Sign in to follow this  
DigimonQuest

DQX on switch

Now onto the questions regarding the eventual troubles I'd face when trying to play this game on the switch.

Let's say I already went to the eshop JAP and bought the game, the first step could be considered accomplished, I believe the only remaining challenge could be setting the switch vpn. Also if I so desired to keep the game outside my house, this would render the experience yet again unplayable still due to the vpn not being set on an hotel router for example. I need clarifications from some who already did this.

Thanks.

Moved this to somewhere our X-perts will be more likely to spot this. Good luck fellow Questor.

12 hours ago, DigimonQuest said:

Now onto the questions regarding the eventual troubles I'd face when trying to play this game on the switch.

Let's say I already went to the eshop JAP and bought the game, the first step could be considered accomplished, I believe the only remaining challenge could be setting the switch vpn. Also if I so desired to keep the game outside my house, this would render the experience yet again unplayable still due to the vpn not being set on an hotel router for example. I need clarifications from some who already did this.

Thanks.

I've literally been asking this question for years now. Until the other day, I couldn't get a single answer. Turns out we have one member of the team who's accomplished this, but he had not a physical keyboard at the time so we didn't chat much about it.

To start with, of course, you'll need a VPN. Lot's of people here use SoftEther because it's free, but it's a pain. It's slow, often disconnects, and there's not much you can do about it. I've also had some security issues myself while using it, but this is not due to the program itself, rather the other people using the same connection.  The option I use, as well as at least a few others here, is the Amazon Web Services option. I plan on doing a full write-up of how to use this for the PC version soon. In the meantime, there's a link somewhere around here to a guide on a Phantasy Star Online forum, which is how I learned about it. This is theoretically platform independent, though the programs you use to actually connect to your Tokyo-based AWS micro instance may be different on other platforms (still doesn't work on Switch, as the console is a closed software ecosystem - there's a workaround, keep reading). A single user on using a "Free-Tier" micro-instance from AWS can use this method for a year completely free. (Start connecting from more than one computer at a time, though, and it will eat through your monthly "Free hours" faster, and if you run out it will charge you.) After that it's about $13/mo if you leave it on 24/7. (If you stop your rented instance it will stop charging you, but then your IP address will be different next time you start it. This usually trips up the Square Enix Account system, forcing you to change your password before you can log into the game.)

So, you've got a VPN set up on your computer. Now what? You'll need to share your internet connection with your Switch somehow. Windows 7 and above are pretty good with this (at least, sharing with other computers), but your hardware has to be compatible, and you need to be able to connect your computer to ethernet, or have 2 wifi cards. The process *should* be the same with a Switch, but I've not yet tried (I have the PC version). Got a different operating system? It's probably still possible, but I have no idea how. It would definitely have the same hardware requirements, though. Which brings me to my final point...

You mention you want to make it portable. I cannot go into detail, but our friend and teammate マット (Matt) says he carries a Raspberry Pi (presumably battery powered) that connects to his hotspot, shares the connection (with a USB wifi adapter) with his Switch and tunnels that traffic to Japan (I don't know what service he uses, but I'm sure this would work with AWS as long as there's a Pi alternative to Proxifier and Putty for tunneling traffic). I only learned of this the other day, and I don't own a Pi, so I can't confirm, but I have no reason to doubt what he's told me on the subject.

Also, I must point out; In your profile picture, Prince Kiefer Burns of Gran Estard appears to be groping himself.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I already see myself reading this a dozen times before coming to effective conclusions, nevertheless I must thank you for the effective response. Still at some critical parts I was left mystified, on the switch connectivity with pc for example, shall I speak with your friend Matt for deeper explanation? 

Regarding my profile picture, That was for me the picture that did the most justice to my favorite character, pregnant of his zeal and a little grotesque. 

You can use a program like mhotspot on a windows pc and redirect it to a vpn connection.  This can be a little complicated.  A bit easier solution is search Amazon for a "open-vpn router".  The vpn software runs on the router and you don't need your PC on.  It is pretty simple.  And you can take these mini routers with you on your trips.  You do need to buy a compatible vpn subscription for the router and load a config file for it.  The one I have works with about 20 vpn companies.  I just plug the router into my main router an away you go.  For PC playing, I got used to using AWS so I use that.  You could probably get it to work with mhotspot if you put in the effort.

I see, I don't know this AWS (amazon web services?) you speak of, but it seems to be free for one year, I'd better check it out soon.

Regarding switch, things looks to be getting expensive, if I choose what I understood to be the cheapest option, mhotspot is gonna transform my computer into a, well, hotspot, so that through magical means a gate will connect the two devices (I guess I'll figure out how to involve the switch in all of this when I'll get my hands on the program, or you could teach me the ways of the hotspot), but I guess this arcane is nothing more then what you stated in simple words, but for a profane of this art it's getting quite confusing.

Otherwise I could just spend more money on that router. You see, usually when I'm dealing with something I don't understand, I tend to go deeper untill I unveil the mystery, in other words I don't understand how can s switch connect to a vpn with a router instead then just using AWS like the pc version. If you could redirect me to a tutorial, or tell me how to use these tools, I'd be glad.

