Sign in to follow this  
Sackchief

Heads Up: Dragon Warrior NES Prototype Cart going up for auction February 1st

Hey guys, I found something I wanted to share with the community.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/dragon-warrior-prototype-nes-nintendo-1989-wata-certified/p/7204-216001.s?ic4

lf?set=path%5B2%2F0%2F3%2F0%2F5%2F20305632%5D%2Csizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Heritage Auctions has a listing for one of the prototype cartridges for Dragon Warrior on NES starting February 1st.  This is an individually numbered NES cart used in the production of DW1's localization and is definitely an important part of Dragon Quest history in America.  There can't be more than a dozen of these in existence and it seems authentic.  I would really like to see one of you guys win this item, because I most likely can't.  Something like this belongs to the DQ community, and I would much rather one of us get our hands on it rather than some slimy game collector who doesn't appreciate the series.  Anyone up for it lol

@Dwaine @Michi 

Edited by Sackchief

Thanks so much for the heads up!

This is actually something I've wanted to bring up for some time. I'm very much interested in collecting things like this, old press kits, and such to preserve the history of the early days. I don't know if I've got the spare cash for it. If I snagged it, I'd like to dump the rom to see if anything has changed. There was a version at CES with a title screen similar to the original logo.

• Like 2

I would like to think the person who made a bid on it cares at the very least about video game history, if not necessarily Dragon Quest history, so I feel comfortable that the item in question will be in good hands.

• Like 1

Any idea what something like that is worth?

• Like 1

I would like to think the person who made a bid on it cares at the very least about video game history, if not necessarily Dragon Quest history, so I feel comfortable that the item in question will be in good hands.

I just don’t want to see it hoarded away into someone’s basement lol. It should be shared. It would be great if we could actually inspect the game and see if there was any changed content from the Beta like Dwaine said.

Any idea what something like that is worth?

I have never seen something like this before so I can’t tell tbh. But there really can’t be many of these out there.

I want this! But I'm broke.

@Saigan

Wow. I wonder what this will go for.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Wow. I wonder what this will go for.

Probably in the thousands range.

Heritage Auctions is in Dallas, so if I don't win, I can just make the four hour drive and pull off a heist.

Wait... Why go through all that trouble. I'll be back in a few, guys.

• Like 2

Heritage Auctions is in Dallas, so if I don't win, I can just make the four hour drive and pull off a heist.
Sounds like the plot of Oceans 1.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, Plattym3 said:
On 1/22/2019 at 4:38 PM, Dwaine said:

Sounds like the plot of Oceans 1.

Only with photo bombs, as Dwaine chooses one of his many lackey's to document his exploits.

• Like 1

Whoever actually wins this had better do a rom dump of it.

• Like 2

Whoever actually wins this had better do a rom dump of it.

You'll get the DRM notice for downloading it.

Just a reminder that the item will be going up tomorrow. @Dwaine

Current bid: $850.

Theft it is.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I could buy it. I couldn’t do anything with it though so that’d be a colossal waste of money. I’d rather use that money for a Switch and some games. Shrug. I’m saving for a couple upcoming trips so that’s a hard pass for me!

• Like 1

If one of you guys get it, you'll be a legend among men.  This is like the real life Erdrick's Token except only cooler.  It'll give you powers.

What kind of powers? If Thordain isn’t one of them, it’s a pass.

Just want to confirm real quick, are any of you guys going to bid for the item?  Because if not, I'm going to let my Twitter followers know about it so at least somebody in the community gets it.  Just wanted to give the Den a first heads up.  Its best if we don't trample over each other trying to get it.

18 hours ago, Sackchief said:

Just want to confirm real quick, are any of you guys going to bid for the item?  Because if not, I'm going to let my Twitter followers know about it so at least somebody in the community gets it.  Just wanted to give the Den a first heads up.  Its best if we don't trample over each other trying to get it.

It would be cool to have, but I don't think I will be bidding on it.

I considered it ... but I have a higher priority item I want to buy at that cost. So ... I'm out.

What do you guys think about everyone chipping in to get the cart?

On 2/15/2019 at 6:00 PM, Sackchief said:

What do you guys think about everyone chipping in to get the cart?

I'd love to do that, even if it's just a little bit. I'm not sure if we have enough people though.

I can try to setup a gofundme or something, but I don't know anything about those sites and I think people should get their money back if it isn't won, can that be done?

• Like 1