Yeah, so Midtown Comics was a bust. I went down to Fulton st. and there was a line looping several blocks. Some of the people in front look like they had camped out the night before. I've been to SDCC and NYCC, in the past, and I can definitely say that nothing is ever worth waiting that long for.

This. I start college in the fall and don't know what I want to do for sure. Besides playing Dragon Quest and meeting women, that is. Not necessarily at the same time or in that order. (Although at the same time would be awesome!)

Yeah, "I like Dragon Quest" is not what I would suggest as an opening line.   :tounge2:  Good luck in school.  Where are you headed?

It has to be a better opening line than "I was once a part of the letter 'h'."

I hope I got the right video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giVwSzEDy7E

Since college is being discussed, I start in one year. I've managed to get my college tuition taken care of (my dad is going to pay for it, which was really the only way I could ever go). I'll be living on campus, so hopefully I get a roommate I can tolerate (I've been known to get very aggressive in the past. I nearly tore my friend's wrist out once). Say what you will about living on campus, but I get to be right at the school (I don't drive yet and I don't live in town, so I kinda have to live on campus), plus I get food. And the best part is that I can transfer to the larger campus an hour away since the two schools are connected. I'm looking forward to this next year.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YangustheLegendaryBandit

• eal

• Democrobot

• Plattym3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On my way home I spotted three big dogs. They'd gotten out of their yard and were going on a grand adventure. Didn't want them to get lost or hurt, so I corralled them at a park and loaded them into m

Technically I graduated in January from my college in London. But the diploma took forever to arrive. So I did a whole phitoshoot today of the mail arriving/my graduation. Did the program online so I

I had a bit of a crazy start to my week but yesterday my wife and I were able to find out the gender of our baby. It's a girl! We had a party with my family and you can be damn sure my she-slime plush

Posted Images

I've got you beat though, 21 years ago this month for me :)

Good to know I'm not the oldest thing here, Woodus. I'd started to wonder a bit. (Now, where did I put my dentures and my prune juice...) ;)

Yeah, "I like Dragon Quest" is not what I would suggest as an opening line.   :tounge2:

I wouldn't necessarily say that. It'll just help you locate the right person with more accuracy.  :)

Say what you will about living on campus, but I get to be right at the school (I don't drive yet and I don't live in town, so I kinda have to live on campus), plus I get food. 

Living on campus was ultimately one of the better choices I made my freshman year. I met friends I'm still connected with, and yeah, I didn't have to worry about transportation, cooking, bills, or any of the other details that  go into having your own place or an apartment full of roommates. Did that after my first year, with some friends I'd met in the dorms, but I'm glad I had that first year to just focus on adjusting to college.

Also, here's hoping for the best on your roommate assignment! 

Living on campus was ultimately one of the better choices I made my freshman year. I met friends I'm still connected with, and yeah, I didn't have to worry about transportation, cooking, bills, or any of the other details that  go into having your own place or an apartment full of roommates. Did that after my first year, with some friends I'd met in the dorms, but I'm glad I had that first year to just focus on adjusting to college.

Pretty much why I wish I could have lived on campus. We don't have dorms, so that isn't an option, but I'd rather spend a little more on rent and be able to hang out or study with friends, as well as leaving family drama behind and focusing on College, this to me is a must. I started Freshman year with Summer session, and while I did make some new friends, we can't really hang out because I live so far away. Friends are important to me, and from personal experience I've seen really close friends become distant because we could never hang out or keep in touch. Distance eventually does that. 

And of course, the driving is also annoying. Sometimes its taken me 2 hours to get back home because of heavy traffic. And that's not the worst of it, driving up the 15 North almost every day worries me in how much strain I am putting on my car.

So yeah, here's hoping I get the job at my school. Studying and working on the same campus just seems so convenient, and if I do get a place nearby, that would be bomb  :) . 