Thanks for now, anyway, I'll try to understand how those programs works, if all this is achievable,  I'll do it.

The switch uses a wireless connection so if you buy an open vpn router, the vpn client runs on the router so you don’t have to use the pc as a hotspot with mhotspot.  Those mini open vpn routers are like $35 so it isn’t too bad.  It’s just that you need a subscription that can run $10 a month without a contract or alot cheaper if you do it yearly or the like.  There is a tutorial here using AWS on the PC but it really isn’t suited for using with mhotspot since proxycap is used to route the connections to individual programs like dqx and doesn’t act like a vpn for the whole computer.  If you try mhotspot, I would go with a vpn vendor and run the client on your computer.  I don’t know the state of mhotspot on whether it is kept up to date though.  Someone else will have to chime in if it works with the latests builds of Windows 10.

30 minutes ago, Avenger said:

The switch uses a wireless connection so if you buy an open vpn router, the vpn client runs on the router so you don’t have to use the pc as a hotspot with mhotspot.  Those mini open vpn routers are like $35 so it isn’t too bad.  It’s just that you need a subscription that can run $10 a month without a contract or alot cheaper if you do it yearly or the like.  There is a tutorial here using AWS on the PC but it really isn’t suited for using with mhotspot since proxycap is used to route the connections to individual programs like dqx and doesn’t act like a vpn for the whole computer.  If you try mhotspot, I would go with a vpn vendor and run the client on your computer.  I don’t know the state of mhotspot on whether it is kept up to date though.  Someone else will have to chime in if it works with the latests builds of Windows 10.

I use Proxifier, not Proxycap... but I believe you can choose individual ports to foward, so all you'd need to do is figure out through what port the Switch traffic is coming to the PC, and forward that to AWS, right?

By the time I left my latest post, I set up AWS with relatives, so now I have a much clearer understanding of what your words means. I managed to connect and play a bit of the single player campaign.

Now, I'm still hard on understanding the switch settings for it, but rest assured I have an idea of general scheme. Now, since it's very late I'll depart, leaving you one question for the morning that'll come:

After the single player is finished, do I get to try the online part? Also, what was your starting cost for this game PC/Switch wise, and how much is you monthly cost now, including vpn subscriptions and monthly DQ subs (if it's not just one for every platform).

Farewell, sleep tight.

When I started I got 20 days free, I don't know if that's still a thing.

1 hour ago, DigimonQuest said:

By the time I left my latest post, I set up AWS with relatives, so now I have a much clearer understanding of what your words means. I managed to connect and play a bit of the single player campaign.

Now, I'm still hard on understanding the switch settings for it, but rest assured I have an idea of general scheme. Now, since it's very late I'll depart, leaving you one question for the morning that'll come:

After the single player is finished, do I get to try the online part? Also, what was your starting cost for this game PC/Switch wise, and how much is you monthly cost now, including vpn subscriptions and monthly DQ subs (if it's not just one for every platform).

Farewell, sleep tight.

I don't think there is a free trial going on now.  It's 1000 yen a month.  The good thing is that the PC and switch subscriptions are joined so you can use either of them freely.  I like to play on the Switch while lying in bed.  AWS is abt 12 bucks a month for me.  VPN's are around $10 but are heavily discounted if you buy a contract.  You will go online after the initial portion of the game at which point you will have to pay.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Avenger said:

I don't think there is a free trial going on now.  It's 1000 yen a month.  The good thing is that the PC and switch subscriptions are joined so you can use either of them freely.  I like to play on the Switch while lying in bed.  AWS is abt 12 bucks a month for me.  VPN's are around $10 but are heavily discounted if you buy a contract.  You will go online after the initial portion of the game at which point you will have to pay.  

I can't guarantee it, as I had an active sub already, but I just bought V1-4 all in one to replace my corrupt V1+2 installer, and I'm pretty sure it came with 20 free days. This is also the PC version, though.

My friends, I have the pleasure to announce my union with a switch unit not without a little resentment for my detatched and unmaterialistic side of the self is grandiously prominent lately, but I'm sure it's nothing that a pinch of goliardia won't fix.

Now I'm stuck, by the way. Two major beasts lock my path. The first is relatively is to solve, I need to ask you where should I buy a japanese eshop card; the scond, however, shamefully I tell you, but I lack the knowledge to make a VPN connection between switch and PC. Shall I follow this tutorial? https://www.bestvpn.co/nintendo-switch-vpn-setup/

Also, regarding the latest, is AWS still a good choice to pick for the available vpn for switch? Other than that, I should be fine.

Edited by DigimonQuest

18 hours ago, DigimonQuest said:

My friends, I have the pleasure to announce my union with a switch unit not without a little resentment for my detatched and unmaterialistic side of the self is grandiously prominent lately, but I'm sure it's nothing that a pinch of goliardia won't fix.

Now I'm stuck, by the way. Two major beasts lock my path. The first is relatively is to solve, I need to ask you where should I buy a japanese eshop card; the scond, however, shamefully I tell you, but I lack the knowledge to make a VPN connection between switch and PC. Shall I follow this tutorial? https://www.bestvpn.co/nintendo-switch-vpn-setup/

Also, regarding the latest, is AWS still a good choice to pick for the available vpn for switch? Other than that, I should be fine.

