Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

A few years ago, my brother was once offered money to eat wings with one of the hottest wing sauces imaginable. I saw the video on Facebook. He never got the money.
Also, I hope that wasn’t your water. Drinking water actually makes it worse if you’re trying to drown out the heat. Milk is preferable.
I used the cheese grits and maple syrup more for cooling.

Much too drunk to read all of your very interesting replies

You are all nice people :) (robot from Cave Story face)

I'm uh...drunk

TOr0T1d.jpg

Edited by Kirk

I didn’t know Kirk was Keanu Reeves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I used the cheese grits and maple syrup more for cooling. emoji106.png

Good man, that’s an A+ combo.

36 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I didn’t know Kirk was Keanu Reeves.

Keanu Reeves didn't know there are many ones...

Movies are good

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Keanu Reeves didn't know there are many ones...

Movies are good

I feel as if your posts always have some sort of code hidden in them. Perhaps they lead to a hidden treasure.

Looks like I made it to the highest Den level. Guess I can finally post this picture:

CDDCB929-C893-44C2-9F81-B7AE039D1FEC.thumb.jpeg.b9659e7fbfc00c02de8f7570c5b1aa3f.jpeg

Crazy I’ve posted that much in the 5 years I’ve been here.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 2:26 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well that rewards seems hardly worth the effort.

Well you unlock Bylines all the way up to 999,999 Rythmia.

28 minutes ago, Bururian said:

Well you unlock Bylines all the way up to 999,999 Rythmia.

Oh I got the Mime byline. That’s all I wanted for a last unlock. Everything else is just a bonus.

Not much has changed in my life. Just working on the FFXIV MSQs while I wait for School to start back up again.

Since my cousin was back from the army for the week, the family had a get together this evening. Lots of delicious food and drinks! It was good to see my cousin, but it’s sad he has to go back to Colorado so soon (that’s where he’s stationed). I was hoping we could hang out again before he left, see if we couldn’t make some actually progress in Contra III!

Anyway, I finally managed to get all the gold cups in Super Mario Kart. The 150CC AI was obnoxious, but I finally did thanks to my Mario Kart good luck charm, Koopa Troopa. Also while playing Final Fantasy VI I FINALLY saw a Desperation Attack. I’ve seen them all in action via YouTube, but never in person when I’ve played through the game until now due to the specific requirements and total chance. Kind of neat to finally see one!

On 7/12/2018 at 4:20 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I feel as if your posts always have some sort of code hidden in them. Perhaps they lead to a hidden treasure.

The hidden code is that I am drunk and trying to break into the music business at a time when it's really had enough of white guys who play guitar's crap...

Honestly, if you think that hard about any message you are receiving, you will start to see patterns and things that seem like 'clues' leading you into a rabbit hole of deductive reasoning. I mean, drugs can do that to your mind, but some people (who were born with a certain weirdly configured brain I guess) are already doing it from the time they are young. I am one such person.

Sorry if I freaked you out. I have been studying Zen Meditation and Poetry since I was about 6 years old or so. Remember, when you become a master of zen, mountains are mountains, and rivers are rivers again. And everybody got to go to the bathroom like a normal human being.

After a pretty packed day, I decided to head to the park outside of my local concert hall and play Pokémon Go.

(Evolved a top tier Vulpix with ember and flamethrower to a Ninetales and after evolving it had feint attack and...solar beam. What in the ever loving #$*!?!)

Anyway, it was a nice night. Paramore was playing tonight, so I thought I'd stay in the park and listen to the show. Three of my friends were working concessions inside. Walked around to the front gate when Paramore started their set. Halfway through the first song I decided, "No. No, I want to actually experience this show!" So I impulse bought a lawn ticket. It was only 40 bucks. Said hi to my friends. There was a great spot right on the front of the lawn. Great crowd. Great set. This was my first time hearing After Laughter songs live. Plus I got to see Hayley Williams in short shorts in person.

It was a good decision.

I've been through some really really traumatic events lately, which resulted in an emergency move to another town and I'm still in the middle of the move because of some like unfortunate events. Everything surrounding the move seems to kinda of be going wrong, but I'm determined to settle in and reclaim my peace of mind from what's happened. > .< I'm away from the danger now so that's going for me........And I've gotten more diagnoses from my doctors so I'm dealing with that too.

My dog was also diagnosed with epilepsy just these past weeks, so that's on my plate. Like I said, just so much stuff. o .o;; 2018 is a cesspit lol

On the good side........I'm going to continue educating myself in game development and design through courses on Udemy. u wu I'm still tinkering around with an engine, making an online DQ game as a hobby project to learn. Just need to find someone to help with sprite animations and some music tracks (and sfx maybe). And I'm still trucking away at my animu animation for my DQ fan fic. :'3

I've been thinking about doing a web comic like Florkofcows but basically making fun of the local buy and sell group. Chicken heads, STDs... you really can find anything in this group!

