That time of the year when Iggy can't make a decision and needs help...

What should I spend 200 on? All decisions include further saving up for DQ11 Switch for the future...  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shock of shocks.  The holidays come around, I'll have about 190 to spend right now, 200 in about four days.

ALL of this is Amazon gift cards.  So that's the only store I can use atm.

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with it.  There are a lot of good options, and it's strange, but when I have less money I'm far less decisive.  When I have the money to spend, I never have this problem.  It's strange.  So this might help give me some direction.  The last money I had I spent mostly on DQ11 PS4.  I've always planned to double dip anyway, so Switch is a definitely.  Not getting PC as I can't run it (grr...I can run Heroes 1 and 2, but not 11).  Plus I like on the go gaming anyway, since the GBA days.  It's convenient, and I don't mind small screens.

So any help in my decision process is greatly appreciated.

Edited by ignasia

I have so many games in my backlog that I don't think I care as much anymore about other games to add.  Once I finish my DQ11 work, it's just the previous unfinished works, and I'm done with FAQ writing permanently.  It's too much.  I'd contribute to others, but no more my own thing.

Personally I'm heavily leaning on a second N3DS, or an N2DS.  I kind of want to CFW one of them, and leave the other plain jane, or if it works out, I might CFW that one too.  Mostly I want it to have the ability to trade between games, and frankly I like having multiples of a single system...mostly due to DQ7.  I used to do that.  It's been awhile.  I wish I didn't give away my old PS1 though.  I should have kept that.  That was actually stupid.

Plus it's something I planned to do anyway, and having a second system to play DS games on, with my DSLite now bust, is a plus, or I can just leave my DQ7 or 8 playthrough going indefinitely, and use my second for any other 3DS titles I own and will own.

Of course, there are a LOT of 3DS games I want, but I think I'd rather wait on having a more stable income first, as they'll be around a very long time.

Get the NES and/or SNES Mini. On its own the SNES Mini is really good.

• Like 1

This looks like an investment question, so it seems to me to be an idea of what will get you the most returns. Ideally I'd suggest something that you could get ongoing engagement out of, so it sounds to me like you should focus on the options regarding platforms -- the retropie, the New 3DS, or the Switch -- rather than games. Unless you intend to do in-depth breakdowns of any of the games you have in mind, but I don't know that in advance.

RE: the New 3DS option, do you need to spend a full $200 on one? GameStop was for a while offering refurbished N3DSes at roughly half-price, which is how I got the one I'm using now.

EDIT: WOO. 1000 post Level Up!

Edited by JaybirdC
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, eal said:

I see there isn’t an to vote for getting a Vita.

LOL.  Don't ever change eal.  Don't.  Ever.  Change.

----

Liking the responses.  Good directions, good thought process.

6 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

This looks like an investment question, so it seems to me to be an idea of what will get you the most returns. Ideally I'd suggest something that you could get ongoing engagement out of, so it sounds to me like you should focus on the options regarding platforms -- the retropie, the New 3DS, or the Switch -- rather than games. Unless you intend to do in-depth breakdowns of any of the games you have in mind, but I don't know that in advance.

RE: the New 3DS option, do you need to spend a full $200 on one? GameStop was for a while offering refurbished N3DSes at roughly half-price, which is how I got the one I'm using now.

EDIT: WOO. 1000 post Level Up!

It is definitely more of an investment question.  Long term, the more I think about it, the less I care as much about new game purchases.  Perhaps due to time and my general investments in my FAQ writing, and life...and other pursuits. 

Oh, I'd be getting one for 164.99 from Amazon for a discontinued New 3DS Galaxy model (there are a few others in black), though I'm also considering the Orange + White New 2DS, which comes with Mario Kart 7, which for me is a bonus, as I don't own it yet, and would definitely buy (and with no added charge for the game, like the old days of pack-ins, probably because it's digital not physical).  That would run me 150, which is a bit easier, as I'd have more leeway towards a future Switch purchase after DQ11 Switch pre-order.

As for Gamestop and refurbishing.  I stay far away from those units.  Their practices are pretty bad.  Most models they refurbish use half-assed methods, old tech, recycled parts that aren't properly installed, bad thermal paste, any modifications to the hardware aren't removed (though there aren't any mod chips I'm aware of for the 3DS).  LIkely the 3DS is a safer bet, as with any other handheld, but I should point out, and it's in my first post, that the money I'm using are Amazon gift cards.  It's something I collect over time, either through gifts or using services where I gain points and that's an option.  Amazon is usually what I pick given options if I need to go outside the bounds of games (thus the PSU mention above, which I wouldn't trust at Gamestop if made available).

