Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

Oh no...no.  So is it really Kingsley's acting or the writing and director?  I mean, his performance in Suspect Zero is so counter to what you describe, so he's perfectly capable of playing a character like The Mandarin.  A very competent, strong, manipulative, and capable bad guy.

Yeah, it was a pretty lame "red herring" plot, where they intentionally mislead you to think the villain is who he says, when he's really just a puppet.  The problem is that when they use that device in a superhero movie, with established characters, they end up destroying any canon or audience expectations.  They used the same red herring plot device in Batman Begins, with Ra's Al Ghul (and they also pronounced his name incorrectly.)  The result of using a red herring in a comic book movie typically makes it villain-weak.

It was also established actor Ben Kingsley making a trite, low-brow "don't go in there" bathroom joke.  I was seriously bummed out when I watched that movie.  And that wasn't even all that I thought was wrong with it.

But I'd rather focus on the really good Marvel movies, like Avengers, Thor, Iron Man 1, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America 2, and of course: Turkish Captain America and Santo vs. Spider-man.

http://drafthouse.com/movies/turkish-captain-america-and-santo-vs.-spider-man/austin

Edited by Liamland

I actually wasn't totally against the Ra's al Ghul reveal (and thank you for pointing out that they pronounced his name incorrectly!) because they kept the true Ra's al Ghul's character intact. He remained who he was in the comics, whereas Ben Kingsley's/Guy Pierce's Mandarin was more of a name than a character.

I guess I was hoping for more of a Batman: TAS - Lazarus Pit, Ra's Al Ghul. I did enjoy Batman Begins, I just enjoyed Dark Knight way better, and it had a really strong villain.

Going bowling tomorrow night. Should be fun. I've gotten a lot better.

As for my cold, it seems to have gone away for the most part.

• Upvote 1

You know, I could never figure out exactly they determine GPA ratings here in the U.S.

Mine is 2.7, 2.5 is minimum for passing, 4.0 is the highest. Speaking of pity... I defeated Dhoulmagus in DQ8 and am taking care of some issues in Arcadia.

If that was Canada, it would probably be a 2.0 for a pass, since 50% is a pass.

Also, I found this, so I decided to share this here:

10307396_10201782734169666_2978707766899

Over here, not even 50% is passing, 60% is(unless there was a massive change in education years after my graduation).

My school operates on the "you-know-the-majority-you-pass" system. Not the best system.

U.S. schools used to go by 70% to pass(I think colleges still do that, someone correct me if I'm wrong), so both Ds and Fs were failing grades.

Thank God my college doesn't require a 70 to pass......

Okay then... I never went to college myself, but I heard of some doing 70% passing. I guess it just depends on the college.

You know, I could never figure out exactly they determine GPA ratings here in the U.S.

Mine is 2.7, 2.5 is minimum for passing, 4.0 is the highest. Speaking of pity... I defeated Dhoulmagus in DQ8 and am taking care of some issues in Arcadia.

If that was Canada, it would probably be a 2.0 for a pass, since 50% is a pass.

Also, I found this, so I decided to share this here:

10307396_10201782734169666_2978707766899

Over here, not even 50% is passing, 60% is(unless there was a massive change in education years after my graduation).

My school operates on the "you-know-the-majority-you-pass" system. Not the best system.

U.S. schools used to go by 70% to pass(I think colleges still do that, someone correct me if I'm wrong), so both Ds and Fs were failing grades.

We don't have F's or D's or B's or C's or A's. Also, I was talking to my Calc teacher from last year and she said that a pass on the 4.0 scale would be a 1.4.

So, on Saturday, my friend is moving away. We plan to have a small send off for him tomorrow after school.

Right, on the 4.0 scale, 0~.9 = F, 1~1.9 = D, 2~2.9 = C, 3~3.9 = B, 4~4.5 or just 4 = A.  Some allow for 4.5 to differentiate A+ students.

Technically, yes, D is a fail grade, however, some schools will often evaluate students with D's, and may allow a passing, or give an evaluation test to see where to go from there, and because some students are TOO BRIGHT and actually fail because they're bored, and simply don't care to put in any effort, but may have been overlooked because the parents never thought to test the mental capabilities of their child (you'd be surprised how many Genius level IQ's go unnoticed, and what a potentially small pool of the actual genius and subgenius level IQ's are represented by groups like Mensa...it's one reason many telecom companies, security companies, military companies, scientific research groups, and government agencies are using specialized "tests" such as solving riddles, codes, or decrypting messages for finding such individuals, or at least a portion that went under the radar).  Some have disabilities...all depends on the school system though, and state.

I remember taking an online IQ test. It stated mine was 124, which isn't genius level, but it's still better than I expected(I was thinking it would be slightly over a 100). The test also mentioned I was a visual mathematician.

Of course, to get a better look at my IQ in general, I'd have to at least take a few tests to get a better look at my range. IQs can be fickle.

True. And IQ is just a basic potential measurement. It has very few correlations to anything.

I want to take an iq test...

Yesterday I watched Edge of Tomorrow. It was a good movie, but there were a lot of unanswered questions left at the end off the film. Apparently it's based on a Japanese novel called All You Need Is Kill. I'll have to see if there's a translated audio book on YouTube that I can listen to while I work. (With work, all my projects, School, social life, etc., I don't have the time to devote to sitting down each night and actually reading a physical book.)

Funny that you mention that because I picked up the manga drawn by Takeshi Obata at Barnes and Noble yesterday and it is absolutely amazing. The ending is completely different though, and honestly, better.

Of course, to get a better look at my IQ in general, I'd have to at least take a few tests to get a better look at my range. IQs can be fickle.

