Shadow Kunoichi

What's New With You?

I'm not sure what to think about my current job anymore. It's sad that I miss my last job.

You know what they say: you never know what you got until it's gone.

Today is Rita Repulsa's birthday, or as I remember her, Starlight. She created this What's New with You? topic, which has now grown to massive proportions, so happy birthday to ye!

• Upvote 1

Today is Rita Repulsa's birthday, or as I remember her, Starlight. She created this What's New with You? topic, which has now grown to massive proportions, so happy birthday to ye!

I was gonna make an "also known as x, also known as x, also known as x" joke but it would take all day doing that.

Happy birthday!

Edited by eal

Disregard.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'm not sure what to think about my current job anymore. It's sad that I miss my last job.

You know what they say: you never know what you got until it's gone.
What happened on Friday made me realize how things have been here at my new job. I've felt like everything I do is being judged, and just this morning another incident occurred just because I didn't deliver some $#!&ing flyers last week. I don't even want to talk to my office supervisor about it because said person has made me feel like garbage because I did some venting in a conversation meant for my thoughts on the job.

I don't know what to do.

God, I feel your pain. At my job they expect you to be a mind reader. They give you piss poor training then get mad when something goes wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was gonna make an "also known as x, also known as x, also known as x" joke but it would take all day doing that.

Happy birthday!

Ah, I just realized her birthday is technically tomorrow, but in Japan it's currently August 10th.

tenor.gif

I had another talk at work, this time with another co-worker. Talking with this person really helped, as I felt things were being explained to me rather than feeling like I was being scolded. It was like night and day compared to this morning.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 2

I had another talk at work, this time with another co-worker. Talking with this person really helped, as I felt things were being explained to me rather than feeling like I was being scolded. It was like night and day compared to this morning.

Always a good thing! Glad things got a bit better.

My day took a $3k turn for the worse at work. Grrrrrrr... Not something I was banking on, but something I was hoping for and didn't even expect to be an issue as it was something I did last year but was told not to do this year (a club).

I forgot to mention this, but the other day there was this Japanese talk-show on, one of a standard template where they have a panel of Japanese celebrities and comedians commenting on different video interviews and game show clips (often with shots of their reactions shown in the corner of the videos that they're watching.)  Anyway, this particular video was a strange game-show that I didn't quite understand, but it involved three Japanese girls.  Suddenly a man rushes into the room and puts construction-hats on them with balloons on top (I never found out why, because it was dinnertime so we shut it off.)  However, after the girl's shock wore off from the dude rushing in to give them new "hats," they were handed a map.  As they were unfolding the map, slowly, some music started playing that I instantly recognized as the cave theme from Dragon Quest VIII.  It was only about 7 seconds of music, but it was unmistakable.  It was the orchestral version.  Pretty awesome to see DQ casually referenced in Japan's pop culture.  I wonder if they had to purchase music rights for those 7 seconds.

Edited by Liamland
  • Upvote 1

My brother, his girlfriend thingymabobber, thingymabobber's child, and my brother's friend are all staying with me at my dad's 2 bedroom 2 bath condo.

I forgot to mention this, but the other day there was this Japanese talk-show on, one of a standard template where they have a panel of Japanese celebrities and comedians commenting on different video interviews and game show clips (often with shots of their reactions shown in the corner of the videos that they're watching.) Anyway, this particular video was a strange game-show that I didn't quite understand, but it involved three Japanese girls. Suddenly a man rushes into the room and puts construction-hats on them with balloons on top (I never found out why, because it was dinnertime so we shut it off.) However, after the girl's shock wore off from the dude rushing in to give them new "hats," they were handed a map. As they were unfolding the map, slowly, some music started playing that I instantly recognized as the cave theme from Dragon Quest VIII. It was only about 7 seconds of music, but it was unmistakable. It was the orchestral version. Pretty awesome to see DQ casually referenced in Japan's pop culture. I wonder if they had to purchase music rights for those 7 seconds.

Sugiyama probably demanded somebody's firstborn for those 7 seconds.

I forgot to mention this, but the other day there was this Japanese talk-show on, one of a standard template where they have a panel of Japanese celebrities and comedians commenting on different video interviews and game show clips (often with shots of their reactions shown in the corner of the videos that they're watching.) Anyway, this particular video was a strange game-show that I didn't quite understand, but it involved three Japanese girls. Suddenly a man rushes into the room and puts construction-hats on them with balloons on top (I never found out why, because it was dinnertime so we shut it off.) However, after the girl's shock wore off from the dude rushing in to give them new "hats," they were handed a map. As they were unfolding the map, slowly, some music started playing that I instantly recognized as the cave theme from Dragon Quest VIII. It was only about 7 seconds of music, but it was unmistakable. It was the orchestral version. Pretty awesome to see DQ casually referenced in Japan's pop culture. I wonder if they had to purchase music rights for those 7 seconds.

Don't forget the sacrificial animal!

