Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

Steam + AppLocale + Dragon Quest X

I just started a thread in the Technology board, but since a lot of the DQX team seems to stick to just this board, I figured I'd post here too. I'm having issues getting my controllers to work with DQX while also using AppLocale. To keep the conversation centered, I just leave a link here to the other thread. 

What controller are you trying to use that isn't working?

Any controller other than an XBox One controller. Specifically Switch Pro and DualShock 4. They work if I disable button mapping through Steam, but then I have to switch (no pun intended) the setting back and forth every time I play something else. More details can be found in the other thread, linked in the OP.

I have an idea of what you can try  go {Drive:\Directory where you installed steam}\Steam\controller_base\ copy empty.vfd and paste it into the folder called templates. Go to the shortcut in steam you created right click  and click edit steam controller configuration.  Click on browse configs if not already selected select templates click show other controller types and select the one that is pretty much blank Click okay on the warning the click on apply configuration. 

I'll try that and get back to you on it, but I'm skeptical. Steam completely forgets the game is running seconds after launching; leading me to believe it just can't hook into the program to apply ANY controller configuration. (Or overlay, for that matter.)

5 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'll try that and get back to you on it, but I'm skeptical. Steam completely forgets the game is running seconds after launching; leading me to believe it just can't hook into the program to apply ANY controller configuration. (Or overlay, for that matter.)

If that doesn't work I've found a few other possible solutions.

Though I don't understand your applocal problems (I just set my whole system to Japanese) if I want to use the config, menu's etc., there are now 2 devices out that turn a PS4 dual shock or switch pro controller or switch joycons to x-input.  The one I am using is called the Mayflash Magic NS adapter.  I paired my Switch Pro controller to it and use it on my pc.  The PC sees it as an Xbox controller.  The other adapter is called the 8bitdo adapter.  I recommend the mayflash one since people say there is no lag.  I haven't tested a PS4 controller on it but it'll probably work without issues.  Both  of these devices are about  $20 and can be found at Amazon.

I appreciate the tip, but the last thing I want is a hardware adapter. The DualShock 4 has had native windows drivers for years now,  but I want to use Steam to edit controls like with all of my other games. (Switch Pro Controller, too, but I'm having a different issue entirely with that.)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero