how much fun it was until a buddy of mine came over to play it with me tonight. Its actually pretty great

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, AustNerevar said:

I picked up Dragon ball FighterZ for Switch a couple of weeks ago but didn't realize how much fun it was until a buddy of mine came over to play it with me tonight. Its actually pretty great

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the DB FighterZ party. It’s a good time.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bururian said:

Apparently all that FF8 in the book is, as per this amazon review:

"No early designs, nothing behind the scenes, just artwork and character bios "

On the one hand that’s too bad, but on the other it’s a game sandwiched between two of the more well known entries of the series.

They should have made more of an attempt for equal content amongst the 3 games since they share one book, but it is what it is. I can’t properly judge it until I get a copy.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I finally finished reading Watchmen. I was surprised by who the Mask Killer was. Overall I really enjoyed the series. I’ve never been much of a comic fan, but Watchmen was one I was interested in reading for the longest time. It was a good read from start to finish, and it had some surprise moments as well as some pretty intense/dark ones too. I can’t help but ponder on the last few pages of chapter 12 on what the future holds for the Watchmen Universe and what became of the main cast and other elements of the story, but at the same time I’m glad some of it is left up to reader interpretation. I honestly prefer it when pieces of fiction (regardless of the genre) do that.

I guess since it’s the only comic series I’ve read it’s my favorite now. A really good read all around. I’ll have to re-read it in the future, maybe as an October read along with my Edgar Allan Poe stuff. I’m thinking of looking into the Killing Joke next, or something a bit similar to Watchmen, or just a single book that contains all the stories of a series. I’m open to suggestions @eal.

7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I finally finished reading Watchmen. I was surprised by who the Mask Killer was. Overall I really enjoyed the series. I’ve never been much of a comic fan, but Watchmen was one I was interested in reading for the longest time. It was a good read from start to finish, and it had some surprise moments as well as some pretty intense/dark ones too. I can’t help but ponder on the last few pages of chapter 12 on what the future holds for the Watchmen Universe and what became of the main cast and other elements of the story, but at the same time I’m glad some of it is left up to reader interpretation. I honestly prefer it when pieces of fiction (regardless of the genre) do that.

I guess since it’s the only comic series I’ve read it’s my favorite now. A really good read all around. I’ll have to re-read it in the future, maybe as an October read along with my Edgar Allan Poe stuff. I’m thinking of looking into the Killing Joke next, or something a bit similar to Watchmen, or just a single book that contains all the stories of a series. I’m open to suggestions @eal.

Killing Joke is usually what comes next for new comic readers after Watchmen, seeing as it’s from the some author. Then people typically read The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller or any of those other renowned Batman stories. As a somewhat unusual recommendation, I’d also say Miracleman, also by Alan Moore (although he’s credited as The Original Author in the Marvel Comics reprints), since it’s probably his most similar to Watchmen, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m thinking of looking into the Killing Joke next, or something a bit similar to Watchmen, or just a single book that contains all the stories of a series. I’m open to suggestions

If that's the case, I highly recommend Chuck Austen's run on X-Men.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, eal said:

Killing Joke is usually what comes next for new comic readers after Watchmen, seeing as it’s from the some author. Then people typically read The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller or any of those other renowned Batman stories. As a somewhat unusual recommendation, I’d also say Miracleman, also by Alan Moore (although he’s credited as The Original Author in the Marvel Comics reprints), since it’s probably his most similar to Watchmen, in my opinion.

That’s funny, because a co-worker (the one who lent me Watchmen in the first place) also recommended Miracleman. I’ll have to see if it’s at Barnes & Noble next time I go there. They usually have Killing Joke, so that one I know I can find. Thanks for the suggestions.

4 hours ago, Dwaine said:

If that's the case, I highly recommend Chuck Austen's run on X-Men.

Okay, I’ll look into that. Thanks for your suggestion too. Is there a compilation book of his run by chance?

Would either of recommend V for Vendetta? I see Alan Moore was behind that.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That’s funny, because a co-worker (the one who lent me Watchmen in the first place) also recommended Miracleman. I’ll have to see if it’s at Barnes & Noble next time I go there. They usually have Killing Joke, so that one I know I can find. Thanks for the suggestions.

Would either of recommend V for Vendetta? I see Alan Moore was behind that.

