Dakhil

What new content/features would you like to see in Dragon Quest XI S?

15 minutes ago, ignasia said:

That's literally how forgettable she is.  Until a certain event in Act 2, she never struck a cord with me.  Always a tad off-key, and a bit too plucked and not finely tuned for my taste.

I liked her. But the Act 2 part you’re talking about made me like her even more. Good character development for her.

That was obvious by just prior to Arboria.  Her party chat is very flirtatious by that section.  The top of First Forest...that was telling indeed.  She clearly had fallen head over heels for him at that point.  No projection there.  We're only given an understanding of this more fully with the Arboria quest about the love letter their first incarnation wrote about the first Luminary.  Seems that based on all accounts, Veronica absorbed most of Serenica's personality and with that, her sense of desire for the Luminary which is rekindled over the course of the game.  Serena isn't sure what to do with herself half the time if Veronica isn't present.

Now that you mention it I notice that and it makes sense that Veronica loves the Luminary. It’s so weird that we’re basically forced to marry Gemma which would probably break her heart. This is why we’re getting multiple options I guess lol.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sackchief said:

Now that you mention it I notice that and it makes sense that Veronica loves the Luminary. It’s so weird that we’re basically forced to marry Gemma which would probably break her heart. This is why we’re getting multiple options I guess lol.

I guess it's like DQV, given Gemma and the Hero grew up together, and all the statements indicating she wants no one else, and wants her Luminary to come back to her, Gemma is in a way a far more strongly connected Bianca.  

Though given the events that transpire, it isn't like Horii didn't write in each female as though there could be a stronger connection due to their travels and surviving trials and tribulations together.  I am surprised that the option for multiple wives wasn't available from the start, nor a greater emphasis, like actually witnessing a wedding.  It isn't like he didn't set the story up for this to happen.  There's at least 3 different points foreshadowing the likelihood of such an event.  Then the way it works out is a little ridiculous.  I mean it isn't like after having saved the day Gemma would need a wish to marry him...that made no sense.  Literally no sense.  It also takes away the idea of a fun fiesta in between the first set of major events in Act 3, and right before the true final boss reveals himself.  That could easily have been written in.  Or wait until Cobblestone is complete, then top it off with a wedding celebration.

It's not like Cobblestone's mayor doesn't double down on the Luminary marrying his daughter "when" he returns or anything.  Or his adoptive mother indicating that your character and Gemma are essentially a married couple already given how close you two are, and obviously wanting to make that a reality so you'd have extra reason to return or anything...

So given that it would make sense to do a whole setup, have a special event, and you pick your wife under certain circumstances in the midst of it.  Maybe another night restless night under the tree...

It really surprised me especially given 11 takes a lot from 8 as well, and there's even more foreshadowing for marriage in 11 than 8 ever had!

Long before I spoiled myself on it, just walking back into Cobblestone in Act 2, seeing everyone alive, and the language and dialogue has a lot of hints and focus on marriage...and how great it is that Gemma has the Hero...and how you two should get together, and how Gemma's waiting for you to return and will keep the village in great shape until your return...to her, specifically her, not the village, not his mum, but HER!

I want to shake Horii, ask him wtf he was thinking making it a wish.  That would have been so much fun seeing a proper wedding party.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 3

1. Alternate weddings

2. using only tactics challenge a.k.a No follow orders tactic in draconian mode. It can make fights interesting or plain frustrating so maybe adding some more specific tactics might help.

3. make the hero react a bit like dq 8 does.

4. Female luminary considering dq 3,4, 9 and 10 have heroines you could add a heroine. The only differe ce is probably equipment, aesethics and a few extra lines.

5. Personality stuff like dq 3 for the hero/heroine does but it can't be changed later on, It helps flesh out the hero/heroine and gives some slight modifications to level ups which can mean unique hero/heroine per playthrough. Tho this mechanic can be exploited if you know which personality is broken. I would suggest keeping a broken personality away tho.

you can either choose the personality or undergo a trial like dq 3 does.

