I'd like to go see the new Star Wars in theaters, but I have no idea when that will happen. I'm the sort who likes to wait a few weeks before seeing a movie though. The theaters aren't as crowded then.

I was planning on doing that but then my girlfriend decided she has to see it this Sunday.

So I guess I'm going.

Sent from my Nexus 6

You make it sound as if that's a bad thing.

Be thankful.

Thankful for what, exactly? I was going to see it eventually, either way.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I get what Erdrick is saying to be thankful for, but why draw attention to it? It's not like you said it was a bad thing you're going to see it sooner than planned since you were going to see it at some point anyway.

(Shrugs shoulders)

I'm just dreading the crowd.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YangustheLegendaryBandit

• eal

• Democrobot

• Plattym3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On my way home I spotted three big dogs. They'd gotten out of their yard and were going on a grand adventure. Didn't want them to get lost or hurt, so I corralled them at a park and loaded them into m

Oh @Plattym3, I made something for you. Warning DQXI Post-game spoilers  

I managed to get all prepped for the upcoming Pokemon tournament. Hoping it goes well this time around. Ex and I have been reconnecting. We both admit to making mistakes last time.

Posted Images

More Star Wars stuff.

So me not really liking VII has really stuck in my head the past couple of days. I picked up the art book today and it confirmed all my suspicions, fears, and dislikes of the movie. Looking at this book makes me want to cry. So many wonderful concepts and creations. What's more impressive is that the art team created all of them in only two years. Episode I had five years of art development. Whatever you think of the story and acting aside, the movie had and Doug Chiang's vehicles, McCaig's costumes, and creatures by Terryl Whitlatch. (Her absence in VII is really a shame. It needed her.) The later editions had Dermot Power and Ryan Church. All these artists coming back to work on the movie and Abrams used next to none of the designs. It's heartbreaking. Jakku DID have character. It was more than two ships and a couple of tents! All the planets looked distinct. There was progression! There was good vehicle design. (Here's all the design that went into Kylo Ren's shuttle - \ â–„ /  Oh, wait, here's how it lands. | â–„ | ) Great TIE Fighter evolutions that should've been in the movie! Wonderful action scenes like Rey reaching out of a broken X-Wing cockpit and slicing the underbelly of a Star Destroyer with her lightsaber.

While going through the book it was clear JJ Abrams decided to essentially do a reboot. This is when Glyn Dillon's art shows up. Practically every retread or blah design in the movie is his. While he's a good indie comic artist, I don't see how he landed a spot with this team. He's the weakest link and yet somehow kept getting designs approved and even promoted him to Rogue One. (Which looks dull and is supposed to be a gritty war movie which is, again, not what Star Wars is meant to be.) So all the people saying VII made them feel like a kid again, well, not me. Sorry. I wanted to love it. Dillon's designs made it feel like a knock-off or fan film. All the work that came before him - that's what should've been made, but it's clear Disney and Abrams pandered to old fans. Kinda a tangent, it's why I didn't like Chuck. Felt like I was heavily marketed/pandered/talked down to. Same with Mega Man 9. Sure it may looked and sounded like Mega Man 2, but it wasn't fun like Mega Man 2.

But some positives, though. I'm glad Finn was a good character and people are enjoying him. John Boyega seems like a good guy. It's the type of role I'd like to see more of. Since September, Finn figures have peg/shelf warmed, so I really hope this moves some of that merchandise. I also really liked Poe Dameron. He was my favorite character and really underused in the final battle. His friendship with Finn was really fun. I'd like to see the B plot in VIII be some of their adventures.

More Star Wars stuff.

