Sign in to follow this  
Choppasmith

Dai (from DQ Dai no Daibouken) leaked for Bandai Namco's JUMP FORCE

So this is a pleasant surprise. Accidentally leaked via Instagram

DxS-P29X0AEtJfK?format=jpg&name=large

Kinda funny with all this talk about Erdrick in Smash. Since its developed by Bandai Namco (same company as Smash) what if they negotiated the rights to DQ characters for both games on one go?)

Anyway, I might pick this up now.

Edited by Choppasmith

This is a weird one because the majority of these characters have been super obvious picks, and even Jotaro makes some sense since JoJo’s as an anime and manga is hot right now. So far they’ve been loading the roster with easy characters like a couple Naruto, DBZ, One Piece, and Bleach characters. This is also seemingly supposed to be a game marketed toward Western players, and the Dragon Quest manga can’t even be read legally here.

Not complaining, this is just a, uh, weird but welcome pick.

Perhaps since Yuji Horii is getting up there in age he’s starting to expand the possibilities of what DQ related content appears in? I don’t have much interest in this game, but hey, seeing some Dragon Quest related content make its way into the game is pretty cool!

24 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Perhaps since Yuji Horii is getting up there in age he’s starting to expand the possibilities of what DQ related content appears in? I don’t have much interest in this game, but hey, seeing some Dragon Quest related content make its way into the game is pretty cool!

Well the rumor for Erdrick in Smash stated that S-E wants his inclusion to help promote DQ in the West. IIRC, some countries in Europe got a new copy of Dai's Manga as a pre-order bonus for DQXI. Maybe this is part of serious big push for DQ on multiple fronts.

Edited by Choppasmith

Pretty sure that Shueisha has the rights to Dai so wouldn't have had to talk with Yuji Horii. They would have to talk to Sugiyama if they wanted to use the music from the anime however (not sure they are using any anime music at all in the game). 

Either way I'll be picking this up now, wasn't going to originally but can't say no now Dai is in.

Hopefully his inclusion opens up the door for the anime/manga to be localised into English.

Edited by Chris

10 hours ago, Choppasmith said:

Well the rumor for Erdrick in Smash stated that S-E wants his inclusion to help promote DQ in the West. IIRC, some countries in Europe got a new copy of Dai's Manga as a pre-order bonus for DQXI. Maybe this is part of serious big push for DQ on multiple fronts.

Could be. I’d imagine for marketing purposes they would want to promote DQ as much as possible to raise western awareness. You just don’t see too much Dragon Quest related content outside of Square Enix crossover game events (not counting any Fortune Street games), which is why I’m surprised Dai is in this game. Really cool he’s in though, and might make me consider getting it just for him.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

This is pretty cool! I honestly am kinda surprised they didn't go with Beet the Vandel Buster (which was drawn by Dai no Daibouken's artist; I forget whether the writing is the same), which would be on the whole more known by the western audience if only because it got an actual localization -- if we assume they're catering to Westerners that way, anywho.

1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

This is pretty cool! I honestly am kinda surprised they didn't go with Beet the Vandel Buster (which was drawn by Dai no Daibouken's artist; I forget whether the writing is the same), which would be on the whole more known by the western audience if only because it got an actual localization -- if we assume they're catering to Westerners that way, anywho.

My guess is Weekly Shonen Jump characters only. While JoJo’s isn’t running in WSJ anymore, Stardust Crusaders, where this particular JoJo is from, was published in Weekly Shonen Jump. Beet the Vandal Buster has always been in monthly magazines.

I actually double-checked the roster to make sure I wasn’t talking out my ass and I didn’t notice a random City Hunter character was gonna be in it, which is honestly way weirder in terms of visibility in the West then Dai. Dai at least has a familiar brand behind him.

Get that Naruto crap outta my Dragon Quest.