@eal

You read comics, so I thought I'd ask. I'm told it's a good series. The fact that the writers had the balls to kill off a popular character surprises me quite a bit though.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YangustheLegendaryBandit

• eal

• Democrobot

• Plattym3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On my way home I spotted three big dogs. They'd gotten out of their yard and were going on a grand adventure. Didn't want them to get lost or hurt, so I corralled them at a park and loaded them into m

Oh @Plattym3, I made something for you. Warning DQXI Post-game spoilers  

I managed to get all prepped for the upcoming Pokemon tournament. Hoping it goes well this time around. Ex and I have been reconnecting. We both admit to making mistakes last time.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Dwaine said:

Can't recommend Peter David's X-Factor stuff enough. The 90s run was pretty good. X-Factor 87 is one of my all-time favorite comics and the first time I ever saw Joe Quesada artwork. The second run, Madrox's X-Factor, is one of my all-time favorite titles. The last couple of arcs you can tell were rushed, but still well worth your time.

ETA: In fact...

MljBT8K.jpg

This jacket is essentially my "X-Factor Havok jacket."

The sad thing about it is every time you see a character from X-Factor pop up, it’s an attempt to immediately undermine his ending. Strong Guy was king of Hell for like two weeks before he was dethroned in Thunderbolts, Multiple Man died in Inhumans vs. X-Men, Wolfsbane and Strong Guy are on the same team again for some reason in the New Mutant miniseries?! Like what the hell? Didn’t he kill her kid? 

Never heard about what happened to Guido in Thunderbolts. Saw him in the New Mutants series and saw the tag line "got better." And yeah, didn't Rhane become a priest? I want to like that New Mutants series. In some spots the art works great, but in others it doesn't. At all! The writer made everyone super snotty. Fine for Boom Boom, but everyone else is acting noticeably out of character.

31 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Never heard about what happened to Guido in Thunderbolts. Saw him in the New Mutants series and saw the tag line "got better." And yeah, didn't Rhane become a priest? I want to like that New Mutants series. In some spots the art works great, but in others it doesn't. At all! The writer made everyone super snotty. Fine for Boom Boom, but everyone else is acting noticeably out of character.

Pretty much his first appearance after Hell on Earth War, the Thunderbolts ended up in Hell while trying to get rid of one of the teammates, and to get back or something they made a deal with Mephisto to dethrone Guido to be sent back. He decided he was gonna stay in Hell while trying to get his soul back or something.

Funny thing was that this was Venom and Red Hulk’s second trip to Hell, and I think the artist even aknowledged their hellmarks they got from the first trip. And I think Ghost Rider was along with them as well and the previous host was also given a hellmark. It would’ve been the perfect opportunity to resolve that storyline but it’s been left dangling ever since.

Edited by eal
Dunno where the Power Rangers question is coming from. Maybe one of the comic titles I mentioned was also the name of a Power Rangers comic miniseries? I haven’t engaged in anything related to Power Rangers since I was a kid watching it on Fox Box, I think.
Wikipedia says he wrote some, so I assume so. He has been around forever and has written everything.
I want to say he got his start writibg Trek novels but I might be wrong. Anyway, in the Trek lit-sphere, he and only a couple of other authors are sort of known as the poster-boys of Trek books. I think he consistently has the highest number of well-written Star Trek books. There arent many of his that are sub-par.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

I want to say he got his start writibg Trek novels but I might be wrong. Anyway, in the Trek lit-sphere, he and only a couple of other authors are sort of known as the poster-boys of Trek books. I think he consistently has the highest number of well-written Star Trek books. There arent many of his that are sub-par.

I think Marvel is where he first broke out. The Death of Jean DeWolff (spoilers lol) predates any of his Star Trek books.

While this has been a long week, today has proved to be pretty great. The bonus to it was these two:

Thanks to @Plattym3, I got Trails of Cold Steel. My good Twinsie mailed me his copy now that he’s finished the game. I’m hoping this one will get me more into the Legend of Heroes series, but from what everything Platty’s told me it sounds pretty good.

Meanwhile, I found Ni No Kuni 2 by chance. I was really surprised to find the version I did, and it was good timing since I was looking into the game last week. Never had the chance to play the first one, so I’m happy to have the chance to play NNK2.

