What's New With You?

Now it's all back. I'm sure I'll discover some random wrong thing as soon as I start working.

Planning on withdrawing from my Intermediate Japanese course while I can still get it refunded, and I'm super bummed out. I was barely treading water at the end of last semester, and my lack of review over Summer break destroyed any chance of me getting caught up with new material.

20 hours later, I finally have electricity again!
As He-Man would say...
The opposite of Microsoft is Ultrahard
So, this morning my friend went in for surgery to remove her cancer, since she finished radiation and chemotherapy. I'll be going to visit her likely this afternoon, assuming she feels well enough for some company.
Ugh. It's been a rough week for me emotionally. I've really become enamored with the podcasts at RPGamer enough that I applied to write for them. Then the editor who I'd heard on a few podcasts discuss his cancer died this past Saturday. Sunday I found out my cousin OD'd and died. Monday I found out my best friend from high school's wife (who also went to high school with us) has cancer. Hope your friend pulls through, Demo!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

As He-Man would say...

Hells yes. It was wonderful to have electricity again.

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

As He-Man would say...

Ugh. It's been a rough week for me emotionally. I've really become enamored with the podcasts at RPGamer enough that I applied to write for them. Then the editor who I'd heard on a few podcasts discuss his cancer died this past Saturday. Sunday I found out my cousin OD'd and died. Monday I found out my best friend from high school's wife (who also went to high school with us) has cancer. Hope your friend pulls through, Demo!

Sorry for you losses. My sincerest condolences.

Still in a depressive episode. I may need to discuss a bump up in my meds later on. But at least I am still managing to get things done. Went grocery shopping today. I think I found a certificate to take. And my practice for Pokemon has been going well. I've been dubbed a madman in one of the Discord servers I'm in for my crazy strategies that work.

I've been on vacation with my husband at the mother-in-law's most of the week, but I finally entered the latest batch of photo quests, as you will see if you look there. :D 

Sorry to hear folks around here losing people and otherwise stressing while I've been away.  Platty, sorry to hear about your cousin especially.

Democrobot, I know the pain of job searching, I've been doing the same as well.

Also, sorry to hear Yangus was without power for such a long while.

I always get the monkey’s paw when I ask for days off. I might have made a mistake that could get me at least written up but I likely won’t find out if it works out or if I’ll get punished for it until I get back from vacation. I don’t think I’ve had a single week off without this happening.

Depression has been hitting hard this week. I can't even focus on playing other games and all I want to do is just watch Twitch. Hopefully with DQXI's release next week I will be able to get out of it. I wasn't able to get Tuesday off but I will have all Wednesday to play it.

I've gone and gotten sick. At least yesterday I was able to visit my friend in the hospital. That was great.

6 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Depression has been hitting hard this week. I can't even focus on playing other games and all I want to do is just watch Twitch. Hopefully with DQXI's release next week I will be able to get out of it. I wasn't able to get Tuesday off but I will have all Wednesday to play it.

I hate that #$*! with depression. You should do stuff to keep busy but you just can't muster the will to do it. Vicious circle.

It’s finally upon us! The end of the abridged Cell Saga has begun!

(I wonder when my sudden fascination with Dragon Ball will end?)

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

It’s finally upon us! The end of the abridged Cell Saga has begun!

(I wonder when my sudden fascination with Dragon Ball will end?)
I saw that but haven't had time to watch it yet.

Bout time, they've been hyping up this episode for a while.

So, basement started to flood last night. Spent 8 hours furiously mopping up water and wringing out towels.

The good news is that we managed to keep the water at bay. The bad news is my hands/arms are so sore, stiff, and cramped that they may as well not exist. Couldn't even squeeze shampoo and conditioner out of the bottles when I got up this morning...

I cleaned and rearranged my room today. I have a better little office space now

So, Dragon Quest XI comes out the day before I'm leaving the state for nearly a month. Was going to take my small-form desktop with me to play the game but its video card (GeForce GT 740 FTW) just misses the minimum system requirements. The only better card I've got is the GeForce GTX 960 I bought to put in it, but it's just barely too big to fit within the case. I can't afford to buy a new one right now, so I guess I just won't play DQXI until November. At that point, though, I might just wait until I've played through each of the new Spyro games three times...

22 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

So, Dragon Quest XI comes out the day before I'm leaving the state for nearly a month. Was going to take my small-form desktop with me to play the game but its video card (GeForce GT 740 FTW) just misses the minimum system requirements. The only better card I've got is the GeForce GTX 960 I bought to put in it, but it's just barely too big to fit within the case. I can't afford to buy a new one right now, so I guess I just won't play DQXI until November. At that point, though, I might just wait until I've played through each of the new Spyro games three times...

Hey man, you can totally get a preowned GTX 760 for $70 - $100 on eBay. It isn't a monster card, but I owned one once and it was a little powerhouse for it's tier. The min reqs for DQ are listed as a 750ti, so a 760 should work.

14 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Hey man, you can totally get a preowned GTX 760 for $70 - $100 on eBay. It isn't a monster card, but I owned one once and it was a little powerhouse for it's tier. The min reqs for DQ are listed as a 750ti, so a 760 should work.

