Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Square Enix Hosting Dragon Quest XI S Stage Show at Jump Festa 2019

https://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-sharing-dragon-quest-xi-s-news-at-jump-festa-2019/

Square Enix finally gave an update on the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI at the Tokyo Game Show a few months ago. We now know that it's called Dragon Quest XI S, but not much else. That'll be changing in just a couple of weeks.

Square Enix has confirmed a stage show for Dragon Quest XI at Jump Festa 2019. It'll be held on December 22 at the following times:

- 10 PM PT (December 21)

- 1 AM ET

- 6 AM in the UK

- 7 AM in Europe

We have a link to a live stream for the stage show below. It will be attended by series creator Yuji Horii, producer Hokuto Okamoto, and director Takeshi Uchikawa. A surprise guest has also been teased.

Source

I think this is a very pleasant surprise, because I thought early 2019 is the earliest Square Enix will talk about Dragon Quest XI S. But fortunately, I was wrong. It's going to be hard waiting two weeks for Dragon Quest XI S news.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 2

All the important people will be there it seems. I'm waiting for this version so I'm hyped to see what they announce. Too bad that it will be in japanese but whatever.

On 12/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, Enclave said:

They really should release the Switch version worldwide simultaneously, hope they do.

I agree. But I think it depends on if Square Enix wants to work with Nintendo in releasing Dragon Quest XI S simultaneously worldwide, considering Nintendo released Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII simultaneously in North America and Europe.

Since the game is already localized now, I'd say there's a good chance they are going for a worldwide release of the port.

Falcom did that for the Switch version of Ys 8, and that game originally took more than a year to get localized! 

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

Since the game is already localized now, I'd say there's a good chance they are going for a worldwide release of the port.

Falcom did that for the Switch version of Ys 8, and that game originally took more than a year to get localized! 

I think it depends on how much new additional content will be present on Dragon Quest XI S, which may require additional localisation. But I'm hopeful for a simultaneous worldwide release for Dragon Quest XI S.

20 hours ago, Dakhil said:

I agree. But I think it depends on if Square Enix wants to work with Nintendo in releasing Dragon Quest XI S simultaneously worldwide, considering Nintendo released Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII simultaneously in North America and Europe.

They really don't need Nintendo at all, the localisation is essentially already done and by Squenix.  This game is absolutely going to be published by Squenix directly, not Nintendo.

58 minutes ago, Enclave said:

They really don't need Nintendo at all, the localisation is essentially already done and by Squenix.  This game is absolutely going to be published by Squenix directly, not Nintendo.

Yep.  New content wouldn't be that story/text heavy, unless it's the entire 3DS extra content + others.  Even then, nowhere near as expansive as the original game, so it wouldn't take that long. 

It's also not out of the realm of possibility the localization team is working alongside the Switch development team as they've completed new content.  It isn't like closed communication and in-company torrent services haven't been around for some time.  Plus whoever would do the work would have been contracted awhile back.

So definitely they could handle a worldwide release.

Even DQ's 1~3 iOS/Droid were so close on the heels of Japan they could easily have begun working on 3 while SE was finalizing the project for the Japanese market.

6 had some changes as well, and it's release was within days in the West of the Japanese release.  Almost worldwide.  Though very very few text changes.

In this case we have a game that's been in the works since Feb/March of '17, so already that's 1 year and 9~10 months.  Ample time in that period for them to have worked out and utilized Localization services, or at least worked out everything they would need for localization if they're hiring now, or soon after this reveal.  This would give plenty of room for completing and testing allowing for, if not a worldwide simultaneous release, a release right on the heels of Japan (within a month).

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/dragon-quest-xi-s-launches-in-2019-in-japan-teaser-trailer

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S will launch for Switch in 2019 in Japan, Square Enix announced at Jump Festa 2019.

The Switch version of Dragon Quest XI includes optional Japanese voice-overs, which were not included in the original PlayStation 4 version. The announced voiced cast is as follows:

Erik (voiced by Kouki Uchiyama)

Veronica (voiced by Maaya Uchida)

Serena (voiced by Sora Amamiya)

Sylvando (voiced by Masaya Onosaka)

Rab (voiced by Mugihito)

Jade (voiced by Ami Koshimizu)

Square Enix also mentioned that it is preparing a surprise concerning Dragon Quest XI S for January 1, 2019.

While further information was not announced, Square Enix will host a "Dragon Quest XI Channel S" live stream featuring game designer and scenario writer Yuji Horii, producer Hokuto Okamoto, and more in January 2019. You will be able to watch it on YouTube and Niconico.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age is available now worldwide for PlayStation 4 and PC. A 3DS version is also available in Japan.

Watch the teaser trailer for the Switch version below. Visit the official website here.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

Wow they'r really going for highlighting the letter "S".

You've got an S in the logo art, and the S next to the full title just below the logo, and the S in the stage announcement, and the three S's in "Special Stage S!"

I'm kind of excited.  I think I'll make my final decision as to what I'll spend and save after the events here...though I'm definitely going for a cheap but reliable PSU for now.

Edit...ok so I missed it then.  Damn. Anyway, given the timeline of development I really hope they have more than just a direct port with Japanese VA.  I #$*!ing hope they have something special to showcase in January, as this is exceedingly disappointing.  All that time for graphical fidelity (looks amazing for a Switch port though).

Edited by ignasia

2 hours ago, ignasia said:

Wow they'r really going for highlighting the letter "S".

You've got an S in the logo art, and the S next to the full title just below the logo, and the S in the stage announcement, and the three S's in "Special Stage S!"

I'm kind of excited.  I think I'll make my final decision as to what I'll spend and save after the events here...though I'm definitely going for a cheap but reliable PSU for now.

