Princess Gwaelin Sprite Oddity

I had a long plane ride yesterday, so I spent most of it playing the iOS DQ1. When I went to save Gwaelin, I remembered something about the NES version that I never understood. For whatever reason, the sprite for Gwaelin immediately following the fight with the Green Dragon is different than after she's taken back.

image.png.1c1fac8326c2674e3eebba4d723b4521.pngimage.png.f9a7fe45850c8539a6bc4f5dffaeedb3.png

My best guess is that while the game was in a dark dungeon, no moving sprites except for the Hero could be involved, so they wanted to make a symmetrical image of her being still, but that doesn't really explain why her appearance changes so drastically.

Another thought is that maybe they were trying to show that she was starving or something. She does look sorta like a zombie in that first image. But that doesn't explain why her crown shape and hair color would change.

I don't know, this has always sort of bothered me for some reason XD Remakes of the game only use one sprite, so it's pretty strange. Anyone have thoughts on this?

That’s weird. It’s probably a different sprite due to technical limitation reasons.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

In Dragon Quest all the sprites faced the same direction and were very simple. All the sprites were redone for Dragon Warrior, making it more in line with II-IV. What you're seeing is the original Princess Laura sprite.

11 hours ago, Dwaine said:

In Dragon Quest all the sprites faced the same direction and were very simple. All the sprites were redone for Dragon Warrior, making it more in line with II-IV. What you're seeing is the original Princess Laura sprite.

So did they forget to update that dungeon sprite in DW1? That's kind of funny. Are there any other remains of the original sprites tucked away in DW1?

My head cannon is that once she's returned to the castle she gets all cleaned up and given new clothes. :wink:

• Like 1

I wish I could remember where I read this, but you are correct that they couldn't put any other NPC sprites in the dungeon. And she can only use the palette of the dungeon, so no white or peach. She's basically a wall as far as the game is concerned.

17 hours ago, Dwaine said:

Damn, you beat me to it.

35 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Damn, you beat me to it.

Yeah, by 18 hours.