Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

I was happy Dan + Shay were on there. Their debut country album has been far & away my most appreciated and enjoyed music of the year. That's a big compliment from me as I'm not a huge country fan and many of my favorite bands released albums this year.

Been awhile since I posted here as I'm working more to pay off the house. Catherine and I just moved to snow country last year near Traverse City. She originally from that area and my parents moved up north as well. Thanksgiving dinner was at the inlaws. Luckily they like me for some reason.  The Lions actually won for once.

Edited by Red Dragon

Happy Thanksgiving to all you American people.

There's a snowfall warning for the next three days in my area. We expect 10-20 cm of snow overnight (which comes out to be about 4-8 inches).

Other news, I'm slowly catching up on my classes. I'm just about caught up for the latest Physics unit (still have to do the test for the last one sometime) and I'm really getting into my English novel. However, Drama class is not going so well. I don't have a strong enough voice yet to project onstage nor can I sing "Silent Night" at the end of the play. I'm going to see about being a tech person. Otherwise I risk developing nodes.

I got called down to the office at school today. They finally got around to doing the Grad Committee interviews. I made it. I'm now a part of the committee.

Glad you're catching up. Kids & teachers both - it's far more of a pain to miss school than to just be there.

It was a shame to miss so much really. I'm not a poor student or anything, but missing so much is certainly not something I want to do much. But, luckily I don't have too much left to do. Prepare for one test, memorize a script (that I most likely won't be able to perform since I can't speak loud enough on stage, just in a normal volume), analyze a piece of art (most likely will be needing some help here), and writing an essay about domestic abuse (HMM! I wonder why I chose THAT topic)

So, that girl didn't work today. Just as well, it was especially hot in the kitchen/dish pit today and we were all kinda sweaty. I figure that wouldn't be so attractive.

Depends. Hot & sweaty can be quite... sexy.

2575144-tumblr_m56c9avrmo1rtvb1so1_500.g

We expect to get more snow overnight. By tomorrow morning, we expect to have up to 30 cm of snow. Yay...

65 and sunny here.

Listening to some house music while fiddling around with the Itadaki Street Special english patch.

Note to self: Never try to open a 699MB file in notepad. Ever. Again.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Listening to some house music while fiddling around with the Itadaki Street Special english patch.

Note to self: Never try to open a 699MB file in notepad. Ever. Again.

Notepad++ buddy, notepad++.

Survived my Black Friday shift. Had to wake up at 5 this morning and worked 6 AM to 1:30 PM.  Normally the outlet mall I work at isn't incredibly busy on Black Friday, but today must've been opposite day because we were swamped. Our registers were also kind of sluggish, but that didn't stop their best register employee (coughmecough) from keeping up with the pace of customers.

After that, I briefly did some Black Friday shopping both in my store and another, then spent the afternoon playing Smash Wii U with friends. God does it feel good to play Smash with people in the room; the live interaction is the best part, as well as showing your friends what's what by completely 5 stocking them with Ness...but that's just me. :thumbsup:

Currently looking at the website for Child and Family services. I can only take so much. My mom has already made several death threats to my stepfather and a cat. They seem to have disappeared now. I'm not sure if they went to the Midnight Madness in town or the woods...

65 and sunny here.

65 is dangerously high. Like, not humanly possible to survive.

It was an average work day for me on Black Friday. I woke up early and did some shopping. Bought The Evil Within and South Park: The Stick of Truth for $25 and more than half a dozen movies. It wasn't busy at all. Just another shopping day.

Currently looking at the website for Child and Family services. I can only take so much. My mom has already made several death threats to my stepfather and a cat. They seem to have disappeared now. I'm not sure if they went to the Midnight Madness in town or the woods...

65 and sunny here.

That'd be 67 Fahrenheit, my fine Canadian friend.

And that totally sucks about your family. Again, stay strong, and do what you need to.

65 and sunny here.

That'd be 67 Fahrenheit, my fine Canadian friend.

And that totally sucks about your family. Again, stay strong, and do what you need to.

That would be a 65, my good man.

I'm currently looking at my options, but things are pretty slim right now. The Child and Family Services office for my area isn't even in my town. They just can't make things easy, can they?

Going to see Mockingjay Part 1 today. I've heard mixed reviews about it. The professional reviewers say it is the best of the series because it has moved away from the Games. My friends say it is the weakest of the entries because it lacks any excitement.