So me not really liking VII has really stuck in my head the past couple of days. I picked up the art book today and it confirmed all my suspicions, fears, and dislikes of the movie. Looking at this book makes me want to cry. So many wonderful concepts and creations. What's more impressive is that the art team created all of them in only two years. Episode I had five years of art development. Whatever you think of the story and acting aside, the movie had and Doug Chiang's vehicles, McCaig's costumes, and creatures by Terryl Whitlatch. (Her absence in VII is really a shame. It needed her.) The later editions had Dermot Power and Ryan Church. All these artists coming back to work on the movie and Abrams used next to none of the designs. It's heartbreaking. Jakku DID have character. It was more than two ships and a couple of tents! All the planets looked distinct. There was progression! There was good vehicle design. (Here's all the design that went into Kylo Ren's shuttle - â–„ / Oh, wait, here's how it lands. | â–„ | ) Great TIE Fighter evolutions that should've been in the movie! Wonderful action scenes like Rey reaching out of a broken X-Wing cockpit and slicing the underbelly of a Star Destroyer with her lightsaber.

While going through the book it was clear JJ Abrams decided to essentially do a reboot. This is when Glyn Dillon's art shows up. Practically every retread or blah design in the movie is his. While he's a good indie comic artist, I don't see how he landed a spot with this team. He's the weakest link and yet somehow kept getting designs approved and even promoted him to Rogue One. (Which looks dull and is supposed to be a gritty war movie which is, again, not what Star Wars is meant to be.) So all the people saying VII made them feel like a kid again, well, not me. Sorry. I wanted to love it. Dillon's designs made it feel like a knock-off or fan film. All the work that came before him - that's what should've been made, but it's clear Disney and Abrams pandered to old fans. Kinda a tangent, it's why I didn't like Chuck. Felt like I was heavily marketed/pandered/talked down to. Same with Mega Man 9. Sure it may looked and sounded like Mega Man 2, but it wasn't fun like Mega Man 2.

But some positives, though. I'm glad Finn was a good character and people are enjoying him. John Boyega seems like a good guy. It's the type of role I'd like to see more of. Since September, Finn figures have peg/shelf warmed, so I really hope this moves some of that merchandise. I also really liked Poe Dameron. He was my favorite character and really underused in the final battle. His friendship with Finn was really fun. I'd like to see the B plot in VIII be some of their adventures.

Wait, you didn't like the TV show Chuck?

;) Dwaine doesn't like most things, it would seem :P I'll probably wait a little bit to see Force Unleashed myself, meaning I'm REALLY gonna have to be careful so as not to encounter spoilers. I'm not a big fan of sitting in cramped theaters so I'll just wait for the hype to die down a little bit before I see it. Failing that, there's always DVD rentals/purchases.

Edited by Slime Master

I don't like how you necrobump, reply to every thread, and contribute next to nothing to the discussion.

Not really, no. It had its moments, but a lot of it seemed like, "Hey, lookit this, ya nerds. We've got the video games! You kids like the video games, don'tcha? Heeyyy, lookit her. She pretty, ain't she? We got her all dressed up an' dancin' for ya!" That faded somewhat in the later seasons, but it still had Wayne's World level product placement. All the actors did a good job. You could tell instead of an overall story they were writing season to season because the plot kept going back and forth.

I really don't like The Big Bang Theory. My dad watches it, I think to better understand me but I'm all, "No, Dad. These are the type of people I actively avoid."

;) I don't like you at all Dwaine, I don't do anything you accuse me of, you act like a complete and total jerk wad about everything, your hipster like attitude annoys me to no end and quite frankly, if you can't take a thymbol full of ribbing then you shouldn't be a mod on this or any other forum. If your clearly antagonistic, hostile attitude persists I will report you.

However I DO share in your disgust for Big Bang Theory, I hate how that show displays every single negative stereotype involving folks who suffer from Aspergers Syndrome and / or full on Autism.

Edited by Slime Master

When Kaley Cuoco said she made nerd cool, I almost vomited in my mouth. The show stereotypes people in the worst way, and anytime you tell someone that, they say you should be able to take a joke. I can take a joke at a nerd's expense, but hitting on all the tired and obvious jokes isn't funny or clever or witty, it's simplistic. And I haven't found simple humor funny since I was 17.

I had a friend say she wished Sheldon was her roommate. What? Isn't half the humor in the show about how atrocious a roommate he is?

• Upvote 1

When Kaley Cuoco said she made nerd cool, I almost vomited in my mouth.

She did?

Excuse me while I go and vomit.

