Yacynth

Dragon Warrior Online -

Poll  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DW3 is definitely one of my favourite games and a few years ago I've had and idea to convert it to multiplayer (and change gameplay to real time combat ofc). Server/Client are things that you use to build your own Tibia server and it's open source, basically a complete engine for your 2d mmo with very active community. At the time I wasn't as aware of NES's limits so some sprites have more colours that they should. The thing that was also a problem was that Tibia uses 32x32 sprites so every DQ sprite would have to be resized 2x. It sucks because some objects would still move by 1px and that looked very unNESish. My C++ knowledge is very basic so I wasn't able to change sprite size, it would require changing tools like map editor and that's completely beyond of what I can do. I'm not able to write a map converter, so you can imagine how much time I spent recreating every detail of the map square by square. Even if it would have been finished I'd probably get sued and nobody would want to play it anyway so the idea was abandoned. Too much work for one guy. I'm posting this because maybe someone will have fun looking at this and imagining how cool it would be to have a decent 8bit styled mmo ūüėä.
Album: https://imgur.com/a/vU0EIRK

I've recently been thinking on digging into a project like this again, but this time with 100% of my own assets and ideas. 

I briefly played a DQ MMO years ago that was made reusing assets from DQ 1-4 NES. Honestly, all I remember from the experience is that it wasn't terribly enjoyable. Not saying yours would be any better or worse... just not sure how enjoyable things like this can possibly be.

Was that mmo you played using turn based combat or real time combat? I've been playing Ragnarok Online for a long long time and my focus would definitely be dynamic pvp stuff like castle sieges or battlegrounds. I'm always in favor of cutting out as much boring grind as possible.

I briefly played a DQ MMO. It was called Dragon Quest X. It was rather enjoyable, despite the language barrier.

I played Dragon Warrior Online a little when BYOND was a thing. I don't remember much about it though, other than the BYOND client being a piece of garbage.

There's a faux 8-bit MMO running today that *doesn't* steal assets from DQ - NEStalgia. It's OK - very reminiscent of DQ gameplay-wise, though it falls short of emulating the experience well.

From what I've seen Nestalgia very often uses 4-5 colors in their sprites and that makes graphics seem like average MS Paint pixelart rather than retro styled gfx. It's turn based so there's always place for my project I think.

Why limit yourself to 8-bit though, why not at the least 16-bit? Is it mostly due to nostalgia-sim?

On 11/25/2018 at 7:06 PM, Othienka said:

Why limit yourself to 8-bit though, why not at the least 16-bit? Is it mostly due to nostalgia-sim?

Yes, it's nostalgia factor mostly, and I've always been more of an 8bit than 16bit guy. Making assets is way easier and faster too, that counts especially when you're working alone.

DW3 is also my favorite and I love the NES version. (Surprises me so many people said no in the polls.). Yea 8 bit MMO would be awesome! I hope you go through with it.

Edited by Reddragon18

On 12/12/2018 at 2:19 PM, Reddragon18 said:

(Surprises me so many people said no in the polls.).

When it comes right down to it, it's just 3 people. :laugh:

Testing my sprites ingame. I suck at graphics, tried my best to replicate dw3 nes feel. Google Chrome makes it blurry, it looks right when you download it and open with default windows photo viewer or mspaint.

mlJiNEo.png

Edited by Yacynth

Looks cool so far.

• Like 1

Silk Wizard's Dragon Warrior Online was fun. It was the first DQ-MMO I ever played and as a fan-made game it came out 10 years before the official release of DQX. The navigation wasn't a perfect emulation of the original games, but it was close enough.

7 minutes ago, Liamland said:

Silk Wizard's Dragon Warrior Online was fun. It was the first DQ-MMO I ever played and as a fan-made game it came out 10 years before the official release of DQX. The navigation wasn't a perfect emulation of the original games, but it was close enough.

I always meant to play that more, I created an account and played it for a while, then forgot about it. It was a very cool development 

I loved that game. So many memories. I remember spamming a tool shop glitch which helped you buy unlimited Medical Herbs for hard monster grinding. I also remembered getting bullied by this one "guild" group that would always hang out in the same room in the Inn of a town and they would attack and kill you if you tried to enter.

If Beyond or anything similar ever made a comeback...... Dragon Warrior Classic Online........???? :tounge2::tounge2::tounge2:

Gave it a try a couple times. It was long past its prime by then. Good idea, but I was past my 8-bit gaming days too.