6. one skill that shows you what element/status effect the enemy is weak against would be helpful.

Edited by Darknight97

New Draconian Quests, like removing metal slimes that make people outlevel areas in the blink of an eye, random encounters, forcing one type of "continue" option, A.I. controlled teammates, removal of seeds, no peps etc.

And waifu luminary.

Edit: I like how I just casually answered my own thread right here 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Shogil

Posted (edited)

I just hope there are some big, fun surprises that they haven’t already told us about. I mean, there’s already SO much in the base game, and SO MUCH they’ve announced for Definitive S. But I still hope for some surprises.

Some of my wishes got mentioned, I think, but I’ll still make a list:

1. Playable (or at least cutscene) wedding/housewarming party. And hopes that all pairings are handled with respect so that players who see, for example, Erik as a best friend and those who see romance there are equally satisfied. Or, you know, just go for it and make it romance.

And if Veronica is a marriage option, for the love of Rubiss, age her up! Honestly, I hope there’s a wish to restore her age even if not marrying her. It seems at least as important as Serena’s haircut, right?

2. ALL past DQ Hero outfits, ALL having the music change effect. This would blow my mind, honestly.

3. Memory Theater, cutscene viewer

4. Walking around interiors of transportation vessels. I doubt this will happen, but I want to lounge around the ship.

5. SIT anywhere. In any chair, on ledges, on the ground. Again, I doubt this will happen, but with Photo Mode, I really wish it would. I wanna sit and lie down in the beautiful fields of flowers and take photos.

6. WAY more casual clothes, including beachwear and winter clothes, pajamas, etc. for ALL characters. Since I haven’t seen it online yet, it doesn’t even seem like the Boxer Shorts can be equipped as an outfit for male characters. That’s just crazy to me. DQ Boxer Shorts are a well-established meme. There’s event merchandise centered around DQ’s Boxer Shorts. Every single character should be able to equip this item (although ladies also need a top, I guess. Maybe automatic white T-shirt?). There should be exactly eight Boxer Shorts in the game and each should have different colored stripes or something. Finding all of them to make your team fight in their Boxers should be a fun gag. But not a cop out! — ALSO PLUS swimwear for guys and characters other than Jade/Martina. I want beach party photos! And winter clothes for more than just Erik, and not just via scanning a Japan-only comic.

I am very excited about Photo Mode, but I don’t always want them to look dressed for a fight. More mixing and matching would be nice, too, using tops and bottoms versus just whole outfits. I’d pay for this DLC, honestly. In such a beautiful game world with such endearing characters, a well-developed Photo Mode could add significant value for me.

*In addition to cold weather clothes that could be used to take “Christmas” shots, it would be nice to get at least one “goth” outfit that could be theme day as Halloween. I’d love it if we get to keep the mask from Masked Martial Arts fighting. Even better if there’s are multiple collectible designs. I’d like at least eight. Eight different colors of Bunny Ears that can be equipped by any/all characters to make spring/Easter shots would also be nice.

7. Tockle/Yocchi Village viewable in 3D. I’ve only seen it in 2D so far…

8. Land anywhere when flying instead of just at set points. I doubt I’m getting this, sadly.

9. Rumble feedback. Does PS4 have this? I haven’t thought of it til now.

10. Viewable any time “book” with all the load screen flavor text, as it unlocks. I really, really want this. I bet they’d even have done it… but I doubt they thought of it. I really want to keep those little details.

11. Places clearly designed to look out at the rising sun, the sunset, the moon, and the stars. I think this probably already exists.

12. A high-quality artbook, preferably bilingual, called EXPLORER’S HANDBOOK, bound as if from Erdrea. I want everything that was in the “Edition of Lost Time”, plus tons of new stuff, including especially original art by Katsuya Terada. I especially want his illustrations of game items and towns. For me, Terada’s illustration is almost as much a part of DQ as Toriyama’s designs. I want to see his take on DQXI.

13. I really, really want a replica of the box the Luminary finds at Cobblestone. It looks so much like a box I once had on my bed as a kid. I want this so much, and I’m afraid it’s unlikely.

14. I also want a replica of the Luminary’s blue/green pendant. I think that’s surely gonna happen, except that I’m surprised it already hasn’t, so…

There’s probably a lot more I could add, but I’m gonna force myself to stop here.

EDIT: I just remembered an important one! “Pep Powers” renamed “Zone Link” and “…is getting pepped up!” restored to “…is in the zone!”

I’m fairly certain this will not actually change, with deepest regret, but at least it’s only text, so I can imagine it as it should be.

Edited by JustACorpse
  • Like 2

@JustACorpse Err, tags here are in brackets.  This ain't GameFAQs (why GFAQS still uses <> I'll never understand).

That said, yes, definitely to part 2 of #1.  That MUST happen.  Poor girl needs a reworked adult headpiece as well, it looks find as a child, but they didn't upscale it properly, it's MASSIVE.

Now, onto a few things.

#1) Good idea, and probably because the lack of one was one of the biggest complaints in Japan.

#2) I'd love to see this, as DQ8 just isn't enough.  I'd pay for DQ's 1~7 + 9 (Celestrian costume)

#3) They have this in the original game (PS4/PC, and I believe 3DS as well).  Go to the Medal School, the tree next to the headmaster's hut.

#4) Would be cool, but never happened in a DQ, with the exception of ships prior to using them, like Taloon's in DQ4.

#5) Photomode is supposed to get a few extra pose features, so maybe?

#6) -

#7) It's only in 2D.  When you go there it switches to 2D mode. The reason they did this is because all of the past events are in 2D, and they removed the "Tockle"/Yochi Dungeon quest, where you recruit Yoshi's, and instead place those same Yoshi's you'd recruit, or at least some of them, as Yoshi's who give you new access points as you progress through the game.  Not sure how that works, whether you need to just talk to them/find them first, or do something like a quest first to get a present.  If you want a 3D mode of the village, which does exist, you'll have to get the 3DS version and unlock your 3DS.

#8) 3DS version has this, but who knows.  The 2D mode might allow for this (it should given the nature of the world map when flying should remain).  So who knows with the 3D mode on the Switch.  No reason was given for this setup on the PS4, as they could have easily had both the sparkly spots and normal landing.

#9) No rumble feature that I'm aware of.  No function in the menu to turn one on or off.  I don't know about the Switch.

#10) It's on all versions.  Menu (Hit Triangle or X depending on system) -> Misc. -> Traveller's Tips (ALL of them are ripped from here).  There's also current game text when you load the game, that tells you what the current story is at, and this too is ... Menu -> Misc. -> Info -> The Story So Far (contains ALL of the story up to the point you're at).

#11) There are a few where the rise/fall does pop at particular angles relative to the cityscape.  There's at least one spot where the whale lands that looks like it had some astro-theological element to it.  There are a few spots that do look at the rising or falling sun, or have dramatic shifts as the sun rises or falls in the overworld as well.

#12) They put out an artbook, quite a nice one too.  As for one after the Switch releases...maybe.  I wouldn't expect that type of special binding though.  That level of craftsmanship would cost an arm and a leg.  I would expect about $120 minimum for a book like what you're requesting if you want it to last, as that would require genuine leather.  I guess they can do what they typically do, and just create an artistic background that has a nice protective plastic shield, so it LOOKS like it comes from Erdrea, and charge $50.

#13) You mean a trinket to buy?  You'd probably have to go to some crafts place that can make that for you, and special order it. 

#14) I wouldn't be surprised if that is on sale here.  Looking over the SE Japanese store, there isn't one.  I do recall seeing one way back when DQ11 was first released, but I think that was on special order or something, or a limited supply.  You'd have to find a Jeweler who takes special orders.