My local comic book store was having a massive sale today, presumably to clear out all the unsold overstock, so I managed to fill in some more holes in Peter David’s X-Factor run for like $0.50 each, nearly all of what was left that I needed of the Vertigo-published Astro City for $1, a random comic here and there, and a few hardcover graphic novels (Marvel’s Dracula, Marvel Zombies Christmas Carol, and The Search for She-Hulk hardcovers for $10). 26 individual comics and three hardcover graphic novels for $30.

• Like 1

Good deal on the back issues. Original X-Factor or Madrox X-Factor? Good either way. You got those trades pretty much at cost.

Back when I worked at the comic shop one of the big things I tried to do was to cut down on excessive overstock. People would get caught up in reordering merchandise, but often didn't have a general idea of what we already had and how much should have been reordered. Employees would often automatically put a trade on the reorder list, unaware we had 2-3 copies in the back, which would lead to 2 or more copies of the book getting reordered. I paid attention to the rate people were buying certain books and adjusted accordingly. Stop the bleeding, cut waste, etc. Valiant, for example, the owner was a big fan and was ordering a lot of single issues. The titles didn't have near enough subscribers, but the customers were engaging through trades. They were selling at the rate of Rebirth trades. Cutting back on floppies for this particular publisher saved so much money and effort, while still serving and growing the customer base.

It's not always perfect, though. Flash Rebirth was selling like crazy. Couldn't keep the book in stock. I upped the ordering, but suddenly the needs of the customer base was met and it just stopped. Subsequent volumes didn't have near the reach. Wound up with 4-5 copies of volume 1 and 1-2 of the rest. The original Old Man Logan was also like that. I was smart and ordered a few extra copies of it and the X-23 books a few weeks before the movie hit. It did well, and the X-23 books sold out at Diamond and went to a new printing. As soon as everyone that wanted to read Old Man Logan, boom, done.

The last loud part is called "Wyrm." It's pronounced VARM. It's German for "Dragon."

Salute.

46 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Good deal on the back issues. Original X-Factor or Madrox X-Factor? Good either way. You got those trades pretty much at cost.

Back when I worked at the comic shop one of the big things I tried to do was to cut down on excessive overstock. People would get caught up in reordering merchandise, but often didn't have a general idea of what we already had and how much should have been reordered. Employees would often automatically put a trade on the reorder list, unaware we had 2-3 copies in the back, which would lead to 2 or more copies of the book getting reordered. I paid attention to the rate people were buying certain books and adjusted accordingly. Stop the bleeding, cut waste, etc. Valiant, for example, the owner was a big fan and was ordering a lot of single issues. The titles didn't have near enough subscribers, but the customers were engaging through trades. They were selling at the rate of Rebirth trades. Cutting back on floppies for this particular publisher saved so much money and effort, while still serving and growing the customer base.

It's not always perfect, though. Flash Rebirth was selling like crazy. Couldn't keep the book in stock. I upped the ordering, but suddenly the needs of the customer base was met and it just stopped. Subsequent volumes didn't have near the reach. Wound up with 4-5 copies of volume 1 and 1-2 of the rest. The original Old Man Logan was also like that. I was smart and ordered a few extra copies of it and the X-23 books a few weeks before the movie hit. It did well, and the X-23 books sold out at Diamond and went to a new printing. As soon as everyone that wanted to read Old Man Logan, boom, done.

Peter David’s. I bought the first 15 issues at a convention for a $1 each. I ironically can’t find any issues after that before it circles back to the original numbering. I have 244-264 ready and waiting. All $0.50. I guess Marvel’s forcing shops to over order worked out well for me. Their $0.50 boxes are just piles and piles of Marvel Now.

I almost never buy trades unless they’re on sale. I bought that #$*!ed up Mark Millar comic that implied Spider-Man’s aunt and uncle were his actual parents in trade at a convention for like $7. I got the complete X-Statix for $25. Stuff like that. For some reason I can justify $10 for a manga that’ll take me two hours to read but not $25+ for a graphic novel I could spend a few days on.

Speaking of Old Man Logan, what a shame. Days of Anger, Brisson’s first arc on the book, was one of the best Logan storylines I’ve read. It’s only gone downhill with each arc after Scarlet Samurai. And the accerelated release schedule reeks of “we’re gonna kill him off soon when we bring back 616 Logan but this comic sells pretty well so let’s get as much out of it was we can before we end it.”

I'm awake again after recording that ^ and getting drunk in an accelerated manner

What'd I miss?

13 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I'm awake again after recording that ^ and getting drunk in an accelerated manner

What'd I miss?

Speaking of getting drunk, the world is conspiring to keep me from doing so. I bought some beer at the liquor store like four feet from my apartment but they don’t sell bottle openers for some reason(?) and I didn’t have one of my own even though they put bottle openers on everything. Anyways, I’ve been out all day, don’t wanna go out again, so I’m like, “whatever.”

Then, somewhat of an emergency required I run to Walmart, so I kept telling myself to get a bottle opener while I was there. Hey, guess who was driving home and forgot the bottle opener?