Edited by Flute_Warrior

Pretty much why I wish I could have lived on campus. We don't have dorms, so that isn't an option, but I'd rather spend a little more on rent and be able to hang out or study with friends, as well as leaving family drama behind and focusing on College, this to me is a must. I started Freshman year with Summer session, and while I did make some new friends, we can't really hang out because I live so far away. Friends are important to me, and from personal experience I've seen really close friends become distant because we could never hang out or keep in touch. Distance eventually does that. 

And of course, the driving is also annoying. Sometimes its taken me 2 hours to get back home because of heavy traffic. And that's not the worst of it, driving up the 15 North almost every day worries me in how much strain I am putting on my car.

So yeah, here's hoping I get the job at my school. Studying and working on the same campus just seems so convenient, and if I do get a place nearby, that would be bomb  :)

Long commutes are rough, especially if you're driving. I had a beastly commute through bad rush hour traffic in grad school, and it drained me like nothing else, so I get what you're saying there. And yeah, wear and tear on a car is certainly a worthy consideration.

It's a bummer you can't live in the dorms, but having your own place can be a great option, too, even if just from a standpoint of personal growth. It gives you a chance to be you, whatever that entails, without the scrutiny of family, and it can be a pretty cool symbolic break with your past if you happen to want or need something like that. Plus, being closer to class and friends and having a place where folks can hang out together is great for all the reasons you mentioned. Best of luck as you go on the apartment hunt!

I hope you get the on-campus job you want. All my best jobs as a student were on campus, and I've noticed, talking to others, that this seems to have been the case for a lot of people. Sometimes the jobs can lead to some pretty cool opportunities, skills, and connections that might benefit you later on down the road. I know folks who did office and IT work as undergrad work-studies, for instance, and now they do those things full time on other campuses (or run those offices), making more than they would have made with their degrees. So you never know!

In any case, all that to say--good luck with it all. :)

Yeah, so Midtown Comics was a bust. I went down to Fulton st. and there was a line looping several blocks. Some of the people in front look like they had camped out the night before. I've been to SDCC and NYCC, in the past, and I can definitely say that nothing is ever worth waiting that long for.

The big comic conventions aren't worth anyone's time going too. You need to be dedicated and camp out hours before the doors open if you want a spot at one of the big panels. The dealers overcharge and there's no space at all. I mean, yeah, you can almost see Robert Downey Jr. at a panel if you squint your eyes hard enough, but that's not worth the wait and travel. It's better to just see the updates from the panels from the comfort of your laptop.

• Upvote 1

My attempt at a love interest has ended already. But I won't give up. There are plenty of Nemos in the sea!

• Upvote 1
The big comic conventions aren't worth anyone's time going too. You need to be dedicated and camp out hours before the doors open if you want a spot at one of the big panels. The dealers overcharge and there's no space at all. I mean, yeah, you can almost see Robert Downey Jr. at a panel if you squint your eyes hard enough, but that's not worth the wait and travel. It's better to just see the updates from the panels from the comfort of your laptop.

Yeah, seriously.

Back to the college topic, freshman year they tend to throw you in with random folks (unless the college is very forward thinking and does personality tests for the best possible match up.)  But for the most part, you'll be thrown in with at least one stranger that you may not get along with.  There is a chance you're not going to be BFFs with your freshman year roommate(s) but this is just a temporary living situation.  My advice, as I was in this situation, is to focus on finding your friends and figure out who you are going to live with the following year.  Good luck!

Pfftt. Like we even get a choice of who our roommate is. I suppose I could opt for the single occupancy, but I do enjoy company. The catch is that I have to like the company to enjoy it. On the plus side, with about 20, 000 people who attend, most of them are from town, so I'll most likely know them (liking them is another story).

When it comes to roommates, always remain on neutral ground. There's always the chance you could become the best of friends. On the other hand, you could also end up hating each other's guts.

Just so long as you can both agree to fair living guidelines (i.e. keeping things clean, no visitors after a certain point) you should be fine.

