Sign in to follow this  
NeoDevilbane

Connections between Dragon Quests post-DQ VI?

On 10/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, Plattym3 said:

DQ is more the name-drop.

Personally, I don't like this either. I mean--DQVIII featured Ramia. It was more than just some easter egg because she outright says that she has flown through "other worlds" and met "other heroes".

I seriously think Horii is either being severely misunderstood/mistranslated or he has forgotten aspects of his own story.

All that Erdrick and Zenithian equipment in DQIX are things I can accept as non-canon easter eggs, yes--but I can't accept "Oh, the Zenithian trilogy isn't really a trilogy!" from him as an explanation when the first two games directly reference each other and the third lacks a dragon but then shows a dragon egg hatching in the end. I've never liked all these explanations for the Zenithia trilogy.

PS: Just know I'm not at ALL directing this rant toward you personally, Platty. I hope you know that. I'm just ranting in general because I've heard some of this crap before about Zenithia and I don't believe Horii at all on this front.

Jump on board with this calling BS action: Bianca and Flora have yellow and blue hair for a reason. They are descended from a very specific half-Zenithian with green hair. Yellow + Blue = Green. Come on now.

Jump on board with this calling BS action: Bianca and Flora have yellow and blue hair for a reason. They are descended from a very specific half-Zenithian with green hair. Yellow + Blue = Green. Come on now.
Connection confirmed.

https://www.moso-briorious.com/entry/2018/04/11/前回の大陸移動説より、更にドラクエ8の地形も

A rather interesting theory that I never thought about. Basically the guy's theory is that DQVIII takes place between DQXI and DQIII, based on geographical world evolution. Since DQIII's world is meant to be Earth, he looked at worldmaps from primodial continents from different time periods like Permian era, Cretaceous era etc. And if III world looks like modern-time earth, turns out VIII's world kinda look like the Cretaeous world a little bit. As for XI world, it would be insired by the Pangea era, while noting that Pangea is made from the words pan and gaia, Gaia being a name frequently seen in DQ games (Gaia's Hammer notably). 

If it was just that, I personnaly wouldn't have payed much attention, but when you start looking at things like the fact that these three games are the only ones where we are tasked with retrieving 6 orbs, when you look at the Dragovian race, the Lord of the Dragovian, and the Dragon Queen and the Dragonlord, then the ressemblance between Yggdragon from XI, the dragon appearence of the Lord of the Dragovian and how his ultimate form is very similar to the Dragonlord's draconic appeareance... Plus now the fact that in XI you can have VIII world theme playing too, making XI the very first DQ numerical games where you can have the world map theme of another DQ game playing. 

Spoiler

It is also interesting that in one of the latest chapter in a DQ manga (Emblem of Roto: Heirs of the Crest or something, hard to say since there isn't an official translation in English) set between DQIII and DQI, someone talks about what makes a "hero" genetically speaking. As in, why are Erdrick and his descendants and ancestors so freaking damn powerful? In this chapter (I'll do my best to find it back and until I do you can actually skip this part haha), they say that Erdrick might actually have a bit of sacred and Dragovian blood or something. It isn't clear so far, but I'll definitively try to look into it a little bit more.

Now of course there are some holes in his theory, like the Empyrea/Ramia thing. If Empyrea says that in another world she's beng called Ramia then this must mean that VIII is a separate world from III, cause otherwise she would have come from the futur, but she only travels from dimension to dimension, right? 

Anyway, I just thought that this was an interesting read and theory and wanted to share it with you. ^^

Personally I’ve always thought Dragon Quest 1-3 are connected. I mean, they DO all mention Erdrick. It’s probably more of a reference than anything though.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Personally I’ve always thought Dragon Quest 1-3 are connected. I mean, they DO all mention Erdrick. It’s probably more of a reference than anything though.

You know what? I think you might be on to something 😁

About Empyréa/Ramia tho, in Heroes since she brings back everybody home, and considering that DQV is set in the futur of DQIV, she must also be able to time travel. The bird is a literall TARDIS. So she could have go from DQIII to DQVIII just to lay an egg or something. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Easter eggs. Nothing more. ;)

On 10/6/2019 at 6:28 AM, Xiggy said:

You know what? I think you might be on to something 😁

About Empyréa/Ramia tho, in Heroes since she brings back everybody home, and considering that DQV is set in the futur of DQIV, she must also be able to time travel. The bird is a literall TARDIS. So she could have go from DQIII to DQVIII just to lay an egg or something. 

If you go by the supposed Horii view of things (which I still question the validity of the translation), Ramia in DQVIII is nothing more than an easter egg. Oh, and DQIV and V having a master dragon while VI doesn't but DOES feature an egg hatching at the end that everyone views as important? Nope--it's not connected. Just a coincidence.

Either Horii went "Full Lucas" or someone didn't translate his responses properly because Dragon Quest IV-VI is a trilogy and I don't care if Horii allegedly disagrees. Don't present your series like a trilogy if you don't want people to think it's a trilogy. Not hard to figure out. I hate it when creators pull that bs. Still, I'm giving Horii the benefit of the doubt that he either didn't understand the line of questioning or the people who translated it did so very badly. For God's sake, V references IV numerous times. Hell, the entire damn cast of IV and V appear in VI as part of the bonus material and the damn Secret of Evolution is used in V. Oh, and Nadiria is featured in two games.

But nope--it's not connected at all, OBVIOUSLY. Sure, VI didn't include a dragon but then shows an egg hatching at the end with the implication that that will be their future leader while all of the Dream World dissolves away, leaving Zenithia in a true origin story format but it's OBVIOUSLY not a prequel to IV and V and it's OBVIOUSLY not the birth of the dragon even though the game is screaming that a dragon is about to hatch and become their leader but NOPE--no connection at all there! OK, Horii...OK...whatever you say. ;)

As for your Ramia reference--I would think that DQVIII would likely take place after III since she mentions how she's helped heroes in the past in a world where she was called "Ramia".

I absolutely LOVE the thought of Erdrea being a Pangaea of the alternate Earth from III, though. It actually makes a strange bit of sense as well: Erdrea sounds like an anagram for "Earth" and "Pangaea" merged into one name and it helps explain why the orbs are in both XI and III. Plus, if you examine Edrea and DQIII's earth map, the continents all seem to match where they should be after a continental split.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

-I would think that DQVIII would likely take place after III since she mentions how she's helped heroes in the past in a world where she was called "Ramia".

Well not necessarily. If you can time-travel then the past can become the futur and vice-versa. It's a stretch for sure, but from Ramia's point of view, DQIII might have just happened before she went to DQVIII's time period :P

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey ! 

1 hour ago, Xiggy said:

Well not necessarily. If you can time-travel then the past can become the futur and vice-versa. It's a stretch for sure, but from Ramia's point of view, DQIII might have just happened before she went to DQVIII's time period :P

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey ! 

Regardless, I'm sure there's some interview transcript out there somewhere that claims Horii said Ramia was nothing more than an easter egg or something. ;)

Oh yeah yeah yeah, that's probably the case. As I said, it's just a theory that I find interesting, and since Nintendo said canon is relative players anyway, what Horii said doesn't actually matter anymore :'D

22 minutes ago, Xiggy said:

Oh yeah yeah yeah, that's probably the case. As I said, it's just a theory that I find interesting, and since Nintendo said canon is relative players anyway, what Horii said doesn't actually matter anymore :'D

After that Zenithia interview, what he says doesn't matter to ME anymore either. I love your stuff, Horii, but your talk about the chronology of the games is like listening to Miyamoto explain the Zelda timeline...no thanks.  :laugh: