Akira Toriyama Dragon Quest Illustrations - US Edition

Snagged a copy of this book a little early. Here's a quick rundown.

This is exactly like its Japanese counterpart, except in English. It's practically perfect. The only cut content seems to be a few filler pages in the beginning. The book feels smaller than the original. The US edition uses a thinner matte stock, comparable to most art books. The Japanese original uses a thicker glossy stock. I can't say one is better or worse. Looking at pages 142-143, the colors for the DQ VIII cover in the original are a bit more vibrant, while the V-Jump alternate cover looks way better in the US version. Almost like they got a better source file.

The layout of the original book was right to left, which is unusual. Most art books tend to be western style. The US edition is left to right.

I'm not a huge fan of the font for the cover, but that's just me. Interestingly enough, Square Enix is only mentioned once on the copyright page, which may be why the DQ logo is not used. This book was a 100% Shueisha deal. That also may be why games and characters that haven't been localized are 100% Romanized. Instead of "Terry's Wonderland" it's "Terry no Wandaarando." DQ X's Elves, Dwarves, and Ogres are "Erufu," "Dowaafu," and "Ooga."

This is everything you've ever wanted. $35 is a steal. Sure, you can order it on Amazon, if you've got a Barnes & Noble or other bookstore, head down and buy from them. Talk to some folks and browse the shelves. Getting things cheap is cool, but nothing beats browsing a shelf and discovering treasures a web site can't always show you.

• Like 1

I ordered it a while ago. Should be here soon.

I got my copy in. The art is fantastic, but the hardcover was damaged, so I'm getting an expedited replacement for it. The Hardcover has been torn and separated at the spine right there and is covered with dings all over the edges and backside. I don't know how this made it past the shipper.

image0.jpg?width=351&height=468

16 minutes ago, SonofErdrick said:

Can someone please give me the full title of the book?

Dragon Quest Illustrations: 30th Anniversary Edition

Amazon link to it - https://amzn.to/2EhHSxz

Hold up, TWO pieces of monster art were cut. Can you guess which ones?

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

Hold up, TWO pieces of monster art were cut. Can you guess which ones?

Is it the witch and pervy looking guy monsters from DQ8?

I’m legit asking if those are the ones because I’m not 100% sure which ones you’re referring to Dwaine.

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Is it the witch and pervy looking guy monsters from DQ8?

I’m legit asking if those are the ones because I’m not 100% sure which ones you’re referring to Dwaine.

This is a game! When reading the section, see if you notice something missing!

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

This is a game! When reading the section, see if you notice something missing!

I don’t have the book yet and don’t know when I will. Can you at least give me a hint to what game in the series it relates to?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

On my Christmas wish list.