#15) Err...Pep is the official name.  There is no "restoring" the Japanese term Zone.  It might be lame, but Horii does get involved with the localization process, and whatever you might think, I would suggest just changing your viewpoint on it.  Just like with changing certain names.  It's a little silly and foolish to view a name alteration in localization as somehow unofficial or unacceptable when that's literally just your mindset.  You may not like it, but that's always going to be the case.  They'll always track and follow the style of localization that was brought up since DQ8, and has expanded greatly into the world of silliness, as the entire DQ team and SE have decided to maintain a very high degree of consistency.  So getting worked up over something that you cannot change and will never change, under any circumstances, will do you no good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ignasia said:

@JustACorpse Err, tags here are in brackets.  This ain't GameFAQs (why GFAQS still uses <> I'll never understand).

Thanks. Fixed it.

That said, yes, definitely to part 2 of #1.  That MUST happen.  Poor girl needs a reworked adult headpiece as well, it looks find as a child, but they didn't upscale it properly, it's MASSIVE.

Now, onto a few things.

Just narratively, it’s such a feeling of achievement to make that happen. I hope they do it!

#1) Good idea, and probably because the lack of one was one of the biggest complaints in Japan.

I hope you’re right, and if it happens, I hope the male options feel just as celebratory as the wedding options.

#2) I'd love to see this, as DQ8 just isn't enough.  I'd pay for DQ's 1~7 + 9 (Celestrian costume)

It would solve a criticism I’ve seen a lot, that there isn’t enough variety in the music. Also, this game is shaping up to be an intro to the series for a lot of players over the past couple of years. Exposure to past games is smart business sense. I think it could happen, but they’re heavily advertising VIII and only VIII. It would be an incredible surprise if they do it, definite hype bomb.

#3) They have this in the original game (PS4/PC, and I believe 3DS as well).  Go to the Medal School, the tree next to the headmaster's hut.

Amazing! I’m so happy to hear this! The Medal Academy is already dear to me because my LE Switch preorder bonus includes a room key holder from the school!

#4) Would be cool, but never happened in a DQ, with the exception of ships prior to using them, like Taloon's in DQ4.

Can’t win ‘em all. Expectations appropriately tempered.

#7) It's only in 2D.  When you go there it switches to 2D mode. The reason they did this is because all of the past events are in 2D, and they removed the "Tockle"/Yochi Dungeon quest, where you recruit Yoshi's, and instead place those same Yoshi's you'd recruit, or at least some of them, as Yoshi's who give you new access points as you progress through the game.  Not sure how that works, whether you need to just talk to them/find them first, or do something like a quest first to get a present.  If you want a 3D mode of the village, which does exist, you'll have to get the 3DS version and unlock your 3DS.

I live in Japan, but I’m satisfied with the Definitive Edition. I’d only care about the 3D if it looked like the Switch/PS4/PC version.

#8) 3DS version has this, but who knows.  The 2D mode might allow for this (it should given the nature of the world map when flying should remain).  So who knows with the 3D mode on the Switch.  No reason was given for this setup on the PS4, as they could have easily had both the sparkly spots and normal landing.

I hadn’t thought of it til you posted, but yeah, maybe I can use 2D to go to any little islands I can’t get to in 3D. Though I’d like to see everything in 3D. This game world is crazy beautiful!

#9) No rumble feature that I'm aware of.  No function in the menu to turn one on or off.  I don't know about the Switch.

I figured. I’ll not expect this.

#10) It's on all versions.  Menu (Hit Triangle or X depending on system) -> Misc. -> Traveller's Tips (ALL of them are ripped from here).  There's also current game text when you load the game, that tells you what the current story is at, and this too is ... Menu -> Misc. -> Info -> The Story So Far (contains ALL of the story up to the point you're at).

This was perhaps the most important to me. Thank you for confirming this!