Also grats on your 1,000th.

----

12 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Get the NES and/or SNES Mini. On its own the SNES Mini is really good.

Yeah, they seem like a really solid purchase, especially given how easily they can be hacked.  Though the SNES mini emulator isn't as good as the NES when it comes to special chipsets it isn't already pre-coded for, and special uses of the Mode 1~9, like for specialized shadows, but it's fairly close.  One of the better emulators, but a really great chipset.  That's a really good thought though.  Plus, yeah, the games they come with are great.

13 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Save for Switch, everything is going there eventually.

This is my main choice for a reason.  For the most part it's really between another New 3DS, or a New 2DS given homebrew would give me a lot of options, I'd rather spend on that for my DS collection versus another DS Lite or DSi XL, despite that DS games look terrible on it if not put in normal DS screen mode.

I think I will sit on the cash for a bit longer and see how things turn out for money, work, my own personal writing, etc. next year.  That might be best, and get a New 2DS maybe at the same time as a Switch.  Not like I can't hold out for another year for a second system.  Maybe pick just the SNES mini for now so I have something that's new and fun in the meantime.

@ignasiaWell with the NES Mini you could put Dragon Warrior 1-4 on there (and yes you don’t like the first game but you can’t have the other 3 without the first one), Castlevania 3, and the fan translations of Final Fantasy III and Sweet Home. That should keep you plenty entertained for awhile. 😜

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

@ignasiaWell with the NES Mini you could put Dragon Warrior 1-4 on there (and yes you don’t like the first game but you can’t have the other 3 without the first one), Castlevania 3, and the fan translations of Final Fantasy III and Sweet Home. That should keep you plenty entertained for awhile. 😜

LOL, true, true.  I do love DQ1's music though =p.  I would replay it if Horii's next project is DQ1 with a simplified version of 11's skill grid.

That said, DQ1~3's remakes on the SFC, DQ5 original, DQ6 original, and a slew of other fantastic RPG's given the SNES golden era.

24 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

PSU. Keep your electronics safe. Like me. Don't lose progress due to (unlikely) power outages.

Any good cheap brands you know of?  I used to purchase ibuypower, but their PSU's don't allow for battery replacement, and use primitive connectors making it really risky to solder in a new one.

1 hour ago, ignasia said:

It is definitely more of an investment question.  Long term, the more I think about it, the less I care as much about new game purchases.  Perhaps due to time and my general investments in my FAQ writing, and life...and other pursuits. 

Oh, I'd be getting one for 164.99 from Amazon for a discontinued New 3DS Galaxy model (there are a few others in black), though I'm also considering the Orange + White New 2DS, which comes with Mario Kart 7, which for me is a bonus, as I don't own it yet, and would definitely buy (and with no added charge for the game, like the old days of pack-ins, probably because it's digital not physical).  That would run me 150, which is a bit easier, as I'd have more leeway towards a future Switch purchase after DQ11 Switch pre-order.

As for Gamestop and refurbishing.  I stay far away from those units.  Their practices are pretty bad.  Most models they refurbish use half-assed methods, old tech, recycled parts that aren't properly installed, bad thermal paste, any modifications to the hardware aren't removed (though there aren't any mod chips I'm aware of for the 3DS).  LIkely the 3DS is a safer bet, as with any other handheld, but I should point out, and it's in my first post, that the money I'm using are Amazon gift cards.  It's something I collect over time, either through gifts or using services where I gain points and that's an option.  Amazon is usually what I pick given options if I need to go outside the bounds of games (thus the PSU mention above, which I wouldn't trust at Gamestop if made available).

Also grats on your 1,000th.

I never really got into FAQ writing, mostly just answering questions for games I was well informed-on. If I ever did write a FAQ, I hereby swear to myself that it should be an in-depth Pokemon Emerald "Apprentice" guide because it's been fifteen years and somebody oughta write one.

All that about Gamestop (which doesn't surprise me in the slightest, but I haven't experienced any substantial problems) makes plenty of sense; Gamestop's everything is pretty bad. I'll have to save up for a bit, but I'll probably replace what I have with a New 3DSXL, because I have a Mega Man Smash Amiibo sitting uselessly on my shelf and the XL has an Amiibo reader -- my old XL had one, too, but I put it through the wash like a genius. And I did read the thing about the Amazon gift cards, I merely forgot once I started writing. That should count for 50% credit, at least.

Thankee kindly.

Regarding your 2/3DS dilemma, what do you have in mind for the custom firmware? (I'd recommend the 3DS basically on principal in this case because I'd rate projects over games).

