Sign in to follow this  
AustNerevar

Dragon Quest Commercials

The other day on the DataHoarder subreddit, somebody posted an archive of around 90 GB of video game commercials dating backing to the 80s through to modern consoles. I looked through them and pulled out only the DQ ads as I thought someone here might want them. They aren't all very good quality, many of them having been captured from VHS and then compressed digitally, but for many of them I imagine they're the only copies in existence. There are Japanese as well as international commercials. Many of them, like some of the EU DQIX commercials I had never seen before.

Here's an upload if somebody wants them, or if @Woodus wants them for the site. They're organized by game system in different directories. Around 180 video files at about 1.5 GB total zipped.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ucc8u3wx1wizd3p/DQ_Commercials.7z/file

Edited by AustNerevar
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you, I have pulled all these down and will convert them all to MP4 and get them added to each section. Great find!

Very nice Aust.  I love finding this stuff and looking back at the level of corn and fluff padded into the message of "buy me please."  That's a treasure.  Great someone was collecting them.  There were some really funky 80's VG commercials, lol, I should check out the main thread and see what's there.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 7:50 PM, AustNerevar said:

The other day on the DataHoarder subreddit, somebody posted an archive of around 90 GB of video game commercials dating backing to the 80s through to modern consoles.

Do you have the original thread still, I might take a look at all the commercials, just to see which ones I remember. :)

Yep, here is it. It's a torrent file.

I played a bunch of them the other night, so I could relive my childhood.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Yep, here is it. It's a torrent file.

I played a bunch of them the other night, so I could relive my childhood.

Should there have been a link? :)

Should there have been a link?
My bad. I copied it to my clipboard but forgot to paste it.

I actually have a Beta SP of a Dragon Quest VIII commercial that ran on MTV in 2005. I worked there at the time and when the commercial came in I know we typically junked tapes after they were digitized, so I asked the video team to return the tape to me when it was complete. I don't have a Beta SP player or a means to record the footage, though. At this point the tape is just some random DQ swag in my collection.

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 2:42 PM, Liamland said:

I actually have a Beta SP of a Dragon Quest VIII commercial that ran on MTV in 2005. I worked there at the time and when the commercial came in I know we typically junked tapes after they were digitized, so I asked the video team to return the tape to me when it was complete. I don't have a Beta SP player or a means to record the footage, though. At this point the tape is just some random DQ swag in my collection.

Thats actually pretty cool.  Do you remember which commercial it was?  Because if you have the original tape, then it must be pretty high quality.

I don't remember. It was 14 years since I ran the ads on MTV.com. It's probably more than one commercial, because they'd typically have :15 and :30 versions, but I can't verify it without watching or digitizing the tape.

You can find the stuff on eBay to transfer it. I wish I had the equipment or I'd offer to do it for you.

I'm still friends with the digital video guy who did the work on it originally. I'll start there. I wouldn't want to buy a BetaSP player just to rip one tape.

I'm still friends with the digital video guy who did the work on it originally. I'll start there. I wouldn't want to buy a BetaSP player just to rip one tape.
You should definitely pursue it. There also should be some digitization services near you. They may charge a bit but as you said, for one tape its more economical than doing it yourself.

Yeah there should be a service that does it.  There's a camera shop nearby my place that converts pretty much every type of video tape to DVD.  I had them do a bunch of family films.  See if you can find something like that around you.