That's odd. Because my friends are the ones who loved it while the reviews I've read said it was too much set-up.

Fortune Street Special is coming along. Not smoothly, but it's happening.

Saw Mockingjay Part 1 yesterday. It was okay. Not the best in the series, but certainly not as bad as some people said. A few things were a little on the sketchy side, but for the most part they made it work.

Hey Democrobot, I waved to your town as I passed the Camrose exit on the highway this weekend (both ways!).  My son had a hockey tournament in Edmonton this weekend so we were closer to your neck of the woods than usual.  Wish we had more time to take a quick diversion your way, but Camrose is annoyingly far from the QE2 highway.  We had to pull off for a... um... pit stop (traveling with three kids) right around there but opted for Lacombe instead.

Spent most of the weekend watching hockey and roaming the West Edmonton Mall (the tournament was held at the mall Arena, which was pretty cool).  Did NOT want to drive this weekend with the remarkably terrible road conditions but we managed to get there and back alive. 

I've been reading Mockingjay and at about half way through the book I'm not impressed, so I'll probably wait for the movie to come out on Netflix, if I even see it at all.  I'm trying to be more selective when it comes to buying movie tickets.

I'm also not seeing Star Wars Episode VII in the theaters, as crazy as most of my friends think I am when I say that, who think I should see the movie just because it's Star Wars.  But even before the trailer came out featuring the gimmicky looking hilted lightsaber, and the bizarre controversy over what race people think storm troopers should be, the prequels left me feeling that Star Wars films were really a time and a place: 1977-1983.  Everything else just feels like an attempt to leach off of the success of the original trilogy (hence all the one-liners and references to extremely specific dialogue from the original trilogy that they use in the Clone Wars series, which I'm told has apparently found its way into the new Rebels series as well.)  And the things that the newer movies do add (flying Artoo, C3PO built by Vader, Midi-chlorians, etc.) are only superficially watering-down the franchise.  After seeing all the self-referential humor and catch phrases added to Abram's Star Trek, I don't have high hopes for him improving upon what Lucas tarnished, starting in 1999.  I think they made the right move hiring unknown actors, but that putting the original trilogy actors back in as elderly versions of themselves will prove to ultimately be a bad move.  If I ever want to go back and relive the feeling of old Star Wars there are plenty of great Expanded Universe novels (canon be-damned).

Also, isn't a lightsaber with a hilt incredibly impractical, in terms of fighting maneuverability?  Imagine how easy it would be to cut ones own wrists off with that thing...I'm sure a Jedi would just use The Force to compensate for the reduced mobility, but it's still a very inefficient fighting tool.

I love the satire that was already hitting the internet, as soon as the trailer came out:

Mocking Lightsaber changes, over the years:

http://i.imgur.com/hllhJpP.gifv

Episode VII - The George Lucas Special Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

Edited by Liamland

Disney exec: "Okay, so what's a good idea to sell Star Wars toys?"

Other Disney exec: "How about a lightsaber with - stay with me on this - the hilt ALSO a part of the light saber?"

Disney exec: "Brilliant! It worked for Darth Maul and Mace Windu, after all!"

I'm sure that's why they're releasing it around Christmas next year and not in May, like all 6 previous films.

It's going to be weird to see the Disney logo and hear the "When You Wish Upon a Star" theme before the Star Wars theme starts, instead of the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

Edited by Liamland

Here's why I'm one of the few voices of dissent on the new movie.

When Lucas was doing the prequels, he financed them out of his own pocket. Love them or not, they were movies he wanted to do and did them the way he wanted. Then here comes Disney and purchases Lucasfilm. The instant they do it, they announce all the new movies in an attempt to win back the old fans. I want the movie to be good, but since the announcement, it just seems like a corporate cash grab instead of a story someone wanted to tell.

I don't like it when companies pull these types of disingenuous moves. Remember when Megaman 9 was announced? "Hey look at this, kids! It looks like Megaman 2. We've even got the same sound effects and music! Yeah, ya like that, doncha?" But it didn't play like Megaman 2. Instead it was more of IntiCreates signature spikes everywhere and stuff jumping out of pits level design. It wasn't fun like Megaman 2. Look at the first season or two of Chuck. "Look at that, ya nerds! They're playing video games and talking about the movies you nerds like talkin' about. Oh, an' hey, lookit dat girl dare! Yeah, she's hot, ain't she? Ya like that, doncha?" No, sorry. It's shallow. It's obvious I'm being heavily marketed and talked down to.