7 hours ago, eal said:

I guess Marvel’s forcing shops to over order worked out well for me. Their $0.50 boxes are just piles and piles of Marvel Now.

Yeah, and that's something that really upsets me.

Being a designer who has worked with PR and such, I know going in that a rep is not my friend. They're not interested in community or social circle. They're interacting with me because they want me to help them sell their product. That's not inherently wrong depending on the product and the relationship. Just be aware of this. Never accept a gift that's outside of typical promotional products or review copies, always pay your own way, etc. so the company can't turn around and say, "We did this for you, now you have to do this for us."

Last year Marvel displayed some very bad business practices in many different areas. Convincing shops to over order is one that doesn't get talked about much. Shops put a lot of value in having a relationship with Marvel, and I believe that Marvel pushed books they knew were bad on them. Secret Empire, yes, but especially Legacy. It doesn't matter if the books were being ordered at regular cost or special rates (like Legacy). Stores wound up with volume their customer base couldn't sustain. Your average $3.99 Marvel comic costs the retailer around $2.30. That adds up. It hurts stores, especially small ones. Radical and inconsistent shifts in characters and titles, bad attitudes from creators, and pushing bad books on stores is a recipe for disaster. Marvel may have reported a record low sales last year, but too many stores also went out of business. Some of them were around for decades.

One of the things they pushed for Legacy was a new exciting story and a collector's item. It was none of that. This isn't the 70s, 80s, or early 90s anymore. The reason why comics became so collectable was because the audience is way, way larger than it is now. If you wanted to read a classic story or first appearance of a character, you had to go and track down those issues. Now if a book is popular a second printing is only a couple weeks away. There are trade paperbacks of every story arc. If you don't want to deal with any of that, you can purchase it digitally and have it instantly. Thankfully some retailers didn't take the bait. The order ratio for a lenticular was too much even for a large store with a healthy readership for a title. A couple stores only ordered lenticulars as a favor to their subscribers.

So no. Didn't like that. It was wasteful. It was manipulating people and hurting their bottom line. You don't need to do that. Just make good books. Make good books, believe in them, and people would read that. One of the most popular titles at the store I used to work for is an indy title that did just that.

4 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

One of the things they pushed for Legacy was a new exciting story and a collector's item. It was none of that. This isn't the 70s, 80s, or early 90s anymore. The reason why comics became so collectable was because the audience is way, way larger than it is now.

When aren’t they? When Marvel launched Legacy, the first issue for each book gave you the math for how they came up with their numbering. It’s somewhat embarrassing when you see a number of series go less then 20 issues multiple times from 2011 to 2017. Punisher and Moon Knight are the worst offenders. Every con features dealers trying to sell the new #1s for a pretty penny. At least they aren’t doing that thing from the ‘90s calling things “collector’s items” on the cover. Once you personally declare something collectible, it ceases being collectible because everyone is getting it.

Typo on my part. I meant the audience was way, way larger than it is now. Comparing the sales numbers is pretty staggering. Declaring something as collectible was the problem with Legacy #1. They put that out with no follow up, sold it to stores like that, and some retailers fell for it. That's unethical business on Marvel's part. Good riddance to Axel Alonso.

ETA: It wasn't just Alonso. There are others still at the company that played a big part in that. It's one of the reasons why I pulled a lot of support from Marvel. I only support the books from good creators.

Edited by Dwaine

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

Typo on my part. I meant the audience was way, way larger than it is now. Comparing the sales numbers is pretty staggering. Declaring something as collectible was the problem with Legacy #1. They put that out with no follow up, sold it to stores like that, and some retailers fell for it. That's unethical business on Marvel's part. Good riddance to Axel Alonso.

ETA: It wasn't just Alonso. There are others still at the company that played a big part in that. It's one of the reasons why I pulled a lot of support from Marvel. I only support the books from good creators.

I dunno, I think Marvel has more hits then misses at the moment. Venom has been a superb book, the first issue of ASM was promising, Cap was good but not my cup of tea, Runaways may just be my most anticipated book every month, both of Chip Zdarsky’s books have been great lately, Daredevil had a bit of a dip in quality during Mayor Fisk but has since been on the rise again.

Marvel has the opposite problem that DC has. DC has been banking on the same like four people (Scott Snyder and Tom King in particular, Bendis looks to be next) and so they have a very thin stable of names. Marvel has been taking risks with new creators, some of whom never wrote comics before. Some have worked out (Rainbow Rowell, Ta-Nehisi Coates, depending on who you ask, Mariko Tamaki did a #$*! job with She-Hulk but X-23 is supposedly good, Kelly Thompson), while others have not (what’s her name that did America). Ultimately, I prefer Marvel’s approach because you might get something shocking and good out of it. You know what to expect with Scott Snyder or Tom King, the latter of whom Marvel took a risk by having him do a bizarre yet ultimately beloved Vision series.