I’ll be covered for RPGs until DQXI comes our way! Big thanks to Platty for sending Cold Steel my way!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Slowly healing. Am tired. Budgeting for travel to attend Pokémon events next season. Fun stuff. Also a girl may or may not like me in a romantic way but I can't tell

Almost time for God of War, boyos! I cannot #$*!ing wait to start kicking ass with Kratos again!

12 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Almost time for God of War, boyos! I cannot #$*!ing wait to start kicking ass with Kratos again!

You should play Dante’s Inferno.

Well, tomorrow we find out the sex of the baby.

• Like 2

Finished my antibiotics. Swelling is nearly all gone. Slept much more last night. I'm getting so much better

11 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Well, tomorrow we find out the sex of the baby.

Awesome! That was always a great time for me and my wife with our two girls.

And its a boy!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

And its a boy!

tenor.gif

My 8gb memory card just ain’t cutting it anymore. Invested in a 16gb card for my Vita. Had to import a Japanese copy from Play-Asia. You really #$*!ed that up, Sony.

Frame is off. I'm on a liquid and no chew diet still. Bruising around the eyes. Some soreness in the muscles and such. Wearing a cool bandage around my head for a week. It'll be fun

I finally have a day off tomorrow. Finished a 9 day streak of working today, so I'm more than happy to have tomorrow and Saturday to myself. Not sure what I'll do, but maybe I'll start up Ni No Kuni 2. I've been waiting till I had a day off to start it. Or I'll keep chugging along in either Ys VIII or Cold Steel.

We'll see what happens. Either way, I'm more than happy for some R&R.

Bought God of War. Haven't played much just yet, maybe around 40 minutes to an hour, but I'm liking it so far.

I’ve finished the Chûnin Exam arc (I can’t believe my phone auto-corrected Chunin...it’s the first time I’ve ever typed it in!)

It was as good as I remember it but in different ways then I remember. First! This arc actually made me like some characters a lot more, including  Hinata, the Third Hokage, and Rock Lee. Second! The love “power of friendship”-type lines were actually pretty solid and not too overly hokey. Third! A lot of arc exclusive characters actually had full circle storylines I completely forgot about. I remembered Hayate died, but I didn’t remember his girlfriend visiting his grave promising vengeance, or the sound ninja being used as the corpses to house the resurrected Hokages’ souls. Fourth! Sasuke was still made to look cool in an edgy way, but I never realized how little you see of him until his battle with Gaara begins and he gets his ass handed to him during it.

However...

Naruto’s fight with Neji actually kind of went against what the point was. Neji argued that you couldn’t escape your fate, and that Naruto was always destined to be a loser, but Naruto proves that there’s no such thing as destiny by overwhelming him with the Nine-Tailed Fox’s Power when it looked like he was gonna lose without it. He would have lost his battle had he not had an extra, untapped well of chakra that no one else has, so he basically cheated destiny instead of doing it with his own power.

This has been an issue since chapter one, but the manga also over explains every move and strategy, making battles a slog to read when they should flow smoothly. I felt like, at one point, I was actually sitting in a class reading a textbook when I saw three almost totally white pages with only simple diagrams as illustrations and text crammed onto every free inch describing how chakra is utilized when performing jutsu.

There was a huge continuity error I never noticed. Gaara’s Tailed Beast is described as a demon that was actually a person that was sealed in him, and Gaara might have actually been an attempt to create strong ninja, implying they planned to make more like him if was successful. This is a stark difference from what ended up being the actual truth of his powers, that being it was one of nine dangerous spirits sealed in an infant.

Also didn’t like seeing how all these murderers (Orochimaru, Kabuto, Gaara) all end up being forgiven by the end of the manga. This arc reminded me what casual murderers they were.

But worst of all, it started falling into the worst trap a shonen manga can fall into: characters growing stronger and stronger by the minute, finding ridiculous strength while on-lookers talk about how it shouldn’t be possible. Statements like, “in terms of x, he even exceeds y,” to give an example. At one point, a character mentions how Gaara has never even been scratched before, but by the end of the arc, he gets more and more wounded by his opponents in each fight.

Life without the frame feels weird. Just need to heal and I'm back to normal.

Also, I plan to save up $4000 or so in hopes that I can compete in Pokémon. That should cover me 5 major competitions and if I do well, I win stipends and scholarships and cash prizes too

• Woodus changed the title to What's New With You?