Now they're doing it with Star Wars. "Hey, lookit dis! TIE fighters an' Stormtroopers! It ain't the prequel era no more. Ya like that, doncha?" Sadly... no, I don't. And I love Star Wars. It's gone down since the merger. Rebels had great potential, but after all the fantastic work Filoni did on Clone Wars, he was given peanuts to make the show and it shows. Eight episodes in and the plot has gone nowhere. I've collected Star Wars toys practically my whole life and stopped a couple years ago. The main line figures are poorly sculpted, articulated, and painted. The Black Series are way overpriced for the plastic and paint quality. The lightsabers are bendy and hardly have any color to them anymore. These are mostly Hasbro issues, yes, but I'd rather my money go towards better figures than a licensing markup that goes to some exec at Disney.

And now the new trailer. I like a lot of the people involved. Most of the concept artists were there for the original and prequel trilogy. I like JJ Abrams. The trailer did not look right. It sadly is following a trend of washed out, over or desaturated colors. I have the same problem with the dinosaurs in Jurassic World. They were all a muddy green/brown color. Lizards, birds, and animals aren't like that. The colors need to stand out. Star Wars is a "dirty" universe, but everything is still well defined. Look at the Phantom Menace teaser. Strong colors and definition. It's like the film editors are putting some Instagram or Tumblr gif filter on it. The concept art is great and doesn't look like that! The shaky cam and jump cut stormtrooper scene or the muddy overly-complicated Falcon shot isn't Star Wars to me.

I'd like to be wrong, but right now it's just not shaking the notion that the people behind this are more interested in money than making a good movie.

Oh, by the way, more news sites need to realize what makes a story worth running. I don't care that a bunch of ignorant nobodies on Twitter don't care for the race of one of the main characters. Neither should anyone else. More editors should pull a J. Jonah Jameson and say, "YOU CALL THAT A STORY? GET OUTTA HERE AND DON'T COME BACK UNTIL YOU GET ME A REAL STORY!!"

Hey Democrobot, I waved to your town as I passed the Camrose exit on the highway this weekend (both ways!).  My son had a hockey tournament in Edmonton this weekend so we were closer to your neck of the woods than usual.  Wish we had more time to take a quick diversion your way, but Camrose is annoyingly far from the QE2 highway.  We had to pull off for a... um... pit stop (traveling with three kids) right around there but opted for Lacombe instead.

Spent most of the weekend watching hockey and roaming the West Edmonton Mall (the tournament was held at the mall Arena, which was pretty cool).  Did NOT want to drive this weekend with the remarkably terrible road conditions but we managed to get there and back alive. 

That's a shame. I would have been nice to meet the Zenithes. Perhaps another time. After all, I'll be in the Camrose region for another few months and then I'm off to Edmonton for post-secondary hopefully (I would do Calgary if my aunt did not live there). Also, you musta looked da fool waving to a town.  :laugh:

Here's a fun little story.

Sunday I went to the Texas Renaissance Festival. It was the last day of the show. Had a great time, but wish I could've stayed longer, done more, eaten more, etc. 'Round 11 we were watching the mud show, but the lady sitting in front of me had captured my attention. When the show was over we were asking each other what to do next. I had the great suggestion of heading in the direction the girl and her mother were headed. My friends responded with, "Oh, the one who's underage!" "What?! NO! N-No way she was underage! No!"

While this discussion was going on, my friend's daughter's step-sister (who's about 13) popped up and said, "She's 33!" "Aw, see, perfect - wait, how do you know?" Turns out she ran over, asked, and told her someone from our group had a crush on her. Didn't see her the rest of the day. The place is so huge, if your paths diverge there's a good chance you'll never see that person again. Same goes with the large brony in the onesie that didn't fit, and the three ripped and shirtless college aged guys in bright yellow kits I wanted to get a picture with and make it my new profile pic on Facebook.

I feel bad for Star Wars fans. After decades of what I hear was a great Expanded Universe it was completely obliterated by a single deal with Disney because they don't stand to make money on those products. All those video games that never finished production, the Clone Wars show that was swept under the rug, comic runs that are wrapping up, followed immediately by Marvel Comics' own line of Star Wars stories.

Well, at least I have the lens flare supercut videos on YouTube to look forward to next year.