Miracleman technically had an ending, but there was a continuation by Neil Gaiman called the the Silver Years that has been famously unfinished, with plans to continue maybe this year but who knows at this point. Miracleman was like three books under Alan Moore.

As for V for Vendetta, it never appealed to me so I never read it, and Anonymous and general cringey neckbeards co-opting the mask turned me off even more.

Oh! Definitely check out Convergence Flashpoint and Ultimatum!

1 hour ago, eal said:

Miracleman technically had an ending, but there was a continuation by Neil Gaiman called the the Silver Years that has been famously unfinished, with plans to continue maybe this year but who knows at this point. Miracleman was like three books under Alan Moore.

As for V for Vendetta, it never appealed to me so I never read it, and Anonymous and general cringey neckbeards co-opting the mask turned me off even more.

Interesting. I’m surprised Gaiman never finished, but I’ll look into the books Alan Moore was apart of. And if Gaimen does finish this year, I’ll check out his work. I’ve read a few of his books (Coraline, the Graveyard Book, etc.) and I’ve liked most of what I’ve read of his work.

I know cringe stuff is usually related to that damn mask from V for Vendetta (and I could see what it would turn people off from the source) but it’s $13 for a new paperback copy and it seems like a good deal provided it’s a good story.

58 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Oh! Definitely check out Convergence Flashpoint and Ultimatum!

One of my first comics when I began reading regularly was Fear Itself, and if I could read that surely there’s a chance some new reader will like those.

57 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Interesting. I’m surprised Gaiman never finished, but I’ll look into the books Alan Moore was apart of. And if Gaimen does finish this year, I’ll check out his work. I’ve read a few of his books (Coraline, the Graveyard Book, etc.) and I’ve liked most of what I’ve read of his work.

I know cringe stuff is usually related to that damn mask from V for Vendetta (and I could see what it would turn people off from the source) but it’s $13 for a new paperback copy and it seems like a good deal provided it’s a good story.

It’s infamously unfinished because, after the original publisher of the character went out of business there was a lawsuit between Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane (of Spawn fame) over the rights to the character! Neil Gaiman wrote an alternate universe mini-series for Marvel called 1602 and used the profits from it to help fund his legal battle.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, eal said:

One of my first comics when I began reading regularly was Fear Itself, and if I could read that surely there’s a chance some new reader will like those.

It’s infamously unfinished because, after the original publisher of the character went out of business there was a lawsuit between Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane (of Spawn fame) over the rights to the character! Neil Gaiman wrote an alternate universe mini-series for Marvel called 1602 and used the profits from it to help fund his legal battle.

Huh. That’s actually kind of interesting. I wasn’t expecting that to be the reason, but I’ll look it up and see what the whole story is.

Anyway, I’m thinking that, from what you and Dwaine told me, I’ll start with Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns. Both are pretty cheap on Amazon for a new copy, so when I get paid Friday I’ll put on an order for those two.

Also, while not comic related, I’m going to order The Complete Maus as well. I read both graphic novels in college for my Law and Literature class thanks to my teacher lending me her copies. Both books were very interesting reads and made for plenty of discussion points for a discussion paper I had to write.

I found out yesterday that the soundtracks to the three Dark Souls games released to iTunes/digital download back on February 28th of this year. I have been hoping for a long while to officially get the music to the series instead of relying on YouTube, so I’m happy From Software and Namco FINALLY made it happen. It’s very much appreciated.

These YouTube ads are getting so bizarre.

4A4B0C3C-3FE7-4D53-875D-876EA37D16C7.jpeg.859f4aaf16fd457f3639eafdbc28d9ad.jpeg

1 hour ago, eal said:

These YouTube ads are getting so bizarre.

4A4B0C3C-3FE7-4D53-875D-876EA37D16C7.jpeg.859f4aaf16fd457f3639eafdbc28d9ad.jpeg

This is one of the reasons I use an ad blocker the other reason is malvertising. 

53 minutes ago, ethanej said:

This is one of the reasons I use an ad blocker the other reason is malvertising. 

I don’t believe there’s a mobile ad-blocker so that wouldn’t be much jelly to me, but I could be wrong. Even so, I would never wanna block these ads. Nothing’s funnier than playing a 40 minute video and listening to it through my car stereo and getting an ad for those shitty Hooked apps, which are stories told through text messages, and hearing bad actors saying corny dialogue for a minute or two. Or seeing all the new mobile games with crazy premises or featuring no-name Youtubers playing them and acting like they’re so deep in content and gameplay mechanics.

