1 hour ago, Soera said:

My kid's mother would have been furious. Mr Jones is her favorite song of all time. She did go see them last August and they did play it then. Cant imagine what would make them play a show without their *by far* most popular song.

It makes sense. I can’t speak to what they were thinking, but sometimes a band will dislike their most famous song, don’t like that it’s more popular then their other songs that they like more, try to spotlight other songs in their catalogue, or just plain old get sick of playing it all the time.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YangustheLegendaryBandit

• eal

• Democrobot

• Plattym3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On my way home I spotted three big dogs. They'd gotten out of their yard and were going on a grand adventure. Didn't want them to get lost or hurt, so I corralled them at a park and loaded them into m

Oh @Plattym3, I made something for you. Warning DQXI Post-game spoilers  

I managed to get all prepped for the upcoming Pokemon tournament. Hoping it goes well this time around. Ex and I have been reconnecting. We both admit to making mistakes last time.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Soera said:

She did go see them last August and they did play it then.

Haha, my friend says, "That's not this year is it!"

Live opened. For some reason Dennis Rodman joined them on stage during Lightening Crashes. Live was my first big concert ever, and the first time I ever went to a show at this arena. Big Audio Dynamite opened for them. I was about to start my senior year in high school. I'm not old. Shut up.

It makes sense. I can’t speak to what they were thinking, but sometimes a band will dislike their most famous song, don’t like that it’s more popular then their other songs that they like more, try to spotlight other songs in their catalogue, or just plain old get sick of playing it all the time.

It doesn't. Look, I get it, but when you do a 25th anniversary tour, you get your ass out there and you play that #$*!in' song! My friends said it was the saddest concert ever. They said Adam Duritz just got up there and gave long, sad diatribes about every song and that was the "gift" to the fans who all came to hear one song in 100 degree heat and ball sticking humidity.

I just looked up Adam Duritz and he's evolving into Gene Shalit.

We were looking up reactions and someone just responded with this.

tenor.gif?itemid=5870019

I need to go play the lottery. Like, seriously!

This run all started at 6am last Thursday. Got an email about after-school clubs that day from our coordinator a full month earlier than she typically hits us up. Here's where the good news begins.

1. She's splitting our current after-school program into 4 sessions instead of 3. Which affects pretty much nothing but my pay. I get paid a flat rate per kid per session, so with 3 sessions instead of 4, I should make 33% more!

2. By 8am that day, emails and texts were flying because I'm supposed to revive our Robotics program with the head of Technology. I asked him to approach my boss by excusing me from Wednesday meetings. Kids leave an hour early Wednesday so teachers can have meetings. I told him I'd go to the monthly staff meeting, but I don't have meetings the other weeks anyway and I could do a Robotics team easily for 2 hours Wednesday instead of other days. He talked to my director... approved!

3. My boss sees me Friday afternoon and leads with, "Hey, Mr. _________ quit and we're a bit thin numbers-wise at that grade, so we're not filling the position, you get a classroom again." WAHOO! I've taught out of a conference room for over a year, can't wait to have a bathroom and my own big room again. Oh, and also...

4. Since the dude quit, I may get a bigger stipend for doing some tech work he was going to do + my Robotics team!!

5. Today my 2 elementary school bosses are talking to me and slip me an advanced version of my schedule. It's #$*!ing amazing. I've had the most contact teaching hours daily of any teacher for 3 years. It's ok because I don't have much to grade or plan, so it's fine, but I haven't had a lunch period in 2 years. This year they moved my first class an hour later so I start out with planning (perfect, I get the day ready), and all but cut out a full hour of my teaching. They literally said, "Meh, what do you do in 1st grade anyway, we can just phase that out." my jaw dropped. Then they said, "It'll also keep substitutes from going crazy when they come in to sub for you." So freaking stoked!

I'm sure a shoe will drop at some point, but right now with my masters degree program ending soon (last dissertation draft due August 1, 1 week for the professor to read it, some revisions to make before August 23rd & done) and a much easier and profitable year ahead... I'm on cloud 9!

• Like 3

I've been having even more anxiety than normal. I can't even bring myself to leave home most days. This will be a heccing way to ring in my 21st tomorrow.

Amazing how a senior editor for Game Informer doesn't know that Sugiyama operates in a unique position outside the company as a contractor. Sugiyama in all likelihood doesn't know when DQ XI comes out in America or even cares.

I am strongly considering purging my comic collection. Cutting the fat, getting rid of books I have no interest in owning anymore. Then I’m gonna convert to trade paperbacks to save space. I have a few issues that would sell better then the original retail (for example Thanos #13 is trending upwards at the moment thanks to it being the first appearance of Cosmic Ghost Rider), and that and the random fluff help offset the cost.