• Upvote 1

"Nerd" was made cool back around 2007. That show wouldn't have ever been created if it wasn't already cool.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I misquoted her, but depending on the person, you could probably consider her exact quote worse: http://m.etonline.com/tv/134599_Kaley_Cuoco_in_FHM_Magazine_June_2013/

Ironically, this was 6 months after the show got into a mini-controversy in the geek community over an episode where the girls all go to the comic book shop. The episode treated it like it was an alien concept and the TV ad had the tagline "WHERE NO GIRL HAS GONE BEFORE."

Edited by eal

If your clearly antagonistic, hostile attitude persists I will report you.

1950179-carol_danvers.jpg

Ironically, this was 6 months after the show got into a mini-controversy in the geek community over an episode where the girls all go to the comic book shop. The episode treated it like it was an alien concept and the TV ad had the tagline "WHERE NO GIRL HAS GONE BEFORE."

Which is hilarious, because my comic shop is owned by a woman, most of the staff are women, and they're just all around awesome people who don't make some big to-do that they're women in comics. One of my friends even said she doesn't like reading The Valkyries page because all of the posts are drama posts.

;) Oh Dwaine, REAL mature, using a panel from some stupid indie comic no one gives two cents about. First you make fun of Autistics (your insults towards Pen Ward do count since he does suffer from such) now your clearly wanting to troll me. I would have pegged you far more mature and above such childish antics like this, but then again you ARE a pretentious arrogant little hipster that lives in the middle of Texas so I suppose I should expect this kind of behavior from one such as you. I can only hope you and I can reach a truce of some form as I love the Dragon's Den, (Been here 13 years this coming January) and I really would hate for this to escalate further, my previous post was me flat out saying what I think of you and being done with it, but I see you want to continue with this display. 

Edited by Slime Master

Both of you are kind of being antagonistic. How about we just agree to let it go. And if there's somebody here that another member just can't get along with, then why don't those two agree to just avoid each other or at the least keep things to private messages.

Then again, don't allow me to step over your right to express yourselves. Have at it. Until Woodus says otherwise, of course.

please don't hurt me

I misquoted her, but depending on the person, you could probably consider her exact quote worse: http://m.etonline.com/tv/134599_Kaley_Cuoco_in_FHM_Magazine_June_2013/

I mean, I like the show okay, but I won't deny there are some pretty misandrist and misogynist things about the characters. And a lot of of it does come across a nerd blackface.

But I've always found it easy to zombie out in front of most sitcoms.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Edited by AustNerevar

Soooooooooooo....

Turns out that after tomorrow I don't have to work again until January 2nd. No idea why work is being so nice to me since I did tell them I was going on winter break for a few weeks, but hey, I'll take the free time to play some video games.

I don't like how you necrobump, reply to every thread, and contribute next to nothing to the discussion.

Not really, no. It had its moments, but a lot of it seemed like, "Hey, lookit this, ya nerds. We've got the video games! You kids like the video games, don'tcha? Heeyyy, lookit her. She pretty, ain't she? We got her all dressed up an' dancin' for ya!" That faded somewhat in the later seasons, but it still had Wayne's World level product placement. All the actors did a good job. You could tell instead of an overall story they were writing season to season because the plot kept going back and forth.

I liked it, but I'll give you all that.  Earlier seasons were better.  I'm not sure if you know this, but they were writing season to season because NBC kept trying to cancel them.  The only reason they didn't for so long is because of the product placement.  From what I recall, Subway almost single-handedly funded them for a couple seasons there.

;) ... also please ease up on the ribbing I'm in no mood for it, just a little heads up  :P )

;) ... if you can't take a thymbol full of ribbing then you shouldn't be a mod on this or any other forum....

Wait.  What?  Don't rib Slime Master but allow Slime Master to rib others.  Uhhh...

I mean, I like the show okay, but I won't deny there are some pretty misandrist and misogynist things about the characters. And a lot of of it does come across a nerd blackface.

But I've always found it easy to zombie out in front of most sitcoms.

I like it too.  But then again, I put zero thought into my TV watching, so yeah all that stuff just comes across as humor and I read zero into it.

Soooooooooooo....