For reference, I’m not signed in and I have search and watch history paused so I can’t imagine advertising can be targeted directly to me, and if it was, I’m not watching stuff that matches with the ads I get. So the idea that, like, my dad could be turning on YouTube and having to watch an anime mobile app ad before a video is hilarious to me.

Spring Break is turning into a semi-bummer.

My youngest got a pretty bad double ear infection two days before we were to leave and had a 103 fever the morning we were going to take off. Ended up canceling and doing a staycation instead (lots to bribe the older kid with around Orlando - Disney, SeaWorld,...). Then Sunday I got the first ear infection I can recall in 25 years. Two days later and it's still occasionally a real #$*!. Pain/itching in my ear that spreads down the side of my face into my teeth and neck. I wanted to claw my cheek off before dinner tonight. The kid is better, but damn if this isn't the fun, relaxing week in the mountains we'd planned for months.

I'm alive.

Brother has moved out, dad moved back in for a while, and I started new medication that is really strong. Had a baby tooth removed a few days back so I've been kinda out of it for... almost 3 weeks. Oh yeah and I have high liver enzymes.

In other life news after speaking with some people in the gaming industry... it probably won't work out due to financial reasons so I need another backup plan for the meantime.

• Like 1

I did my annual trip to Chicago and just returned.

I skipped C2E2 to see Jenny Lewis in concert and her bus broke down the day of her show and was canceled...

Still, there was some fun to be had. I saw Us, which I’ll talk about in the movie thread, went to a cool arcade across from Wrigley Field and got to play that new House of the Dead game there (I enjoyed it so much I got the 2 & 3 collection for Wii at a used game store a few days later).

Niftiest part of the week was going to Catcade, a small arcade that mostly acts as a rescue shelter for cats! You can pet and play with these cats and adopt them if you’d like to. Every cat there was incredibly docile and relaxed. They either napped or roamed around or played with you. None of them reacted badly to your touch and they weren’t bothered by anything you did. If you find yourself in that city, it’s a place to consider visiting if you like cats.

I’d also say what salvaged the trip along with Catcade was getting to see Saturday Night Live: The Experience, on the last day. It’s an exhibit inside a museum where they guide you through each day of the process that goes into producing an episode of SNL and includes documents you can read through glass displays, costumes, and a few set pieces (I got a picture on a couch in a Wayne’s World recreated set). Only thing that blew was that a picture at the Weekend Update desk was locked behind paid DLC (you could only get a professional picture, not a picture from your phone).

Not the week I was expecting but one I enjoyed nonetheless.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I feel like this is a good clip to describe how today went:

• Like 1

I did my annual trip to Chicago and just returned.
I skipped C2E2 to see Jenny Lewis in concert and her bus broke down the day of her show and was canceled...

Damn. Similarly my wife and I were going to talk the kids to the Orlando Apollos AAF football game Saturday. We'd watched every minute of the 8 week old league and Orlando was clearly tops in the league. Then they go and fold the f*ing league Tuesday. Damn billionaires! The owner can go straight to somewhere really really shitty.

To console ourselves over no more football, my wife and I got a Nintendo Switch. About a year before I'd planned to, but a couple of things sped up the timeline.

1. Bought a Raspberry Pi with 4 controllers and like 10,000 games from a dozen consoles. Tried it for 2 months with wife and kids. You know what we discovered? We're all past NES and SNES days. None of us enjoyed it.

2. Wife unexpectedly got $150 for doing a random phone survey.

3. We were dying to play Mario Kart and Mario Party with our kids.

So, Thursday night the search on Facebook marketplace began. Ended up messaging a young lady about 1.5 hours away and she agreed to drive 30 mins closer to us. Got: 8 month old Switch in mint condition, box and all wires immaculate and coiled up, Let's Go Pikachu, Splatoon 2, a Zelda extra controller, all for $300. Then met a guy driving home for an unopened SSB for $40. All in all a good haul. Got it all connected and got Twitch Prime from Amazon Prime and a year of free Nintendo Online. Also ordered Mario Kart and Mario Party. We should be good for quite a while. Plattym4 is already better at SSB than me.

I got a new job. I’ll be starting at the end of this month so I can finish my two weeks at my current job. I’ve been looking for new work since my current job has been stingy on hours, so I’m glad my search has finally ended in success.

• Like 2