Yeah, no kidding.  Sometime after I turned 1, my mum took me in for an IQ test, and apparently they make them for babies, or did, and I scored a 127.  A bunch of years ago I took a test and hit 183.  Then I took a test online a few years ago, while watching TV, and hit 128, totally distracted, lol.  Yeah, it doesn't mean much, and the scoring is based on speed, memory, and analysis ability.  Much like you can train your brain to recognize specific pattern types, you can alter your scores based on multiple factors.  I'm sure everyone has specific limits, but the more the brain is used, the more receptors are developed, and the more energy and information is passed, and the faster it's passed.  People say you don't redevelop brain tissue, but this is entirely untrue, especially giving the brain can reroute and create new cells on command, by simply focusing, as witnessed by people who have survived massive head injuries or major surgeries, and developed whole new channels and ways of thinking, even new skillsets.  A mathematician becomes a painter of incredible skill, despite not being able to paint or draw prior to said accident.

Though I've hit my head so many times, who knows how much damage has been done?

Anyway, diet, exercise, constantly working out the brain, healthy sleep patterns, minimal stress, and full focus probably play a large part in the range of your IQ.  I question the 183 though, but it was from a national aptitude test for IQ.  I forget where I took it.  Online or offline.  Anyway, it is curious why so massive a range, but then my last test was one of those online hokey test sites that you have to question, and I was watching TV.  Though since my 183, I've had a few massive head injuries, including one that broke my skull and forced a large portion of it down, into my brain.  I never went to a doctor to have it checked out, but I can't afford to, nor could I back then (ha, and I had a $500 deductible back then, but no, the plan did little to cover that, it would've been 2,000 up front, or 1,500? I forgot, but it was a high cost up front for a brain scan, before insurance kicked in).

Edit:

Now I remember the 183, that was back in college!  Still don't recall it if was online or offline.  I think my memory is way off on this, I recall taking an IQ test, I recall it being very high, but I'm not sure it was 183 anymore.  :/

Edited by ignasia7

I was never tested as a baby, kind of surprised that some would develop IQ tests for those that age. But, then again, I guess researchers need some stuff to work on for every level.

Edited by Stepchan

On Dragon Quest 8, I'm done in Blizzard Peaks. First encounter with those stupid Dead Ringers gave them a pre-emptive strike against my group. Gaaaah! Deaths count in total during the entire arc there: 2

First was Jessica due to that first encounter with those stupid bells. Second was my character, to a Frostburn's Thwack spell.

I couldn't find the fourth infamous monster there(which is findable, I cleared Rank D at the arena beforehand), so I decided to go back later when Holy Protection is more effective. All things said, I try to make my stay in that area short.

Went on a Ultimate Key treasure hunt, made different things in alchemy and now I'm back at Baccarat.

I want to play Dragon Quest! ...But I'm too tired to stumble through Japanese games right now, and at the moment I'm only interested in my new imports.

My friend moves away today. Hopefully I get to see him though since he only moved an hour away.

Yesterday, when I was supposed to be with my friend who was moving away (he was requested home immediately), I wound up playing my first game of Cards Against Humanity. It was awesome. I'll definitely have to order it (since you can't readily buy it in stores).

I went with a pal of mine to the local Tim Horton's. We had donuts and drinks and made fun of Seattle and Texas (and how they complained about it being cold). Afterwards, we hit up the Bulk Barn so he could stock up on some stuff for a cake he's making (quadruple chocolate cheesecake). I was on my way to Dairy Queen for dinner and since he was going the same way, we conversed. We talked about a Deadpool cologne called "Victory" that would smell like pancakes (in reference to the image I shared on here). We also talked about a Hunger Games prequel starring Haymitch. There was a debate about how the one person died at the end. We couldn't remember who threw the ax. A Hobbit discussion came up and we were predicting just what would happen in the final movie. We soon parted ways after this.

When I arrived at the Dairy Queen, I saw a group of people from school that I know (the girl I like included). I chose to eat alone for two reasons: there was no room for me at their table and my friend had dared me to put chocolate peanut butter cups onto a burger (I did but I removed them after I ate half of the burger). I later joined the others after they numbered two (that girl was still there) for a brief conversation before they got picked up. This made me realize that she is actually different than other girls. I don't think she has a single mean bone in her body. I didn't get to ask her out, but next time I see her I will (it's not a big school, so I will be seeing her).

When bowling came around, I was the first one there. It didn't take long before another showed up. Eventually, we numbered at four people. We bowled a game while we waited for the others to show up, but after an hour, we went to Dairy Queen. We had a nice conversation. Two of the girls were from China and the other was from Japan.

Also, on the topic of IQ tests, they only measure how well a person does on an IQ test, not overall intelligence.

EDIT: The aforementioned friend and I are turning myself into a series of memes. They should be ready sometime today (we have three: Nope, Seems Legit, and I approve)

Edited by Democrobot

If there's a comic book store in your area, you can easily get a copy of Cards Against Humanity.

If there's a comic book store in your area, you can easily get a copy of Cards Against Humanity.

No I can't. Nowhere sells it around here. It's not like going to the store and getting a Kinder Surprise Egg.

Came across this on a Facebook page called Funny Canadian Memes. I thought I'd share it here for y'all.

http://www.tickld.com/x/33-things-americans-should-know-about-canada-seriously

Democrobot, check out this site: http://pyx-1.socialgamer.net/game.jsp

It's a free online version of Cards Against Humanity. It claims it's a clone, but it includes all (I think?) the official cards as well as custom packs. You can choose which base games and which booster packs to include in your game when it starts.

It's cold. I hate it. Someone trade my spots :)

It's cold. I hate it. Someone trade my spots :)

I will!  :P But seriously, Canada, eh? Winter came a bit late this year. Usually we'd already have built a hoard of snowmen.