Dakhil

'Square Enix "undecided" on whether vanilla Dragon Quest XI will receive Definitive Edition content'

I hope the village is in as well, mainly so the little spirit guys get some more background. I played the 3DS version and got to the village, but since I can’t read Japanese I had no idea why it was important/why you went there. I was disappointed you had to wait so long on the PS4 version just to learn some info about the spirits.

I don’t know of the Yocchi Village does talk about what exactly the spirits are early on in the 3DS version, granted, but I’d bet some of the dialogue at that point did.

If we don’t see the village in the Switch version, I’m at least hoping we’ll get an explanation for the spirit guys sooner rather than way later in the game.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'll buy the switch version and play it again in the SNES style graphics. I don't mind. Dragon Quest is about the only money I spend on video games anymore.

• Like 1

I can see the DQXIS content coming to the PS4/PC version as paid DLC at some point after the Switch version launches, like maybe 6 months to year afterwards. The thing about the Switch version is that all that content will be available as a physical release. If the content does come to PS4, I can't see SE releasing another physical copy with all the content for PS4. So for people who care about physical copies of games, the Switch version will always remain the definitive version (at least until the game is ported over to future consoles).

5 hours ago, CWCprime said:

I can see the DQXIS content coming to the PS4/PC version as paid DLC at some point after the Switch version launches, like maybe 6 months to year afterwards. The thing about the Switch version is that all that content will be available as a physical release. If the content does come to PS4, I can't see SE releasing another physical copy with all the content for PS4. So for people who care about physical copies of games, the Switch version will always remain the definitive version (at least until the game is ported over to future consoles).

I can assure you that as a vast collector of physical goods of Dragon Quest games, this won't really make a difference. I buy every version of the game that is released.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bururian said:

I buy every version of the game that is released.

I’ve done that with DQ Builders. First was PS4 where I got that one as a Christmas gift and was the first PS4 game I got. I bought the Switch version and I don’t even have a Switch yet! And I bought the Vita version too since I enjoy playing building type games on a handheld.

I’m cuckoo for Builders I guess! I’ll probably do the same with the PS4/Switch versions of Builders 2.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve done that with DQ Builders. First was PS4 where I got that one as a Christmas gift and was the first PS4 game I got. I bought the Switch version and I don’t even have a Switch yet! And I bought the Vita version too since I enjoy playing building type games on a handheld.

I’m cuckoo for Builders I guess! I’ll probably do the same with the PS4/Switch versions of Builders 2.

I’m actually struggling really hard with Builders because I can get it immediately for PS4, but that’s the format I want it in. I’d prefer a handheld option. So as a Vita fanatic I could get that version, but I don’t like digital only. And the Asian English copies are gone from Play-Asia. So I could get the Switch version but I don’t have a Switch. Truly the realist struggle.

12 minutes ago, eal said:

I’m actually struggling really hard with Builders because I can get it immediately for PS4, but that’s the format I want it in. I’d prefer a handheld option. So as a Vita fanatic I could get that version, but I don’t like digital only. And the Asian English copies are gone from Play-Asia. So I could get the Switch version but I don’t have a Switch. Truly the realist struggle.

I’ll be surprised if you do end up buying Builders period.

Seriously man, it’s been 2 years since it came out. Pick one.

3 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ll be surprised if you do end up buying Builders period.

Seriously man, it’s been 2 years since it came out. Pick one.

Someday probably. I’ll add it to the never ending list. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eal said:

Someday probably. I’ll add it to the never ending list. 

ahh, the never ending list. in late 2017 early 2018 I basically burned that list and moved forward with newer stuff coming out instead of trying to play catch-up. Except for Dragon Quest, of course. It made me feel so much better.

33 minutes ago, Bururian said:

ahh, the never ending list. in late 2017 early 2018 I basically burned that list and moved forward with newer stuff coming out instead of trying to play catch-up. Except for Dragon Quest, of course. It made me feel so much better.

I just go where the wind takes me. For whatever reason I had a drive to play Pokémon games for the last month or so so that’s what I did. Now, I want to play a visual novel so I’ve been playing a visual novel.

For what it's worth, the directory structure of DQ11 for PC *DOES* have a DLC directory (named "Dlc" inside the Dragon Quest XI folder). The only things in it are preorder bonus items, but those do show up in the game. So, the idea that Square Enix might release the DQ11S additional content at least for PC if not PS4 as well somewhere down the line AFTER the Switch version has had its chance to sell has merit. The 'undecided' comment could be a way to not undercut Switch sales of the game. I don't expect any DLC announcements for the PC/PS4 versions until at least several months after the Switch version is released worldwide.

People crying "greed" are funny. How new are they to JRPG's?

Did they somehow missed:

• Persona 3 -> Persona 3 FES -> Persona 3 Portable
  • Persona 4 -> Persona 4 Golden
  • Trails of Cold Steel -> Trails of Cold Steel Kai
  • Final Fantasy XV WINDOWS EDITION?

JRPG industry runs on reusing assets and re-releasing on another platforms.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think there's still hope that most (if not all) of the exclusive features of Dragon Quest XI S might come to the PlayStation 4 and/or PC versions of Dragon Quest XI, considering Octopath Traveler is getting a PC port in South Korea (although Bandai Namco, not Square Enix, is publishing the game in South Korea).

Don't read the comments after clicking the link if you want to keep your sanity.

Edited by Dakhil

On 2/24/2019 at 7:16 AM, Shogil said:

People crying "greed" are funny. How new are they to JRPG's?

Did they somehow missed:

• Persona 3 -> Persona 3 FES -> Persona 3 Portable
  • Persona 4 -> Persona 4 Golden
  • Trails of Cold Steel -> Trails of Cold Steel Kai
  • Final Fantasy XV WINDOWS EDITION?

JRPG industry runs on reusing assets and re-releasing on another platforms.

this message is so legitimate and brutally true I just feel the urge to quote it and point it out

• Like 2

So Square Enix accidently revealed Octopath Traveler is coming to PC via Steam and the Square Enix Store on 7 June 2019. So, there's still hope Square Enix might bring some (if not all of) the exclusive features of Dragon Quest XI S to at least the PC version of Dragon Quest XI as payable DLC around one year after the release of Dragon Quest XI S.

Whilst I believe that if Square Enix's going to bring some (if not all of) the exclusive features of Dragon Quest XI S to the PC version as payable DLC that Square Enix should do the same for the PlayStation 4 version, it's possible Square Enix's going to bring some (if not all of) the exclusive features of Dragon Quest XI S to only the PC version since PCs are not considered consoles.

Yeah, I honestly don't care if it makes it to the PS4 version. I don't even have that version (yet). It would be an absolute crying shame if the extra content and new features don't make it into the PC version - The PC version of any game should be the de facto definitive version as it isn't restricted by platform-specific hardware.