Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

29 minutes ago, BorisTheWizard said:

I'd never use my magic for menial tasks.

I CASTS THE SPELLS THAT MAKES THE PEOPLES FALL DOWN!

So you’re saying there’s a chance....

48 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

So you’re saying there’s a chance....

Nope, just referencing a web comic from the early 00's

Edited by BorisTheWizard

I have a growing affection for the chair smash meme.

16 minutes ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Nope, just referencing a web comic from the early 00's

And I’m referencing a movie!

7 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

And I’m referencing a movie!

And I am without reference to anything!

In a surprising turn of events, I’ve been actually beating games. I cleared to routes in Bad Apple Wars, now trying to clear them all, I’ve been edging my way through Nightmare difficulty in Alan Wake (it’s just the bits where I have to dash from one light source to the next while being chased by Taken that’s slowing my progress), and I’m almost finished with Professor Layton and the Curious Village. Maybe 2 hours left at most.

I have my eyes set on completing all three. There are maybe only 40 puzzles left in Layton, Bad Apple Wars is mostly a matter of taking time to read through all the routes (I don’t like skipping through VNs unless I’ve seen those bits of dialogue already), and Alan Wake will take some doing, but it’s mostly just grabbing collectibles, which I’m very close to finishing. I just need to push through Nightmare mode.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, eal said:

To all of you that think Disney is ruining Star Wars, it could have been so much worse:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a21343712/george-lucas-star-wars-7-9-plot/

At some point they'll probably make a Jodorowsky's Dune-styled documentary about Lucas' version of the Star Wars sequels, with a focus on the deteriorating quality of his ideas.

I do think the new Star Wars movies are terrible (Force hologram Luke? Bratty hipster Vader?). They're not as bad as the prequels, but they're still no where near up to par with the quality of the original films. But that's okay. I'm okay with Star Wars being a moment in time that was almost recaptured by Rogue One. Everything else just feels like fan fiction.

20 minutes ago, Liamland said:

At some point they'll probably make a Jodorowsky's Dune-styled documentary about Lucas' version of the Star Wars sequels, with a focus on the deteriorating quality of his ideas.

I do think the new Star Wars movies are terrible (Force hologram Luke? Bratty hipster Vader?). They're not as bad as the prequels, but they're still no where near up to par with the quality of the original films. But that's okay. I'm okay with Star Wars being a moment in time that was almost recaptured by Rogue One. Everything else just feels like fan fiction.

People can hate these new movies and the prequels as much as they want. But I never understood the “this ruined my childhood! Fire Kathleen Kennedy!” mentality.

First, as someone here pointed out earlier, Disney’s first motivation is money, which they are making plenty of under Kathleen Kennedy. Solo was their first fumble, but so far, that just makes it an outlier, not the norm, and it had a lot working against it.

Second, a new trilogy you can ignore doesn’t ruin the old stuff. The only thing it ruined was the Extended Universe stuff because it destroyed decades of story people seemed to be enjoying (and if you feel slighted for that reason, then I think it’s justified). People did this with Ghostbusters too. Marketing aside, there were people who felt it ruined their childhood simply for existing, even though a new Ghostbusters movie wasn’t gonna come otherwise (and funny how people forget Ghostbusters 2...), and they put out so many OG Ghostbusters toys alongside the toys for the new movie.

Look, Spider-Man is my favorite hero, and I loved those Raimi films, but my mixed emotions on 3 and the Webb films don’t ruin the first two for me. My wish that we could revisit those old movies doesn’t make me hate what they did in Homecoming. Mulan is my favorite Disney movie, and I can totally ignore Mulan 2 without it ruining the first film for me. People need to accept that the new thing doesn’t tarnish the way you feel about the old thing unless you let it.

Yeah, there's a certain hardcore element of fanbases that just make you self-hate as a fan. Those who would actively troll an actor in a movie, or Rick and Morty fans who throw tantrums at McDonalds because they're out of a sauce that was mentioned in one episode...those "fans" need to seriously rethink their priorities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eal said:

But I never understood the “this ruined my childhood! Fire Kathleen Kennedy!” mentality.

Two different things.

The "ruins my childhood" bit is an exaggerated response to the anger that happens when stories and characters you're loyal to end up under management that produces an inferior version of the same. Not every case is deserved or even based in anything worthwhile -- fans can be petty jackasses.

Now, "Fire Kathleen Kennedy" is a distinct issue, given she somehow has been given charge of a franchise based on stories of a genre and themes that by all appearances she doesn't get and doesn't want to get.  Between her running running through more than a half-dozen directors trying to find someone who will finally #$*!ing do what she wants and the increasingly dubious quality of each new installment, right up to The Last Jedi being downright incoherent, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the girl is no good for the franchise.

(Technically, scuttlebutt is Disney's Bob Iger wants to fire Kennedy but can't find anyone to replace her).

Edited by JaybirdC

45 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

Two different things.

The "ruins my childhood" bit is an exaggerated response to the anger that happens when stories and characters you're loyal to end up under management that produces an inferior version of the same. Not every case is deserved or even based in anything worthwhile -- fans can be petty jackasses.

