Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

So, Dragon Quest XI comes out the day before I'm leaving the state for nearly a month. Was going to take my small-form desktop with me to play the game but its video card (GeForce GT 740 FTW) just misses the minimum system requirements. The only better card I've got is the GeForce GTX 960 I bought to put in it, but it's just barely too big to fit within the case. I can't afford to buy a new one right now, so I guess I just won't play DQXI until November. At that point, though, I might just wait until I've played through each of the new Spyro games three times...

22 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

So, Dragon Quest XI comes out the day before I'm leaving the state for nearly a month. Was going to take my small-form desktop with me to play the game but its video card (GeForce GT 740 FTW) just misses the minimum system requirements. The only better card I've got is the GeForce GTX 960 I bought to put in it, but it's just barely too big to fit within the case. I can't afford to buy a new one right now, so I guess I just won't play DQXI until November. At that point, though, I might just wait until I've played through each of the new Spyro games three times...

Hey man, you can totally get a preowned GTX 760 for $70 - $100 on eBay. It isn't a monster card, but I owned one once and it was a little powerhouse for it's tier. The min reqs for DQ are listed as a 750ti, so a 760 should work.

14 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Hey man, you can totally get a preowned GTX 760 for $70 - $100 on eBay. It isn't a monster card, but I owned one once and it was a little powerhouse for it's tier. The min reqs for DQ are listed as a 750ti, so a 760 should work.

I considered buying a new card for this rig, but it's getting old and I don't use it very often so I probably won't. If I'm going to spend $70 I'll just spend some more and buy a used gaming laptop. Found one I wanted on Craigslist today but it's too far away.

48 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I considered buying a new card for this rig, but it's getting old and I don't use it very often so I probably won't. If I'm going to spend $70 I'll just spend some more and buy a used gaming laptop. Found one I wanted on Craigslist today but it's too far away.

GPUs are at an all-time low on prices now that cryptocurrency mining has slowed. There's not a better time to plan a new build. I paid $575 for my using 1080 just a few months ago. Now you can get a new 1080 for like $300. The 2080 cards are just about to be released to boot, so that'll cause the prices of the 10xx series to keep dropping.

3 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

GPUs are at an all-time low on prices now that cryptocurrency mining has slowed.

I have to ask: I’ve heard stuff similar to this other places, and I need to know why cryptocurrency had an effect on prices for PC parts.

1 minute ago, eal said:

I have to ask: I’ve heard stuff similar to this other places, and I need to know why cryptocurrency had an effect on prices for PC parts.

The entire way that cryptocurrencies work is that transaction processing is a decentralized system.. The way that transactions for any cryptocurrency are processed is through a process called the blockchain. I essence, it's peer 2 peer transaction processing. The people who devote their system resources to processing these transactions are rewarded with a fraction of a coin. This is called mining. In the old days, you could mine bitcoin using any old laptop, due to how few people were actually using the currency. Now, Bitcoin mining is unfeasible for casual hardware enthusiasts as you need a giant PC farm with multiple high end graphics cards to make any kind of value back on the electricity you're spending to mine. People use graphics cards because they generally are more powerful than your regular CPU.

However, other currencies like Ethereum and Litecoin are mineable by ordinary folk like us. I've dabbled in Ethereum mining before and even with my GTX 1080 (which is a relatively higher-end card) it was slowgoing. It took me about 2 months to get .05 Ethereum in my wallet. So last year when the crypto bubble began, people started buying up the high end cards left and right. These are cards that released 2 years ago that were going for higher than their original MSRP on eBay. That's really unheard of. Things got so bad, that Nvidia started urging retailers to only sell 1 card per customer when they actually got them in.

