Trails of Cold Steel 3 coming Fall 2019!

Saw this news this morning!

http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/17/nis-america-bringing-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii-westward-in-fall-2019/

While NIS America being the publisher has me worried after things went with Ys VIII, I’m happy to hear we’ll finally be getting the game. And by the sounds of it some key members of former Trails game translations will be apart of the Cold Steel 3 team, so that’s reassuring translation wise.

• Like 1

Here’s an article about the localization of Cold Steel 3. Looks like the rumors of past Trails English release workers being on the staff were true! That’s reassuring for the western release. Hopefully if these guys and gals are onboard for the game we’ll see the same quality Cold Steel 1 and (I assume) 2 have, and with an eventual release of Cold Steel 4 and some other previously unreleased Trails games like the Crossbell Duology.

Be sure to read this @Plattym3.

The Legend Of Heroes: Trails Of Cold Steel III Script Is 2.4x Larger Than The Witcher III’s

trails cold steel iii localization 3

NIS America held its PAX South 2019, and a number of details about The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III script has appeared as a result. For example, 1,111,111 words, made up of 2.5 million Japanese characters, are being translated by the team, which includes past The Legend of Heroes translators and editors. 

The portion of the panel going over The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III focused on the massive size of the game. It began by giving examples of standard article sizes, noting that plays could be 5,000-10,000 words, movie scripts would be around 7,500-20,000 words, and books could be around 80,000-150,000 words. It then pointed out that The Witcher III had a 450,000 word script, Dragon Age: Origin‘s had 740,000 words, Assault Spy had around 49,620 words, and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony had about 977,777 words. 

You can see NIS America’s JPN → USA : Danganronpa, Touhou, and Beyond panel here. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III portion begins at the 42 minute mark. In addition to the length of the script, it also points out that the glossary, lore, and teamwork between characters are part of what makes this series stand out, compared to other titles. The glossary here dwarfs other installments and contains hundreds of words. The Lore-calization support staff was also announced. Ryan Thomson, who worked on Trails of Cold Steel I and II, will be working on translating and proofing. Brittany Avery, who worked on The Legend of Heroes series since Trails in the Sky FC, will be the Localization Producer, Freelance Editor, and working with casting and recording. Kris Knigge, who worked on Trails of Cold Steel I and II, will be an editor and consultant.  

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/18/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii-script-is-2-4x-larger-than-the-witcher-iiis/#8ZylXcp8WuzXeVf2.99

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm just waiting on XSEED to release the PS4 versions of Cold Steel/2 here and I'll replay them via NG+ to refresh myself before CS3 this fall.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

having fun with it so far....though IMO the new characters aren't as "likeable" for me so far....

• 1 month later...

I am fairly divided. In terms of playing comfort, it seems to me to be one of the best in the saga I have played. Rather well paced, but concerning the script or the narration it is for me one of the most disappointing. It remains, in my opinion, one of the few J-RPG universes that is still worth discovering.

VPN Sai Mannat AnyDesk

Edited by avensis
4 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I won it on a local auction site for like 17 bucks, brand new. 

So hopefully I'll be playing it here soon. 

Have you played the first two Trails of Cold Steel games? This series isn’t like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy where you can jump in with any game and it being a stand alone experience.

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Have you played the first two Trails of Cold Steel games? This series isn’t like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy where you can jump in with any game and it being a stand alone experience.

Nope.

I did some research on just that and many said it was fine as a standalone. 

That being said, based upon your advice, maybe I'll put the game on the shelf until I can purchase and play the first two. Is that the course of action you'd recommend??

Like I said, more than anything I just did a price comparison and found the price to be very good, so my purchase was primarily motivated by that. 

11 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Nope.

I did some research on just that and many said it was fine as a standalone. 

That being said, based upon your advice, maybe I'll put the game on the shelf until I can purchase and play the first two. Is that the course of action you'd recommend??

Like I said, more than anything I just did a price comparison and found the price to be very good, so my purchase was primarily motivated by that. 

Just to be clear, I’m not trying to talk you out of playing the game. You don’t have as much time to game as some of us may have, so don’t let me talk you/convince you to play something else first.