If I do this, I’ll still mostly be buying floppies. I have no interest in getting TPBs of long running comics like Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Venom.

I have 9 boxes right now. If I can bring it down to 6 I’d consider it a win.

2 hours ago, eal said:

I am strongly considering purging my comic collection. Cutting the fat, getting rid of books I have no interest in owning anymore. Then I’m gonna convert to trade paperbacks to save space. I have a few issues that would sell better then the original retail (for example Thanos #13 is trending upwards at the moment thanks to it being the first appearance of Cosmic Ghost Rider), and that and the random fluff help offset the cost.

If I do this, I’ll still mostly be buying floppies. I have no interest in getting TPBs of long running comics like Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Venom.

I have 9 boxes right now. If I can bring it down to 6 I’d consider it a win.

Id be interested in seeing what Dr Strange related stuff you have!

36 minutes ago, Soera said:

Id be interested in seeing what Dr Strange related stuff you have!

Nothing terribly impressive. He was always just a background guy to me. I read Donny Cates recent run and that’s it.

Applied for two different jobs today. It’s been more than a month since I went in for the bank interview, and since that seems to be a bust I’m trying elsewhere. We’ll see what happens I guess.

Great aunt is dying. Kidneys are failing. Lungs sometimes fill up with water. She doesn't have long to live.

2 hours ago, Democrobot said:

Great aunt is dying. Kidneys are failing. Lungs sometimes fill up with water. She doesn't have long to live.

Very sorry to hear this.  My mother-in-law had a small stroke this week, too.  Not a great week it seems. 

So you know that bank job I applied for way back in May? Yeah, they only now have contacted me to tell me I didn’t get the job. Why on earth did they wait 2 months just to tell me that? Guess it’s a good thing I’ve been applying for other jobs.

Honestly a pretty bad end to an overall shitty week.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
So you know that bank job I applied for way back in May? Yeah, they only now have contacted me to tell me I didn’t get the job. Why on earth did they wait 2 months just to tell me that? Guess it’s a good thing I’ve been applying for other jobs.
Honestly a pretty bad end to an overall shitty week.
I never understand the inability of some for the common courtesy "no" reply to anything: jobs, dates, party RSVP, etc.

It's the weekend, Twinsie. End of the line for bad times, hope next week is on the upswing!
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I never understand the inability of some for the common courtesy "no" reply to anything: jobs, dates, party RSVP, etc.

Same. To me, it is just the polite thing to do. I can understand in some cases where there may be hundreds of applicants that it isn't feasible to reply to all those who didn't get it but in those cases there are usually more than one wave of interviews so they could totally do it after the number thins down.

I've been doing reading on anxiety disorders and relating them to my current condition. It would appear that my physical pain (burning, aches, pins and needles, numbness) would be due to compression on the nerves hence why none of the tests have shown anything wrong. Would also explain with the pain spreads through the body as muscles are everywhere. Lack of blood flow to hands and feet are also common with anxiety. Compression of organs from the body tensing up is not unheard of either. Much of my physical ailments can be traced to anxiety. As it stands though, I have no reason to be anxious so if I had to place my best judgement on the situation, I have a general anxiety disorder and have had this for over a year. By definition, this would make me legally considered disabled should the proper professionals sign on with the notion. I do hate having to end up going that route but if I can't be around people and have limitations from the pain, it will be challenging to find work. Rather unfortunate given what I had hoped to achieve in life but financial security is important to secure and even though the payments would still be under a living wage, I have ways to handle my expenses so that I don't need to worry as much.

We bpught a few ceiling fans to install in the house...the guy came out today to install them. Since hes a family friend he usually does stufd like this for mega cheap. We were looking at maybe $100 per fan.

He got in the attic and everytime he started handling any of thw wiring it would fall apart in his hands due to age. So now we have to have the house rewired. Which will probably be around $2000.

And my son will be born in a little over a month.

Anyone have a link to a good comic book price guide? This has inspired me to check the value on some of the stuff I collected as a teenager.

15 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

We bpught a few ceiling fans to install in the house...the guy came out today to install them. Since hes a family friend he usually does stufd like this for mega cheap. We were looking at maybe $100 per fan.

He got in the attic and everytime he started handling any of thw wiring it would fall apart in his hands due to age. So now we have to have the house rewired. Which will probably be around $2000.

And my son will be born in a little over a month.

Anyone have a link to a good comic book price guide? This has inspired me to check the value on some of the stuff I collected as a teenager.