• Like 1

@GrandAlchemist  Oops, Cyberpower, not ibuypower.  Need to throw out the old one, it's just a brick surge protector now (and the way it's wired the battery section won't run when teh battery no longer works).

Let's see.  APC is now using Chinese batteries, is manufacturing in China, and is no longer separating the battery bay's, so the 425VA is out of the question.  That's all I need...actually 350, so long as it can handle 200W or higher as I don't run multiple systems simultaneously.

Amazon Basics is apparently very good, but one problem: no auto reset, and replacement is hard, but the cost is the cost of a new battery anyway (well...from a brick and mortar).

Cyberpower only makes crap units.  Gonna look further into this for a bit.  I might just go Amazonbasics as it would be right nearby anyhow, so resetting manually isn't an issue.  Annoying maybe, but not an issue.

17 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

I never really got into FAQ writing, mostly just answering questions for games I was well informed-on. If I ever did write a FAQ, I hereby swear to myself that it should be an in-depth Pokemon Emerald "Apprentice" guide because it's been fifteen years and somebody oughta write one.

All that about Gamestop (which doesn't surprise me in the slightest, but I haven't experienced any substantial problems) makes plenty of sense; Gamestop's everything is pretty bad. I'll have to save up for a bit, but I'll probably replace what I have with a New 3DSXL, because I have a Mega Man Smash Amiibo sitting uselessly on my shelf and the XL has an Amiibo reader -- my old XL had one, too, but I put it through the wash like a genius. And I did read the thing about the Amazon gift cards, I merely forgot once I started writing. That should count for 50% credit, at least.

Thankee kindly.

Regarding your 2/3DS dilemma, what do you have in mind for the custom firmware? (I'd recommend the 3DS basically on principal in this case because I'd rate projects over games).

LOL, I didn't mean rock on your parade with the Gamestop stuff.  As I said though given the nature of the 3DS it's likely they might not do a terrible job at least not in the sense of a PS3 or 360 unit that's bound to break or overheat and bend/destroy itself in a matter of months, forcing a return for store credit going to a new unit.

So it's probably a safe bet.  The biggest issue is screen types.  Not sure what you'd get in Gamestop, but it's a crapshoot buying outright with the N3DS.

New 2DS units are only TN screens.  New 3DS models are a range.  Mine apparently is bottom IPS, top TN, but a good TN and well calibrated TN where it almost functions like an IPS, but the viewing angles left to right are teh giveaway, while up and down are fluid with no colour saturation or blacks going white/whites going black reversals.  First one recorded that I can find.  It's either Dual IPS, IPS top/TN bottom, or dual TN.

The funny thing is Nintendo bothered with no quality control at all, because the IPS screens have no fixed calibration, and no unit group indicator (it's literally a crapshoot regardless of model, though some models are always and only TN).  So you have green oriented, and blue oriented screens.

Not sure what I was getting at...there was a point in there somewhere.  I just lost track of it.

FAQ writing is hard work.  Far more so than I ever anticipated.  Also depends on what you're doing.  If you're grabbing already existing data and just distributing it, and formatting it, it's a no brainer.  Work load in the writing yes, but going for extra bits...stuff you have to experience and test in a game, that's when things get really time consuming.  Especially if you want to say you deserve credit for your own work beyond just writing it.  I think that's a good idea for a FAQ.  Though I'm not familiar enough with Pokemon to know exactly what you're referring to by Apprentice guide.  I'm guessing you take apprenticeship with different gym's?  They help your pokemon grow simply by affiliation or something, kind of like BoF3 and 4's master/apprentice system?

The 3DS.  Mostly because it's hardier and it's my original system.  I've dropped my DS Lite four times on tile floors and the damage showed from the first, until I bought a case, I had already dropped this N3DS twice...nothing, not a hint of any damage.  The only scuffing I have is from placing it on rougher surfaces where in the process of picking it up and putting it down it rubbed at certain points, removing the exterior finish at certain edges.  It's my favourite colour on the inside (2 colours actually depending on the angle of the light...either Indigo Blue normally, or when the sun hits it, more of a royal blue colour.

After the Nintendo Switch announcement, I'm waiting for January 1st to figure things out, depending on what the special/extra content is, either I save up for a Switch, or just get the game and wait until I have the money.

In the meantime I've decided to get Amazon's UPS unit.  $37, it's reliable, works, but it's only two flaws: no auto-reset, have to manually reset, and hard/impossible to change the battery if it dies, but 4~8 years, 6 average for battery backup is sufficient.

If the content sucks, or doesn't entice me, I'll probably get a second N3DS or a N2DS (most likely the latter, unless I can find a N3DS in very good to great condition w/charger under 150).

