Dakhil

"Dragon Quest V getting a 3D CG movie called Dragon Quest: Your Story"

https://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-v-getting-a-3d-cg-movie-called-dragon-quest-your-story/

I think it's very unlikely that this film will leave Japan.  But it would be nice if this film have a limited release in the West.

dragon-quest-your-story-656x464.jpg

During the News Zero program on Nippon Television Network, it was announced that a 3D CG movie based on Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride is in development. "Dragon Quest: Your Story" will be directed by Takashi Yamazaki, who previously worked on Always: Sunset on Third Street, Parasyte, and more.

Here's the rundown of staff involved:

Original Work and Supervision: Yuji Horii
Music: Kouichi Sugiyama
Overall Direction and Script: Takashi Yamazaki (Always: Sunset on Third Street, Parasyte, etc.)
Direction: Ryuichi Yagi, Makoto Hanafusa

Beyond this, not much is known. Japanese fans can look forward to the film's debut on August 2.

Source, Via

Edited by Dakhil

I remember reading somewhere that they aren't going with the Toriyama art style specifically to appeal to the Western market more, that would suggest that they absolutely have plans for a Western release.

Wish I could remember where I read that.

52 minutes ago, Enclave said:

I remember reading somewhere that they aren't going with the Toriyama art style specifically to appeal to the Western market more, that would suggest that they absolutely have plans for a Western release.

We get every anime movie in the States. In the last two or three years, Fathom Events screenings of anime movies has become incredibly common. Like, the Code Geass movie premieres next week. Of all mediums for Dragon Quest to be presented in, anime is the one guarantee in the West.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:24 PM, Enclave said:

I've read that too, but as far as I recall they didn't really cite any sources.

That said, there are really only two possible explanations for ditching the Toriyama style:

• SE know very well that they can't keep relying on Toriyama forever in the future, or they consider him too big of an expense, and are trying to accustom people to the fact that Dragon Quest doesn't need his signature style. I expect to see games some time in the future (but probably not mainline series right away) going the same road.
  • They want it to do really well in the West. While this is a probable explanation, it's interesting, because the only way to justify it would be via a super aggressive PR move that tries to push the movie on to people who wouldn't normally be watching anime or video game movies. You know that both DQ fans and a majority of anime fans would absolutely watch the movie regardless.

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

I've read that too, but as far as I recall they didn't really cite any sources.

That said, there are really only two possible explanations for ditching the Toriyama style:

• SE know very well that they can't keep relying on Toriyama forever in the future, or they consider him too big of an expense, and are trying to accustom people to the fact that Dragon Quest doesn't need his signature style. I expect to see games some time in the future (but probably not mainline series right away) going the same road.
  • They want it to do really well in the West. While this is a probable explanation, it's interesting, because the only way to justify it would be via a super aggressive PR move that tries to push the movie on to people who wouldn't normally be watching anime or video game movies. You know that both DQ fans and a majority of anime fans would absolutely watch the movie regardless.

I really like Toriyama's art style. I can understand why SE would opt for a different art style for the movies but I'd like to see his signature style or at least something similar to continue to be in the games, especially the mainline series. It may slightly change over time due to other people potentially taking the leads for the art used in the games but I'd like the change to be somewhat gradual as the Toriyama style is one of the reasons why I like Dragon Quest so much.

That being said, I do agree and think it's a good idea to rely on Toriyama less and doing the movie in a different style is probably a good move for SE and Dragon Quest worldwide.