Now, "Fire Kathleen Kennedy" is a distinct issue, given she somehow has been given charge of a franchise based on stories of a genre and themes that by all appearances she doesn't get and doesn't want to get.  Between her running running through more than a half-dozen directors trying to find someone who will finally #$*!ing do what she wants and the increasingly dubious quality of each new installment, right up to The Last Jedi being downright incoherent, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the girl is no good for the franchise.

(Technically, scuttlebutt is Disney's Bob Iger wants to fire Kennedy but can't find anyone to replace her).

This first bit applies to your first bit you responded to. I’ll just preface this by saying this next bit doesn’t apply to you, I’m just speaking in general terms.

There is a lot of pushback from fans when creatives involved in a product refer to fans negatively, such as when Rian Johnson referred to certain fans as “manbabies.” They act like it’s a personal slight against all fans, as if he is calling all Star Wars fans manbabies, when he’s only referring to the jackasses that are harassing Kelly Marie Tran. “Not all fans are like that, only certain fans.” Yeah, and those certain fans are who they’re referring to. He’s not going “you don’t like my movie? Well, you’re manbabies.” In this case, Rian Johnson even clarified that he thinks the vast majority of Star Wars fans are great people.

And it’s not just the “manbabies” comments. That’s just the most immediate on I can think of. Fans think any time a creative fires back by attacking the trolls and a-holes are also attacks at all fans. People will say, “well, why would you insult your fans?” Because they don’t want toxic fans.

Also, it sounds like you’re speaking with authority that the new movies “inferior” when that’s just a personal opinion your projecting. I liked The Last Jedi, I don’t really know anyone who that it was incoherent so I don’t know where that was coming from, and a lot of people I’ve spoken to have liked it. They saw faults in it, I have as well, but that doesn’t make it totally a bad movie. The reason I linked that article was to show “the new management” are doing a better job then Lucas, old management, probably would have. The last good Star Wars movie was 40 years ago, and Episode VI is widely considered the worst of the trilogy, good as it may be.

Whoever they are, it's nice to see Japanese guys laugh a little :) Everyone makes mistakes.

Yep. Like E.T. Sometimes you get only 1 shot.

If Kathleen Kennedy came to eat at my restaurant, I'd quietly ask her to leave & refuse to bake her wedding cake.

51 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yep. Like E.T. Sometimes you get only 1 shot.

If Kathleen Kennedy came to eat at my restaurant, I'd quietly ask her to leave & refuse to bake her wedding cake.

Credit where it’s due, r/TheDonald took the company’s side on the issue (though that didn’t stop them from attacking the restaurant and trying to dig up dirt on it).

Another night of near perfect weather. No fire pit tonight, but as somebody who doesn't have AC, I'll take it.

Also, I've been pretty enthralled with Dragon Warrior Monsters recently. SGDQ even has me in the mood to maybe try and speedrun it.

I had my therapy today

So... basically, I am mere steps away from being clinically depressed. So much as the death of my elder grandmother can push me there. A lot of my issues stem from the chronic pain. I can't socialize, I can't work, I can't go to school. I can barely even do my daily life anymore. My anti depressants won't work with me. My gabapentin is underwhelming now. Life as I knew it is falling apart. Even the therapist agreed that I have so much on my plate that I may not be able to stop this train ride. I see a psychiatrist on the 19th of July to hopefully slow this down. In a perfect world we would find a solution to all this but I don't think we will. I'm just not sure what will happen anymore. And as a bonus kicker, I can't romantically move on until my ex and I end this limbo that was set up. So much of my life is out of my hands and all I can do is sit and watch it happen. It's a struggle for me.

Dodging bullets like I’m Neo today.

40 minutes ago, eal said:

Dodging bullets like I’m Neo today.

Finding out it was Dio okay?

Spoiler

I'm not sorry for using that meme.

Did a little interview with a local magazine. Check it out!

• Like 5

So, 2nd chapter of my Master's thesis was turned in today. Gotta get going on the 3rd chapter asap, rumor is that despite 2 months until due date, all academic advising by professors (which I'm depending on for advice) cuts off in 3 weeks. There are people in my program that are just today starting, so I'm glad I'm 7,900/12,000 words done. Need to get an introduction done and then dive heavily into statistical analysis of my data - fun.

Did a little interview with a local magazine. Check it out!
Nice job!

Having just beat Curious Village, I’ve noticed one of the strangest patterns ever.

St. Mystere, Folsense, and Future London are all elaborate sets and not real towns.

Spoilers for a decade old trilogy that nobody evidently plays.

Edited by eal

Work is really starting to make me go like this:

I’m so glad next week I’ll be on a mini-vacation  to Le Mars, Iowa. Gonna be gone from July 4 - July 9th.

27 minutes ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Apparently the internet is die right now

Die, you say?

Yeah, working on a IT Help desk of a company with branches all around the country when there's a nationwide ISP issue is not fun. At all. Oh well, glad I'm home now.