The last thing you want to do is get to know someone and find out they're terrible people and end up stuck with them. And evening you can change roommates, there's always some bloodshed before that happens.

Thanks a bunch! I"ll get a reply for the job by next week. If I get the position, then it's all uphill from there. Yep, I'll even be able to invite this one cute girl out to eat guilt free  :wd_coolslime:

• Upvote 1

When it comes to roommates, always remain on neutral ground. There's always the chance you could become the best of friends. On the other hand, you could also end up hating each other's guts.

Just so long as you can both agree to fair living guidelines (i.e. keeping things clean, no visitors after a certain point) you should be fine.

The last thing you want to do is get to know someone and find out they're terrible people and end up stuck with them. And evening you can change roommates, there's always some bloodshed before that happens.

I guess only time will tell what happens. At least I have a year until I start.

Thanks a bunch! I"ll get a reply for the job by next week. If I get the position, then it's all uphill from there. Yep, I'll even be able to invite this one cute girl out to eat guilt free  :wd_coolslime:

Aww. That's sweet. Our little Flute is growing up.  :overjoyed2:

I actually have a weekend off. I can finally experience what other normal people do every week. It's so magical right now *pours a glass of sake*.

I am definitely going to the Dragon Ball Z movie tomorrow with my best friends and going treasure hunting, aka rare game hunting. 

After the movie we plan on jamming together while the girls are out shopping and getting pedicures or whatever they do at the mall. Then most likely playing Mario Party, ruining friendships, having some drinks, cooking up some great food, and having a blast.

Oh Demo you said your going to college? Where are you heading to?

I missed the topic, but I do agree with the whole living on campus situation. You get the full college experience if you do so, which may be different for some. I think we got drunk every day the first week before classes started, and partied hard every weekend after that. It probably didn't help that I roomed with 2 Criminal Justice students, those guys are notorious for the biggest and baddest parties. Even got into a fight with a few when they tried crashing my birthday party at the dorm I was residing in.

Gooooood times.

I'll probably start at the Augustana campus before transferring to the bigger campus in Edmonton.

I actually have a weekend off. I can finally experience what other normal people do every week. It's so magical right now *pours a glass of sake*.

I am definitely going to the Dragon Ball Z movie tomorrow with my best friends and going treasure hunting, aka rare game hunting. 

After the movie we plan on jamming together while the girls are out shopping and getting pedicures or whatever they do at the mall. Then most likely playing Mario Party, ruining friendships, having some drinks, cooking up some great food, and having a blast.

I missed the topic, but I do agree with the whole living on campus situation. You get the full college experience if you do so, which may be different for some. I think we got drunk every day the first week before classes started, and partied hard every weekend after that. It probably didn't help that I roomed with 2 Criminal Justice students, those guys are notorious for the biggest and baddest parties. Even got into a fight with a few when they tried crashing my birthday party at the dorm I was residing in.

Gooooood times.

Oooooo, have fun playing Mario Party. Which one do you plan on playing?  I've actually been replaying 3 lately (trying to beat Story Mode with Mario), and just played 4 last week with my friends for an early bday party/get together.  Appropriately, we played on Goomba's Greedy Gala since it was my 21st birthday. :P

Gooooood times.

Oooooo, have fun playing Mario Party. Which one do you plan on playing?  I've actually been replaying 3 lately (trying to beat Story Mode with Mario), and just played 4 last week with my friends for an early bday party/get together.  Appropriately, we played on Goomba's Greedy Gala since it was my 21st birthday. :P

I own both 2 and 3, so I'll bring both of those! Also considering bringing Mario Kart and Golden Eye :)

Ha! That is awesome! Good choice Yangus ;)

Gooooood times.

I own both 2 and 3, so I'll bring both of those! Also considering bringing Mario Kart and Golden Eye :)

Ha! That is awesome! Good choice Yangus ;)

I own 1-8. My favorites are probably 3, 2, 4, and 5. And you can't go wrong with Mario Kart and Golden Eye.