#11) There are a few where the rise/fall does pop at particular angles relative to the cityscape.  There's at least one spot where the whale lands that looks like it had some astro-theological element to it.  There are a few spots that do look at the rising or falling sun, or have dramatic shifts as the sun rises or falls in the overworld as well.

Fun! I’ll be on the lookout!

#12) They put out an artbook, quite a nice one too.  As for one after the Switch releases...maybe.  I wouldn't expect that type of special binding though.  That level of craftsmanship would cost an arm and a leg.  I would expect about $120 minimum for a book like what you're requesting if you want it to last, as that would require genuine leather.  I guess they can do what they typically do, and just create an artistic background that has a nice protective plastic shield, so it LOOKS like it comes from Erdrea, and charge $50.

Do you mean the Companion’s Compendium that came with the “Edition of Light”? No one is selling it separately, so it’s not worth it to me. Also, I’d expect the Japanese artbook to be Definitive anyway.

I’ve already got the packaging from the Japanese PS4/3DS Dual Pack. The Cloth Map is also being sold separately here, though it says “Map of Dragon Quest XI” instead of “Map of Erdrea”. It’s annoying, but not a dealbreaker. Plus there’s the gorgeous faux leather Switch case. I’m kind of putting together my own LE.

#13) You mean a trinket to buy?  You'd probably have to go to some crafts place that can make that for you, and special order it. 

Yeah, maybe. I might just try to make it myself.

#14) I wouldn't be surprised if that is on sale here.  Looking over the SE Japanese store, there isn't one.  I do recall seeing one way back when DQ11 was first released, but I think that was on special order or something, or a limited supply.  You'd have to find a Jeweler who takes special orders.

You’re in Japan, too? Cool. I’ve never even seen photos of it, so I thought they hadn’t made it at all yet. I’ll keep an eye out.

#15) Err...Pep is the official name.  There is no "restoring" the Japanese term Zone.  It might be lame, but Horii does get involved with the localization process, and whatever you might think, I would suggest just changing your viewpoint on it.  Just like with changing certain names.  It's a little silly and foolish to view a name alteration in localization as somehow unofficial or unacceptable when that's literally just your mindset.  You may not like it, but that's always going to be the case.  They'll always track and follow the style of localization that was brought up since DQ8, and has expanded greatly into the world of silliness, as the entire DQ team and SE have decided to maintain a very high degree of consistency.  So getting worked up over something that you cannot change and will never change, under any circumstances, will do you no good.

I’m not exactly complaining or whining. I just really do think “in the zone” is better. But it’s true, Horii-san approved it, so I can just accept it.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, ignasia said:

Thanks. Fixed it.

Now, onto a few things.

Just narratively, it’s such a feeling of achievement to make that happen. I hope they do it!

I hope you’re right, and if it happens, I hope the male options feel just as celebratory as the wedding options.

It would solve a criticism I’ve seen a lot, that there isn’t enough variety in the music. Also, this game is shaping up to be an intro to the series for a lot of players over the past couple of years. Exposure to past games is smart business sense. I think it could happen, but they’re heavily advertising VIII and only VIII. It would be an incredible surprise if they do it, definite hype bomb.

Amazing! I’m so happy to hear this! The Medal Academy is already dear to me because my LE Switch preorder bonus includes a room key holder from the school!

Can’t win ‘em all. Expectations appropriately tempered.

I live in Japan, but I’m satisfied with the Definitive Edition. I’d only care about the 3D if it looked like the Switch/PS4/PC version.

I hadn’t thought of it til you posted, but yeah, maybe I can use 2D to go to any little islands I can’t get to in 3D. Though I’d like to see everything in 3D. This game world is crazy beautiful!

I figured. I’ll not expect this.

This was perhaps the most important to me. Thank you for confirming this!

Fun! I’ll be on the lookout!

Do you mean the Companion’s Compendium that came with the “Edition of Light”? No one is selling it separately, so it’s not worth it to me. Also, I’d expect the Japanese artbook to be Definitive anyway.