Gocollect.com

However, site price guides vary wildly and they take condition into account as well, which is, if you’re not familiar, a ridiculously intense grading system. If you find anything of high value, it’s also sometimes worth thinking about sending it in to the CGC to get it officially graded and slabbed in a case, thereby boosting its resale value.

Gocollect.com
However, site price guides vary wildly and they take condition into account as well, which is, if you’re not familiar, a ridiculously intense grading system. If you find anything of high value, it’s also sometimes worth thinking about sending it in to the CGC to get it officially graded and slabbed in a case, thereby boosting its resale value.
Yeah I've thought about doing that for my Golden Record Reprints of the first issues of Spidey, FF, Hulk, Thor. Its just expensive.
16 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
17 minutes ago, eal said:
Gocollect.com

Yeah I've thought about doing that for my Golden Record Reprints of the first issues of Spidey, FF, Hulk, Thor. Its just expensive.

The cost and hassle is really only worth it  if you have something of high value or you’re speculating on a comic’s value being high down the line. Lots of books are worth something now, but will only depreciate in value over time. Amazing Spider-Man #1 (for the third time) will only be worth anything for as long as it’s still the current #1. You’ll find that most expensive new comics are only valuable during the con season it comes out and then is never seen again.

Also, as an aside, I don’t like the way autographs work with them. So, I have Revival #1 signed by Tim Seeley, Mike Norton, and Jenny Frison, the creative team behind it. If, say, I wanted to get it graded by them, they would put in the little info box that it has names written on it, not that it was necessarily signed. It won’t lower the score, I believe. A signature will only be credited as a signature if you have an official witness observing the signature, and then it will be sent off for grading. The eff? Who has time to deal with that? And who wants to look like a bit of tool waiting in line with someone you don’t know watching you get something signed so it can then get graded for the eventual selling of it?

The cost and hassle is really only worth it  if you have something of high value or you’re speculating on a comic’s value being high down the line. Lots of books are worth something now, but will only depreciate in value over time. Amazing Spider-Man #1 (for the third time) will only be worth anything for as long as it’s still the current #1. You’ll find that most expensive new comics are only valuable during the con season it comes out and then is never seen again.
Also, as an aside, I don’t like the way autographs work with them. So, I have Revival #1 signed by Tim Seeley, Mike Norton, and Jenny Frison, the creative team behind it. If, say, I wanted to get it graded by them, they would put in the little info box that it has names written on it, not that it was necessarily signed. It won’t lower the score, I believe. A signature will only be credited as a signature if you have an official witness observing the signature, and then it will be sent off for grading. The eff? Who has time to deal with that? And who wants to look like a bit of tool waiting in line with someone you don’t know watching you get something signed so it can then get graded for the eventual selling of it?
Has the price of grading changed? Last I heard it was like $250.

I used the website you mentioned and the golden record reprint of The Avengers was valued at like $3000 with a near perfect score. Some of the books in this set have impressions that vinyl records left on them while one or two have no such marks. And other than that they look like they're in fantastic condition though I admit that I'm no expert. I just would think that it'd be difficult to find 62 year old comic books that look as good as the ones I have here.

It just seems like a lot to take on to spend that much to have four or five books graded and then wait around to find a potential buyer though. We could spend the money to have them graded only for nobody to be interested in them. Hell, I wouldn't even know where to sell them.
8 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Has the price of grading changed? Last I heard it was like $250.

I used the website you mentioned and the golden record reprint of The Avengers was valued at like $3000 with a near perfect score. Some of the books in this set have impressions that vinyl records left on them while one or two have no such marks. And other than that they look like they're in fantastic condition though I admit that I'm no expert. I just would think that it'd be difficult to find 62 year old comic books that look as good as the ones I have here.

It just seems like a lot to take on to spend that much to have four or five books graded and then wait around to find a potential buyer though. We could spend the money to have them graded only for nobody to be interested in them. Hell, I wouldn't even know where to sell them.

Prices vary.

Another site you can use is MyComicShop. You notice the prices are different there. It’s really one of those, get a general idea and throw it up on eBay kind of thing, in my opinion.

Definitely don't want to go the ungraded route for these comics. From what I've seen they're still fairly valuable even though they're reprints. They're the only ones my dad never sold when he sold all of his comics back in the 70's and they've been mostly well cared for, for most of their lives.

Guess I'll be looking into sending these off to the CGC.

22 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Because if you select "not going" you don't get notifications and can't watch the drama unfold.

• Like 1
  • Woodus changed the title to What's New With You?