I remember one year I went to meet Rick Remender to get a Venom comic signed by him and the line was nuts. I was in it for maybe an hour or so. I talked to some nice people so it was fine, but word up the grapevine was that it was taking so long because someone dumped like a massive pile of comics on his table for him to sign. I see that stuff at conventions all the time, guys carting around shortboxes of comics, literally on a cart, full of dozens of comics for each artist in artist alley. It bothers me because it holds up the line. I’ll never forget being in Greg Rucka’s line and seeing a dude just stack dozens of graphic novels onto his table, pulling out more and more, and Rucka just looked so miserable the whole time he was doing it. Then the very next person to come up was an incredibly excited fan dressed as Batwoman and she wanted a picture with him and his face just absolutely lit up and his mood completely turned around.

As for Donny Cates, I was reading, and enjoying, Dr. Strange but it wasn’t like something that got me super stoked about Donny Cates. I actually remember being annoyed that they rebooted Venom to #1 again after making a big deal about his legacy numbering. And you didn’t really get a sense that Cates’s Venom run was going to be the biggest deal until the issue where you got Knull’s origin.

I’m also not against artists getting paid for signatures. My dad’s favorite gift I’ve ever given him was a print of the Superman vs. Muhammad Ali cover I bought at Neal Adam’s booth and I got signed by him, and it ended up being like $40 altogether or something. But that was a print that I bought, not a comic I brought with me. It just sometimes seems like it’s tied to the grading and speculating culture of modern comics. I actually got a signature from Ed McGuinness at last year’s convention but he offered free signatures with your name or $10 without the name. My view is that a comic won’t sell as well with someone’s name as a part of the signature and that’s why it was free if you got it signed that way. It was sort of a “speculator’s tax,” if you will. I don’t fault him or anything, it was just a sign of the times. I know Declan Shalvey made a big thing about how he was specifically not going to sign comics going to CGC anymore. And that’s what I was thinking when I saw that Clayton Crain charged for signatures.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YangustheLegendaryBandit

• eal

• Democrobot

• Plattym3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On my way home I spotted three big dogs. They'd gotten out of their yard and were going on a grand adventure. Didn't want them to get lost or hurt, so I corralled them at a park and loaded them into m

Technically I graduated in January from my college in London. But the diploma took forever to arrive. So I did a whole phitoshoot today of the mail arriving/my graduation. Did the program online so I

I had a bit of a crazy start to my week but yesterday my wife and I were able to find out the gender of our baby. It's a girl! We had a party with my family and you can be damn sure my she-slime plush

Posted Images

On 5/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, Democrobot said:

Saw Detective Pikachu. Good movie.

I saw it too. Best movie I've seen in years I loved it. It got me really excited for the upcoming Mewtwo movie.

Applied to a Costco job and I have a guy on the inside so here's to hoping. I think I'm going to get a property management license

• Like 1

I’m going to put my job complaining in spoilers, so ignore it everyone. Just need to vent.

Spoiler

I’m still having mixed opinions on my new job. The work itself isn’t a problem, it’s the #$*!ing lack of training they’ve given me. Yet the new part timer who was there for his 3rd day of work got all kinds of training help from the other manager who was there. And yet I, a new full time assistant manager at the store, has gotten jack squat for training unless I ask! You would think they’d actually give the full time guy an entire rundown in the first few days he had been at the job instead of feeling like he’s learning every damn thing piece by piece!!! God, this job is such a mixed bag it’s starting to drive me nuts. 

Other than that, I got my mom a nice Mother’s Day gift. Several family members went out to my grandparents and we had breakfast with my grandma, so it was a good time. She seemed happy we came out and surprised her.

Technically I graduated in January from my college in London. But the diploma took forever to arrive. So I did a whole phitoshoot today of the mail arriving/my graduation. Did the program online so I took some shots "around campus" in my favorite study spots. 94ad54773cbfac76f9654e9943205524.jpg896413fe3f32330811aecebaeb6f349e.jpg284ae733bb82d0303ae33a8cd08e4d8d.jpg

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Technically I graduated in January from my college in London. But the diploma took forever to arrive. So I did a whole phitoshoot today of the mail arriving/my graduation. Did the program online so I took some shots "around campus" in my favorite study spots. 94ad54773cbfac76f9654e9943205524.jpg896413fe3f32330811aecebaeb6f349e.jpg284ae733bb82d0303ae33a8cd08e4d8d.jpg

These photos are beautiful. 10/10 IGN

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

@eal seems like a good thing you picked up a Switch.  You might get the next chapter in the series you missed out on when it got cancelled last year: https://gematsu.com/2019/05/omega-labyrinth-life-for-switch-launches-alongside-censored-labyrinth-life-for-ps4-on-august-1-in-japan

We’ve been getting some of the weirdest games from Japan lately on Switch, including Senran Kagura Relexions, which is literally just poking and prodding Senran Kagura girls.