• Like 1

Today ended up being a highly productive day. After being sick yesterday and sleeping almost all morning, I proceeded to do much more than I had planned. I went and bought a much needed picture frame and some groceries. Upon getting home, I had lunch then cleaned and rearranged my room, opening up some new space which I turned into my mini office. It feels a bit nicer and I can access my closet again. I was in such a spree of chores that I then did laundry (both clothes and bedding), dishes, vacuumed the whole place, swept and mopped the kitchen, cleaned the dining room table, and threw away a bunch of junk/recycled boxes. To top it all off, I applied to 5 more jobs as well (technically there was a 6th but the email address they gave was not working so that is unfortunate for them)

When I bought my 1080, it was a sale that B&H photo was having. All of the 1080ti's sold out before I could input my credit card info. That was the case for every retailer that got cards in stock for a while there, even Nvidia's official store. The reason I was able to get my 1080 that day is because it wasn't actually that good of a deal. The card retailed for like $550 I believe. I ended up paying $575 without an shipping, so I still kind of came out ahead in terms of pricing...even though I was buying a used card. And then like 2 months later, the prices started coming down finally. I bought my card at the worst possible time, but I had no way of knowing. The crypto bubble burst early this year, yet prices stayed high for months afterward.

15 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

The entire way that cryptocurrencies work is that transaction processing is a decentralized system.. The way that transactions for any cryptocurrency are processed is through a process called the blockchain. I essence, it's peer 2 peer transaction processing. The people who devote their system resources to processing these transactions are rewarded with a fraction of a coin. This is called mining. In the old days, you could mine bitcoin using any old laptop, due to how few people were actually using the currency. Now, Bitcoin mining is unfeasible for casual hardware enthusiasts as you need a giant PC farm with multiple high end graphics cards to make any kind of value back on the electricity you're spending to mine. People use graphics cards because they generally are more powerful than your regular CPU.

However, other currencies like Ethereum and Litecoin are mineable by ordinary folk like us. I've dabbled in Ethereum mining before and even with my GTX 1080 (which is a relatively higher-end card) it was slowgoing. It took me about 2 months to get .05 Ethereum in my wallet. So last year when the crypto bubble began, people started buying up the high end cards left and right. These are cards that released 2 years ago that were going for higher than their original MSRP on eBay. That's really unheard of. Things got so bad, that Nvidia started urging retailers to only sell 1 card per customer when they actually got them in.

2 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I don’t know when I’ll get around to buying DQ11. At this point I’m hoping an Edition of Lost Time pops up on Amazon so I can buy it from a third party seller. Or just buy a used copy.

I actually forgot they pushed Spyro back to November. Hopefully now all 3 games will be on disc, but with it being Activision who the hell knows. The Reignited Trilogy would make a good Christmas gift for a cousin of mine since he grew up on the PS1/Spyro games.

53 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I don’t know when I’ll get around to buying DQ11. At this point I’m hoping an Edition of Lost Time pops up on Amazon so I can buy it from a third party seller. Or just buy a used copy.

I actually forgot they pushed Spyro back to November. Hopefully now all 3 games will be on disc, but with it being Activision who the hell knows. The Reignited Trilogy would make a good Christmas gift for a cousin of mine since he grew up on the PS1/Spyro games.

My best friend just offered to buy the Edition of Lost Time for me, but it's sold out. D:

6 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

My best friend just offered to buy the Edition of Lost Time for me, but it's sold out. 😧

I have other reasons for wanting to buy one from a third party seller rather than from Square Enix.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I've heard 'Cor Blimey' several times now in Dragon Quest XI.
WHY DON'T YOU RUB IT IN SOME MORE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AustNerevar said:
10 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I could share some pictures from my adventure so far but I'll remain chaotic neutral.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
21 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I mean, he IS using a Goodybag for a profile picture. They kind of are a trolling enemy (or party member in some cases).

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Currently watching an incredibly hype DBFZ tournament on Twitch

Other than that, just waiting for Tuesday to get here so I can play DQXI X_X

53 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

The time has come.

Yeah, the time for your new avatar, where it at?

31 minutes ago, eal said:

Yeah, the time for your new avatar, where it at?

Right here.

Went to the arcade with my brother and his kids today. Won a Pinkie Pie plush.

Has anybody seen the spam post on the Chit-chat forum?  It looks dangerous.  How and to whom do I report it?

14 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Has anybody seen the spam post on the Chit-chat forum?  It looks dangerous.  How and to whom do I report it?

The matter is currently being looked into ^-^

I think I've got those all deleted now, and banned the poster. Thanks for the heads up. Please let Me know if any others pop up.

13 hours ago, King Zenith said:

I think I've got those all deleted now, and banned the poster. Thanks for the heads up. Please let Me know if any others pop up.

That's a relief, thank you so much.  I was worried for a bit.