acwhammy

Too much story?

I started playing DQ VII recently and I'm at the point where I just saved the second island. I feel like %80 of the time I'm running back and forth and triggering story sequences, rather than looting dungeons and fighting baddies. I have two questions for you DQ experts:

1) Is the whole game this story-laden or does it lessen up as I play through the game?

2) How story-heavy is DQ XI in comparison to DQ VII?

Thanks,

AC

I started playing DQ VII recently and I'm at the point where I just saved the second island. I feel like %80 of the time I'm running back and forth and triggering story sequences, rather than looting dungeons and fighting baddies. I have two questions for you DQ experts:
1) Is the whole game this story-laden or does it lessen up as I play through the game?
2) How story-heavy is DQ XI in comparison to DQ VII?
Thanks,
AC
1) yes
2) no where near as heavy. DQ7 is kind of known for its epic story and its plentiful quest flags.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the response! I'm muscling through this. I'm 18 hours in and still haven't gotten to Alltrades Abbey! It's good to know that DQ XI isn't as story intensive.

• Like 1

the story is why i didnt like dq 7 and since imo the game is like 75% text and 45% gameplay

42 minutes ago, solo said:

the story is why i didnt like dq 7 and since imo the game is like 75% text and 45% gameplay

Don’t you hate when games add up to 120%? 

Its a great game and a great story but it can be a slog to get through sometimes.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

spyro_complete.png.81fd43fda636b9365ec4b9131789fe12.png

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

If anything, DQ7 was about 5 islands too short. Loved the hell out of that game. 300+ hours over all the versions and I'd have kept going too. I definitely 120%'d it.

Posted (edited)

Too little story

In all seriousness, I loved the heck out of this game and I really wish we'd gotten more story...*sigh*

Edited by Marrowfrost

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

If anything, DQ7 was about 5 islands too short. Loved the hell out of that game. 300+ hours over all the versions and I'd have kept going too. I definitely 120%'d it.

I’d definitely say I’ve done that. Completing the entire Monster Meadows + the DLC monsters is a good chunk of the process.

I think with my original PS1 playthrough and all the time I’ve spent on the 3DS version, I’m probably at 350 hours give or take. Only DQ game that surpasses my 1st playthroughs of both versions of 7 was Dragon Quest XI, which clocked on at 202 hours by the time I defeated the post game final boss. It’s an experience that felt on par with DQ7 in many ways, so I didn’t want to put it down and wanted to see everything I could.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

On 3/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, solo said:

Yes! That's what I've noticed. It's hard to enjoy the gameplay when you're constantly moving from story to story. I mean, I want to get into building my monster classes, farming for best gear, etc.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:19 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hahah xD

How far into the main story is Buccanham? I'm about 60 hours in and I'm wondering how much further I need to go before I can *play* the game LOL