Nah, it wasn't in America. Probably just few million dollars' worth in Yen. (Dunno the exchange rate)

I started watching Godzilla vs. Biollante, but I stopped short, with the interest of taking notes. If you haven't already seen it, there are so many great moments within the first 10 minutes. First, it's scored by Koichi Sugiyama, so it has a vibe that sounds like a Dragon Quest game even from the start of the opening music. The movie is from 1989, which means he probably scored it right around the time he was finishing up writing the music for Dragon Quest III's 1988 release in Japan.  A lot of the dialogue is in English, with Japanese subtitles, which I can only guess is in response to the western popularity of the previous release Godzilla 1985 (or 1984, in Japan).  If Koichi Sugiyama's Godzilla score isn't enough to draw you to this film, the English dialogue is totally worth it.  Holy crap, is it bad!

Within the first 10 minutes you'll hear completely unnatural dialogue such as a group of American mercenaries, who have just pulled off an armed heist of stolen Godzilla DNA awkwardly saying things to each other like, "Alright, yeah, good, come on!" (that's one guy saying all that back-to-back) and "We've actually done it," like they're dude-bro amateurs, instead of serious, armed mercenaries.  Another favorite moment within the first 10 minutes is when a bomb goes off at a scientific research facility and one of the American female scientists fleeing the destruction just yells, "Hysteria!"

It's most likely the result of a foreign writer and/or director falling flat by using dialogue that they think Americans would say, but it is actually unnatural, like Italian director Sergio Leone making an American western called "Duck, You Sucker!"

Finally the last reason I recommend seeing this film is for the English dialogue spoken by foreigners in situations where they most definitely wouldn't be speaking English.  At 7:31 in the movie begins a conversation between a Japanese man speaking very labored and slow, horrible English with a Spanish man who is also speaking really slow broken-English.  The only reason they would do that is if that's the only common language they both spoke, but this is a movie--they can do whatever they want to clarify things for the audience, and yet in this situation they don't.  If this were any other movie they'd take actors who spoke English fluently or the characters would just be a Japanese man and a Spanish man who both speak Japanese.  I don't know what the hell is going on in this movie, but I can't wait to watch the rest.

Edited by Liamland

I totally forgot Sugiyama composed for movies. Might have to listen to the soundtrack if it's up on YouTube.

I started watching Godzilla vs. Biollante, but I stopped short, with the interest of taking notes. If you haven't already seen it, there are so many great moments within the first 10 minutes. First, it's scored by Koichi Sugiyama, so it has a vibe that sounds like a Dragon Quest game even from the start of the opening music. The movie is from 1989, which means he probably scored it right around the time he was finishing up writing the music for Dragon Quest III's 1988 release in Japan. A lot of the dialogue is in English, with Japanese subtitles, which I can only guess is in response to the western popularity of the previous release Godzilla 1985 (or 1984, in Japan). If Koichi Sugiyama's Godzilla score isn't enough to draw you to this film, the English dialogue is totally worth it. Holy crap, is it bad!

Within the first 10 minutes you'll hear completely unnatural dialogue such as a group of American mercenaries, who have just pulled off an armed heist of stolen Godzilla DNA awkwardly saying things to each other like, "Alright, yeah, good, come on!" (that's one guy saying all that back-to-back) and "We've actually done it," like they're dude-bro amateurs, instead of serious, armed mercenaries. Another favorite moment within the first 10 minutes is when a bomb goes off at a scientific research facility and one of the American female scientists fleeing the destruction just yells, "Hysteria!"

It's most likely the result of a foreign writer and/or director falling flat by using dialogue that they think Americans would say, but it is actually unnatural, like Italian director Sergio Leone making an American western called "Duck, You Sucker!"

Finally the last reason I recommend seeing this film is for the English dialogue spoken by foreigners in situations where they most definitely wouldn't be speaking English. At 7:31 in the movie begins a conversation between a Japanese man speaking very labored and slow, horrible English with a Spanish man who is also speaking really slow broken-English. The only reason they would do that is if that's the only common language they both spoke, but this is a movie--they can do whatever they want to clarify things for the audience, and yet in this situation they don't. If this were any other movie they'd take actors who spoke English fluently or the characters would just be a Japanese man and a Spanish man who both speak Japanese. I don't know what the hell is going on in this movie, but I can't wait to watch the rest.

Not the case! Shin Godzilla had a Japanese woman playing the US Envoy for the President. According to Wikipedia, she's quoted as saying, "Sometimes it's so frustrating, I just want to cry."

Also, watch enough anime and this is a regular occurrence. Anime Engrish is my FAVORITE, look at some YouTube videos.

Kinda drunk right now; playing Darkest Dungeon and waiting for the Eagle's first pre-season game to start. Not quite sure which will make me angrier.

Kinda drunk right now; playing Darkest Dungeon and waiting for the Eagle's first pre-season game to start. Not quite sure which will make me angrier.

How is Darkest Dungeon? I've been wanting to check that game out.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing it's against the Partriots.

• Upvote 1

Excellent, but also rage inducing. Definitely not a game for everybody. Make sure you watch some gameplay videos beforehand so you know what you're getting into.

I'm guessing it's against the Partriots.

Packers, so same difference. Pre-season games always make me cringe because too many players get injured for literally no reason.

Tbqh, I'm more interested in seeing what Ty Montgomery can do than I am with any Eagles.

Excellent, but also rage inducing. Definitely not a game for everybody.

Perfect. That means it's the game for me.

• Upvote 1