I’ve already got the packaging from the Japanese PS4/3DS Dual Pack. The Cloth Map is also being sold separately here, though it says “Map of Dragon Quest XI” instead of “Map of Erdrea”. It’s annoying, but not a dealbreaker. Plus there’s the gorgeous faux leather Switch case. I’m kind of putting together my own LE.

Yeah, maybe. I might just try to make it myself.

You’re in Japan, too? Cool. I’ve never even seen photos of it, so I thought they hadn’t made it at all yet. I’ll keep an eye out.

I’m not exactly complaining or whining. I just really do think “in the zone” is better. But it’s true, Horii-san approved it, so I can just accept it.

EDIT: 

I also want those cool Slime hapi and yukata from the 2019 Summer Matsuri as in-game wearables in multiple colors! And the aloha shirts! They could make quick cash by just selling me outfits and poses as DLC forever. That’s how excited I am for Photo Mode with this cast! I want all the fun seasonal content that DQX and DQB get! Like Santa hats with Slime pom poms or clips or something. I doubt this is happening, but Photo Mode is new for the series, right? So maybe? They could have all of my money…

And some kind of weather-altering charms/spells or something, so I can make it rainy/snowy/foggy/misty/sunny etc, any time, anywhere. Even if it only works in Photo Mode.

Oh! Maybe a Cowbell that changes the weather depending how many times you hit it! That would seem to integrate well with two existing game elements.

And the ability to customize and decorate my home in the endgame.

That would be awesome! Imagine if we could make a small garden and grow Seeds! I feel certain this would’ve been announced if it had any chance of happening.

And a Photo Album in-game! Bonus points for “only limit is your memory card and saved to card”. More bonus points for sharing online! Extra bonus points if in addition to being accessible from your menu any time, it’s also an item you can pick up

in your house!

Edited by JustACorpse
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

LOL, no, I don't live in Japan.  I just checked their online Japanese store.

Oh good.  I'm just used to people who do start getting into the whole "names were changed, change them back," taking it rather personally.  A few people I know stopped playing the games over the spell name changes, after DQ4 continued the "madness," in their minds, and then there were (and still sometimes are), the complaints about Hassan -> Carver, or in this game, Martina -> Jade.

I guess I was just being proactive.  I shouldn't have rushed to judgment.  Though I do agree, Zone is a better term.  I'm not overly fond of "Pep."  Nor does it make sense, because the nature of it, is that the character intensifies, and becomes hyper focused, thus unlocking hidden potential.  Getting in the "Zone" being an old description for warriors in that heightened state.  Whether one is calling the target to them in archery, Javelin, Spear, or rock throwing, or focusing on the target when shooting a gun, or focused on the battlefield when handling your weapon, and the position of your comrades.  Similar training functionality for detective work, or spy work, where you've a split second sometimes to memorize elements, maybe the license plate of a speeding getaway car, or the pin number on a slip of paper you were only allowed to see for a half second, or piecing the full puzzle together by recalling with precision accuracy, those details.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

That’s my reasoning for why I like “in the zone” better, too. Also, visually in the game, pepped up characters don’t look like excited cheerleaders; they look like they’ve entered a kind of meditative state. They also share that mind space with other characters who have entered that same state/space, literally in the zone. Pep Powers are performed, to my mind, in that virtual meditative space. That’s why only the characters who have entered that state are visible and that’s why the over-the-top animations are almost like dream sequences. They are literally in the zone.

But whatever, it’s fine. It is what it is.

As for spell names, it’s gonna take me some getting used to, but I actually like it. It’s more like the Japanese and gives DQ a distinctive voice and tone. It will be an adjustment, but it’s one I’m happy to make.

For characters, I just think of them all as having surnames:

Jade Martina

Rab Lau

Erik Camus, etc…

This might not work for everybody, but it’s good enough for me. And it makes sense, too, that in the Japanese version, they’d use their surname as their social name.

• Like 2