Last night I unlocked the Golden Tires on Mario Kart 8 (all 32 tracks completed with Shy Guy in the Mach 8, Cyberslick tires, and Waddlewing Glider). Now back to 3 starring all the 150 CC cups before I move on to Mirror Mode.

Hmm, I actually prefer Perfect Dark to Golden Eye.  The added bonus of having bots to battle against, and forcing teamplay makes for a more furious and intense gaming experience in multiplay.  Especially when I've yet to see any current FPS match "Dark" AI bots in PD for overall viciousness, cleverness, perfect aim, and unbelievable coordination tactics (older FPS's had better AI for some reason...NOLF's enemy AI is brilliant, NOLF 2's is...meh, all the old Rainbow Six's had great AI, the new ones are overly complex and fudge up too often).

Another good party game is Cruisin' USA.  Sure it seems like a ridiculous choice for a racing party experience, but it's wacky and fun...still Mario Kart is better, but a good competitor is Diddy Kong Racing since you have the boat and flying race options, with similar gameplay elements to MK.

If you have Killer Instinct 64, that's another good party game.  Even if only to outdo one another in combo counts...it can get competitive.

Who can forget Smash Bros., any ol' one will do.

Went to a store that sells Japanese imports and old video games and bought a book inappropriate phrases translated from English to Japanese (each with its own, very descriptive picture!). Best $10 I ever spent.

I have 3 1/2 weeks to get ready for auditions for The Three Muskateers. Hopefully I can get a part in this production (but I may be too short. Who knows?)

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy this afternoon. It was certainly a great film. A couple slow parts, but all-in-all a great movie. I'd recommend seeing it if you haven't seen it yet.

Mario Party 4 is definitely my favorite of the series, though 3 gets a special mention for the dual mode.

Anyway, I'll be on day 5 of 6 work days in a row tomorrow.  I'm happy for the extra hours so I can earn some more money, but boy do my feet ache.  Other than that, I've been working on trying to finish the post game of Etrian Odyssey IV.  I'll tell ya what, the 6th labyrinth is really creepy in terms of design and music.  I had heard it was rather dark (and had come to expect it after the three games prior) but boy is this place right the heck out of nowhere....and I love it.

I've also been watching reruns of ALF on TV (thank you DVR!).  I've been enjoying watching the show.  It's a good show with some good clean humor.

I've also been watching reruns of ALF on TV (thank you DVR!).  I've been enjoying watching the show.  It's a good show with some good clean humor.

I own all of the seasons of ALF. Excellent show. I heard they were planning to make a movie about ALF in the future sometime.

They already did. Don't waste your time.

ETA: Ben Stiller starred in a movie based on ALF's creator. Also, look up ALF outtakes on YouTube if you want to see him swearing and using numerous racial slurs.

Edited by Dwaine

ETA: Ben Stiller starred in a movie based on ALF's creator. Also, look up ALF outtakes on YouTube if you want to see him swearing and using numerous racial slurs.

I've heard about that movie. I heard it was awful (worse than Daredevil even).

As for the ALF outtakes, I haven't nothing to say to that.

Currently going through a neighborhoodwide power outage thanks to a thunder/lightning/wind/hale storm that just happened out of the blue after a sunny day. Thank god for my cell phone or I wouldn't have internet!

I've heard about that movie. I heard it was awful (worse than Daredevil even).

It isn't great but at the very least it resolved everything that was left over from the show.

Also, Daredevil gets a bad rap. Everyone uses it as the measure of a bad movie, particularly a bad superhero movie. People even judge Ben Affleck's ability to portray Batman based on Daredevil, even though the only glaring problem with his performance was that dreadful costume. But almost never do I hear, "It's almost as bad as Catwoman," which to most people was the worst superhero movie ever. I mean, at least Daredevil had some redeeming qualities. Catwoman barely qualifies as a movie.

• Woodus changed the title to What's New With You?