A lot of people buy them digitally from play asia.  If you do, use PayPal or another 3rd party billing service since I had an issue that was attributed to them by directly entering my credit card number.  That tutorial looks okay if you have one of the routers mentioned.  I love the mini-open vpn router I bought though.  If you go the router route, I doubt you can use AWS.  The way I have my open vpn router is that it connects directly with a wire to my main router but I only connect to it wireless when I want to use the vpn.  Very convenient.

I cannot seem to make the the switch connect to my laptop. I set up mhotspot and my switch finds the connection, but tells me thatthe DNS names can't be resolved (whatever that means)

I think I might seek urgent help.

But a small recap first: What I found comfortable doing for now is to use Softether and connect the switch to my laptop though mhotspot. I know Softether is not recommended by many but speaking with Cranberries she doesn't seem to be having any issues with that, however she cannot help me further as I am using a different connection metheod.

Thanks.

*Cranberry

Yes, my apologies to the direct interested. 

I have an update to announce: Nothing good, but it's one steps towards resolution. The DNS issue was due to my laptop not being allowed to share connections, this problem remains as I still cannot solve the issue. However, providence made me have another laptop where this issue isn't showing, but when attempting a connection using mhotspot It doesn't want to work, saying (on the switch) something around those words "Cannot connect to the internet. There is no answer from the server- Try again later".

Welcome in my everyday problem solving pattern, I must have infuriated some eggregore to deserve this.

28 minutes ago, DigimonQuest said:

Yes, my apologies to the direct interested. 

I have an update to announce: Nothing good, but it's one steps towards resolution. The DNS issue was due to my laptop not being allowed to share connections, this problem remains as I still cannot solve the issue. However, providence made me have another laptop where this issue isn't showing, but when attempting a connection using mhotspot It doesn't want to work, saying (on the switch) something around those words "Cannot connect to the internet. There is no answer from the server- Try again later".

Welcome in my everyday problem solving pattern, I must have infuriated some eggregore to deserve this.

This is why I gave up on mhotspot.  I don't even know if it's kept up to date with the latest Windows 10 releases.  I remember running into similar issues.  You just have to hope that someone who successfully uses it sees your post.  

My friend I solved the hotspot issue, well the one I told you about. It was a mistake by my part, I shared connection with ethernet not wireless, that is now solved. However it stops connecting when I start softether.

I have three paths to follow now: Solve this thing and keep using softether; Use another vpn program (I'm open to suggestions); Follow the tutorial I linked above.

One way or another this is gonna end with me playing the game.

I have the feeling this is the ultimate update to our adventure.

It appears that my lack of understanding of the adapters in windows made this whole situation way more complicated thatn it could have been. Still thanks to the help of Cranberry I made it so I could share the connection not with my wi-fi adapter, but with the virtual adapter born after the first connection to a vpn in softether: this made it so I could connect the switch to the hotspot. I believe this whole thing is fixed but I'm waiting for responses both from you and Cranberry before laying the stone on this story.

15 hours ago, DigimonQuest said:

I have the feeling this is the ultimate update to our adventure.

It appears that my lack of understanding of the adapters in windows made this whole situation way more complicated thatn it could have been. Still thanks to the help of Cranberry I made it so I could share the connection not with my wi-fi adapter, but with the virtual adapter born after the first connection to a vpn in softether: this made it so I could connect the switch to the hotspot. I believe this whole thing is fixed but I'm waiting for responses both from you and Cranberry before laying the stone on this story.

To check if the vpn is working.  Connect via a phone or tablet, and google something like "where is my ip."  If you are connected to a true Japanese vpn, geolocation should show you are in Japan.

It's telling it's from japan. Apparently I did it. So, soon I'll be uploading a thread on how to accomplish this in a refined tutorial, I believe It's a necessary condition not only for me as a working (and outstanding, clearly) member of a micro-society, but mostly for the fact that I found a completely free solution to switch vpn, keep in mind however that we're talking about softether, for all that's worth). This, however, can only happen once I get my copy of DQX, and here I ask you: Since I see playasia selling physical copies, is there any trustworthy site from which I can buy a virtual copy/a nintendo eshop card (in this tatest case I find it laughable that the max eshop card I can buy is 5000 Y, while the game on the eshop is 5100, how am I supposed to work this out? By buying 5000+1000?)

Well that is it for now.

Does the Japanese EShop not accept US credit/debit?

I wish so, but as far as i know (and looked for online), it does not.

I would better wait what it takes for a cartridge to arrive, but I'm not sure if it really comes in cartridge (and in the case, how much do I actually still have to download for a all in one), or it's some code.

Unless you have a japanese 3ds, the switch eshop just takes japanese credit cards.   You can buy the physical package if you can wait.  It contains a download code for the japanese eshop.  There is no physical catridge.  Note to pay the monthly fee per month, most people pay with Japanese webmoney so you still have to deal with the transfer of digital currency.  Square-enix only accepts Japanese credit cards.