Edit...ok so I missed it then.  Damn. Anyway, given the timeline of development I really hope they have more than just a direct port with Japanese VA.  I #$*!ing hope they have something special to showcase in January, as this is exceedingly disappointing.  All that time for graphical fidelity (looks amazing for a Switch port though).

I guess we'll see next year (which is 9 days from today, which is mindblowing). But otherwise, I agree.

I have a feeling Square Enix is intentionally waiting until 2019 to drop more information regarding Dragon Quest XI S. But maybe that's just me being optimistic.

1 hour ago, Dakhil said:

I guess we'll see next year (which is 9 days from today, which is mindblowing). But otherwise, I agree.

I have a feeling Square Enix is intentionally waiting until 2019 to drop more information regarding Dragon Quest XI S. But maybe that's just me being optimistic.

Yeah, I'm hoping for a repeat of DQ7+8's announcements, where literally an hour before it happened I posted that I give up, it's not happening, walked away from the computer, and hours later returned to see all the hullabaloo.  Hoping in 9 days (yeah...that is a bit nuts isn't it, lol, the year already over as well).

I think you're definitely correct on this.  Plus it's a smart tactic.  Starting at the beginning of the new year, as though this year is the year of the PS4/PC release (in the world anyway), and next year is all about and total focus on the Switch.

Plus with the focus on the S, and the way Horii initially teased the term "special" back in October would indicate a fair amount of extra content.  Though being skeptical is always a smart tactic.

I can't wait for eal to pop in and say "told you so, it's just going to be a port, I don't want to be a dick about it, but the Switch on its own is too popular so why would they need to focus on new content, and instead just assure maximum graphics at a perfect 30FPS to increase quality at the gate?"  That would take time, but I don't see it taking that much time...depends on the size of the team though, and frankly SE is so mum and airtight about the Switch development.  Quite a spectacular feat to not even have rumours leaking.  There were FF12 ZA rumours circulating 2 years prior to announcement.  Including certain content details that turned out to be accurate.

Edited by ignasia

I’m just disappointed that they only showed the PS4-style graphics.

When they showed us the first footage of DQ11, I was much more excited for the 3DS version, and the people I know who have played them both say the 3DS version is the better version, so since we didn’t get that version, I was really hoping the Switch version would have the 3DS content and art style options as well.

I’ll continue hoping they were focused on the voices for this presentation and will show off the 3DS stuff later until they say something definitive.

7 hours ago, MKVarana said:

I’m just disappointed that they only showed the PS4-style graphics.

When they showed us the first footage of DQ11, I was much more excited for the 3DS version, and the people I know who have played them both say the 3DS version is the better version, so since we didn’t get that version, I was really hoping the Switch version would have the 3DS content and art style options as well.

I’ll continue hoping they were focused on the voices for this presentation and will show off the 3DS stuff later until they say something definitive.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Square Enix is waiting until 2019 to reveal loads of information on Dragon Quest XI S. Besides, Yuji Horii teased a surprise for Dragon Quest XI S on New Year's Day, so that's got to be worth something.

Looks like I was completely wrong. I didn't see any "surprise" about Dragon Quest XI S on New Year's Day. Way to go, me.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dakhil said:

Looks like I was completely wrong. I didn't see any "surprise" about Dragon Quest XI S on New Year's Day. Way to go, me.

How is that your fault.  Perhaps something went wrong, or they weren't able to organize in time.  We barely know anything about the game except for the sales pitch for Japan, and even then only one of the three meanings for "S" Horii stated back in October.

OR, they though better of it, because of proximity to DQB2, and felt maybe it's not a the best time to overshadow that release and "compete with themselves."

OR, the only surprise planned is this page, which released on January 1st at 00:01 in Japan:

http://www.dq11.jp/s/omikuji2019/index.html

You get your fortune told by typing into the box, and hitting the 2019 link below.  Then there's a second link below that which brings one to a new hub for DQ11:

http://www.dq11.jp/gate.html

I mean in the statement he never indicated anything about an information reveal, and thinking about DQ Builders 2, that would be stupid as it's on the Switch as well.  I think we just jumped the gun in assuming information, but it's not time yet to do so.  I suspect we'll get in-depth stuff next month.

Hell, if you check SE Japan, DQ11 is not listed as a Switch game officially yet.  Probably to keep the spotlight on Builders 2, which is the only game on the front page, being the newest release and the current face of both DQ and SE.

Edited by ignasia

15 minutes ago, ignasia said:

How is that your fault.  Perhaps something went wrong, or they weren't able to organize in time.  We barely know anything about the game except for the sales pitch for Japan, and even then only one of the three meanings for "S" Horii stated back in October.

I have hyped up the "surprise" at New Year's Day for Dragon Quest XI S if you take a look at one of my previous comments, for nothing.

Just now, Dakhil said:

I have hyped up the "surprise" at New Year's Day for Dragon Quest XI S if you take a look at one of my previous comments, for nothing.

So did I.  Not a big deal though.  The one thing that's for sure is the time taken to produce this version will include far more time adding in content than just VA work, but the video given is literally the PS4 original video redone for the Switch.  So we get nothing of new content.

Plus, despite what some might say, Japan is not exactly used to new DQ releases without extra content, nor do they like it.  VA wouldn't qualify, as it's just changing the experience of existing content.

DQ3 mobile's sales again are due to the game going free.  SE hasn't exactly bragged about PS4 and 3DS sales, which means they're low.  The other DQ mobile games are on par with Western sales in terms of numbers moved (at least on the google app store).  Would be nice to know what iTunes numbers are, even if a range.  Meaning they're not exactly doing well.

So there will be a point where they will do a fuller disclosure.