From what I’ve heard it can be played on its own without prior knowledge/playthroughs of the first two games. However, I can tell you that playing them in numerical order can make a difference. I’ve played all of CS1 and am about halfway through CS2 and I definitely felt like I needed to play CS1 to understand what CS2 brings to the table. You are a lot more familiar with what’s going on with the characters, story, and world of the series.

CS3, from my understanding, takes place a few years after the events of CS2, so it could be one where you can go in no problem. But from what trailers I’ve seen of the game, there are a few elements present that make me think it would be harder for a new player to see and understand.

If you want my opinion, you should try and play Cold Steel 1 and 2 before you start Cold Steel 3, but ONLY if you want to. If you can, play the PS4 versions of Cold Steel 1 and 2 that released in the west last year. I don’t know what the price is on both for new/used copies, so you’ll have to look into that. You’ll come to appreciate the characters, setting, and locations of Erebonia a lot more that way.

But again, I totally understand if you just want to get straight into three, especially for that good price you got it at. I know you are pretty busy so you do what sounds best for your gaming schedule time. CS3 could have a refresher of past events for new players too, like Cold Steel 2 had, but I don’t know for certain.

Legends of Heroes/Trails of Fanboys will call both of you blasphemous for not starting with Trails in the Sky & then getting into the half-fan/half-Google translated PSP duology. Geeze, how the hell will you know anything about anything!?

Oh, because of a catch-up YouTube video & in-game flashbacks. Got it.

Start with Trails of Cold Steel 3.

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Legends of Heroes/Trails of Fanboys will call both of you blasphemous for not starting with Trails in the Sky & then getting into the half-fan/half-Google translated PSP duology. Geeze, how the hell will you know anything about anything!?

Oh, because of a catch-up YouTube video & in-game flashbacks. Got it.

Start with Trails of Cold Steel 3. emoji12.png

Said fanboys are usually in your age bracket too. 😘

Said fanboys are usually in your age bracket too.
You calling me fat?

Wait. Wrong response. You calling me old?

Well, damn Skippy I'm old.

Just for that you need to go back and play the most mediocre trilogy, the Gargamelv or whatever it is on PSP too! It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the Trails of, but you're not a real fan if you haven't played them!
4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

You calling me fat?

Wait. Wrong response. You calling me old?

Well, damn Skippy I'm old.

Just for that you need to go back and play the most mediocre trilogy, the Gargamelv or whatever it is on PSP too! It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the Trails of, but you're not a real fan if you haven't played them!

Is that going to be our next race?

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Eh... To be fair it's the total length of Cold Steel 3. Hahaf0b415f38cbab3be7ac063610165768b.jpg211ed1c3917703b3dc17595419ad0064.jpgf5a637b535399aaac85bd8dc64ba7634.jpg

I’ve heard those games have shitty translations thanks to Namco Bandai. So I’m not planning to play them.

• Like 1
I’ve heard those games have shitty translations thanks to Namco Bandai. So I’m not planning to play them.
Speaking of shitty translations, the chick in Grandia 2 said "could care less." I think I'm done with that game.
1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Speaking of shitty translations, the chick in Grandia 2 said "could care less." I think I'm done with that game.

That’s part of why I could never get into Final Fantasy VII. That translation for the original is bad. Like, wow this is awkwardly bad.

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Hmmmm......I do happen to have a PSP lying around. So theoretically, I could play all of them......

THEORETICALLY

If you plays games via Steam, I’d recommend playing Trails in the Sky that way.

As for those other three games Platty mentioned, those are probably meant as a joke. No one likes the English releases of those three Legend of Heroes games.

As for those other three games Platty mentioned, those are probably meant as a joke. No one likes the English releases of those three Legend of Heroes games.
From what I understood listening to a podcast with fans of the series... They're pretty much meh to OK. Nothing to go back and experience. Like all of Kemco's library!
9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Like all of Kemco's library!

Haha, true that.

• Like 1
On 1/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I don't

I'm old school in the sense that in most cases, I like to have physical copies of my games. 

It's not necessarily a hard and fast rule for me, but it's the way I like it.