• Like 1
We’ve been getting some of the weirdest games from Japan lately on Switch, including Senran Kagura Relexions, which is literally just poking and prodding Senran Kagura girls.
That doesn't sound relaxing for the girls.
27 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Not to mention embarrassing for the girls if the person playing the Switch is out in public with the system.

33 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
34 minutes ago, eal said:

That’s how weebs like it.

I just woke from a dream in which Reggie Fils-Aime delivered a piping hot stuffed crust pepperoni pizza to "my" house, saw me playing Crash Team Racing, and pulled out his Switch to play an early build of CTR Nitro Fueled with me.

If only pizza still came with game demos.

Mostly just getting old, but also playing some DQ Builders, and trying to fish between these waves of ridiculous rainstorms we've been having the last couple months. 

I got pushed up to a desk job recently, so that means less overtime, which means more fishing and gaming time with my boy.

Edited by zcm

I have the entire weekend off, which I’m thankful for since I was sick all last week and early this week. Had a day off on Wednesday, but didn’t have much time to relax since I had errands that day. So I was pretty happy to have a full weekend off.

Been taking it easy today. Got to enjoy some good food on the grill for lunch before the stormy weather kicked in again, made homemade punch, and finally managed to finish off Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon and platinum all three games in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

spacer.png

Really enjoyed the trilogy, and after playing through it my favorites still go Ripto’s Rage, the original, and then Year of the Dragon. All three are as fun as I remember and I’m glad I finally got the trilogy.

Tomorrow will be a good day too. I’m going to a Harry Potter music concert in the afternoon with my mom as a late Mother’s Day celebration since I had to work all day on Mother’s Day, and we’re planning on checking out one of the local restaurants that’s downtown in the city the concert is at. Should be a fun Sunday!

I just realozed that I haven't gotten a Tapatalk notification in like forever.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

I just realozed that I haven't gotten a Tapatalk notification in like forever.

I checked the status of the plugin, it should be working.

I checked the status of the plugin, it should be working.
I got this one. Something must have been up with the app. But it's highly unlikely that I wouldn't get any notifications for like a month with how many subforums I'm following here.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I got one from your post. emoji6.png

And I got a notification from the mobile version of the Den about your post. It’s a chain reaction.

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

And I got a notification from the mobile version of the Den about your post. It’s a chain reaction. 

Just wait for the 500 server error now that seems to keep coming up. >.<

25 minutes ago, Woodus said:

Just wait for the 500 server error now that seems to keep coming up. >.<

I haven’t had that happen in awhile now actually.

Man, Saturday flew by quickly. I have to work this whole Memorial Day Weekend, and before I knew it it was an hour before closing. It’s different to be the one in charge of the closing process, but I’m kind of used to it now. Had plenty of practice the last few shifts. I do prefer the work I have to do during the week versus the weekends, but eh.

Since I’m now waiting on Trails of Cold Steel 2 to arrive for PS4 (come on June 4th, get here already...!) I’ve picked up Shadow of the Colossus (PS4 remake) again to pass the time. I’m aiming to get the trophies I haven’t earned yet and see if I can unlock all the images in the art gallery, but just picking up the game kind of makes me forget to actually go for those goals. Shadow of the Colossus is interesting as it can be relaxing and mysterious as you roam the Forbidden Lands but then becomes tense in a split second once you encounter one of the Colossi. I don’t really have nostalgia for the game since I first played it in 2015, but damn, this game can still get to me in several ways even after replaying it a number of times.

With the PS4 remake, I totally forgot what a wonderful job Bluepoint Studios was able to pull off. I still think it’s visually one of the best games I’ve ever seen. I keep hoping the rumors of them working on a Demon’s Souls remake will finally happen (or just be true) because I’d love to see what they could do with that game. Or heck, I just want to see the studio work on ANYTHING else big. They seem to do a good job with every project they handle. 

Anyway, kudos to them for bringing the world of Shadow of the Colossus to PS4. A year later this remake is still just as spectacular in many ways.

Also, I’m super late talking about, but the Harry Potter concert this past Sunday was really something. The orchestra did an excellent job with what they played, and there were plenty of times I found myself tapping my foot with the beat. The music selections were mostly the John Williams scores from the first 3 movies, but they had a decent selection of stuff from movies 4-7. They played most of what I was expecting from the movies past 4 (I’m especially glad they played the Yule Ball song, I love the music from that scene) but sadly they didn’t play Dolores Umbridge’s theme. That’s the one song I thought would be guaranteed from movie #5, but no dice. Kind of shame, but again, every other choice from all the movies were great. Mom enjoyed it a fair bit, so I’m glad her week late Mother’s Day celebration was a success.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Past John Williams' works for the series, the only memorable theme for me is Nicholas Hooper's The Ministry of Magic from the fifth film.

Today we remember the fallen and guilt trip everyone on Facebook about it.