Turns out that after tomorrow I don't have to work again until January 2nd. No idea why work is being so nice to me since I did tell them I was going on winter break for a few weeks, but hey, I'll take the free time to play some video games.

Legend of Legacy?

• Upvote 1

And now to double post a happier, on-topic comment.

I've spent about 8 hours today building my wife and my Christmas gifts. We saw matching dressers that we liked at Ikea a couple months ago. My old dresser my dad picked up at a pawn shop when I got divorced years back. My wife's had been left at the townhome she bought 7 years ago. Needless to say, a new home made us think of new things. So, unbeknownst to her, I went and got these 2 yesterday and spent all day building them. She's coming back to town tomorrow from 72 hours away, so it'll hopefully be a very happy surprise. Her old dresser is going in the garage I'm about to spend all night cleaning our and organizing and it'll become my temporary work bench. My dresser is going to get sanded down and painted for my son's superhero bedroom. Just have to decide on Marvel or DC and then what to paint the dresser.

Here's my day long project's fruits.

99724921e6f4545e690b7c61c2f5d20c.jpg

2f343050f1cee922f0d9c9249c97e4ee.jpg

For Christmas this yeear, I got my girlfriend an exercise bike (she asked for it, I'm not trying to send her any hints or anything), a Game of Thrones 4D Cityscape puzzle (she loves puzzles and loves GoT, and...an engagement ring. I'm thinking of wrapping it with one of the presents then proposing when she unwraps and sees it.

Edit: Oh, nice work Platty, by the way.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 4

Edited by AustNerevar
  • Upvote 1

@Platty: I'm really hoping that will be one of them, but Chrono Cross is first since I started that game before Legacy, but I REALLY want to get back to Legacy. I've missed exploring Avalon.

Also, nice work on your new dressers. I bet your wife will love them. :)

;) Platty: Fair enough on your part pointing that out, normally I can take some good natured ribbing, I was just feeling crappy this morning, still no excuse for contradicting myself. (By the way I think YOU should have been made a Mod and not Dwaine, just a personal opinion :wink: )

That escalated slowly.

^Quoted for truth, my rantings there were a long time coming. but anywho,

Aust: Agreed, I'm more than willing to be done that annoying little tangent, as I said earlier, I stated my thoughts and am MORE than ready to move on to a different tangent.

I'm with Yangus, those are indeed some nice looking dressers as for which Super Hero brand to paint, might have to get a six sided die and roll it to help decide, Odds: DC, Even: Marvel.

Not sure how to feel about this "date"...

She basically interrogated me. Wanting to know where I lived, who I lived with, how much I made, why I wasn't making more, where I worked, why I worked there, where I went to school, why I went there (and why I went so late), past relationships, why they didn't go so well, etc.

... that's a NOPE. Got pretty uncomfortable.

She basically interrogated me. Wanting to know where I lived, who I lived with, how much I made, why I wasn't making more, where I worked, why I worked there, where I went to school, why I went there (and why I went so late), past relationships, why they didn't go so well, etc.

GET OUT OF THERE!

How did you meet this one?

Yikes, sounds like the date from Hell. Sorry 'bout that, guv.

Yeah, that's pretty odd. Seems like the opening of a romantic comedy where you swear off dating after that and then meet the quirky girl shortly thereafter. Here's hoping for you!

For Christmas this yeear, I got my girlfriend an exercise bike (she asked for it, I'm not trying to send her any hints or anything), a Game of Thrones 4D Cityscape puzzle (she loves puzzles and loves GoT, and...an engagement ring. I'm thinking of wrapping it with one of the presents then proposing when she unwraps and sees it.

Edit: Oh, nice work Platty, by the way.

Dude! Awesome! Let us know when she says yes!

GET OUT OF THERE!

How did you meet this one?

A dating site. I know, I know. But my job has weird hours which makes doing it the conventional way not as easy as I'd like.

Seems like the opening of a romantic comedy where you swear off dating after that

Honestly it was a bit of a blow. I think I am gonna take a break from this for a while... I don't want it to put a damper on my holidays, something which work has already done.

Edited by Fates
  • Woodus changed the title to What's New With You?