I considered buying a new card for this rig, but it's getting old and I don't use it very often so I probably won't. If I'm going to spend $70 I'll just spend some more and buy a used gaming laptop. Found one I wanted on Craigslist today but it's too far away.

48 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I considered buying a new card for this rig, but it's getting old and I don't use it very often so I probably won't. If I'm going to spend $70 I'll just spend some more and buy a used gaming laptop. Found one I wanted on Craigslist today but it's too far away.

GPUs are at an all-time low on prices now that cryptocurrency mining has slowed. There's not a better time to plan a new build. I paid $575 for my using 1080 just a few months ago. Now you can get a new 1080 for like $300. The 2080 cards are just about to be released to boot, so that'll cause the prices of the 10xx series to keep dropping.

3 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

GPUs are at an all-time low on prices now that cryptocurrency mining has slowed.

I have to ask: I’ve heard stuff similar to this other places, and I need to know why cryptocurrency had an effect on prices for PC parts.

1 minute ago, eal said:

I have to ask: I’ve heard stuff similar to this other places, and I need to know why cryptocurrency had an effect on prices for PC parts.

The entire way that cryptocurrencies work is that transaction processing is a decentralized system.. The way that transactions for any cryptocurrency are processed is through a process called the blockchain. I essence, it's peer 2 peer transaction processing. The people who devote their system resources to processing these transactions are rewarded with a fraction of a coin. This is called mining. In the old days, you could mine bitcoin using any old laptop, due to how few people were actually using the currency. Now, Bitcoin mining is unfeasible for casual hardware enthusiasts as you need a giant PC farm with multiple high end graphics cards to make any kind of value back on the electricity you're spending to mine. People use graphics cards because they generally are more powerful than your regular CPU.

However, other currencies like Ethereum and Litecoin are mineable by ordinary folk like us. I've dabbled in Ethereum mining before and even with my GTX 1080 (which is a relatively higher-end card) it was slowgoing. It took me about 2 months to get .05 Ethereum in my wallet. So last year when the crypto bubble began, people started buying up the high end cards left and right. These are cards that released 2 years ago that were going for higher than their original MSRP on eBay. That's really unheard of. Things got so bad, that Nvidia started urging retailers to only sell 1 card per customer when they actually got them in.

• Like 1

Today ended up being a highly productive day. After being sick yesterday and sleeping almost all morning, I proceeded to do much more than I had planned. I went and bought a much needed picture frame and some groceries. Upon getting home, I had lunch then cleaned and rearranged my room, opening up some new space which I turned into my mini office. It feels a bit nicer and I can access my closet again. I was in such a spree of chores that I then did laundry (both clothes and bedding), dishes, vacuumed the whole place, swept and mopped the kitchen, cleaned the dining room table, and threw away a bunch of junk/recycled boxes. To top it all off, I applied to 5 more jobs as well (technically there was a 6th but the email address they gave was not working so that is unfortunate for them)

When I bought my 1080, it was a sale that B&H photo was having. All of the 1080ti's sold out before I could input my credit card info. That was the case for every retailer that got cards in stock for a while there, even Nvidia's official store. The reason I was able to get my 1080 that day is because it wasn't actually that good of a deal. The card retailed for like $550 I believe. I ended up paying $575 without an shipping, so I still kind of came out ahead in terms of pricing...even though I was buying a used card. And then like 2 months later, the prices started coming down finally. I bought my card at the worst possible time, but I had no way of knowing. The crypto bubble burst early this year, yet prices stayed high for months afterward.

15 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

The entire way that cryptocurrencies work is that transaction processing is a decentralized system.. The way that transactions for any cryptocurrency are processed is through a process called the blockchain. I essence, it's peer 2 peer transaction processing. The people who devote their system resources to processing these transactions are rewarded with a fraction of a coin. This is called mining. In the old days, you could mine bitcoin using any old laptop, due to how few people were actually using the currency. Now, Bitcoin mining is unfeasible for casual hardware enthusiasts as you need a giant PC farm with multiple high end graphics cards to make any kind of value back on the electricity you're spending to mine. People use graphics cards because they generally are more powerful than your regular CPU.

However, other currencies like Ethereum and Litecoin are mineable by ordinary folk like us. I've dabbled in Ethereum mining before and even with my GTX 1080 (which is a relatively higher-end card) it was slowgoing. It took me about 2 months to get .05 Ethereum in my wallet. So last year when the crypto bubble began, people started buying up the high end cards left and right. These are cards that released 2 years ago that were going for higher than their original MSRP on eBay. That's really unheard of. Things got so bad, that Nvidia started urging retailers to only sell 1 card per customer when they actually got them in.

2 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I don’t know when I’ll get around to buying DQ11. At this point I’m hoping an Edition of Lost Time pops up on Amazon so I can buy it from a third party seller. Or just buy a used copy.

I actually forgot they pushed Spyro back to November. Hopefully now all 3 games will be on disc, but with it being Activision who the hell knows. The Reignited Trilogy would make a good Christmas gift for a cousin of mine since he grew up on the PS1/Spyro games.

• Woodus changed the title to What's New With You?