I really appreciate the input.

Edited by ignasia
3 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

I'm not sure about cheap options, the one I bought was almost $200. I can post a link when I get home.

Well, out of my price range now, but always good to know for down the road.  Much obliged.

Edited by ignasia
On 12/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, ignasia said:

LOL, I didn't mean rock on your parade with the Gamestop stuff.  As I said though given the nature of the 3DS it's likely they might not do a terrible job at least not in the sense of a PS3 or 360 unit that's bound to break or overheat and bend/destroy itself in a matter of months, forcing a return for store credit going to a new unit.

So it's probably a safe bet.  The biggest issue is screen types.  Not sure what you'd get in Gamestop, but it's a crapshoot buying outright with the N3DS.

New 2DS units are only TN screens.  New 3DS models are a range.  Mine apparently is bottom IPS, top TN, but a good TN and well calibrated TN where it almost functions like an IPS, but the viewing angles left to right are teh giveaway, while up and down are fluid with no colour saturation or blacks going white/whites going black reversals.  First one recorded that I can find.  It's either Dual IPS, IPS top/TN bottom, or dual TN.

The funny thing is Nintendo bothered with no quality control at all, because the IPS screens have no fixed calibration, and no unit group indicator (it's literally a crapshoot regardless of model, though some models are always and only TN).  So you have green oriented, and blue oriented screens.

Not sure what I was getting at...there was a point in there somewhere.  I just lost track of it.

FAQ writing is hard work.  Far more so than I ever anticipated.  Also depends on what you're doing.  If you're grabbing already existing data and just distributing it, and formatting it, it's a no brainer.  Work load in the writing yes, but going for extra bits...stuff you have to experience and test in a game, that's when things get really time consuming.  Especially if you want to say you deserve credit for your own work beyond just writing it.  I think that's a good idea for a FAQ.  Though I'm not familiar enough with Pokemon to know exactly what you're referring to by Apprentice guide.  I'm guessing you take apprenticeship with different gym's?  They help your pokemon grow simply by affiliation or something, kind of like BoF3 and 4's master/apprentice system?

The 3DS.  Mostly because it's hardier and it's my original system.  I've dropped my DS Lite four times on tile floors and the damage showed from the first, until I bought a case, I had already dropped this N3DS twice...nothing, not a hint of any damage.  The only scuffing I have is from placing it on rougher surfaces where in the process of picking it up and putting it down it rubbed at certain points, removing the exterior finish at certain edges.  It's my favourite colour on the inside (2 colours actually depending on the angle of the light...either Indigo Blue normally, or when the sun hits it, more of a royal blue colour.

Don't worry, I didn't take it badly at all. It works fine enough for me, the lost functions of the New XL aside. Just another nail in the Gamestop coffin is all.

The screen thing is interesting but I have no idea of how to check what mine is (a spec. sheet, perhaps?).

Oh, the FAQ I have in mind will be a nightmare, no question. The Apprentice system in Emerald is one of the features of the Battle Frontier, the post-game gauntlet challenge area. After arriving, one of your character's fans will be there and ask you a question about battle, which he'll do once a day. After about a week's worth of questions, the fan will leave and join the roster of Frontier NPCs that you can fight with or against and you'll get a new apprentice in his stead; depending on your "coaching", they can either become weak or formidable. The main issue I have is that there's no full list of possible apprentices, which irks me; the apprentice system has been at the back of my mind for a decade and a half, because when I played Emerald I encountered an apprentice with striking similarity to a relatively important NPC from Diamond and Pearl and it was a high-school headcanon of mine that they were the same character.

I don't usually put my handhelds through physical damage; I prefer to waterboard them. Back in High School I dropped my original DS in the bathtub and was luckily able to restart it after a few days of tinkering (I didn't know how to do proper water damage repair) though the screen suffered some permanent dimming. I've also mentioned my old N3DSXL's fate here and elsewhere on the forum.

• Like 1

@GrandAlchemist  Nice.  That's better than the Cyberpower one I purchased ages ago (625VA/500W), but it looks like the 450VA ones they have now.  Going to have to get the cheaper one now, get a better one down the road, or two, or three.

@JaybirdC 

It's not always easy to tell.  In light, it's REALLY hard to tell, especially with screen protectors on.  Best done in the dark so you don't have light reflection issues, or mulitple sources giving a poor read due to absorption.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/71842434

Certain colours make it easier to tell I guess, but that might help.  Also extra tidbits on the differences.  There are some reddit posts all about it if you want me to find those, and a few on forums like gbatemp or neogaf, I forget which.  Might be both.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-tn-and-ips-displays-which-does-my-3ds-have.409925/